• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Sorry if that have already been answered but compared to OT 1, how is the leveling / farming in this one ?

In OT 1 I used to do a character chapter and make sure that I had in the party the character I'll do next so it would level up enough, but at ont point it became extremely boring.
In both OT games it's gear that is most important not your level. As long as you have up-to-date gear even your lower leveled characters can pull their weight in battle.

The only guide I used in the first OT was one that kept track of travel banter.

You can recruit all 8 as early or as late as you want. While some areas are gated off by higher levels, all of the starting areas are accessible. You can also just recruit the travelers and save their introductory chapter for later if you want.

I'm not sure exactly what will help with making combat exciting for you, but keep an eye out for shrines nearby the travelers' starting areas that will allow their jobs to be equipped as secondary jobs for other travelers. And remember to use JP to learn more skills!

Yeah, I found two of those shrines and I am using the job system. I guess I need to progress more, since I am still with 6/8 characters available and so far I didn't need to experiment a lot with the jobs to overcome most of the challenges.

In the demo I liked how the chests were hidden, but now after 10 hours I'm noticing an obvious pattern in the way the game distributes these chests always on diverging paths that lead exclusively to them. At first you feel smart for discovering these paths but when the same pattern is repeated so many times, it becomes a bit redundant and that feeling of discovery vanishes.

Regarding the path action system... how many characters have the exact same action of getting a description from an NPC?! I understand that they did this because they can't control which four characters you're going to choose to bring to your main party, and they want you to have always one who can perform this action, but again it's extremely redundant and make these characters feel more samey than they should... it's even worse when some of these actions are clearly better than others to achieve the same goal. Everytime a character is presented to me with a new path action I get excited to see what uniqueness it brings to the table but then I read the descripcion of it and it's basically the same path action as the others. You have six actions to "extract info" from someone and four to "steal" something from someone.

The anniversary broadcast starts in 25 minutes:

Edit: Popularity contest for the first game I think?

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten Octopath 2 yet
r5pffisytxc11.jpg

This thread is still somewhat alive, and as such, I've decided I'll post this here instead of the general RPG thread: there's actually some (not game-related) news that came out of OT's 5th anniversary stream (and other things too):

1) Break and Boost Vol.2 is happening, and it won't just feature stuff from OT2, but from OT and OT:CotC as well!
2) There will be an Octopath concert(/multiple?, I can't tell) in the Spring of next year. Again, this info comes directly from Bolt, who often provides the community with translated information from JP streams.
3) Break, Boost and Beyond Live! is now available on streaming services.

Now, besides all of these music updates, I'd add that (4) the 1st year anniversary for the EN version of OT: Champions of the Continent is happening on the 27th. There are various goodies being distributed and promotions happening right now in-game, so on the off-chance of somebody reading this and wanting to try out the mobile/gacha/prequel game, well, there's no better time than the present.

Edit: added a link.

Last edited:
I'm 45 hours in now and I don't have any major problems with the game.
The only minor issues I have are:
  • Sometimes the cutscenes & dialogue are too long, but it is better than I remember from the original Octopath Traveler.
  • For some sidequests your characters need to be at a high level, so I'm not in incentivised to do sidequests after I finish every chapter of every character, because I don't like having to talk to every NPC in every place twice. Did anyone else experience this?

Also there's something funny I want to share, which I don't see as an issue.
The way I played the game is that I first completed every chapter of a party of 4 characters and after that I started on the chapters of the second party of 4 characters. I'm currently halfway the stories of this second party by the way.
I chose these parties in such a way that I have every day & night version of every path action in both of these parties. So my first party was Hikari, Partitio, Castti & Agnea and my second (current) party is Ochette, Throné, Temenos & Osvald.
Now what happens is that because I already finished the stories with my first party I have some very good weapons and armor in my inventory.
But these characters are underleveled because I already visited almost every town in the game, so I can fast travel to the towns needed to complete the stories of my second party and they won't get XP from the routes between these towns.
So this strangely balances out everything quite well and doesn't make the enemies & bosses too easy for my second party, but they are a bit easier than it was for my first party.

Overall, a very good game and really an example of what a sequel should be like.
Each new feature (the ocean travel, the small boats on water, the latent power, day & night cycle, etc.) add something to the game. None of them feel unfinished or useless.
I'd like to mention that I was not bothered by the unconnected stories in the original Octopath Traveler, but it is surprisingly fun to see characters interact in the Crossed Paths stories. It does make it feel much more alive! It would've been nice if these stories were larger and if there were more than 4 of them though...

