• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Really liking the music of Hikaru chapter one. I'm enjoying it so far. I started off with the Merchant and I liked the story a lot. The dancer is kind of pointless so far but Hikaru's stage was amazing. Got to the medic stage and I think I will take a break here. The path skills open the game up. I like bribing people because of the hidden items you can find but you have to take the risk and spend money. Some of the folks take a lot of money to bribe, only to give you nothing.

I have played for 20 hours. I still haven't recruited everyone (only missing Osvald).

I'm going to be here for a while. Good.

Loving all the side content packed into the game! Gonna spend a lot of time with this game. It’s so addictive, I’m not even close to being done with the game and anticipating a third entry!

Broke down and got it on PS5, only managed to play a bit with Castti

7 hours in and doing about a chapter a night, and I’ve got my full party of four now. Started on the west continent with Partitio and have picked up Agnea, Hikari, and just now Castti. Time to head East.

I see that Castti has two Chapter 2 routes on the map, are these mutually exclusive?
I'm not 100% sure but I assume it's like Throné, where you just have a choice of the order you want to tackle them in (although given the recommended levels it does seem like there's an intended order).

And I am absolutely loving this game, I can barely put it down. Got all eight characters now, working on the Mother route in Throné's chapter 2. I honestly love all these characters so much it makes it hard to pick a party, haha.

For those who have played Agnea’s Chapter 2, where do I know Gil’s voice actor from? It’s driving me nuts, he’s so familiar.

It took me about 19 hours of gameplay. But I just noticed that you can see the "Travel Banter" (party convos) that you may have missed, in the Journal section of the menu. Just push "+" when you have a specific character's journal open. It will list all the banter between each character you have and have not seen.

Also I noticed that each character's stained glass pane in the Journal slowly fills with color with each completed chapter. I really enjoy the menus in this game.

Giving literally everyone the Apothecary “heal 30% HP/MP after battle” skill for only 130 JP each is a steal, at least when you’re still fairly early in the game. Lets you use some MP every fight and not worry about it.

Still not too far in to the game, but playing a chapter now that they're not too long in bed every night before I close my eyes is just perfect. I'll mix in some tv-play when I get longer in.

I could never go back to play RPGs on a non hybrid device, impossible. Switch really ramped up my RPG game.

Played Partitio chapter 1 yesterday, and man what a chad - I will vote for him if he ever he decides to enter politics.

Crazy how in this absolutely stacked year this will for sure be a strong GOTY candidate for me. Been years since a turn-based RPG got its hooks in me like this. Even the endgame content is just strong all around. Finding some secret powerhouse boss at the end of a tucked away lvl 50 dungeon doesn't get old. Said it before and will say it again: I think this game will be looked back on extremely fondly.

Can we change our topic title?
Something like Octopath Traveler 2 (OT) - Asano and his real SickTeam.

Like… this game rules and it feels like the true successor of FF games from PS1 era.

Some will say it plays more like Saga or something else, but apart from summons, it’s the square experience i was used during my teeanage.

Can we change our topic title?
Something like Octopath Traveler 2 (OT) - Asano and his real SickTeam.

Like… this game rules and it feels like the true successor of FF games from PS1 era.

Some will say it plays more like Saga or something else, but apart from summons, it’s the square experience i was used during my teeanage.
If someone had served up Octopath 2 20 years ago in a world where FF 7/8/9/10 hadn’t been made, and told me it was ‘FF7, the sequel to FF6’, I’d have believed them.

My hold came in. I'll be playing Octopath II tonight! And it's all thanks to my local library.

7UkFEuX.jpg

Videogames really have peaked with Octopath Traveler II uh?! ;P

Feels like OT 2 is everything I could have wanted from an Octopath sequel. May this series prosper. plz

The dialogue between Ochette and Hikaru that I got after completing chapter 2 for her (I chose the the fishing village in the south) was quite funny. Stumbled upon a sub-job and some sweet, sweet loot too

Playing Chained Echoes and Octo II so close one after the other has been a mind-boggling experience as a JRPG fan. I'm still less than halway in Octo II, but it has already brought me more joy than most games of the genre have in my entire life. I feel like I have to appreciate this moment, because who knows when I'll experience this again. The original Xenoblade is currently under an unprecedented threat of being dethroned for the title of my favorite game of all time. I can't believe I'm typing this but it's true.
My standards as to what qualifies as a "good JRPG" is gonna be completely fucked over once I'm done with the game.

