• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Super boss spoilers and question, I need advice lol.

How the hell did they go and make Galdera even harder than the first game. I even tried cheesing it with double merchants on hired help, but I can't even get through the first half of the fight.

What levels did people actually beat this at? I know Alrond makes grinding way quicker at least. I've got everyone between 70-85 and I'm thinking it's possibly not enough? Everyone's pretty well geared and I'm well aware level doesn't do that much, but feels like everyone needs every drop of HP they can get at bare minimum.
I honestly just couldn’t do it after a couple of hours of attempts, I just gave up. I appreciated that at least it wasn’t after half an hour of grinding without a save point though, and the main ending felt like a really good jumping off point for me.

I’m actually in the endgame of the first OT at the moment. Trying to get the Warmaster job and it’s a brutal, brutal fight, harder than anything else I’ve fought so far

One other thing I like when cleaning up sidequests at the end of both Octopath games- there’s lots of closure for helpful NPCs, neutral ones and occasionally minor villains too. It’s a nice sense that life goes on, that just because the travellers are on an epic journey, most people are happy to just find a roof over their head, friends, a partner or something to do that suits them.

I'm new to the Octopath series and still debating getting into them and I'm just wondering about how the 8 stories are structured. Is it like 8 mini RPGs in 1, or are they a bit like Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 where each character has their own motivation, but "coincidentally" all somehow end up in a central location with an overarching plot?

I'm new to the Octopath series and still debating getting into them and I'm just wondering about how the 8 stories are structured. Is it like 8 mini RPGs in 1, or are they a bit like Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 where each character has their own motivation, but "coincidentally" all somehow end up in a central location with an overarching plot?
It's neither really.

All 8 stories happen in the same world at the same time, it's up to you what order you follow.

At the end of both games there is a linked final plotline, but the first one treats it as an extended post game side quest. In Octopath 2 it's a proper finale.

You pick one of the Travellers as your main character. They can’t leave the party until their story is finished. As you meet the others, in Octopath 1, you’ll have the option to play their opening chapter, which conveniently has them meet the party just before they head into their first dungeon. In Octopath 2, their opening chapter has them meet the party after the conclusion of their first chapter. In either case, you can choose to skip it and play their intro later on by selecting it in a tavern.

Each Traveller has the next location of their story flagged up on the map, and you can do them in any order you wish, but as they all get incrementally harder it’s generally easier to chip away at at least a handful of characters stories at a time, using them to level up the party and get everyone ready for their next chapter. The later you recruit a character, they’ll level up fast by being carried by the stronger characters into tougher areas.

I wrote a long thread on the differences between Octopath and Octopath II after playing them back to back if anyone can be bothered to read it

https://famiboards.com/threads/enjoyed-octopath-traveller-2-so-much-that-i-played-through-ot1-immediately-afterwards-here’s-my-thoughts-on-the-series.6055/#post-642179

My team is now between levels 35 and 50 and I’m rounding up some optional dungeons to level up before taking on the level 45 recommended story chapters. Still enjoying this a lot although I don’t feel myself as compelled to pick the game up every day. I hope I can finish it before the next big release catches my attention!

Damn that last battle is no joke.

I think my team isn't sufficiently strong for it.

Late reply but I stopped playing the original after repeated failures at the last post-story battle over a period of weeks and I’ve been fully prepared to have to do the same here from the announcement. 😆

My team is now between levels 35 and 50 and I’m rounding up some optional dungeons to level up before taking on the level 45 recommended story chapters. Still enjoying this a lot although I don’t feel myself as compelled to pick the game up every day. I hope I can finish it before the next big release catches my attention!

Late reply but I stopped playing the original after repeated failures at the last post-story battle over a period of weeks and I’ve been fully prepared to have to do the same here from the announcement. 😆
I found the actual final story boss of Octopath 2 tough enough for me, but also rounded the story off in a really cool way. The post-game boss is still there (and is very tough) but I didn’t find it particularly necessary, and at least it isn’t a half hour grind to have another go at it. In Octopath 1, I felt like the postgame boss only really had me wanting to try it for the story connections that are given to you in OT2’s final chapter instead, which felt like OT2 had a much more elegant way to handle it. In that OT2 offers a conclusion, epilogue and a jumping-off point before the massive difficulty spike of a post-game boss fight that demands a lot more mastery of the combat system and is way longer than anything before it.

