• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Officially from Nintendo: Annoucement of next console this FY, Direct In June (no Switch 2 at direct)

There's no way it makes it that high without the successor IMO. It didn't do much better last year, and that was with mainline Mario and Zelda games releasing.
I'm pretty sure that number doesn't include the successor. Switch hasn't had a price drop, and who knows what they plan to announce for second half 2024. Switch has continued to have very strong legs for such an old console.

How many times we have said this is going to be the last Switch Direct? It's still too early, but a September Direct is possible.

Mr. Furukawa mentioning that the Switch was revealed in March 2015 does make me feel like we could be in a longer window than we might be anticipating for this console's release since that reveal took place two years before it's launch. I don't think we are looking at 2026 or even Holiday 2025 (just yet) but I could see it maybe being May-September 2025 rather than March 2025 like we've been thinking!

I am just so happy that they have officially confirmed this console AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
WiiU was struggling so they had to move quicker than normal to announce the next system being the NX/Switch. Which was 2 years and 4 months from WiiU release in November 2012 to mentioning the “NX” name only in March 2015.

I fully expect we at latest see this system hit release by early Summer 2025. And don’t see it being that unlikely it’s out by March-April 2025.

Last edited:
Mr. Furukawa mentioning that the Switch was revealed in March 2015 does make me feel like we could be in a longer window than we might be anticipating for this console's release since that reveal took place two years before it's launch. I don't think we are looking at 2026 or even Holiday 2025 (just yet) but I could see it maybe being May-September 2025 rather than March 2025 like we've been thinking!

I am just so happy that they have officially confirmed this console AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
That's how I am feeling too. "Announcement this FY" is way different than "Release this FY".

Currently feeling a concept reveal announcement in January 2025, a blowout event reveal in Summer 2025, and finally a Holiday 2025 release. I'm not expecting a launch in March 2025 anymore.

They are going to drag this out as long as humanly possible. It's clear now they are scared and unprepared to launch new hardware

That's how I am feeling too. "Announcement this FY" is way different than "Release this FY".

Currently feeling a concept reveal announcement in January 2025, a blowout event reveal in Summer 2025, and finally a Holiday Q4 release. I'm not expecting a launch in March 2025 anymore.

They are going to drag this out as long as humanly possible. It's clear now they are scared and unprepared to launch new hardware

Today's "soft announcement" really makes it obvious that they will repeat the pre-launch cycle of Switch. Soft announcement around spring, reveal / "full" announcement in fall, launch event in January, launch March.

I don't think you can make definitive statements whether it'll release this fiscal year or not tho I'd definitely discount 2024 altogether (which was fairly obvious at this point) but march - may 2025 doesn't seem impossible as far as release windows go.

Personnally I'd also speculate that Furakawa wouldn't feel the need to announce the device yet if there wasn't any real chance the device might impact nintendo financially (positively) this fiscal year meaning a march release.

Yeah I think they just don't want to lock themselves into a release timeframe and risk spooking the horses if it has to change.

Better to not announce a release today and come out in March than announce it fit March but have to announce a delay to Autumn later

Today's "soft announcement" really makes it obvious that they will repeat the pre-launch cycle of Switch. Soft announcement around spring, reveal / "full" announcement in fall, launch event in January, launch March.
That's what I originally thought but it'd make sense to confirm a launch this FY if that were the case. Instead we just got a confirmation of an announcement this FY.

Note the use of the word 'announce' rather than the word 'release'. They're still keeping their cards close to their chest as to when this thing will actually be on store shelves.

But still, we're in the endgame now...

Gonna go with not bothering to read into this extraordinarily early PR speak and settle on “it’s releasing, but not in 2024” and go absolutely no further than that.

In other words, this news changes nothing, but it’s still an incredible relief just to hear it acknowledged.

