• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Don't tell me I just got spoiled on the endgame boss. I'm a magnet for it I guess, doesn't help that some fuckers just can't help themselves.

I'm gonna pretend that didn't happen, for multiple reasons. 😭

Alright, time to try out some new job combinations! It's all about the journey anyways!

Still getting other characters but my God, I did not expect to freaking love Temenos, this guy just plays everyone like a damn fiddle lol.

How long is this game? I feel there’s so much left of the game (including undiscovered locations). I’m about 30 hours in
We're going at a similar pace uh. The game is probably huge honestly, the first OT was already long, this one is a behemoth. The amount of main AND secondary quests, areas, dungeons, npcs, you name it, was not in check lol

Incidentally, I just got the ship! The ocean just opened up, so I'm now left wondering whether it's a reasonable perimeter or (also) downright enormous. It was quite a moment 30 hours into the game. The wonderlust is real as I'm already looking for new, uncharted dungeons. Maybe a secret job lies here somewhere as well?

Random tiny thoughts barrage:

The New Delsta "shark side-quest" is pretty cool, and so is the one with the two fishermen in the town where you buy the ship, crazy that if you put to sleep the guy during nighttime it won't work as he needs more time to rest, so you have to do it during the day ahah

This game is something alright...

Also Osvald's chapter 4 really feels like Kakunoshin Futsuzawa's writing. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it definitely is his breed of messed up grimdark lol. Temenos' chapter 3 going for the feels as well...

We're going at a similar pace uh. The game is probably huge honestly, the first OT was already long, this one is a behemoth. The amount of main AND secondary quests, areas, dungeons, npcs, you name it, was not in check lol

Incidentally, I just got the ship! The ocean just opened up, so I'm now left wondering whether it's a reasonable perimeter or (also) downright enormous. It was quite a moment 30 hours into the game. The wonderlust is real as I'm already looking for new, uncharted dungeons. Maybe a secret job lies here somewhere as well?

Random tiny thoughts barrage:

The New Delsta "shark side-quest" is pretty cool, and so is the one with the two fishermen in the town where you buy the ship, crazy that if you put to sleep the guy during nighttime it won't work as he needs more time to rest, so you have to do it during the day ahah

This game is something alright...

Also Osvald's chapter 4 really feels like Kakunoshin Futsuzawa's writing. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it definitely is his breed of messed up grimdark lol. Temenos' chapter 3 going for the feels as well...

I just got the ship today! Yea the game seems massive, which is a good thing. I don’t think I’ll complete all the side quests but will aim for the main content/ interesting content!

I too just got the ship today. I contemplated save scumming to get it for free, but then I realized how long that might take and just went for a 20% discount instead. The ocean battle theme is awesome.

I'm debating what to do next. I think either Agnea's chapter 3 or Throné's chapter 2F.

I mostly got the ship through selling off the meat Ochette had prepared along the journey. The true merchant way, who knew that jerky and paella was worth more than suits of armour :D

I too just got the ship today. I contemplated save scumming to get it for free, but then I realized how long that might take and just went for a 20% discount instead. The ocean battle theme is awesome.

I'm debating what to do next. I think either Agnea's chapter 3 or Throné's chapter 2F.
Also went for the 20% off; I'm not save scumming anything with how long that can take! Plus I find the whole concept kind of boring tbh

I kind of wish Octopath Traveler II came out in April instead of such a busy month. I have so much I want to play right now, but this seems GOTG tier so far. Balancing Wo Long, Ishin, Octopath, Bar Line, Wild Hearts.... oof

35 hours in, looks like I’ll have to level up some characters to do their respective stories. Any good spots for grinding some levels on fast speed?
What I’ve done is level up the late party additions by rotating them into the party, with three high level ones and one low level one (with good equipment). Then just carry on at an area level-appropriate for the high level ones. The new characters level up fast and they don’t slow down the high level ones by very much, even if I’m just using the newbies for handing items out in boss fights.

35 hours in, looks like I’ll have to level up some characters to do their respective stories. Any good spots for grinding some levels on fast speed?
Did you find the hidden jobs yet ?