Can't wait to play more of the game and finish it!
I hope they will make an Octopath Traveler 3 and improve as much upon Octopath Traveler 2 as they did with this one.

By the way, for some reason I don't recall using the Merchant Skill "Hired Help" in the original Octopath Traveler but I used it quite a lot in Octopath Traveler 2 (more specifically the highest 30.000 leaves hired help) and it feels very overpowered. This doesn't stop me from using it a lot though ;)

the raw hilarity of my man oswald having reputation loss from being a lil mean talking to an old lady, and having exactly 0 loss from mugging and beating up an entire town's worth of people including the person who saved him is not lost on me

also being followed by this. god

sp376Bi.png

QIag6Xr.png

don't even worry kind citizen, i'll protect you from future muggings by mugging you myself

Some early thoughts after beating chapter 1 of Agnea and then Partitio...

I thought I would have trouble with the combat system, but I quickly learned it and I quite enjoy how it works.
Partitio's theme is fantastic. Love the sax.

10 hours in and I feel...kinda disappointed?
I've put 100 hours in the first game and I was really stoked for the sequel, but everything is the same. So far it feels completely copy/paste.

I've been thinking a bit about why I dropped the game and have come to this hot take:

The first Octopath's formula was good, actually, and any deviations the second game has made in chapter structure (at least as far as I got, which was all the chapter 2s and a couple 3s) led to honestly just strictly worse chapters

10 hours in and I feel...kinda disappointed?
I've put 100 hours in the first game and I was really stoked for the sequel, but everything is the same. So far it feels completely copy/paste.

I will never understand how people can not like the first game and claim to enjoy the second so much to be one of their favourites RPGs ever. It's basicslly the same game with the same structure and the same problems the first entry had. I bought it because of that after not liking the first one and here I am, dropped it 15 hours in after Thrones chapter 3, having completed all first chapters and most second ones.

I get you may gel with some of these characters more than the ones from the first entry, but the game shares the same amount of virtues and issues. I would say that if you didn't like the original, don't go for this.

Also, some new things this one introduces are... totally irrelevant? Like the night and day option, it's totally a gimmick that could be fully erased from the game and nothing would happen. It feels to be there just to have a check mark of something new in the comparative list between both games. However, worst offender are the field actions and how half of them are the same with different names.

Last edited:
I will never understand how people can not like the first game and claim to enjoy the second so much to be one of their favourites RPGs ever.

Also, some new things this one introduces are... totally irrelevant? Like the night and day option, it's totally a gimmick that could be fully erased from the game and nothing would happen.
I sort of agree with your first point, but from the opposite opinion. In the sense that I loved the first game, and for me 2 was "the same but better", making it one of my favorite game ever.

I only had two real problems with the original : how the travel banters could be easily missed, and the secret boss requiring to do a boss rush for every attempt.
Both of these problems were fixed in the sequel, but they don't change the general feel of the game. So it is hard to understand when I see people talking about Octo 2 as if it's some kind of incredible improvement over the original.

For your second point, it's not true. The day/night system is used cleverly during multiple side quests, like the one in the port town with the two brothers (or friends, I don't remember) who keep missing each other.

I can't see why this game can be considered a copy-paste of OT1 when: 1) it's a story driven RPG that features a completely different world, cast of characters, and stories; and 2) It came out 4/5 years after the first game. Why do yearly/semi-yearly series get away with barely changing anything for 5+ years straight of title after title and somehow this second entry should re-invent the wheel? (This is without getting into the actual changes and additions brought in for II, mind you.)

It's the usual damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, where series like FF are trashed because "they don't have an identity", while series like DQ are because "they're remaking the same game over and over again".

Moreover (and honestly I might be alone in this) I already voiced how i feel that the game is a stealth re-imagining/remake of the first, without getting into spoilers, due to its overarching story structure and epilogue.

Now, would I like some more fundamental rather than incremental changes to the battle system/exploration/what have you for OT3? Sure, why not. (I honestly don't want them to repeat the overarching plot set-up sort of beat for beat again.)

The spark and novelty not being there is understandable, but I don't think that saying the game is a copy/paste is fair.
I've been thinking a bit about why I dropped the game and have come to this hot take:

The first Octopath's formula was good, actually, and any deviations the second game has made in chapter structure (at least as far as I got, which was all the chapter 2s and a couple 3s) led to honestly just strictly worse chapters
I think you're the second person I read saying that, it is the hottest of takes on the game I gotta say ;P

OT is a 50-70+ hour long RPG without minigames or side-distractions existing outside of its core systems, it needs the chapter variety if you ask me.
I will never understand how people can not like the first game and claim to enjoy the second so much to be one of their favourites RPGs ever. It's basicslly the same game with the same structure and the same problems the first entry had. I bought it because of that after not liking the first one and here I am, dropped it 15 hours in after Thrones chapter 3, having completed all first chapters and most second ones.