Yeah, it speaks to me that they don't want sales to dip even more by locking in a March launch, as those news can travel far enough. Their current projections at 13.5 million mean they expect the Switch to sell more/relatively the same this fiscal year than there are Wii U units out there LTD. That's still a lot of risk versus when they just said NX was releasing March 2017 because Wii U sales were through the core of the earth.

We're about to go through a few months of people thinking that the release is after the FY, aren't we?
People have already been doom posting that for months since the first reports of a delay happened. People put too much emotional energy into trying to look for patterns or trying to read between the lines. The only thing we can safely conclude is this device isn't launching in 2024.

This pretty much lines up as expected - for right now, everything is lining up for a repeat of Switch release window - an expected "we're releasing a new console, we'll tell you more about it later this year" statement, a trailer/reveal in October or so and then a release in March/potentially April.

For now, I think they just don't want to be too specific on timeline for announcements and let the June direct and games have their time - so wouldn't read too much into it being this financial year or not, given the mainly accurate reports have suggested early 2025 (March), i think that's still a safe assumption for the time.

Direct will air the week of June 10th.

Switch 2 reveal will be the week of September 9th.

Wanna know how I know? Because I'll be on vacation both weeks and these things always come at the most inconvenient times for me.

WiiU was struggling so they had to move quicker than normal to announce the next system being the NX/Switch. Which was 2 years and 4 months from WiiU release in November 2012 to mentioning the “NX” name only in March 2015.

I fully expect we at latest see this system hit release by early Summer 2025. And don’t see it being that unlikely it’s out by March-April 2025.
I can definitely see this happening!! It was just a little weird not to see it have the range like the 2016 NX/Switch announcement had but that could be just because they are still making sure they can lock down whatever month/date they have in mind! :)

Direct will air the week of June 10th.

Switch 2 reveal will be the week of September 9th.

Wanna know how I know? Because I'll be on vacation both weeks and these things always come at the most inconvenient times for me.

I'm unsure if "Thank you for your sacrifice" fits here, 'cause i don't think you're going to suffer in those vacation weeks.

They are trying to figure out how they can manage against the Wii U, or even worse the Gamecube + GBA. Tough act to follow. I don't envy them.

This pretty much lines up as expected - for right now, everything is lining up for a repeat of Switch release window - an expected "we're releasing a new console, we'll tell you more about it later this year" statement, a trailer/reveal in October or so and then a release in March/potentially April.

For now, I think they just don't want to be too specific on timeline for announcements and let the June direct and games have their time - so wouldn't read too much into it being this financial year or not, given the mainly accurate reports have suggested early 2025 (March), i think that's still a safe assumption for the time.
I think the point about having the June announcements have their time is pretty important because, when the Switch was confirmed for March 2017, it did happen at a time where the Wii U was very much on its last legs and for the 3DS, while it still did have heavy-hitters left, this heavy hitters would sell no matter what - they didn't have to worry about their holiday lineups being that majorly impacted. Now, they do have to worry about that, which is probably leading to the caution until they absolutely have to announce and show it off + give it a release window! :)

13,5 million sales for the Switch seems very suspect. That is a decline of just 2 million from the previous fiscal year. Without games like Zelda, Mario Wonder, and the Mario movie coming out.

That can only mean 1: Switch 2 sales are included in the figure or 2: The Switch price will be slashed to keep momentum going until Switch 2 is launched.

Note the use of the word 'announce' rather than the word 'release'. They're still keeping their cards close to their chest as to when this thing will actually be on store shelves.

But still, we're in the endgame now...
they still have a June direct to get through before they talk about it, they're just making clear the announcement/reveal will be made in the coming months.

It seems there was a mistranslation on his statement

As much as i want to hope for an early announcement ... this one is an official Nintendo corp tweet. If there was an error in the translations, they would've deleted and put on a new, corrected tweet.

13,5 million sales for the Switch seems very suspect. That is a decline of just 2 million from the previous fiscal year. Without games like Zelda, Mario Wonder, and the Mario movie coming out.

That can only mean 1: Switch 2 sales are included in the figure or 2: The Switch price will be slashed to keep momentum going until Switch 2 is launched.
They're projecting a drop in ordinary and net profits of about 40%, safe to guess they're going with a price drop.

I have to say, this really feels like it could be the biggest console announcement ever in the history of videogames (talking about the reveal not the twitter announcement). The last times where we had a successor to extremely popular consoles they were either during a decline of popularity of said console (wii to wiiu, ds to 3ds) or their thunder got stolen by other consoles (ps2 to ps3 after 360 and wii release, nes to snes after megadrive release), and of course the ps5 got screwed over by the pandemic; but this feels huge, it’s Nintendo at their biggest and most popular announcing the successor to what’s probably going to be the best selling console ever made, if they nail it it could be a monumental achievement. I can definitely feel the mana for this year.

If they're gonna be as specific as possible with announcement vs. release, calendar vs. fiscal year, there's no fucking shot they make a translation error. And then leave it up to boot. Who's this rando Twitter clout chaser lol

So if the translation is wrong and Furukawa actually said this quarter, that means the announcement is next month.

That's not all. He didn't say "successor to Nintendo Switch." What he actually said was Succession is coming to Nintendo Switch this quarter.

An acknowledgement... on May 7th as it was foretold... that's all I ever asked.

hero-image-fill-size-1200x900-v1614275401.png

I'm not seeing "quarter" (四半期) here. I'm only seeing "in this period/time" (期中). It's honestly somewhat vague, but my Japanese is pretty rubbish.

As much as i want to hope for an early announcement ... this one is an official Nintendo corp tweet. If there was an error in the translations, they would've deleted and put on a new, corrected tweet.
they use 今期 - which is generally used to mean financial year but can be used for quarter/term/financial period (but seems to be done pretty rarely) - so if they chose to translate to financial year - that is what they mean.

Last edited:
they use 今期 - which is generally used to mean financial year but can be used for quarter (but seems to be done pretty rarely) - so if they chose to translate to financial year - that is what they mean.
Ah, there we go, that makes sense. I didn't realize it was (rarely) used to that effect. Makes sense, given the broadness of the term.

But yeah, whatever Nintendo officially translated it as, that's what it is. Doubt they're just giving these kinds of statements the laziest of all once-overs.

they use 今期 - which is generally used to mean financial year but can be used for quarter (but seems to be done pretty rarely) - so if they chose to translate to financial year - that is what they mean.

Yep, plus on top, this isn't some "hastily" done tweet, that statement was prepared and translated beforehand, with enough time to double check for errors and mistranslations.

Kinda crazy how quickly people can seemingly get rope a doped by a blue checkmark on twitter. Maybe this one person is right, but in the era of blue check marks screaming about translation and localization I'll always wait for multiple people to detail break down the Japanese to English.

Oh, yeah that makes sense, will edit the post

A person online speaking out their ass in full confidence about something they aren't knowledgeable about? Why I never!

Thanks for clearing that up.

I mean, that person technically wasn't wrong ... but as it's been said, Nintendo's own wording is the correct one here.

They really tried it lol.

Mistranslations do seem pretty easy to happen, but those accounts were created strictly for transparent communication direct from corporate.

Furukawa and Miyamoto aren't going to allow their very first real acknowledgement of their next generation hardware to have a mistranslation like this is the Splatoon North America account 😂

Last edited:
I mean, that person technically wasn't wrong ... but as it's been said, Nintendo's own wording is the correct one here.
Their tweet is misleading and is causing people to jump to a false conclusion. They didn't say "could be translated as quarter", they definitely said "it says quarter". This is how false narratives can spread like wildfire.

Funny, I'm not excited for this upcoming Direct now. I've been all in "Switch 2 waiting mode".

I'm guessing Switch 2 reveal in september then. This was probably the safest way to announce it while having "control", instead of waiting until investors keep bringing it up. I wonder if they will manage to avoid leaks of the hardware in the meantime, assuming production will be starting by then.

Back
Top Bottom