Rather than grinding, I would suggest exploring and finding hidden dungeons and the chests/bosses they contain, it will boost both your gear and your level.

Did you find the hidden jobs yet ?

Rather than grinding, I would suggest exploring and finding hidden dungeons and the chests/bosses they contain, it will boost both your gear and your level.

I found quite a few of them, lots of secret dungeons I found are way above my level at the moment, others I have completed. Guess I can always go explore the sea (which I have not done much).

I've been noticing something in the UI for the last few hours now but has anyone else been paying attention to the loading icon? I'm not sure what the exact cause is but as I progress, the bottom-right part of it has been getting dimmer, to the point where it's basically gone dark now. I wonder when that's going to be relevant.

I've been noticing something in the UI for the last few hours now but has anyone else been paying attention to the loading icon? I'm not sure what the exact cause is but as I progress, the bottom-right part of it has been getting dimmer, to the point where it's basically gone dark now. I wonder when that's going to be relevant.
I haven't really noticed as loading times on PS5 are basically gone (even as I'm playing the BC version) but I've seen people mention
something of the sort, maybe even relating to the main screen?

It wouldn't surprise me though, what you're noticing probably is a thing, because there's a precedent for it in a way. The Octopath mobile game, Champions of the Continent, did a similar thing for its final story arc which just wrapped up now in Japan, where they essentially hid in plain sight through a changing main screen a key story development. I can't be too sure over the details as I haven't experienced it firsthand and only know of it through some relatively disinterested discord scrolling, but you get the gist of it!

So it probably is some subtle teasing. Honestly, I am very curious as to where the endgame will go as a big fan of the first game. There's tons of references to the lore of the original Octopath, so I'm super interested in seeing whether they are playing with that or not.

I still have a while for the endgame though, so I won't be able to partake in any spoiler-heavy discussion anytime soon ahah

Last edited:
Also went for the 20% off; I'm not save scumming anything with how long that can take! Plus I find the whole concept kind of boring tbh
Yeah, I don't really have the patience to wait for a 1% chance. Plus, from what I've heard, money becomes much easier to come by later on so it's not a huge deal.

It would have made the cutscene following the purchase really funny though.

Finally finished Agnea intro and got the 4 party members. Went to explore 2 of side dungeons that were lvl 16 and manage to get some quick levels. Now working on getting to the first location of Castti ch 2 area. I also really like the game worked for some quick sessions, I cleared one of the dungeons (lair of something, the one near Castti initial area) while I was waiting for a relative to pick some thing in a store

Finally finished Agnea intro and got the 4 party members. Went to explore 2 of side dungeons that were lvl 16 and manage to get some quick levels. Now working on getting to the first location of Castti ch 2 area. I also really like the game worked for some quick sessions, I cleared one of the dungeons (lair of something, the one near Castti initial area) while I was waiting for a relative to pick some thing in a store
One thing that I like is that even though you do need to cycle party members out to keep everyone leveled up evenly, it seems like higher-leveled zones give you TONS of XP for lower level characters so it's not hard to do. You'll zoom up in no time if you're just cycling people out and exploring new zones as you go.

For levelling up I been doing nights for stronger enemies (more experience). And once in a while you get that one enemy (similar to a dragon quest metal slime) that shows up. Kill it immediately before it runs off and you will be rewarded heavy. You’ll know the enemy when the music changes…

One thing that I like is that even though you do need to cycle party members out to keep everyone leveled up evenly, it seems like higher-leveled zones give you TONS of XP for lower level characters so it's not hard to do. You'll zoom up in no time if you're just cycling people out and exploring new zones as you go.
And you don't even need to cycle them. How I played the first one is gather all 8 members, finish all the chapters with the my 4 favorites ones, and once that is done just change 1 or 2, since equipment is more important than levels, the new ones will pick up their level naturally adn the other 2 will help them carry through higher level areas, and you don't have to stop at any moment to grind.

And you don't even need to cycle them. How I played the first one is gather all 8 members, finish all the chapters with the my 4 favorites ones, and once that is done just change 1 or 2, since equipment is more important than levels, the new ones will pick up their level naturally adn the other 2 will help them carry through higher level areas, and you don't have to stop at any moment to grind.
Yeah, it tends to work out really nice like that, that's what I've been doing as well.

On that note though, just a heads-up for anyone who's doing that with Throné as the low-level party member: you will be hard gated on her last chapter (the one recommend for level 45) if she's under level 34, because you need to knock someone out and her path skill is level-based.

I don't know if any other paths have this issue - I didn't run into it on Castti at all despite her also being low level, and I haven't done Agnea and Temenos's last chapters yet.

Sea is well worth exploring for finding some experience boosters!!
I need to get back out to sea. When I first tried the monsters were quite tough, but there’s a great reason to try to beat monsters way above you as it did get me some amazing beasts for Ochette that have stuck with me for a long time. Now I could probably explore more easily (party is mostly level 34), but there’s so much ground to cover, I get so easily distracted :D

Was checking some items to sell to clear inventory and saw that Agnea's purse is not just a key item and you can sell it for the 10K she saved. Couldn't sell it, girl saved for that through years ;__;

Agnea’s purse is one of the few things I haven’t sold off, it does feels odd that she joined the party and went straight onto the subs bench while leaving her life savings available for a bunch of random travellers to sell in order to buy a new hat or whatever!

Also after a lot of "soothing" from Castti, really your'e just drugging off people, I understand why they don't call it directly but yeah, there's nothing "Noble" about that lol

I also sold the purse immediately, but in my defense I bought her a fancy knife with it!! That's what she saved up for I swear.

Honestly it's still less bad than taking candy from children, or
how after a super emotional moment where a dying mother is giving her child a last memento for her birthday... you can later come back and steal the memento off the kid and sell it. If you're a horrible, horrible person.

I also sold the purse immediately, but in my defense I bought her a fancy knife with it!! That's what she saved up for I swear.

how after a super emotional moment where a dying mother is giving her child a last memento for her birthday... you can later come back and steal the memento off the kid and sell it. If you're a horrible, horrible person.
There's definitely a bit of dissonance with some of the path actions - especially if you start on the East continent and your early actions are "Mug, Steal, Coerce, and Ambush" like mine were. Like... I swear I'm the good guys, honest! I'm helping people! Totally!

There's definitely a bit of dissonance with some of the path actions - especially if you start on the East continent and your early actions are "Mug, Steal, Coerce, and Ambush" like mine were. Like... I swear I'm the good guys, honest! I'm helping people! Totally!
At least they make sense for the characters they're on, even if it does beg the question of... why do the others let them? Friends don't let friends throw sharks at random strangers.

You do get some really funny moments as a result though. After a chapter about how we should all get along etc etc power of friendship, a previously antagonistic NPC finally showed up as an interactible character on the map... so I immediately mugged her for her items. But like, in a friendly way now or something.

At least for some side quests it does make sense when you steal something or knock someone out or whatnot.

At least they make sense for the characters they're on, even if it does beg the question of... why do the others let them? Friends don't let friends throw sharks at random strangers.

You do get some really funny moments as a result though. After a chapter about how we should all get along etc etc power of friendship, a previously antagonistic NPC finally showed up as an interactible character on the map... so I immediately mugged her for her items. But like, in a friendly way now or something.

At least for some side quests it does make sense when you steal something or knock someone out or whatnot.
Also make sense from some of the npc, like the guy that worked for the landlord in Partitio's town, after you finish his chapter you can steal his only silver coin, I did it without remorse

Thanks I’m going to do that lol

Something I forgot to ask, the travel banter between Castii and Partitio during her chapter in Sai has some interesting implications, is it mentionned/developped sometimes later?

Finally got the 8th party member, now finally to move on to chapter 2. My ranking of the intros

Osvald > Temenos > Hikari > Castti / Partitio > Throné > Ochette / Agnea

All of them were good but certainly Osvald and Temenos story shone above the others

Finally got the 8th party member, now finally to move on to chapter 2. My ranking of the intros

Osvald > Temenos > Hikari > Castti / Partitio > Throné > Ochette / Agnea

All of them were good but certainly Osvald and Temenos story shone above the others
Yeah they all do a good job of presenting a mystery and making you wonder what’s going on, where the story is going, etc., in a short timeframe. Other than Agnea, who’s just kind of a “country girl goes out to realize her dreams” bit. And that’s fine! But it does seem to stick out a bit among all the others.

Yeah they all do a good job of presenting a mystery and making you wonder what’s going on, where the story is going, etc., in a short timeframe. Other than Agnea, who’s just kind of a “country girl goes out to realize her dreams” bit. And that’s fine! But it does seem to stick out a bit among all the others.
Yeah I was expecting a twist like pretty much all the other stories, but no, her dad finally made up with her, she saved the money and danced, that's it. Again not a bad thing but it really stick out from the other

For some reason the Flamechurch Cathedral kills the framerate playing on switch. For anyone playing it in PS does that also happens?

Aw, Timberlain castle square.
One NPC says that the princess has no eye for suitors, only the gardener she grew up with. Turn up at night, and the princess is looking at the gardener, and tells you her friend deserves her attention, and not to interrupt. The gardener says ‘the princess is brusque but means well’, and an onlooker, looking at them both, says ‘I’ve never been in love before’. So sweet.
Naturally I ambushed them to see what happened when I KO’d the princess and then robbed the gardener in broad daylight

Two things:

1. Started tackling the finales of some of the travelers. Upon first hearing the final chapter boss theme I was like "eh, it's no Battle at Journey's End is it", after the second/third time though I was like Oh ohohohoh oh ohohohohohohoh!

2. I could be totally off the mark here once I hit the later stages of the story but, am I alone in thinking that the final chapters (well, the ones I've done so far, i.e. Témenos, Osvald, Throné) sort of feel like a retelling of the first game? Especially Throné's. Not necessarily as far as themes go, but because of how
we seem to have somebody pulling the strings behind the scenes (which isn't exactly uncharacteristic as far as these type of narratives go), and more importantly, due to Cluade and Lostseed. Claude being god knows how many years old definitely reminds us of Mattias, though did he obtain actual immortality or just a life extension like OT 1's prankster? An even bigger deal is Lostseed; all of its inhabitants are vessels. If you've played the first Octopath but need a refresher on its story do you remember how a huge part of its bigger narrative played on Lyblac's quest to resurrect Galdera utilizing Kit as a vessel. We also have people outside of Lostseed being vessels right? The man in Temenos ch. 2's town, the Sun Temple one, who shows after being inquired the same ominous "death destruction ..." message that was in OT 1. Add to that From the Far Reaches of Hell being a book that is sought after by the librarian in Montwise and well... It's a lot, like, a lot of "references".

Again, I could be way off the mark here, and these may be just coincidences, but it's pretty fun stuff to be honest.

Edit: in general these things could also be thought of by the writers as fanservice or as fun inter-textual, meta-ish nods, which is ultimately what I think they'll be.

Last edited:
I dunno how some of you get so much time to game lol, I've played about 14 hours so far and feel like it's a LOT, just starting chapter 2's.

Had my first wipe on Hikari's chapter 2 boss. Same issue I had with Octopath 1 in that your first run through a boss just feels like a practice run and you're really not gonna have a chance until you at least know their weaknesses. Like he had an ability where he locks out half his weaknesses and only dagger and fire attacks worked to break -- but I didn't have any of my dagger characters leveled up or in the party. So in those phases I struggled with it taking way too long to get the breaks off single hit fire spells and Hikari's counter. So now I swapped out Osvald (who was basically useless in the fight) with Throne, but have to go level her up first since I haven't even used her yet at all. And I'm sure my second time in the fight will be fine, I had him in the red on the first go but just lost the war of attrition.

I remember in Octopath 1 I would get to the point where I'd just reveal all a boss weaknesses, snap a screenshot, and reload my save. You just end up wasting a bunch of time otherwise or, if you do manage to beat one on the first go, use up a lot more resources than you needed to.

Back
Top Bottom