Phewee!

Last edited:
Playing Chained Echoes and Octo II so close one after the other has been a mind-boggling experience as a JRPG fan. I'm still less than halway in Octo II, but it has already brought me more joy than most games of the genre have in my entire life. I feel like I have to appreciate this moment, because who knows when I'll experience this again. The original Xenoblade is currently under an unprecedented threat of being dethroned for the title of my favorite game of all time. I can't believe I'm typing this but it's true.
My standards as to what qualifies as a "good JRPG" is gonna completely fucked over once I'm done with the game.

Phewee!

Are you me? Playing Chained Echoes and Octo 2 back to back has reinvigorated my love for turn-based RPGs.

God I love this game. Also really glad I picked Partitio for my main, he's a good boy.

But fuck Thurston for making me fight a dog. 😭

Just started Ochette chapter 1 and wasn’t expecting

Professor Talking Lion to have me pick out my Pokémon.

Just started Ochette chapter 1 and wasn’t expecting

Professor Talking Lion to have me pick out my Pokémon.
It’s also freaking Jamieson Price voicing him, I love his voice so much. He can be in literally every RPG ever, please and thank you.

It’s also freaking Jamieson Price voicing him, I love his voice so much. He can be in literally every RPG ever, please and thank you.
Agreed. I first heard him as Sojiro in Persona 5, and ever since then I get excited when I hear his voice in a game, haha

Is it wrong I really like the little boats. You are in this gorgeous world and then "Look a river!, TIME TO BOAT!"

You don't need to recruit the Traveler to get their job. If you find the Job's Guild, you get the job, well one license. I found the Hunter Guild, and received the Hunter License, and I have yet to do Ochette's chapter one.

Listening to the OST, and god damn there's some great stuff here. The fact that each character has their own variation of Decisive Battle III, which can also be linked flawlessly with their boss hype theme, is so damn cool.

Funny how I went into 2 expecting VA for the final boss fights of every character (lamenting that in 1 only Ophilia had likely due to monetary constraints), and instead we get it at pretty much every single major boss fight, and on top of that with unique boost lines too (again, reddit informing me of stuff I had barely noticed as it's such a tiny detail).

Talk about exceeding expectations uh?! We're finally getting to see that fabled "Team Asano game with a budget" lol

Honestly, 20 hours in I'm struggling to see how they can improve on this; it's just so consistently great. Every facet of the game's design is top-notch.

I’m a little confused about the structure of this game compared to Octopath 1. For example, I’m playing Throné’s section and I just finished one part of Chapter 2. I tried to go to Chapter 3 that was connected to that chapter, but it requires over double the level that I’m at. Am I expected to do another character’s chapter 1 now, or just complete Throné’s other chapter 2 first?

I’m a little confused about the structure of this game compared to Octopath 1. For example, I’m playing Throné’s section and I just finished one part of Chapter 2. I tried to go to Chapter 3 that was connected to that chapter, but it requires over double the level that I’m at. Am I expected to do another character’s chapter 1 now, or just complete Throné’s other chapter 2 first?
I think you need to go do the other part of Chapter 2 before her Chapter 3. And the game is structured so that you, generally at least, do most of the Chapter 1s before you then do most of the Chapter 2s, and so on. You definitely don't have to do it like that, but the levels of the areas and bosses are going to be a very steep jump otherwise

If the next section is a high level, or the next area I’ve stumbled into, I just look at the map and pick a different direction to explore, or sail to a port I haven’t been to, or travel to a place where there’s unexplored areas of a similar level nearby, or head towards new characters instead. It’s true that if you stick on one story path you’re going to get massive difficulty spikes, particularly early on.

Temenos is such a cool character, just doing his intro now. A nice twist on the classic fantasy cleric. Very pretty village too. His investigation with Crick is really fun

Last edited:
Guess who kept going when a ‘a sense of dread’ message popped up, leading to a party wipe against something very nasty? Me :D
Found one of those and walked away without even trying, I'll be back soon enough though!

