• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Officially from Nintendo: Annoucement of next console this FY, Direct In June (no Switch 2 at direct)

"Let me check Famiboards to see if the usual PR buzzwords were announced already-"

35d809e20797377fbb44032146f867046ea126bc.pnj

Okay I'll eat my crow. I didn't think they would even acknowledge the next system during this report. Announcement this FY probably means it's not releasing this FY, but that still puts everything past March 2025 within the strike zone. I guess they'll gun for a Holiday 2025 release then?

Okay I'll eat my crow. I didn't think they would even acknowledge the next system during this report. Announcement this FY probably means it's not releasing this FY, but that still puts everything past March 2025 within the strike zone. I guess they'll gun for a Holiday 2025 release then?
I think it's still releasing this fiscal year (March), but it's understandable that they don't want to put a date on it 10 months out and right after a rumored delay. We'll have to see though.

Literally woke up like a couple minutes before the tweet was made. I got a knack for timing.

The Process is alive and well, and it's gonna keep on trucking! I don't think we're likely to see Metroid Prime 4 in the June Direct, feels like a safer bet to expect it to finally be shown off alongside the successor. Happy to be proven wrong, of course... 👀
WHAT IF THEY SHOW PRIME 4 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
They will 🙂 Let's just keep being patient. No need to rush things.
Not the direction I thought this gif would go... lol
Furukawa isn't taking any prisoners.

Furukawa thinks we're all dumb, doesn't expect us to understand, and doesn't care whether or not we do. We must simply be aware.
Furukawa doesn't do what Furukawa does for Furukawa. Furukawa does what Furukawa does because Furukawa is Furukawa.

I don't think we have any indication of launch timing. Right now I think they'd simply rather not commit to announcing a launch period.

For me the likeliest window for a public reveal is September, not least because of Tokyo Game Show. That still gives them six months of pre-launch build up if they want to launch in the current fiscal year.

For me the likeliest window for a public reveal is September, not least because of Tokyo Game Show. That still gives them six months of pre-launch build up if they want to launch in the current fiscal year.
Yep, plus remember that the Switch was supposed to be revealed in September but was pushed back because Odyssey wasn't running perfectly. I am putting it on the September reveal.

The wording certainly implies a release potentially after this fiscal year, but I wonder if that could just be intentional trickery to soften the impact on Switch sales as much as possible by leading one to believe a later release.

I'M NEARLY AN HOUR LATE BUT LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!! I genuinely didn't know what to expect and I went through the financial documents first to see if they'd say anything within them and then they didn't BUT THEN I OPENED SOCIAL MEDIA AHHH!!!

The wording certainly implies a release potentially after this fiscal year, but I wonder if that could just be intentional trickery to soften the impact on Switch sales as much as possible by leading one to believe a later release.
dunno if we should look too deep into that wording

Come March 2025: " The successor to Nintendo Switch is now in development." Let Aonuma deliver the message for added effect haha!

avengers-endgame-hulk.gif

1ujH.gif

And no, just because Furukawa uses a very unique wording again doesn't mean that the launch is delayed again outside of the FY, and definitely not holiday 2025.

It's very likely that they can't even give a promising games line-up for Switch this year, they already have to release the "in case of nothing else break glass" things like this NES stuff. There's no chance they can last on Switch only for a whole year again.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's purposefully crafted to not tell you anything beyond the exact thing they want to convey. All they want us to know is that an announcement will happen in the next 11 months, they don't want to tell you whether or not release will happen this year yet.

One thing we can probably surmise is that it most likely won't happen before the June Direct, but that's not really telling us anything noteworthy, of course.

Actually their new hardware forecast for Switch is 13.5M, which is only 1.5M below their previous forecast. I would be very surprised if they release the successor this financial year.
There's no way it makes it that high without the successor IMO. It didn't do much better last year, and that was with mainline Mario and Zelda games releasing.

Soooooo ... what do you think people?

Can third parties now announce or confirm their games for the successor now that Nintendo officially acknowledged it?

Probably the worst announcement we could have had.

Genuinely could be revealed in March 2025 and released Christmas 2025 based on this.

Hoping for something less bad though with maybe a September reveal and May 2025 release at the latest.

No joke, I woke up to this news after dreaming about a Switch 2 announcement.

For a moment when I saw the tweet I actually thought I was having some kind of crazy Inception moment lol

Genuinely could be revealed in March 2025 and released Christmas 2025 based on this.

Hoping for something less bad though with maybe a September reveal and May 2025 release at the latest.

This is very likely a repeat of the Switch pre-launch cycle ... and that released in March.

Just relax.

Look on the bright side, they could've said nothing
Plus we got a Direct confirmed for June!

?

This means nothing in terms of release timing, other then it's not coming this year.

I remember that Switch was officially announced on Oct 2016 followed by pre-orders on Jan 2017 and actual launch date of March 2017.
Maybe the successor could follow a similar path? I hope so.

They announced June Direct this early. They should have announced September Direct as well lol

But yeah, this is gonna be the "shatter the expectations" kinda Direct, it seems. Not a single first party game dated for the second half of the year but Nintendo will deliver an explosive lineup anyways.

I can only hope! That means even more time in the spotlight for my favorite current system: the Switch 1!

Announcement this FY, so there is a possibility we don’t actually hear about this console until Q1 2025 and then get a release later in 2025?

There's no way it makes it that high without the successor IMO. It didn't do much better last year, and that was with mainline Mario and Zelda games releasing.
Wouldn't be surprised for a final, cheaper model that fits in the 100-150 range as an entry system into the nintendo ecosystem. They will probably phase out certain versions in the coming year that sell less. Personally I think the lite will go, and a newer cheaper model will take it's place, aimed at the children/parents and casual market.
Maybe in a smaller form factor.

Otherwise I don't see how they will manage to sell 13.5 million. A pricecut for the lite is also possible, but I doubt it'll have the same impact.

I doubt they will wait with their launch until the holiday season. They had too much success last time going for a launch that was way before xmas. I guess marketing will start from the new calendar year and launch will be before summer (april - july somewhen).

Overall I am very surprised they were this clear about their plans and looking forward to another year of Switch 1 releases.

Mr. Furukawa mentioning that the Switch was revealed in March 2015 does make me feel like we could be in a longer window than we might be anticipating for this console's release since that reveal took place two years before it's launch. I don't think we are looking at 2026 or even Holiday 2025 (just yet) but I could see it maybe being May-September 2025 rather than March 2025 like we've been thinking!

I am just so happy that they have officially confirmed this console AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

unless the switch 2 is revealed before september, i don't see them doing the regular september direct this year. we'll get a partner showcase at best.

I honestly believe a non-Partners, general Direct in June will be the last time they can muster "enough" stuff for Switch 1 only.

Obvious missing stuff like the FE4 remake, maybe Prime 4 (though that can be a cross-gen thing in a potential January 2025 Switch 2 event), and the small stuff like this NES game and so on.

Then relying on a small-ish Partner Showcase in September, and October the official reveal of the successor.

I just hope third parties can now announce their stuff for the "upcoming Switch successor" from now on.

unless the switch 2 is revealed before september, i don't see them doing the regular september direct this year. we'll get a partner showcase at best.
There was a 3DS Direct in September 2016 a month before the Switch was revealed, and that was the 3DS in 2016.

I think they'll skip the September direct altogether and just reveal the console then. Possibly with the date a big blowout, assuming it's releasing in the first half of 2025.

Back
Top Bottom