I get you may gel with some of these characters more than the ones from the first entry, but the game shares the same amount of virtues and issues. I would say that if you didn't like the original, don't go for this.

Also, some new things this one introduces are... totally irrelevant? Like the night and day option, it's totally a gimmick that could be fully erased from the game and nothing would happen. It feels to be there just to have a check mark of something new in the comparative list between both games. However, worst offender are the field actions and how half of them are the same with different names.
I don't really get it either, that said it absolutely does not have the same structure of the first game, Nabisco dropped OT2 because of its story structure being changed. Moreover I have to ask what exactly are these problems the first entry (and 2 by extension) had?

Of course it's totally cool if you don't gel with the series, no one has to, just interested in your take that's all.

I also disagree about the day/night system introduction being irrelevant. Because one, they actually play around it for some side-quests, and two, when has a day/night cycle ever hurt an adventure driven game such as an RPG? As you said it also exists to give players more freedom with path actions, so that they don't have to go to a tevern to swap out party members just to perform a certain action, a nuisance, more than anything, that we're better off without I'd say.

Last edited:
I can't see why this game can be considered a copy-paste of OT1 when: 1) it's a story driven RPG that features a completely different world, cast of characters, and stories; and 2) It came out 4/5 years after the first game. Why do yearly/semi-yearly series get away with barely changing anything for 5+ years straight of title after title and somehow this second entry should re-invent the wheel? (This is without getting into the actual changes and additions brought in for II, mind you.)

It's the usual damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, where series like FF are trashed because "they don't have an identity", while series like DQ are because "they're remaking the same game over and over again".

Moreover (and honestly I might be alone in this) I already voiced how i feel that the game is a stealth re-imagining/remake of the first, without getting into spoilers, due to its overarching story structure and epilogue.

Now, would I like some more fundamental rather than incremental changes to the battle system/exploration/what have you for OT3? Sure, why not. (I honestly don't want them to repeat the overarching plot set-up sort of beat for beat again.)

The spark and novelty not being there is understandable, but I don't think that saying the game is a copy/paste is fair.

I think you're the second person I read saying that, it is the hottest of takes on the game I gotta say ;P

OT is a 50-70+ hour long RPG without minigames or side-distractions existing outside of its core systems, it needs the chapter variety if you ask me.

I don't really get it either, that said it absolutely does not have the same structure of the first game, Nabisco dropped OT2 because of its story structure being changed. Moreover I have to ask what exactly are these problems the first entry (and 2 by extension) had?

Of course it's totally cool if you don't gel with the series, no one has to, just interested in your take that's all.

I also disagree about the day/night system introduction being irrelevant. Because one, they actually play around it for some side-quests, and two, when has a day/night cycle ever hurt and adventure driven game such as an RPG? As you said it also exists to give players more freedom with path actions, so that they don't have to go to a tevern to swap out party members just to perform a certain action, a nuisance, more than anything, that we're better off without I'd say.
Gotta love how we commented at basically the same time to defend the game. It really is installed on our brains.

For your second point, it's not true. The day/night system is used cleverly during multiple side quests, like the one in the port town with the two brothers (or friends, I don't remember) who keep missing each other.

I mean, I understand that as the definition of a gimmick. Something that has a cool use once or twice but loses the lasting appeal to build around it. Most of the time I would say the day and night system is even an annoyance to the player. You basically end changing from one to the other to see if some field actions can be used with some NPCs and these NPCs sometimes move or just disappear depending on the day. It's not even a puzzle, it's annoying switching around just to take an item from someone be sure one field action is gated to a certain level and you need to take another with other character for the same purpose that only works at the other time of the day. Extra steps for something that doesn't involve any strategic or puzzle component. It's just that way because... reasons.

If the game built around it like in the quest you mention, I would be all for it. But the system as it is, served more as an annoyance for me.

Also, if your original party member is Throne, you basically wanna be on night all the time you are exploring the world because of the buffs your character get in combat. So yeah, I didn't find any interesting use to it.

For me, Octopath 1 was full of great ideas and a great look and great music, but was a bit too rigid with the chapter formula and structure, the characters were a bit too straightforward, and it lacked enough of the characters coming together and interacting and some kind of overall plot. Octopath 2 fixed all of that while not radically changing anything, so it really is basically “Octopath 1, but better and improved in most every way.”

I also think it’s a bit odd for someone to hate the original and end up loving this game, and yet that’s a story I’ve heard multiple times both among friends and industry people. I wonder if it’s less that they hated the original, and more that they bounced off it midway through due to its various flaws and structure issues. But I do find it interesting that that has come up many times, so there must be something there.

As for night being a good addition: Sure, it isn’t utilized very strongly, but it’s a nice touch that adds some flavor and feel to the game and plays a role in some clever ways in a few sidequests. Plus, c’mon, it gave us all those gorgeous night music tracks! I would have gladly taken it just for that and the night visuals alone, even if it served literally no other function.

Well at least I'm not the only person (provided the other person wasn't just me the first time I said this take)

I guess I'm less bothered by the mere existence of formula than others, and for me I think this game style is best in dungeons and boss battles. And since the chapter deviations in 2, at least from what I played, mostly consist of me not getting a dungeon and/or boss battle, that tends to feel worse than just getting the formula again

@SammyJ9 How could I forget the extra music! (and vistas). Quite frankly, most games would have just added the day/night cycle and called it a day, but honestly I'd argue they very much expanded upon the idea as...
Also, if your original party member is Throne, you basically wanna be on night all the time you are exploring the world because of the buffs your character get in combat. So yeah, I didn't find any interesting use to it.
It's funny that you mentioned this actually, because it's yet another element that plays into the day/night system: Throné and all the other travelers are stronger at night because the enemies are too! Ergo, do you take the gamble and face the harder fights at night to grind some extra exp., or do you take the easy way out and turn on daytime (and by extension miss out on the exp./challenge)?

Meaning we have:
1) A wider variety of ambiance, provided by both the environments and the music.
2) Some side-quest that play into the system, providing extra variety and melding nicely with OT's systemic/interactive-ish world design. (Some, of course, having all of them do that would be ridiculous). I also just now remembered that there's a late-game dungeon that utilizes the day/night system too!
3) An extra step of choice for the battling and exploring, in the form of the aforementioned night-extra skill-harder enemies game design.
Well at least I'm not the only person (provided the other person wasn't just me the first time I said this take)

I guess I'm less bothered by the mere existence of formula than others, and for me I think this game style is best in dungeons and boss battles. And since the chapter deviations in 2, at least from what I played, mostly consist of me not getting a dungeon and/or boss battle, that tends to feel worse than just getting the formula again
It was someone else I'm pretty sure haha. They did sound like an absolute contrarian though, and didn't elaborate any further, it was a rather amusing comment actually. Maybe they had the same feelings as you, who knows. I definitely see how you feel about it now, though I wouldn't exactly call the dungeon crawling an highlight of the series, I find it way more fun in OT2.

I have to be honest, I feel the exact same way. I loved Octopath 1. It was my second favorite game of 2018. But the sequel is…largely the same thing. To the point where I have to wonder what people are seeing in this that truly elevates this?

It’s still great, and I’m enjoying exploration and combat a lot, but the story still struggles with the same problems the original did. You wind up being most attached to the first characters you find, every cutscene plays out in a static frame, the audio is poorly mixed and it’s very sleepy to watch.

Def feel like it’s overhyped online. But it is more of a good thing.

hikari's storyline so goddamn good ya'll. i was intending to switch between characters but this just gripped way too hard after the arena story. it really feels like a tight war story akin to fire emblem which i love

Picked up Castti, and am now scouring the map for my 4th party member. One thing I'm enjoying so far is the fact that I didn't look up any "tips for playing this game" guides before starting. I'm playing it my way, not the way some guide online tells me to, and that has made it less stressful in a way, because I don't feel like I'm doing it "wrong".

hikari's storyline so goddamn good ya'll. i was intending to switch between characters but this just gripped way too hard after the arena story. it really feels like a tight war story akin to fire emblem which i love
The real reason to not hyper focus on one story is twofer

One: You'll have to grind to be at level for the chapter

Two: You'll end up way over leveled for everyone else's story

Picked up Castti, and am now scouring the map for my 4th party member. One thing I'm enjoying so far is the fact that I didn't look up any "tips for playing this game" guides before starting. I'm playing it my way, not the way some guide online tells me to, and that has made it less stressful in a way, because I don't feel like I'm doing it "wrong".
That’s exactly the way to play it, I think. You get a lot more out of Octopath when everything is a surprise, when you make the decisions of where to go at each crossroads, which objective to chase next

The real reason to not hyper focus on one story is twofer

One: You'll have to grind to be at level for the chapter

Two: You'll end up way over leveled for everyone else's story

i'd actually already gotten way overleveled before i did anyone's chapter 2 cus i just went around exploring the open world lol. by the end of my 'sidequest into sidequest' loop i'd explored almost the entire world and was roaming around like level 40 dungeons lmao

ended up making hikari's more fun though cus i could try the big team intended bosses solo without getting totally smashed. in fact i took that till the very end of the game by fainting my party members before every big boss.

that was a really fun ride actually. though doing the last boss like that ended up pretty much impossible at my level lol

why is partitio's the most weirdly engaging wholesome communist nonsense story i've ever heard in my life ya'll? i was just doing throne's story for a bit and switched to partitio just to unlock an area. ended up so invested i just blew through the entire thing lmao

also

OeWiZMC.png

did this literal normal ass dude just beat up a fucking train???? huh????

i love this fuckin stupid ass game man

why is partitio's the most weirdly engaging wholesome communist nonsense story i've ever heard in my life ya'll? i was just doing throne's story for a bit and switched to partitio just to unlock an area. ended up so invested i just blew through the entire thing lmao

also

OeWiZMC.png

did this literal normal ass dude just beat up a fucking train???? huh????

i love this fuckin stupid ass game man
Best train beat-down since Sabin vs ghost train in FFVI
:D

I'm glad this thread's not dead because I finally started the game! For history, I enjoyed Octopath 1 but never finished all the stories, I ran out of motivation and liked about half of the cast much more than the other half. Interested to see how this one goes.

I gotta say, playing it on my PC, it has got to be one of the best looking HD-2D games ever.

i just had to make it lore accurate on purpose

KMXldAH.png

the idea of this tini healer lady just solo savaging a damn gigantic beetle that wrecked an entire army is way too wild man. unreal.

also castti is just straight busted in gameplay as im starting to realize. she might actually be the single strongest character in the game

why is partitio's the most weirdly engaging wholesome communist nonsense story i've ever heard in my life ya'll?
Been months since I finished the game and Partitio has by far stuck in my memory the most. The premise is ridiculous but he is so earnest — and the VO so well attuned to that sincerity — that it becomes a knockout. I liked a lot of his dungeons too, and his big finale was my favourite area!

Every time I look at this thread I wish I was still playing haha.

I wasn't quite prepared for how long these boss fights are. Doing the one right now for Chapter 2 of Agnea and it's longer than anything I faced in Persona 5 Royal.

Finally took out the two defenders, then he spawns in two more and I'm like, well, dunno how I'm gonna beat this now...

Is the quest/side story menu really this barebones? It gives you basically no informaiton just like the 1st, but I had heard they'd improved things in the sequel.

Well I finally finished Osvald's grueling trials through prison, and he gets rewarded with meeting Temenos as the first mainland human being he's seen in years. The poor, poor man.

I started the game with Ochette, then got Hikari, Casti, and Agnea. It seems like a pretty good team, if I don't mind not having magic. Gets you most all of the overworld actions too. I've got everyone but Osvald now though, rotating in once in a while.

Once you get your second beast with Ochette, and get some skills set up, it's pretty easy to just blast through the game. I've got it set up so that Ochette has 4 BP on her first turn, which lets you pretty well destroy your random mooks on that turn. Makes grinding up new guys really easy at least.

I started the game with Ochette, then got Hikari, Casti, and Agnea. It seems like a pretty good team, if I don't mind not having magic. Gets you most all of the overworld actions too. I've got everyone but Osvald now though, rotating in once in a while.

Once you get your second beast with Ochette, and get some skills set up, it's pretty easy to just blast through the game. I've got it set up so that Ochette has 4 BP on her first turn, which lets you pretty well destroy your random mooks on that turn. Makes grinding up new guys really easy at least.
Octopath 2 is a much more rounded party than the first game. In that Ochette’s infinite uses of the beasts really lets you always have multi-attack stuff on hand to crash through shields, and the latent power lets Castii cast super-strong recovery effects on a regular basis in a way the first game’s apothecary just couldn’t. On top of that, being able to get multiple licenses for each job means way less juggling the party around every five minutes. They are both great rpgs but Octopath 2 is the very definition of a sequel that really rounds out the original to me. Easily my favourite game of the year so far, and possibly even my favourite rpg on the system.

Back
Top Bottom