• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I know there's that one song for BOTW that never appeared in the actual game, but other than that, a song appearing in a trailer/advertisement, but not in the actual game thankfully isn't a recurring thing for Nintendo games. Now there's a very tiny chance that a situation like with BOTW can rear its head again after 7 years, but consider Nintendo hasn't done anything like that since, it's highly unlikely.
It's not that uncommon. This timestamped track from Strikers Battle League's overview trailer doesn't show up in the game either.

I know there's that one song for BOTW that never appeared in the actual game, but other than that, a song appearing in a trailer/advertisement, but not in the actual game thankfully isn't a recurring thing for Nintendo games. Now there's a very tiny chance that a situation like with BOTW can rear its head again after 7 years, but consider Nintendo hasn't done anything like that since, it's highly unlikely.

Happened with TotK too iirc

It's not that uncommon. This timestamped track from Strikers Battle League's overview trailer doesn't show up in the game either.

Happened with TotK too iirc
Still, I'm confident that all the music you hear in the trailer will be in the game.
Edit: Although I will say that when I was quoting both of you, I was thinking that TOTK has probably done the same thing its predecessor did, I just wasn't sure; however, Mario Strikers Battle League is surprising to me.

The difference with the BotW/TotK themes is that those were clearly made for their respective final trailers. Same with the reveal trailers for Mario Maker 2 and Game Builder Garage.

Here, it’s just music placed onto a random assortment of gameplay clips, so I’m more inclined to believe it’s actually in the game.

The difference with the BotW/TotK themes is that those were clearly made for their respective final trailers. Same with the reveal trailers for Mario Maker 2 and Game Builder Garage.

Here, it’s just music placed onto a random assortment of gameplay clips, so I’m more inclined to believe it’s actually in the game.
Wait, Super Mario Maker 2?!

Yeah there was a remix of the Mario World overworld theme that swapped through all the styles. It rules and I wish they put it in the game somewhere.

I had forgotten about this track, despite not being super into the Maker games the track alone got me hyped for Mario Maker2 and it's so catchy I am surprised they didn't use it in game.

Last edited:
Yeah there was a remix of the Mario World overworld theme that swapped through all the styles. It rules and I wish they put it in the game somewhere.

That direct was pretty crazy because they revealed not 1, nor 2, but 3 big brand new games that all release within 7 months of the direct. SMM2, Astral Chain, and Link's Awakening Remake

So...

there's no way TTYD remake is the only game Intelligent Systems has been making in the past 4 years.

I bet they already committed to making a next gen Paper Mario alongside this, at least some time ago.
Probably in the same style too.

So...

there's no way TTYD remake is the only game Intelligent Systems has been making in the past 4 years.
You're right! They've also made Fire Emblem Engage and 2 WarioWare titles, with another Fire Emblem title likely in the pipeline.

As much as a faithful remake would seem like it would take less time than a brand new game, it's quite clear they're not keeping a lot of the aesthetic foundation. It's getting the same level of visual work as a brand new Paper Mario game would, with a ton of new details and completely redone... everything, not really working off the GC models and animations at all. With how much the gameplay has changed over the decades, there's not much of Origami King's battle system that they could smartly reuse for this game, and they've even thrown out the sprite style of that game. It seems quite likely to me that there won't be another Paper Mario game for another 4 years after this.

You're right! They've also made Fire Emblem Engage and 2 WarioWare titles, with another Fire Emblem title likely in the pipeline.

As much as a faithful remake would seem like it would take less time than a brand new game, it's quite clear they're not keeping a lot of the aesthetic foundation. It's getting the same level of visual work as a brand new Paper Mario game would, with a ton of new details and completely redone... everything, not really working off the GC models and animations at all. With how much the gameplay has changed over the decades, there's not much of Origami King's battle system that they could smartly reuse for this game, and they've even thrown out the sprite style of that game. It seems quite likely to me that there won't be another Paper Mario game for another 4 years after this.
Yeah true. I was hoping maybe like 2027 sometime.

I listened to it again, and... I think it's new? I can't place it anywhere in the soundtrack. Someone else feel free to correct me though. Wonder where it will be used?

Parlor mini-game I think makes a lot of sense if that is what it will be used for.

Feels a bit like the chase after the yoshi egg in glitzvile

I'd be curious if they ever remaster Super Paper Mario (don't think it needs a remake). I haven't played the game since launch so I'd be kinda curious to revisit it despite mostly not really liking it at the time.

I'd be curious if they ever remaster Super Paper Mario (don't think it needs a remake). I haven't played the game since launch so I'd be kinda curious to revisit it despite mostly not really liking it at the time.
I think Super Paper Mario HD is their late Switch 2 game

Intelligent Systems is absolutely GOATed. Paper Mario and Fire Emblem are two of my favourite series of all time. WarioWare is meh but that’s besides the point

Intelligent Systems is absolutely GOATed. Paper Mario and Fire Emblem are two of my favourite series of all time. WarioWare is meh but that’s besides the point

They are incredibly efficient in terms of release cadence, but their output isn’t consistent in terms of quality. The past 2 WarioWare games have been forgettable, Engage was below average, and Paper Mario went from a must-own franchise to a subpar series

Just preordered this game on Amazon taking advantage of a 10€ discount voucher. I never played the original so I'm pretty stoked.

They are incredibly efficient in terms of release cadence, but their output isn’t consistent in terms of quality. The past 2 WarioWare games have been forgettable, Engage was below average, and Paper Mario went from a must-own franchise to a subpar series
As far as Engage is concerned, most of its issues can at least be chalked up to it being an anniversary celebration title. The gameplay overall is great (with some balancing issues; it takes forever to grind supports and SP).

Last edited:

That's all subjective.

I love both switch WarioWares and don't understand what's subpar about them.

Haven't played any modern Paper Mario yet, but I know a lot of people prefer them to the old ones, and I might be one of those since I though the og PM was kinda boring.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a PM64 remake but I still think overall I’d prefer resources going towards new games, especially since the original PM64 is on NSO. TTYD getting a remake (or remakester if you prefer) is more understandable since this is the first rerelease of the game since the original 20 years ago.

Get It Together is mostly solid while Move It is really good imo.

PM64 is perfect as-is.

So is TTYD for that matter but Gamecube titles aren't allowed to be re-released normally for some reason.

That's all subjective.

I love both switch WarioWares and don't understand what's subpar about them.

Haven't played any modern Paper Mario yet, but I know a lot of people prefer them to the old ones, and I might be one of those since I though the og PM was kinda boring.

I didn't say WarioWare was subpar. I do think Get It Together! was interesting for its unique approach, but I didn't vibe with the minigames, presentation, or the characterization of the cast. Wario Ware Move It felt bland in comparison, more of what's expected. Neither of them were as good as Gold, and I'm burnt out on the series.

Regarding Paper Mario, the preference of which titles are better is completely subjective, I agree. However, if we use review scores to gauge the reception of the market, which I'd argue is one of the most common metrics used today, the quality of the titles have been steadily decreasing since the original 2, although TOK was a slight improvement over CS.

TOK would be the best of the bunch, if not for the boring battle mechanics. It's still better than all other games bar TTYD, though. Fight me

I didn't say WarioWare was subpar. I do think Get It Together! was interesting for its unique approach, but I didn't vibe with the minigames, presentation, or the characterization of the cast. Wario Ware Move It felt bland in comparison, more of what's expected. Neither of them were as good as Gold, and I'm burnt out on the series.

Regarding Paper Mario, the preference of which titles are better is completely subjective, I agree. However, if we use review scores to gauge the reception of the market, which I'd argue is one of the most common metrics used today, the quality of the titles have been steadily decreasing since the original 2, although TOK was a slight improvement over CS.
With that framework TTYD was a pretty big decline over 64 too! In fact it sits neatly in the middle of 64 and TOK.

I'm playing Mario RPG right now and, as simple as it is, I think it's the best RPG of the franchise, simply because it's the only one where the RPG part is actually fun. Both Paper Mario and M&L would be cool adventure games, but are held back by the slow and tedious RPG gameplay. I like RPGs btw, I just think the Mario ones haven't been well executed (except for the one that was made by SE, which is obviously not a coincidence).

So I 100% under the rationale behind removing the RPG part of PM and turning it into an adventure game. I'm very excited to try TOK.

Mario RPG certainly has a leg up on the other RPGs in terms of overall density and pacing. Amidst all the RPG mechanics it features that Mario & Luigi opts to streamline a tad, and that Paper Mario instead chooses to compartmentalize (no traditional damage/defense buffs, relying on badges, etc.), it's also just a no-filler type experience. I don't know if it's my favorite of the entire subseries but it is arguably one of the best constructed short-form RPGs ever made.

I just realized since allegedly we are getting previews and the embargo lifts on the 25th, Has Nintendo ever done previews for a remake in the Switch era? I’m asking for previews specifically not overviews.

I'm playing Mario RPG right now and, as simple as it is, I think it's the best RPG of the franchise, simply because it's the only one where the RPG part is actually fun. Both Paper Mario and M&L would be cool adventure games, but are held back by the slow and tedious RPG gameplay. I like RPGs btw, I just think the Mario ones haven't been well executed (except for the one that was made by SE, which is obviously not a coincidence).

So I 100% under the rationale behind removing the RPG part of PM and turning it into an adventure game. I'm very excited to try TOK.
Do you see yourself still buying the games if Nintendo was to drift away from the action adventure formula for Paper Mario(which I think is most likely going to happen considering the recent surveys regarding Paper Mario and Mario RPGs in particular)?

Quoted by: Leo

Personally, I feel the RPG gameplay of the first two Paper Mario games is vastly superior to that of Super Mario RPG. It's much more dynamic.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Do you see yourself still buying the games if Nintendo was to drift away from the action adventure formula for Paper Mario(which I think is most likely going to happen considering the recent surveys regarding Paper Mario and Mario RPGs in particular)?

I don't know, I guess it would depende if it was well executed. I'm gonna give TTYD a chance even if I didn't like PM64.

I'm really looking forward to playing TTYD Remake. I never played the original. It's crazy how the release date caught up to us, just about a month away.

Origami king was my first experience with the series and I thought it was pretty good but I fell off/didn’t finish it and I really had no desire to return to it.

Through convincing (invited me to their NSO family plan) my friends got me to play Paper Mario 64 and I actually had a good time with it. Which is why I’m now looking forward to giving TTYD a chance because I’ve been told its similar to the first one.

Unfortunately never had the opportunity to try the others, hopefully Nintendo ports the rest for me to try them. It’s so jarring how different they are from each other though.

It's interesting that we still don't know if there is anything new in terms of content in this remake yet. I think by this point leading up to SMRPG remake, we knew about boss rematches, no?

I really am not expecting anything substantial. Maybe some new badges or additional bosses/rematches in the Glitz Pit or Pit of 100 Trials. Though even that, I feel like we'd have heard of or seen by now.

It isn't like TTYD is really hurting for content, though. It's a bit more substantial of a game compared to SMRPG in that regard, I'd say. So maybe they just plan to leave it mostly as-is? It does feel kind of odd, though.

It's interesting that we still don't know if there is anything new in terms of content in this remake yet. I think by this point leading up to SMRPG remake, we knew about boss rematches, no?

I really am not expecting anything substantial. Maybe some new badges or additional bosses/rematches in the Glitz Pit or Pit of 100 Trials. Though even that, I feel like we'd have heard of or seen by now.

It isn't like TTYD is really hurting for content, though. It's a bit more substantial of a game compared to SMRPG in that regard, I'd say. So maybe they just plan to leave it mostly as-is? It does feel kind of odd, though.
My latest TTYD playthrough in 2016 took about 30 hours, and that's already when I knew the whole game and did all trouble center requests, but not the Pit. It's quite substantial!

I would of course love QoL changes and added stuff, but I'm past the point of expecting much at all.

Last edited:

At the very least, I'm expecting the soundtrack to be expanded so there probably won't be an option for the original soundtrack like with SMRPG, unless they just want to have less tracks like that.

At the very least, I'm expecting the soundtrack to be expanded so there probably won't be an option for the original soundtrack like with SMRPG, unless they just want to have less tracks like that.
I would be disappointed if that is the case, should be an option in every remake IMO.

I would be disappointed if that is the case, should be an option in every remake IMO.
The Nier Replicant remaster uses a remastered dynamic soundtrack instead of the original OST, and I can only imagine something about its dynamic state and additional songs makes it extremely difficult to mod in because it's been out for years now and there's still no complete OST mod for it.

The Nier Replicant remaster uses a remastered dynamic soundtrack instead of the original OST, and I can only imagine something about its dynamic state and additional songs makes it extremely difficult to mod in because it's been out for years now and there's still no complete OST mod for it.
For expansive and remakes that more or less reimagine the original game, I get it moreso. But for a game like this where it seems to skew almost 1:1 to the original, I think it should still be an option.

Back
Top Bottom