Incidentally, any input on whether Temenos and Osvald rocking each other's job is a valid setup or not anyone? I currently have Temenos Scholar and Osvald Merchant, but I'm not feeling it tbh.

Damn I'm terrible with these class systems, and probably will always be. Choice paralysis is real ahah

Last edited:
Found one of those and walked away without even trying, I'll be back soon enough though!

Incidentally, any input on whether Temenos and Osvald rocking each other's job is a valid setup or not anyone? I currently have Temenos Scholar and Osvald Merchant, but I'm not feeling it tbh.

Damn I'm terrible with these class systems, and probably will always be. Choice paralysis is real ahah
Temenos' latent power works really well with scholar's Elemental Barrage, it just tears through shields.

I have Osvald as a cleric at the moment but I dunno if it's a good fit for him or not.

I'm a good chunk of the way in now (my main party is around level 50 and I've finished three of the single-character stories) and wow I'm having such a blast so far. Definitely an improvement on the first game on just about every front. I've been having a blast with the exploration especially, went in a lot of level ~45 areas at level 20 to try to play chicken and get chests early.

I only got stuck for a bit on two bosses so far, the fifth conjurer class unlock boss (she hits like a truck lol) and the last last boss of Hikari's route (where it's the third boss in a gauntlet and you have to redo the rest if you lose rip), but eventually got them through shuffling some skills around.

Hikari is absolutely carrying my team right now, if you build him right he hits sooo hard and breaks enemies really fast, it rules.

Incidentally, any input on whether Temenos and Osvald rocking each other's job is a valid setup or not? I currently have Temenos Scholar and Osvald Merchant, but I'm not feeling it tbh.

I haven't played with Temenos much yet (I have Agnea Apothecary as my main healer and one of Ochette's monsters as backup) so I can't really speak on that.

For Osvald, Cleric is pretty good if you don't mind how restricted his physical options are for breaking enemies, since you're limited to staff-only. It's a nice option for keeping his SP up though unless you have an external source (I had SP regen via Agnea's NPC companion, so not a concern for me). I've mainly been using Arcanist on him, which fits really well especially with his talent, but outside the secret jobs my short time with him on Dancer wasn't too bad (wind magic access, dagger for breaking, buffs other party members if neither of those things are currently needed). This'll depend a lot on the rest of your party composition though.

No idea. I do really like having Castii set up as apothecary/cleric though, as it means she can heal everyone at once with her regular spells without using resources, and keep the special move for loading up on buffs and restoring SP instead.

Ah, I’ve also got everyone setup with the apothecary support skill to restore 30% HP/SP after every battle, that’s so useful.

Damn these are a lot of answers all at once, thanks everyone!

Temenos' latent power works really well with scholar's Elemental Barrage, it just tears through shields.

I have Osvald as a cleric at the moment but I dunno if it's a good fit for him or not.
Yeah that's why I had Temenos go scholar. Solid synergy.
I haven't played with Temenos much yet (I have Agnea Apothecary as my main healer and one of Ochette's monsters as backup) so I can't really speak on that.

For Osvald, Cleric is pretty good if you don't mind how restricted his physical options are for breaking enemies, since you're limited to staff-only. It's a nice option for keeping his SP up though unless you have an external source (I had SP regen via Agnea's NPC companion, so not a concern for me). I've mainly been using Arcanist on him, which fits really well especially with his talent, but outside the secret jobs my short time with him on Dancer wasn't too bad (wind magic access, dagger for breaking, buffs other party members if neither of those things are currently needed). This'll depend a lot on the rest of your party composition though.
Cleric for Osvald seems the safest choice one could make (probably why I'd go for it ahah), but yeah my problem is by having him and Temenos in the same party have each others' job I'd be severely limiting my breakage capabilities, like A LOT.

Don't have secret classes outside of inventor yet, though I'm sure I should be bumping into some of the others soon enough. Maybe I should prioritize some higher level areas exploration.
No idea. I do really like having Castii set up as apothecary/cleric though, as it means she can heal everyone at once with her regular spells without using resources, and keep the special move for loading up on buffs and restoring SP instead.

Ah, I’ve also got everyone setup with the apothecary support skill to restore 30% HP/SP after every battle, that’s so useful.
Apoth for Temenos is probably very valid too.