I found the actual final story boss of Octopath 2 tough enough for me, but also rounded the story off in a really cool way. The post-game boss is still there (and is very tough) but I didn’t find it particularly necessary, and at least it isn’t a half hour grind to have another go at it. In Octopath 1, I felt like the postgame boss only really had me wanting to try it for the story connections that are given to you in OT2’s final chapter instead, which felt like OT2 had a much more elegant way to handle it. In that OT2 offers a conclusion, epilogue and a jumping-off point before the massive difficulty spike of a post-game boss fight that demands a lot more mastery of the combat system and is way longer than anything before it.

Exciting - thanks for the insight! I’m sure I’ll give it a spin but with a readiness to close the book on the game without finishing it if it becomes too frustrating.

My rule of thumb with difficult post-story content in games in general is that if it becomes so frustrating to me that it stops being fun, I call it quits. As you can imagine, this happens more often in RPGs than many other genres 😂

Exciting - thanks for the insight! I’m sure I’ll give it a spin but with a readiness to close the book on the game without finishing it if it becomes too frustrating.

My rule of thumb with difficult post-story content in games in general is that if it becomes so frustrating to me that it stops being fun, I call it quits. As you can imagine, this happens more often in RPGs than many other genres 😂
Im the same, I rarely play post games if it’s a massive difficulty spike aimed at people who want to spend hours reworking the team and breaking down the mechanics. I get why there are there, it’s cool that the designers offer a final challenge to skilled players, but I do like a jumping off point that doesn’t lock the sense of a conclusion behind a huge difficulty spike.

Well, that took literally hours over multiple days.

The far reaches of hell, to be specific.

The moment an NPC brings that book up in octopath 3, I want the team to just kill them immediately.

Wait what??? Al is Alfred Hornberg??? As in the king that died at the start of Octopath 1 in Olberics story??? And then he just walks in to a magic beam of light and disappears after telling you? Did they just casually introduce time travel or is this actually a prequel (but then the technology level doesn't match up...) or ... Just wtf. You can't just drop that and not elaborate.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I will never achieve this and I have made my peace with it

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless you really want the challenge. I got the first phase down so well I could practically do it in my sleep, (basically spam the priests double turn buff and the thief divine skill, you can skip entire phases of the fight), but the second phase was a complete mess and was not a clean clear at all. I spent so many turns spamming jams and revival olives. I think I could have had a much easier time if I'd made Temenos have apothecary as a secondary job instead of sorcerer but I'm definitely not doing that a second time to see.

I'm 40+ hours in to the game and still think I got ways left.. all chapters 2 are done and I'm 3/4 on everything.

Just gotta ask.. Caits, are they much much more rare in this game than the first one? I've seen 1(!) in the entire game so far

I'm 40+ hours in to the game and still think I got ways left.. all chapters 2 are done and I'm 3/4 on everything.

Just gotta ask.. Caits, are they much much more rare in this game than the first one? I've seen 1(!) in the entire game so far

Whoa, i was about to write a post about these enemies, because i still haven't recruited all playable characters, nor did i start any Chapter 2 (outside of my first pick Osvald, which you gotta do directly) buuuuut have my current party level 25 already because i've found 3 or 4 of these enemies already.

I'm kinda ... overpowered right now.

I've not been having problems finding caits, like, at all. Tbh I was wondering if they were easier to find. I guess that's the beauty of RNG :p

I don't know about the appearance rate, but there are tools to make them appear more often this time around: an accessory and one of the Hunter job's passive skill.

Whoa, i was about to write a post about these enemies, because i still haven't recruited all playable characters, nor did i start any Chapter 2 (outside of my first pick Osvald, which you gotta do directly) buuuuut have my current party level 25 already because i've found 3 or 4 of these enemies already.

I'm kinda ... overpowered right now.

Oh yeah that feels really overpowered - you'll probabably steamroll chapters for a few characters ahead :>

I've not been having problems finding caits, like, at all. Tbh I was wondering if they were easier to find. I guess that's the beauty of RNG :p

That was me in the OG octopath, I was finding them everywhere hehe

I don't know about the appearance rate, but there are tools to make them appear more often this time around: an accessory and one of the Hunter job's passive skill.

Yep I have both of these.. to no luck. RNG cant be on my side at all :p

Just wanted everyone to know that I have finally managed to find and kill a cait.

Extremely funny part was, I found one, but it fled immediately and I cursed out loud.
Just to right after, like 5 seconds encounter another chubby Cait.

4900 exp for the entire wipe - woohoo

Just wanted everyone to know that I have finally managed to find and kill a cait.

Extremely funny part was, I found one, but it fled immediately and I cursed out loud.
Just to right after, like 5 seconds encounter another chubby Cait.

4900 exp for the entire wipe - woohoo
Just out of interest is there an easy way of killing them quickly, like the metal attacks in Dragon Quest? Whenever I saw one I just spammed multi-attack skills and hoped for the best!

Just out of interest is there an easy way of killing them quickly, like the metal attacks in Dragon Quest? Whenever I saw one I just spammed multi-attack skills and hoped for the best!
That's what I did - they seem to be far more vulnerable to magic attacks, since magic can't miss and they have incredibly high avoid. So any kind of multi-hit magic attack seemed like the way to go, unless there's an easier way I never figured out.

Tossing a soulstone with the first character that can act pretty much always kills them from my experience so far. No idea if their hp scales enough to survive one but even in level 40 areas it's still enough.

Edit: Oh Chubby Cait's do have more hp and I think the only consistent way to really kill them is with some Partitio Hired Help cheese? I've only managed to kill one through luck.

I wonder if I can finish this before TotK? I've completed all chapter 2s so far.
If you want to engage with the side content (which is common for most players, due to how the game is designed) it's going to be hard unless you play around 4 hours per day.

Finished after 190h. This is waaaay more than "more Octopath but better". It's a big leap from the first game and the best Team Asano game

Beat the game after about 50 hours ingame but closer to 70 real time, incredible experience, glad I picked it up after bouncing off OT1 back when that came out. Ending almost made me a little emotional because it really did feel like a journey.

Still have some postgame stuff left but I'll finish that up later after Zelda. Just gonna chill out and look at the boss spritework and listen to the soundtrack some more.

I just want to dump a couple thoughts in here, not really even expecting much of a response since it's Zelda day.

I am about 25 hours in. My main is Ochette! I love how this game lets you indulge your dark side. It's so goofy and great to charge up a couple times and then unleash Tera on the townspeople one by one with provoke.

Does anyone have any favorite monsters that they've captured with Ochette? I caught a Cultured Cait who provides a pretty great variety of buffs when called. I wonder what capturing an Octopuff would do.

Right now, my party is Ochette (Hunter/Inventor), Castii (Apothecary/Merchant), Temenos (Cleric/Scholar), and Throne (Thief/Hunter.) I also have Osvald, but he's sitting on the bench for now. I have been a little over leveled for what I've done so far in the Chapters and haven't been too worried about making my party as good as possible. I did the Unfinished Tunnel last night and that was right at my level - very fun little boss in there! I wonder if and when they finish that tunnel now.

Temenos's story is my favorite so far. I'm heading towards the interrogation.

I really hope an Octopath Traveler III happens one day.

So I know you're all playing Zelda right now, (it goes without saying that I am as well), but I've got some (now kind of old!) Octopath news for you magnificent travelers.

First thing's first: Dark Horse is publishing The Art of Octopath Traveler outside of Japan.
Containing art from OT 1 and OT:CotC (Part 1&2) the artbook is finally getting translated into English, which is fantastic stuff! Hopefully we'll also get Vol 2., which released in Japan today, sometime down the line.

Secondly: Solistia is coming to the mobile game (CotC) in June (I think?) in Japan. Check it out!
If the EN release doesn't die, and it hasn't so far, then the western player base will also get magically teleported to the land of Octopath 2 sometime in the future. And you know what that also entails? Yep, new Nishiki music. You can already take a sneak peak at a new track in the teaser trailer.

And lastly: The OST for OT:CotC, specifically the first volume, has been made available on streaming services! Here's a handy YouTube link.
So even if you don't care for mobile gacha shenanigans, which I kind of don't as well, (don't know if I'll ever get back to the game, though... probably. I'll probably cave), you can still check out some new, superb OCTOMUZIK.

I'm getting towards what I think are the final chapters of the eastern continent crew (a little behind on Throne tho), and it's very cool to see how the stories may be related for the endgame. Getting excited!

Zelda is in the books, back to this game now. Started a bunch of chapter 2s, but I still have one party member to get.

I can't find a thread for the series in general or the first game, so this will have to do. 5th anniversary livestream for OT1 happening in July:

I can't find a thread for the series in general or the first game, so this will have to do. 5th anniversary livestream for OT1 happening in July:

I won't get my hopes up, but this would be a nice time to say that Octopath Traveler 3 is in development.

I would love for them to go full Steampunk/Industrial Revolution for the next game and keep pushing further forward in time with each game until we get into some wild, future sci-fi shit where the gods and actions of past travellers are the main common threads.

I've been getting very close to the endgame. I only have Hikari's final chapter and a couple of Crossed Paths to go.

Ended up finally getting around to this game. I really enjoyed the first game, so not sure why it took so long. Well I guess I do know, but whatever. Bought it 2 weeks ago and I've been playing it a ton since.

Really is just an improvement over the first in pretty much every way, isn't it? I'm starting up the final chapters now and I've just been loving it. I completed Temenos's story and I'll probably do Hikari's next just to open up that part of the map. In between chapters I've just been trying to tackle everything else there's still left to do. I've completed a bunch of side quests and my hope is to try to clear them all. I'm trying to get through some of the higher level optional dungeons as well. The only downside to this is that I'm getting pretty overleveled lol. At this point everybody is over level 45. I think everyone except Agnea and Castti are at least 50, and my starting character (Throne) is at like 65 lol. I'll be honest, I realized I was getting way more levels in this game compared to the first game when my team was in the 30's, and then I realized I played the whole game up to that point with Life in the Shadows on, and also played most of the game at night, so woops. It's a little bit of a shame, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to want to do with everyone in postgame. The biggest question right now is trying to figure out what I want to do with Temenos and Osvard. Osvard was the king of killing encounters up through the midgame, but at this point I feel his damage falling off a bit compared to my physical DPS characters. Just seems to require a bit more setup, and the magical DPS setup feels a bit specialized compared to my physical characters (pretty much the other 6) who can all share in good damage buffs and debuffs. Right now my strongest party feels like something like Throne/Ochette/Hikari/Castti. Castti's latent power is crazy, sets up DPS buffs on herself and the other 3 as well as giving BP, then when the enemy boss is broken Throne uses her latent power to set up the defense debuff and they all just go to town. Not a very sophisticated strategy but it's pretty easy to pretty much kill bosses in a single break that way. Also helps that some of the skills that Hikari and Ochette can pick up are crazy good. At this point I'm just concerned about the inevitable postgame boss that's going to make me use all 8 characters lol.

I also have every nut I've picked up in the game that I'll need to use. I have a weird habit of hording these until endgame. I did the same thing in Octopath Traveler 1 and ended up pumping all my physical damage items into Ophilia so I could turn her into a Warmaster lol. Not sure where I'll be using these in this game, but it'll be a heck of a power spike I imagine. Could probably use some on Osvard now to get his damage up a bit now that I think about it.

So yeah, loving the game. Thank you everyone here who's been gushing about it elsewhere on the forum. It's a big reason I finally decided to get it lol.

I purchased the game physically with 50% off today! I have been waiting for a deal like this since the game launched.
I played Octopath Traveler for the first time around half a year ago and I really enjoyed that, so I'm cautiously optimistic in that I'm going to enjoy this one even more!

I purchased the game physically with 50% off today! I have been waiting for a deal like this since the game launched.
I played Octopath Traveler for the first time around half a year ago and I really enjoyed that, so I'm cautiously optimistic in that I'm going to enjoy this one even more!
No need to be cautious.

On my way to the endgame boss.

The plot twists in the endgame are wild.

Here's my 8 travelers going into the finale, everyone is between Level 75 and 60:

Party 1
Ochette - Hunter/Warrior
Partitio - Merchant/Conjurer
Osvald - Scholar/Arcanist
Castii - Apothecary/Cleric

Party 2
Hikari - Warrior/Armsmaster
Temenos - Cleric/Scholar
Agneas - Dancer/Hunter
Throne - Thief/Merchant

As far as battles go, Ochette, Temenos and Throne are my favorites, followed by Partitio, Hikari and Osvald. I feel like I haven't quite found awesome setups for Agneas or Castii, but they exist!

Beat the game yesterday. Loved it. Favorite game I've played in years.

But god I'm sad

Just had the saddest attempt at the superboss ever. First phase is so annoying lol. I was doing really well. Had Castti being OP doing apothecary things. Had Ochette being OP doing Chubby Cait things. Had Hikari sitting around for damage. Rounded out the team with Agnea. Was sorta coasting. Slow fight but whatever. Boss is red, got a few big hits on him. Probably going to die in a turn or 2.

He's broken and about to get 4 actions in a row next turn. Hikari uses his stuff. He survives. Starting to sweat. Ochette's turn is up. I have 6 Chubby Cait uses in a row I'm sure I can put up a wall that'll keep me alive through this.

Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Restorative
Opulent Olive

I lose. Fuck this lol.

Maybe I'll look up some setups and try again tomorrow.

Sorry if that have already been answered but compared to OT 1, how is the leveling / farming in this one ?

In OT 1 I used to do a character chapter and make sure that I had in the party the character I'll do next so it would level up enough, but at ont point it became extremely boring.

Beat the game yesterday. Loved it. Favorite game I've played in years.

But god I'm sad

Just had the saddest attempt at the superboss ever. First phase is so annoying lol. I was doing really well. Had Castti being OP doing apothecary things. Had Ochette being OP doing Chubby Cait things. Had Hikari sitting around for damage. Rounded out the team with Agnea. Was sorta coasting. Slow fight but whatever. Boss is red, got a few big hits on him. Probably going to die in a turn or 2.

He's broken and about to get 4 actions in a row next turn. Hikari uses his stuff. He survives. Starting to sweat. Ochette's turn is up. I have 6 Chubby Cait uses in a row I'm sure I can put up a wall that'll keep me alive through this.

Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Olive
Opulent Restorative
Opulent Olive

I lose. Fuck this lol.

Maybe I'll look up some setups and try again tomorrow.
Don't feel bad, I failed somewhere like between 30 to 50 times before winning.

I started on Octopath Traveler II three days ago and I've done a couple stories so far.

I didn't know how much I missed playing Octopath Traveler, instantly I'm back in the groove and having as much fun as I had in Octopath Traveler.
I'm really happy with the changes they made compared to the first one, for example the day/night system and being able to speed-up fights.
It also looks even better than the first one and the stories + voice acting seem better as well!

The only thing I'm worried about now is finishing the game too quickly...

I bought it recently after liking the demo and I must say that the demo (completed Throne's first chapter) left me with a better impression than the next two stories I got: Osvald and Temenos.

One problem is that I am not enjoying the field actions but at the same time I feel like I may be missing something of value if I don't try them... after the demo I thought they would go in new and interesting ways with these actions but somehow Osvald and Throne feel almost the same (equally uninteristing...)?

I don't know either if it's because the party of three I have now but the combat isn't clicking with me either. Does your party composition depend of the first character you started with or is it possible to go and recruit other characters like Ochette without progressing further in Throne's story? (I am starting her chapter three right now). I can see some places blocked by extremely high level enemies (I am level 15 and found some level 30 and 40 areas)

I will continue pushing forward for sure. I loved Triangle Strategy and wasn't a fan at all of the first Octopath Traveller (mostly because of the writing).

I don't know either if it's because the party of three I have now but the combat isn't clicking with me either. Does your party composition depend of the first character you started with or is it possible to go and recruit other characters like Ochette without progressing further in Throne's story? (I am starting her chapter three right now). I can see some places blocked by extremely high level enemies (I am level 15 and found some level 30 and 40 areas)

You can recruit all 8 as early or as late as you want. While some areas are gated off by higher levels, all of the starting areas are accessible. You can also just recruit the travelers and save their introductory chapter for later if you want.

I'm not sure exactly what will help with making combat exciting for you, but keep an eye out for shrines nearby the travelers' starting areas that will allow their jobs to be equipped as secondary jobs for other travelers. And remember to use JP to learn more skills!

Back
Top Bottom