• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Wait, was that the intention? I hate that spin move! No wonder I didn't like the desert area.

I almost exclusively walk through games at the default speed. Developers! Cater to meeee.
Not necessarily; the default spin move wasn't really much faster than regular walking (especially if you didn't cancel the slower end part of it by jumping). There was a nice badge to make it faster though. Yoshi in TTYD is faster than spinning from the original, but inhibited by the fact that you need to get on/off him depending on the terrain.

Spinning in Paper Mario is like rolling in the old 3D Zelda games, you just compulsively do it even if the enhanced speed is negligible

Walking backwards and side hopping is faster anyway
fvRgu1Uy_400x400.jpg

nah call me a hater but i thought Paper Mario 64's pacing and traversal were poopy dook, still a solid 7/10 for me though

EDIT: but lady bow still MVP

Y'know, I'm starting to convince myself that this game will have something new for its post-game. What might that be? No clue, but:

Ash Paulsen of Good Vibes Gaming asked a Nintendo Rep that demo'd the game if there'd be postgame content similar to Super Mario RPG, and they answered, "You'll have to play to find out!".

IGN teased:
Nintendo also wasn’t willing to unveil all of the new secrets and additions Switch’s Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door has within its pages, so there still should be some surprises waiting for those who are brand-new to the game or those who have played it more times than they can remember.

Polygon outright stated in their preview:
Nintendo teased additional unannounced updates to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, some of which Switch owners will apparently have to discover for themselves when the role-playing game is released on May 23.

There's gotta be something... right?

Last edited:
Y'know, I'm starting to convince myself that this game will have something new for its post-game. What might that be? No clue, but:

Ash Paulsen of Good Vibes Gaming asked a Nintendo Rep that demo'd the game if there'd be postgame content similar to Super Mario RPG, and they answered, "You'll have to play to find out!".

IGN teased:

I am thinking of something like a boss rush or having a place where you can go to refight the bosses again but they are harder, maybe they put the boss refights in the pit of 100 trials somewhere.

Edit: and I have been wondering who your avatar is for the longest time and I think I know who it is, Matt Berry?

I am thinking of something like a boss rush or having a place where you can go to refight the bosses again but they are harder, maybe they put the boss refights in the pit of 100 trials somewhere.

Edit: and I have been wondering who your avatar is for the longest time and I think I know who it is, Matt Berry?

Lucien Sanchez aka Todd Rivers aka Matt Berry

IGN teased:

It could just be an empty statement to drive up hype... That's what I'm expecting, anyway

Lucien Sanchez aka Todd Rivers aka Matt Berry
This is just a quick side note, but I remember when I was sixteen and GMD was coming on to Adult Swim and watching the previews I thought it was so low budget that I initially dismissed it (which is both ironic and stupid considering I loved Sealab 2021 and enjoyed Aqua Teen Hunger Force and those shows combined was still probably half the budget of Darkplace) and it wasn't until 2021 when I watched What We Do In The Shadows that I was introduced to him and his brilliant acting.

Last edited:
I'd like to be wrong, but they have nothing to lose by saying something like that, true or not
I think it might be tied to like a short postgame storyline that they don't want to spoil. Maybe Nintendo determined it's not important for marketing purposes? idk

There will be a post game where mario goes to sleep after the credits roll and he has a dream about his adventure in paper mario 64 and it's an entire remake of that game too. Then paper mario for switch 2 in 2028 will take place right when he wakes up from said dream but it turns out that he slept for 1000 and the xnauts returned in that time and took over the world. Will be called the two thousand year door.

If TTYD HD has NG+ with a harder difficulty, my only lament is that it couldn't be unlocked right from the beginning.

There will be a post game where mario goes to sleep after the credits roll and he has a dream about his adventure in paper mario 64 and it's an entire remake of that game too. Then paper mario for switch 2 in 2028 will take place right when he wakes up from said dream but it turns out that he slept for 1000 and the xnauts returned in that time and took over the world. Will be called the two thousand year door.
What if everything after TTYD is retconned as a dream like this? Arlo might never stop yelling.

Although I'm not expecting much, it's nice that they're (presumably) keeping surprises. In the case of SMRPG, boss rematches were confirmed via a trailer and the developers strongly teased the new 3D Culex fight, this time around they're being more secretive

And then Arlo wakes up

I always thought it was weird that Jolene (Jolene, Jolene, Jolene) invites you back to the Glitzpit with an email describing how Prince Mush is training to reclaiming the title, only for the Glitzpit to be identical to the story roster.

Paper Mario 64 might scale bigger but the abundance largely doesn't register as a detriment because the game funnels you forward throughout most of it. Dry Dry Desert is huge but the area is structured as a puzzle and you're not expected to meaningfully sink into it for the critical path (and it also helps that you always have a "go fast" button at your disposal). TTYD's chapters tend to have a smaller scale in terms of area but the design is very contingent on spending a lot of time in them, hence why TTYD's completion time is estimated to be about 8 hours longer despite having an identical number of chapters. Whether the maps were designed that way because of time constraints, lack of resources, or just generally phoning it in, TTYD was absolutely a game where they wanted to convey a game that felt "bigger" than its predecessor by having you spend more time in areas through more quest tasks and story events.

Bit of a hot take but I'm not the hugest fan of the audience system. You can argue PM64 was supremely stingy about Star Power but in TTYD it is monumentally easy to farm screen nukes and stat buffs that defang the long haul of not being able to refill the meter throughout the chapter through conventional means. That combined with 64's partners being more of an extension of Mario's options rather than TTYD's full suite of lopsidedly balanced tanks help contribute to 64 being more of a tactical game compared to TTYD's offense driven min-maxing.
I actually love the audience system and as a big critic of TOK's regular ring battle system (bosses are a totally different story, I actually think those work great), I thought those had a nice spin on TTYD's audience system too. Maybe after awhile the audience trivializes things in the main game but doing the pit of 100 trials I was absolutely glad it was there.

Also the talk of fast-travel in Paper Mario reminds me; do the newer games besides the shoe-car in TOK's desert have any real way of moving quicker than usual? I honestly don't think they do but I never thought about it that hard.

The latest footage definitely shows more detail (and stable frame rates). Definitely this latest press version is showing better more detailed textures on certain surfaces than just the plain "gloss map" during reveal.
Hmm, now that we've heard more of the Petal Meadows theme, parts of it are growing on me but I still think I prefer the original. I appreciate their enthusiasm to add a little new segment to it, but I don't really think they needed to. It doesn't really fit the song, in my opinion.

I wasn't a huge fan of ToK's soundtrack outside of a few of the boss tracks, so it isn't exactly surprising that I am feeling a bit hit or miss on these remixes. Rogueport, however, is a really nice remix in my opinion, even if the feeling is a little different than the original.

Excited to hear some of the boss remixes, I am hoping they give them lots of love. I heard a bit of the Hooktail one and it sounds pretty great.
It's also good to know the OG soundtrack will be accessible (as a badge).

Last edited:
Hard to believe that this is happening in just 20 more days. Top 5 game of all time for me, so excited

I still think there's going to be a bit of bonus content that might get revealed in a direct that happens this month before release hopefully.

Has anyone talked about the remix of Professor Frankly's theme yet? I really really like what I've heard of it.

Hoping for some tougher boss rematches, personally. Heck, maybe they do an official roguelite mode of Pit of 100 Trials like all those mods people make (I doubt it).

It's weird that Nintendo didn't save the boss rematches in SMRPG as something they hyped up but didn't tell anyone about until release, like they are doing with this. Could it really be more substantial?

Taking ST subtitle suggestions. Thought about a pun on reprinted, but haven’t quite figured it out. Also like Book of Mario Thousands of Doors, as a reference to the overly translated mod, but might be a bit too esoteric.

Taking ST subtitle suggestions. Thought about a pun on reprinted, but haven’t quite figured it out. Also like Book of Mario Thousands of Doors, as a reference to the overly translated mod, but might be a bit too esoteric.
Death by a Thousand Paper cuts? Probably a little too off the mark.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) |OT| Don't call it a Reprint!
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) |OT| Endorsed by @ILikeFeet

Anyone know when games are usually available for pre load? I imagine Paper Mario: TTYD will be available for pre load like 1-2 weeks before it releases?

Depature of The Origami King

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) |OT| - Another Mario Story Unfolds

Last edited:
Paper Mario and the Thousand-Year Debate

What's that? Is that anything like The Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door game?
Hey now

It should be stylized as the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door game. You erroneously capitalized our trademark 'the' and forgot the colon and hyphen in the actual title. Corporate will keep note of this for your salary review.

For what it's worth, Nintendo's not the only one doing this. Taylor Swift started referring to all of her albums as 'the ____ album' for marketing some while ago. I'm not sure what value they believe they're gaining from it, but that's two marketing departments of giant money makers that seem to think it's worthwhile to speak like an AI generated blurb.

Back
Top Bottom