...see now my head is spinning ;P

I just finished Partitio intro, the music at the end with the sax was very good. Now I only need one more person for the full party, debating between Ochette and Agnea as both are close.

Cleric for Osvald seems the safest choice one could make (probably why I'd go for it ahah), but yeah my problem is by having him and Temenos in the same party have each others' job I'd be severely limiting my breakage capabilities, like A LOT.

Don't have secret classes outside of inventor yet, though I'm sure I should be bumping into some of the others soon enough. Maybe I should prioritize some higher level areas exploration.
Yeah, Temenos also having scholar is less big a deal due to his latent power, but if you have both I would definitely go with something else for Osvald. Honestly inventor might be interesting (depending on how many worthwhile skills you have on it), otherwise dancer for wind or thief for dark, if you want the elemental versatility. And you can always just shuffle it around and see if there's something you like the feel of.

Inventor is definitely the easiest/earliest of the secret jobs to run into,
two of the others you can get through normal exploration in some higher-level areas (but that you can rush early if you're careful), and the last requires finishing a certain character's final chapter before you can even go to the area it's in.

It's a really good support skill especially until you have "stronger" ones. I ended up dropping it after a bit though, because it turns out that one of the NPCs you can allure with Agnea has something like "restores SP" (as opposed to just "a little bit of SP") as their performance thing. Which means that every time I use Agnea to buff someone I also heal them for a whopping 75 SP and even with the more SP-hungry classes (like armsmaster oh my god) I can keep them fed while getting extra buffs for free.

This doesn't have anything to do with the previous discussion on the job system, and will probably interest like, 3 lurkers or something, BUT!

I have to say I'm insanely bothered by the Italian localization team's choice of changing the name of
From the Far Reaches of Hell into something (completely) different from its original OT 1 name. What are you people doing?! What is this lunacy? A piece of lore instrumental to the backstory of the first game and you go and change it.

What. the. fuck.

Either it's not actually the same book of the first game, but given all of the references to Orsterra in OT 2 (there's even a friggin map of the place) I doubt it. Or somebody has squarely fucked up. I think they've also changed the librarian going "I'm from Ors-" into "Uls-". Uls?! ULS?!
If they've actually fucked up it's criminal though, like, this is not a mistake you wanna make lmao. Only understandable (but not ok ;p) if the translation is being done by a different team.

Last edited:
Yeah, Temenos also having scholar is less big a deal due to his latent power, but if you have both I would definitely go with something else for Osvald. Honestly inventor might be interesting (depending on how many worthwhile skills you have on it), otherwise dancer for wind or thief for dark, if you want the elemental versatility. And you can always just shuffle it around and see if there's something you like the feel of.

Inventor is definitely the easiest/earliest of the secret jobs to run into,
two of the others you can get through normal exploration in some higher-level areas (but that you can rush early if you're careful), and the last requires finishing a certain character's final chapter before you can even go to the area it's in.

It's a really good support skill especially until you have "stronger" ones. I ended up dropping it after a bit though, because it turns out that one of the NPCs you can allure with Agnea has something like "restores SP" (as opposed to just "a little bit of SP") as their performance thing. Which means that every time I use Agnea to buff someone I also heal them for a whopping 75 SP and even with the more SP-hungry classes (like armsmaster oh my god) I can keep them fed while getting extra buffs for free.
I’m so looking forwards to finding more stuff like this! The game is so varied, imagine everyone will have a ton of different stories and strategies when we’re all done :)

I’m so looking forwards to finding more stuff like this! The game is so varied, imagine everyone will have a ton of different stories and strategies when we’re all done :)
Yeah, it's really cool! Between the party compositions, the extra path skills, and the larger map, there's a ton of different routes you can take both in terms of exploration and party setups. And I really like how the game rewards you for being a little daring with entering difficult areas early, while also not hesitating you immediately make you explode if you push it too hard.

In my early game, I immediately beelined for spending the 100k to unlock the ship, just to see where I could go, and got it unlocked around level 15. Then I immediately went into a level ~40-50 boss fight and got shredded turn 1. But once I knew to avoid that, and by making dubious ingenious autosave stops, I got some decent midgame loot early, and ended up unlocking arcanist before even hitting level 20.

I love how the game makes it pretty clear that's not the intended path, but also doesn't put any hard stops on you if you're stubborn enough to try to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom