• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Officially from Nintendo: Annoucement of next console this FY, Direct In June (no Switch 2 at direct)

The OP currently has 64 upvotes and I will not be the one to ruin that.

Nintendo forecasting these losses leads me to believe that they really delayed the console due to software. They wanted a proper lineup to compensate for the losses they’re gonna register this year, and they’re gonna be very aggressive about it

Sounds abiut right to me! We know Switch 2 isn't until 2025 at the earliest. There are still plenty of months to go and lots of major first party games like Prime 4 to release on Switch 1 first.

Thank Waluigi that websites, journalists, and developers don't have to tiptoe around this thing. We can just leave it out in the open right now.

My guess is September or October first look, big event in January, and then release around March-May.

I really wonder what they have planned for Switch this year.... Because new releases are dire right now.

Nintendo forecasting these losses leads me to believe that they really delayed the console due to software. They wanted a proper lineup to compensate for the losses they’re gonna register this year, and they’re gonna be very aggressive about it
They haven't forecast any losses, just reduced profits. Profits and revenue falling on the back of lower sales is to be expected; the surprising factors are how high the hardware forecast is and how big the profit reduction is expected to be. That points to a price cut rather than anything else at this stage.

Man, why'd this news have to come out whilst I was at work? Now it's the fifth page and it feels too late to post something like "HOLY SHIT FINALLY!!!!"

With that said: HOLY SHIT FINALLY!!!!

Glad to finally hear it from Nintendo themselves than all the insider talk.

Looking forward to it! My guess is a late 2024 announcement with a Spring 2025 release.

I really think people need to temper their expectations around a September reveal. As I said earlier, that would completely wreck their holiday sales momentum, and they're aiming to sell a lot of Switch units this year.

Let's see what the situation is after the June Direct, because if they have some heavy hitters planned for later this year, they won't want to sabotage their own products by overshadowing them with a new console reveal.

It happened, at long last. We will have a new system in the next 12 months. I can't wait for the actual reveal.

The wording certainly implies a release potentially after this fiscal year, but I wonder if that could just be intentional trickery to soften the impact on Switch sales as much as possible by leading one to believe a later release.
Yeah, at the moment this is what I'm leaning towards

That's how I am feeling too. "Announcement this FY" is way different than "Release this FY".

Currently feeling a concept reveal announcement in January 2025, a blowout event reveal in Summer 2025, and finally a Holiday 2025 release. I'm not expecting a launch in March 2025 anymore.

They are going to drag this out as long as humanly possible. It's clear now they are scared and unprepared to launch new hardware
Or, more likely, Nintendo doesn't want to reveal this a year ahead of release and risk cratering Switch sales. It's less being scared and unprepared and more like not willing to shoot yourself in the foot when you still have plenty of time to get everything set up.

Nintendo is going to keep their cards close to their chest and I could see them following the Switch playback here. Reveal video around September/October, presentation around January '25, and release around March '25.

not-like-this-matrix.gif

Does Keighley have enough clout to announce the Super Switch at his coveted Keighleys
He will go nuts to show something in december. If he can show a tease for a next mario, people will go nuts… even if it is just a hat and saying he’s coming back.

I appreciate this. Hopefully discourse will be far less annoying for the remainder of the year.

I guess it’s nice to see them finally acknowledge the successor’s existence, but it feels hollow to me. Like yeah, they told us it’s real, but it’s still gonna be at least a few months before we get to actually see it. “Announcement in this fiscal year” could mean they don’t show it until next March. I don’t think they’d wait that long, but it’s a possibility.

I guess I’m just tired of waiting at this point and I’m dooming. Carry on with your excitement, I’ll be over here grumping.

Furukawa: New Direct in June with no Switch 2 mention
People in may: Ok
People in June: Will be Switch 2 mention on that direct?

I guess it’s nice to see them finally acknowledge the successor’s existence, but it feels hollow to me. Like yeah, they told us it’s real, but it’s still gonna be at least a few months before we get to actually see it. “Announcement in this fiscal year” could mean they don’t show it until next March. I don’t think they’d wait that long, but it’s a possibility.

I guess I’m just tired of waiting at this point and I’m dooming. Carry on with your excitement, I’ll be over here grumping.

👇 Relax ^^

Posting it here in case someone wants to look at my 6AM face, if that's ok with the mods -

If I were to summarize it:

• Don't be alarmed by that Nintendo tweet's wording - it's still coming out in March 2025
  • Reiterating my early Feb 2024 report that full backcompat is in
  • I'm aware of a couple of multiplatform games that'll be announced for Switch 2 early on in the next semester, which means third-parties are now (or will soon be) allowed to mention the system
  • The June Direct should be the last "main one" focused on Switch 1; more remasters will be announced during the show (and my educated guess is that MP4 is showing up as a late 2024 title as well)
  • Indie World in August
  • I've heard some rumblings of a possible Partner Direct post-August, but not sure on that yet as it's too early
  • Expecting a reveal in a similar schedule to what the OG Switch had

The one caveat I will add to this discussion is that Nintendo are going to have to be very careful when they announce the new console if they still wish to sell 13.5 million Switch's this financial year, not to mention the software they have lined up for it. One of my reservations in the whole 'Is Prime 4 a Switch 1 only game or cross gen' debate was that Nintendo revealing their successor console a couple of months before the launch of a game like Prime 4 would absolutely suck the hype away and negatively impact its sales as a result.

For those reasons I can't see Nintendo revealing Switch 2 officially much before November. They're going to want to maximise Switch 1 sales and software as much as possible and doing an all singing, all dancing reveal in September/October time absolutely would sabotage those sales. People would immediately start saving for the new console instead.
Unless they go all out on discounts…. They are already 37% down year over year.

I really don't feel much for a new Switch anymore is what I notice. If it's more of the same but upspecced, alright. I don't see much room for new gameplay gimmicks this time. I have a Legion Go now and owned a Steam Deck earlier so I probably won't feel like a kid in a candy store for the first time.

What I really AM hyped for and I am hoping they will hit it out of the park like last time; are the first game teasers that will most likely accompany the reveal of the console.

Based on that wording, worst case for Switch 2 is an early 2025 announced for release later in 2025.

Best case if of course announcing later this year for release before the end of FY 2025. But it's interesting he didn't say Switch 2 will release in FY 2025.

They finally said the thing! The band-aid has been ripped off!

But.... "plan to announce in the FY" certainly sounds like they still don't have a release date in mind. And they're still shooting for like another 13m Switch 1 sales. Which suggest they're not expecting sales of that hardware to fall off a cliff.

So... did they just silently announce the hardware has been "delayed"? If so, why? Weak yen? Need more time for the launch titles to bake? Switch 1 sales still being absurdly good relative to the hardware's age?

They finally said the thing! The band-aid has been ripped off!

But.... "plan to announce in the FY" certainly sounds like they still don't have a release date in mind. And they're still shooting for like another 13m Switch 1 sales. Which suggest they're not expecting sales of that hardware to fall off a cliff.

So... did they just silently announce the hardware has been "delayed"? If so, why? Weak yen? Need more time for the launch titles to bake? Switch 1 sales still being absurdly good relative to the hardware's age?

See my post above with a quoted post from Brazil. ^^

Or, more likely, Nintendo doesn't want to reveal this a year ahead of release and risk cratering Switch sales. It's less being scared and unprepared and more like not willing to shoot yourself in the foot when you still have plenty of time to get everything set up.

Nintendo is going to keep their cards close to their chest and I could see them following the Switch playback here. Reveal video around September/October, presentation around January '25, and release around March '25.
Reveal around October would crater their sales in Nintendo's most important two months though (it didn't matter with the Switch since Wii U was effectively off life support anyway). If this is the issue then don't expect a presentation until January (or, given that January is an important month in Japan, February).

Alright - here's the video in English!

Hope that helps, and apologies for the accent.

Amazing report as ever, thank you!

For those that do not know, Brazil is the original leaker of the release delays. He is a reliable source for this kind of information.

What excites me the most about this gen is a lot of the Switch era was using and porting games from Wii U/3DS. Also knowing they are scared to launch new systems now, i'm sure they have a killer line up coming.

On one hand, it is disappointing that the Switch 2 has received the absolute lamest announcement possible. Was hoping they wouldn't go the 3DS route, though really this is perhaps worse than the 3DS announcement given the lack of detail. On the other hand confirmation is good so might as well just ignore the mild disappointment. Hopefully the full blown reveal is solid.

Getting a June direct confirmation this far in advance is nice, like the old E3 days when you absolutely knew there would be news in June.

you guys are doubting the big steffa Geoff

but when he comes out with a Super Switch in his hand, it will be Silky that wins

Reveal around October would crater their sales in Nintendo's most important two months though (it didn't matter with the Switch since Wii U was effectively off life support anyway). If this is the issue then don't expect a presentation until January (or, given that January is an important month in Japan, February).
It has already cratered. They had a 36% decrease this quarter. It’s time for nicle and dime. Discounts and more discounts. Pretending that everything is okay and trying to sell everything at full price is stupid. They know it.

Within several hours from official acknowledgement, that's Mr Furukawa X post right now already more than 107K likes & 13.1 Million views. Crazy hype 💪

Back
Top Bottom