• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Holy shit this soundtrack

I couldn't get over how gorgeous the night theme in Partitio's town is, only to be blown away by this Nier sounding theme in the Silver Mines. Incredible.

This is awesome, but can we have a customizable game icon that isn’t just the damn black background with white text? The “characters around the campfire” art is SO GOOD yet we’re stuck with the black box again

The Octopath combat system is so good, potentially my favorite turn based combat system in any game.

Started with Osvald, couldn’t help myself. It’s a strong mage who can also mug people and get free weak point info, he’s just too useful!

And I’ve only heard like four or five tracks so far but this is already soundtrack of the year, and I don’t really see that changing.

I was planning on playing as different characters per platform but my Switch copy is not here yet. I should've bought it digital like I did PS5 and Steam but wanted physical to go with my physical CE of first game.

4 characters chapter 1 complete! 7 hours in and the game is delivering like I expected. Moving on to some characters chapter 2 or picking up the remaining 4 along the way!

The game had a CCU peak of 15.000 today on Steam which is far above an past Asano game (which were late ports), and the highest for a Square Enix game this year.

Hopefully the game does great, even with a potentially lower launch, because it is deserved to be played by every JRPG fan.

Replayed Temenos' chapter 1 as I had no save demo to start off from (platform choice change) and I must admit, I take back what I said about the writing needing some editing down, it's actually quite brisk and to the point, refreshing coming off of Trails in the Sky the 3rd. [KISEKI OFF TOPIC: I have to wonder how Trials is actually going to handle VA (which is a thing in future games), maybe that's why they're longer? I loved the sky trilogy but with this knowledge in me I can't be too enthusiastic about stuff like CS lol] I didn't skip any story scenes or feel any bloat, honestly, just a really nicely structured story prologue for OT II's cleric. I'd say I was even more thorough the second go around. I also managed to find the secondary job near Throné's town, which I had missed during the demo. Lastly, running around gathering info from the townsfolk always feels sooo good, I'm already thinking: "ok to solve this character's sidequest I probably have to guide this one... oh but I have to come back once I'm stronger" and so on, or finding neat little secrets about the life or x, or y npc. It all feels so vibrant and alive.

Last edited:
Is this bliss?
Yes it is.

Also, at the surprise of nobody, the review(s) (I don't remember which ones) claiming that grinding is a necessity and/or that a single level makes a big difference are full of poopoo.
So far, a single new piece of equipement can give you something between a +14 to a +25 stat increase, while a level up gants you measly +2.

What a bunch of jokers.

Okay I'm about an hour into Hikari's storyline and I have to say.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger in-your-face foreshadowing than their city literally being named "Ku"

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger in-your-face foreshadowing than their city literally being named "Ku"
92fc459b0c25d90ab7db3a4465835b65317a12f5-1280x720.jpg

I went with Tressa in the first game, but decided to switch things up and go with Ochette for this one. Didn't bother with the demo because I was already convinced, and I was trying to finish Engage. I finished her first chapter last night, and damn does it feel great to finally have another Octopath game!

Okay, one of the secret jobs turns Hikari into an absolute killing machine with the right gear. Also, some of the late game monsters Ochette can summon are ridiculously powerful. These two will never leave my party

Starting with Osvald into Temenos is kind of funny. Go team magic, mugging, and coercion!

This is kinda random, but I'm asking for advice. I went to Best Buy last night and picked up a copy of the game. I then got notified of a copy I was watching on ebay got a price drop, and I decided to purchase it (the seller has 100% feedback). The ebay copy will be coming in sometime next week, and its $6 cheaper.

Is it possible to.. open up the bestbuy copy, and then return the ebay copy to bestbuy and get a refund? Has anyone done this before? lol

Just out of interest, how do you know if you stumble across a secret job? I’ve only played the demo and didn’t find one.

Just out of interest, how do you know if you stumble across a secret job? I’ve only played the demo and didn’t find one.
I literally just found one about an hour ago. I found a house, and there's a guy inside who just gives you the job straight-up, and the game tells you about it right then. So I don't think you'll be able to miss it, unless there are others that are more obscure or require more unlock conditions or something.

And this job is weird! It requires a lot of prep work but feels like it could be busted once that work is done.

This is kinda random, but I'm asking for advice. I went to Best Buy last night and picked up a copy of the game. I then got notified of a copy I was watching on ebay got a price drop, and I decided to purchase it (the seller has 100% feedback). The ebay copy will be coming in sometime next week, and its $6 cheaper.

Is it possible to.. open up the bestbuy copy, and then return the ebay copy to bestbuy and get a refund? Has anyone done this before? lol
I’ve done this before when Amazon didnt deliver my pre-order of a game on time, so I bought a copy from Best Buy and then returned the Amazon copy to Best Buy once it arrived.

As long as its the same product, they wont know the difference or care.

Picked up my copy this morning, and continued my demo save. I started with Partitio, because I'm a sucker for a yee haw merchant. I've picked up Hikari, Castti and Agnea, and I'm working on Ochette's first chapter now.

The variety of path actions is great (I love that at night people will just straight up give Agnea their shit if she's a high enough level), and there are a bunch of little touches I appreciate, like the characters complimenting each other in battle. I can tell I'm gonna sink a ton of time into this game.

It’s quite the tonal shift when you start the game with Osvald then go get Temenos and Throne, dealing with a lot of super serious darker elements, and then you hop a ship over and do Agnea’s chapter, lol.

I had written a longer post on this and decided to scrap it, (nothing serious mind you), but fucking hell, are all organized crime-type characters in this franchise gonna have Italian (sounding) names? lmao

I had written a longer post on this and decided to scrap it, (nothing serious mind you), but fucking hell, are all organized crime-type characters in this franchise gonna have Italian (sounding) names? lmao
I wonder if, because of the canals etc, whether they looked for inspiration for crime in the cities to records of Venice in the 1600s/1700s or something. That wasn’t especially renowned for crime/corruption but as an important city in Europe has a lot of records around for its administration etc, on top of the evocative setting, politics of the houses etc, crime following commercial trade, mercenaries, duels etc. I don’t know but that kinda renaissance setting is a fun one when you want beautiful buildings, water, politics and commerce, sword fights in the street etc.

Last edited:
I wonder if, because of the canals etc, whether they looked for inspiration for crime in the cities to records of Venice in the 1600s/1700s or something. That wasn’t especially renowned for crime/corruption but as an important city in Europe has a lot of records around for its administration etc, on top of the evocative setting, politics of the houses etc, crime following commercial trade, mercenaries, duels etc. I don’t know but that kinda renaissance setting is a fun one when you want beautiful buildings, water, politics and commerce, sword fights in the street etc.
Oh I'm sure the setting and inspirations for New Delta play into it in a major way! In the post I ended up scrapping I had intentions of mentioning that they also have organized crime-ish characters in the mobile game, Octopath: CotC, and those too have Italian or Italian sounding names. Twice in a row is something alright.

It's not a big deal, but I believe it is the result of a romanticized view of Italy and the mafia that Japan's pop culture (not only Japan's, but specifically Japan in this instance) is holding on to. Though maybe because it's reiterated they simply like to keep some consistency - well that's the nicer way of looking at it I guess ahah

How are y'all liking this so far? Planning to likely pick it up next month
Loving it! But being the user with the highest post count in the pre-release thread I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Man i have sunk 20 hours into the game already. It’s a really well done game and I find the pacing to be perfect. Really love the idea of starting with any character and going from there. Really game of the year material, as far as RPGs go. People need to buy this game so we get a third entry, you will not regret it.

How are y'all liking this so far? Planning to likely pick it up next month
I'm really enjoying it so far! The graphics and music are both incredible, and while the gameplay in Chapter 1s isn't all THAT exciting (you really need to get into Chapter 2s and have a full party so you can start mixing and matching abilities and strengths) it's still good. And the things are different and shaken up from the first game are all great so far.

I’ve only played four hours and finding it magnificent so far.

Especially the soundtrack. My goodness. In four hours I’ve heard maybe 10-ish songs and any of them could be another RPGs best song. I’m not exaggerating, it’s that good.

Realized the music that was playing when Hikari confronts Mugen in the throne room is a new arrangement of “Determination” from the first game. It’s in the Boost/Break remix album of the first game so I recognized it immediately and played a lot with Olberic so that’s a very cool call back, especially with the parallels already present between Hikari and Olberic.

Okay I'm about an hour into Hikari's storyline and I have to say.

Okay, I thought the city being named "Ku" was a big piece of foreshadowing, until the guy named "Roque" literally went rogue. This game is killing me with these names lol

That being said, god damn. This game is fantastic. Feels like classic JRPG perfection, down to every minute detail. Everything functions exactly how it says, and works the way you want it to. I'm already having a blast with party compositions.

Here's what I'm playing with right now:

Hikari - massive tank. Give him the skill that aggros enemies and raises his defense. Give him as much HP and defense as possible.

Castti - buff Hikari with the healing over time spell, preferably boosted several times.

With the aggro and defense up skill active alongside the healing over time, Ochette can focus on receiving damage and Crit buffs from herself and others, and just absolutely sweep with no worries thanks to Hikari.

I just got all eight characters and now I’m not sure what to do. Do I start up the next chapters in level order? Just start wandering? So many options!

Almost done with the Chapter 2s.

I was happy to see little Acta in my beast list, looks like we will be building a small, permanent collection.

I don't remember if that also happened in Octopath 1, it's been too long.

Just finished Temenos’s first chapter, and he’s already one of my favourite characters. Love what a sly bastard he is.

Just finished Temenos’s first chapter, and he’s already one of my favourite characters. Love what a sly bastard he is.
Temenos is great. “May the sacred flame guide you… or something like that.”

Actually I like pretty much everyone, and am interested in all their stories. Well maybe other than Agnea but that’s just because her Chapter 1 doesn’t really give you a story hook at all, but I’m assuming there will be one.

I just got all eight characters and now I’m not sure what to do. Do I start up the next chapters in level order? Just start wandering? So many options!
And there's no bad option either !

I am doing things way differently than you are, finished 2 charters from Osvald/Throne and the 1st chapter from Partitio/Hikari.

Did some Partitio subquests, probably going to aim for one of those job dungeons before doing Osvald chapter 3.

Just read on the Octopath subreddit that torches in dungeons indicate the main path, meaning routes that don't are the secondary ones that might lead to loot, which I had totally forgotten, AND that in buildings carpets have the same exact function!

Also hyped to see some very interesting stuff pointing towards OT and OT II being in the same world (it's somewhat spoiler-y though). Am I getting to have my cake and eat it too?!

Want to hear something funny? I just had a nightmare last night from something that happened in Castti's chapter 1.

I don't know the last time something actually gave me a nightmare. Am I seven years old?

Put another hour in today. This game is so good. Just the freedom to explore and the cool abilities and options for party synergies… great stuff.

Just had my first game over, wandering into a ‘threat level 16’ dungeon with a level 14 and two level 12 characters. We got destroyed in the first random battle. Well, that was educational and will teach me to pay attention to warning signs I guess :D

Last edited:
Entered into New Delsta and...I'm just damn grooving to the damn jazzy soundtrack. My word, I have nothing but unless praise for the soundtrack!

The battle system is just ace, really flexible, fair and rewarding when you pull off a successful strategy

Back
Top Bottom