• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Man, the UI looks so much better.

I have to say, I've been playing the Mario and Luigi games from start to finish and I do hope it comes back as well...

Paper Mario kinda has better narrative and more RPG choice/strategy in the combat, but Mario and Luigi almost feels more like an action RPG version of Mario.
I think it exemplifies what the super mario genre is in an RPG format. You're basically platforming to avoid enemy attacks in the later games with how elaborate boss/enemy attack patterns get.

Both games are genius.

I have to say, I've been playing the Mario and Luigi games from start to finish and I do hope it comes back as well...

Paper Mario kinda has better narrative and more RPG choice/strategy in the combat, but Mario and Luigi almost feels more like an action RPG version of Mario.
I think it exemplifies what the super mario genre is in an RPG format. You're basically platforming to avoid enemy attacks in the later games with how elaborate boss/enemy attack patterns get.

Both games are genius.
ArtePiaza should remake the OG Mario & Luigi for Switch 2

Both games are genius.
For me what’s held back the M&L games compared to SMRPG and the first two PM games is the lack of a big party. That’s one of the main draws of any JRPG for me, going on an adventure with a party and that makes the M&L games feel limiting in a way. I also think they get bogged down big time in tutorials and mini games, but I would like to see a new entry that is allowed to be flexible with the setting and characters like the old games.

ArtePiaza should remake the OG Mario & Luigi for Switch 2
I think the last thing the series needs is another remake.

For me what’s held back the M&L games compared to SMRPG and the first two PM games is the lack of a big party. That’s one of the main draws of any JRPG for me, going on an adventure with a party and that makes the M&L games feel limiting in a way. I also think they get bogged down big time in tutorials and mini games, but I would like to see a new entry that is allowed to be flexible with the setting and characters like the old games.

I think the last thing the series needs is another remake.
I agree with tutorials and mini games.

I don't quite agree with the party part. So many diff rpgs out there. western ones and action rpgs, lots of them don't have parties.

What they could have continued to do is make more differentiating mechanics between what party members you do have...which they did start doing this in Dream Team. Mario and Luigi have diff bros. moves again. And then in Paper Jam, I'm hearing there's even more, and they even changed the "speed" stat to have a purpose. They were kinda figuring it out as they went along.

I do think it is much more similar to an action rpg. Like you can either go tanky or you can go damage-y or maybe do crits, and then speed was a new option in paper jam, apparently letting you get more turns, enemies also attack multiple times per turn. But the combat was always mostly about execution rather than just strategy.

I like that every game had a new party member to be honest. In PiT we got the babies, in BiS, you got bowser, in Dream Team you got dreamy luigi which I mean basically functions differently than overworld Luigi. and then in Paper Jam we got Paper Mario.

I boot up Dream Team again just to take another look at it, and it's really a beautiful game that executes its art style perfectly. It's a real shame AlphaDream went under, masters of a style that's hard to replicate.

I boot up Dream Team again just to take another look at it, and it's really a beautiful game that executes its art style perfectly. It's a real shame AlphaDream went under, masters of a style that's hard to replicate.
Yeah... sad.

I haven't researched whether Nintendo had absorbed some of the Alphadream employees or not.

Honestly I'd be totally fine with a new Mario RPG style game that combined elements of the previous ones. I just want something like those games again that isn't a remake. I'd even like to see a fully 3D one that maybe resembles the scope and feel of a Xenoblade game.

One of my personal hopes for any Mario RPG (not just Paper Mario) is that they take a crack at doing a final boss that is completely Bowser-free. Not only because the final boss is someone other than Bowser, but also that Bowser did not partake in assisting Mario to tackle the final threat (unlike Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope). It didn't occur to me how unique this set up was until I analysed the Mario RPGs.

The most that Bowser got was the area before the final arena, but he didn't become the final boss anyway.

Thank you for reading.

One of my personal hopes for any Mario RPG (not just Paper Mario) is that they take a crack at doing a final boss that is completely Bowser-free. Not only because the final boss is someone other than Bowser, but also that Bowser did not partake in assisting Mario to tackle the final threat (unlike Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope). It didn't occur to me how unique this set up was until I analysed the Mario RPGs.

The most that Bowser got was the area before the final arena, but he didn't become the final boss anyway.

Thank you for reading.

I guess they could take the Sonic Chronicles approach and have him show up to attack Mario after the final boss is dealt with, except with a "And The Adventure Continues" tone instead of "this is a cliffhanger that will never get followed up on" one. There's not a super huge range of options that give Bowser the agency he deserves - I can't see Nintendo even trying to pull a "he's just not in this game at all" at this point

I had a dream last night that the remake released, and it looked and played like shit.

So if you ever need any confirmation that dreams don’t mean anything and can be totally meaningless, there you go. 😉

Those aren’t quite HD, also the spritework is completely redone to be in Dream Team style. I’d imagine a faithful HD 2D reimagining would utilize the original spritework but polish it up
Well, yes and no. The HD2D style that Square Enix uses is apparently not easy to develop with.

But the larger issue is that the Mario & Luigi remakes that AlphaDream made just did not sell. And sure, it was the late 3DS era, but even Mario & Luigi fans weren't especially enthused by them.

Well, yes and no. The HD2D style that Square Enix uses is apparently not easy to develop with.

But the larger issue is that the Mario & Luigi remakes that AlphaDream made just did not sell. And sure, it was the late 3DS era, but even Mario & Luigi fans weren't especially enthused by them.

I bought them all cos I'm a huge Yoko Shimomura fan. But the remakes didn't offer anything interesting honestly... They were the slightest bit more modern looking, that's it.

I think this franchise deserves another shot.

Last edited:
I'll admit ML probably has better encounter design/battles than Paper Mario but Paper Mario beats ML narrative wise no competition.
ML is like a saturday morning cartoon where the plot points only exist to be a tutorial or teach you about what is right in front of your face. Everything goes by very fast and there is not really any character development. It's just comedic with tiny hints of tragedy here and there. The bosses pretty much never have any plot associated with them, they just show up to ruin your day towards the end of the area. It's silly fun.
SSS and Bowser's Inside Story were probably the most funny and developed. DT is a fairly minimalistic story so far.
I can't say much about PiT, it's been too long.

I'd say the highlights of ML are Yoko Shimomura's emotional intense music blasting during a crazy pseudo action rpg fights. Yeah, pretty much the gameplay. The fights and the puzzles as you are traversing the world.

Last edited:
Superstar Saga I think actually has arguably the best plot of any Mario game, for whatever that superlative is worth. After Chucklehuck Woods, it's a constantly evolving situation where the heroes are allowed to be proactive and get one over on the villains and both sides are making plans and taking their lumps in a way that matters and is constantly putting them into a new position with different objectives. It's a Mario game uniquely devoid of status quo.

Superstar Saga I think actually has arguably the best plot of any Mario game, for whatever that superlative is worth. After Chucklehuck Woods, it's a constantly evolving situation where the heroes are allowed to be proactive and get one over on the villains and both sides are making plans and taking their lumps in a way that matters and is constantly putting them into a new position with different objectives. It's a Mario game uniquely devoid of status quo.
Yeah I just played the remake and I mean, yeah I can see what you are saying. It's fun to see how each side keeps 1-upping each other but I wouldn't say Cackletta, Fawful or any of them have any real character development. Though apparently it was originally planned for Cackletta to be Queen Bean's sister.

They are definitely fun stories that have twists but the characters are pretty 1-dimensional and the motives as well. I vaguely remember TTYD having a bit more than that going on. But we'll see, it's been a while.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Partners in Time had engaging stories. I'd say Parters in Time more than SSS due to the Shroobs mystery and figuring out what happened with the Princess and the time machine.

I had a dream last night that the remake released, and it looked and played like shit.

So if you ever need any confirmation that dreams don’t mean anything and can be totally meaningless, there you go. 😉
Last night I dreamt that I found a token in a packet of cookies that entitled me to be president of France

However, most of my dreams boil down to my subconscious screaming "DO YOUR FUCKING HOMEWORK ALREADY"

Superstar Saga also has the best plot in a Mario game because it gives Luigi a male love interest, meaning Luigi will forever be bi/pan even if it was most likely intended as just a joke.

It always did bug me that the pigs were just 3D models in the OG TTYD. Nice to see that change too where they're origami and even feels like a call forward where Origami is a curse for paper people.

Wait… you can Ground Pound Piranha Plants when their teeth are up? Or did the footage just cut off right before Yoshi gets hurt lol

Hopefully Amazon gets it’s shit together soon with Nintendo game preorders, I really want to get a physical copy of this game, and I’ve been saving up Amazon gift money I’ve had for quite a bit I’ve been meaning to use.

Where is that music from? Parlor minigame?
I listened to it again, and... I think it's new? I can't place it anywhere in the soundtrack. Someone else feel free to correct me though. Wonder where it will be used?

Parlor mini-game I think makes a lot of sense if that is what it will be used for.

I also did not recognize it at all and it immediately made me think it was a new track.

Kinda has runaway train vibes? idk

Last edited:
Gonna be awkward when the game comes out and the song is nowhere to be found

This is a point I’ve been considering. After all, the game was revealed with Paper Mario 64’s title theme, which doesn’t show up at all in TTYD

I know there's that one song for BOTW that never appeared in the actual game, but other than that, a song appearing in a trailer/advertisement, but not in the actual game thankfully isn't a recurring thing for Nintendo games. Now there's a very tiny chance that a situation like with BOTW can rear its head again after 7 years, but consider Nintendo hasn't done anything like that since, it's highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom