• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 163 78.0%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Depends how the FMV works, but I don't see it as impossible to compress honestly. Just think of this: the expected biggest ROM on any NSO service would be 64 MB for N64. N64 and GBA games are compressed currently.
oooh baby lets GO get those CD games on there nintendo/Sega/Konami

you know why theyโ€™re called CDs? because I wanna see deez games get NSO releases

Just to add more: if they add DS games, it's gonna get even bigger than 64 MB at a time so they should eventually figure something out if they care.

I have all my cd based games as compressed as possible for whatever format I play them on (emulator, ode, etc). Even when compressed cd based games are usually waaaay bigger.

I would think the easiest solution for NSO for disc based systems would to change the app structure to something like what Capcom does with their arcade collections. All the games "show up" when you open the app, but the app by default only downloads the ui and box art for the available games. Then the player manually clicks to download each game inside the app.

Not sure if you guys are aware, but worth noting that NSO apps are hoisted on the eShop the Monday of any given week they're being shadow dropped.
(I'm not sure if this is the case for N64 and GBA trailers, as those aren't shadow dropped- haven't paid close enough attention, I'll figure it out eventually)

Not sure if you guys are aware, but worth noting that NSO apps are hoisted on the eShop the Monday of any given week they're being shadow dropped.
(I'm not sure if this is the case for N64 and GBA trailers, as those aren't shadow dropped- haven't paid close enough attention, I'll figure it out eventually)
I was... never aware of that somehow. What do you exactly mean by hoisted?

Quoted by: tee
Nope, just "bug fixes".

You sure you're not confusing with the japanese My Nintendo app which is the cooler app?
Honestly I probably am ๐Ÿ˜… Is that the one that lets you view your playtimes without having to activate the parental controls? All I recall is that Japan has some exclusive app for Nintendo that's way better than what's offered here in North America.

The listings reappear in a high position on the featured page after being absent for a given period of time

Huh, well I'll be. Never noticed that before either, but fingers crossed it comes with a substantial update before long

Dear Nintendo, please can we get Metroid: Zero Mission or Wario Land 4 this year or within my lifetime

Yours truly
Someone who hasn't played them yet but wants to

Honestly I probably am ๐Ÿ˜… Is that the one that lets you view your playtimes without having to activate the parental controls? All I recall is that Japan has some exclusive app for Nintendo that's way better than what's offered here in North America.
yep, My Nintendo app is the one you're thinking of

Are they there now?!

I checked earlier and they weren't. I don't know if they were there on Monday, but I assume not. The linked Tweet is from June.
The linked tweet is from the week Nintendo last dropped NSO titles for NES, SNES and GB. So they're not suggesting a drop is imminent, just that the NSO apps would appear on the eShop front page the week a drop is happening.

The last time no NSO updates in any capacity happened was the sept 2021 month, iirc: due to the N64 announcement. This would be an odd month to skip tbf, butโ€ฆ I honestly canโ€™t say Iโ€™m starving for games either? The GB/GBA stuff we got lately are lengthy, very fun times and FE6 will take me a while to play through so iโ€™m in no need of more stuff.

Heck, maybe the two GBA games last month for Japan is considered a July tradeoff for expansion passโ€ฆ

The last time no NSO updates in any capacity happened was the sept 2021 month, iirc: due to the N64 announcement. This would be an odd month to skip tbf, butโ€ฆ I honestly canโ€™t say Iโ€™m starving for games either? The GB/GBA stuff we got lately are lengthy, very fun times and FE6 will take me a while to play through so iโ€™m in no need of more stuff.

Heck, maybe the two GBA games last month for Japan is considered a July tradeoff for expansion passโ€ฆ

Actually, November 2021 had no update, but the N64 and Genesis apps went up at the end of October so we gave it a pass :)

But yea, it has been a while since Nintendo has skipped a month.

theyโ€™re getting ready to release the NSO Pro

are you ready for Mole Mania 4K?!

in all seriousness I will be devastated if Mole Mania doesnโ€™t make it

also would be really thrilled to get Pokรฉmon Pinball

in all seriousness I will be devastated if Mole Mania doesnโ€™t make it

also would be really thrilled to get Pokรฉmon Pinball
I wanna say Pokemon Pinballโ€™s a bit weird due to music licensing? Itโ€™s got a cover of the Japanese anime opening so I think that oneโ€™s a bit tough to do. I think they COULD but there are hoops to jump through

The listings reappear in a high position on the featured page after being absent for a given period of time

I could write a script that looks for this, I already have a bunch of stuff in place that parses the US eShop

So @tee if I understand correctly:

• the eShop backend gets updated with new NSO games to be shadowdropped
  • because of this, the relevant NSO apps get hoisted to the top of the featured page

So in other words we won't know exactly which games, we'll just know which apps are having games added?

If this is the case I could configure a script to watch for this that will alert us when this happens

tfw hoisting
Petard_render.png

Seeing the discussion from yesterday on the possibility of sega cd makes me wonder if 32x could be on the cards too. We could get the first ever re-release of Knuckles' Chaotix

Seeing the discussion from yesterday on the possibility of sega cd makes me wonder if 32x could be on the cards too. We could get the first ever re-release of Knuckles' Chaotix

If we get 32x games, I assume that they will just be added to the Genesis apps. There were only 40 games released for the system, and nearly half of them are licensed games. I doubt we would see more than a few of them.

That being said, I'd love to play Knuckles' Chaotix finally!

Fun fact:
In 2022, up to end of July, NSO had only 12 updates (+1 small update).
This year in 2023, it's 10 updates (+2 small updates such as bugfixes).
Make what you will of this information.

Volume isn't much different in terms of games. We have gotten more content this year, but that does include two system launches.

NES- 5
SNES- 7 (plus 6 SP modes)
N64- 7
Genesis- 10

Total-29 games + 6 SP modes

NES- 2
SNES- 1
N64- 2
Genesis- 8
GB- 16 (includes the launch w/ 9 games)
GBA- 11 (includes the launch w/ 6 games)

Total- 40 (includes launches of GB/GBA w/ 15 games)

If we get 32x games, I assume that they will just be added to the Genesis apps. There were only 40 games released for the system, and nearly half of them are licensed games. I doubt we would see more than a few of them.

That being said, I'd love to play Knuckles' Chaotix finally!

Volume isn't much different in terms of games. We have gotten more content this year, but that does include two system launches.

NES- 5
SNES- 7 (plus 6 SP modes)
N64- 7
Genesis- 10

Total-29 games + 6 SP modes

NES- 2
SNES- 1
N64- 2
Genesis- 8
GB- 16 (includes the launch w/ 9 games)
GBA- 11 (includes the launch w/ 6 games)

Total- 40 (includes launches of GB/GBA w/ 15 games)
The fact that Knuckles Chaotix still hasn't been ported or remastered after all this time is mind blowing. Sure it's not a particularly great game, but I can't imagine a world where even a $5-10 straight emulated port wouldn't do well for Sega. The game almost has a mythical status amongst Sonic fans for who elusive it's continued to be.

Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Golden Sun is "coming soon" to NSO, which is great. Absolutely loved that game on GBA (still have my copy, plus The Lost Age to this day). My question though is, what does Nintendo plan to do regarding the transfer system? I would imagine The Lost Age will eventually make its way onto NSO, but does Nintendo have a solution regarding the transfer from the first game to the second?

I missed my opportunity to purchase TLA on the Wii U eShop before the closure, so I'm not sure how it was even handled on the Wii U.

In a perfect world, I don't know why Nintendo won't just combine the two games into one, and get rid of the incredibly antiquated password transfer system entirely.

Golden Sun is "coming soon" to NSO, which is great. Absolutely loved that game on GBA (still have my copy, plus The Lost Age to this day). My question though is, what does Nintendo plan to do regarding the transfer system? I would imagine The Lost Age will eventually make its way onto NSO, but does Nintendo have a solution regarding the transfer from the first game to the second?

I missed my opportunity to purchase TLA on the Wii U eShop before the closure, so I'm not sure how it was even handled on the Wii U.

In a perfect world, I don't know why Nintendo won't just combine the two games into one, and get rid of the incredibly antiquated password transfer system entirely.
There was a leak of the test emulator on the net a year or so ago and with recent updates a GUI exists for connecting two games on the same Switch account.

You punch in that full content passcode like the giga chad gamer you are!

On the Wii U you had to do the password system, but for NSO they actually do have a way to connect/transfer stuff between different games.

FE6 and FE7 are the only ones to actually use it right now, but no reason Nintendo can't get other games to work.

A random and sort of off-topic question - has anyone else experienced a hitch in the NSO version of Ocarina of Time right as the title begins appearing on the title screen? I noticed this right away on my old launch model Switch, but just chocked it up to an emulation issue. I upgraded to the OLED a couple months ago, though, and I noticed the hitch was gone when I launched OoT on it; so I then assumed maybe the issue was specific to older Switch models. But since then the hitch has appeared on my OLED, as well, and my troubleshooting has failed to resolve it.

Itโ€™s a minor issue, Iโ€™m just baffled about whatโ€™s introducing it. And I do worry that whatever is causing it may also be causing other subtle performance issues, though I canโ€™t say that Iโ€™ve really noticed any.

Literally the most infuriating thing I pay for at this point. Like not only can they not even bother to release N64 games like at all anymore, but the fact that the GBA also didn't have any content this month just makes the Expansion Pack look so fucking terrible. There's not even a remotely relevant "They're running out of the cheap and easy games" excuse for GBA, there's a pretty massive library there people are frothing at the mouth to play again. And the N64 "running out" is simply Nintendo refusing to pay up or work with third parties and rely on their own library again (Goldeneye and Banjo are big I get it, but that's it except for weird ass Winback). $50 a year definitely needs more value and access to stuff at this point. Throw more old DLC on the pass or SOMETHING.

Back
Top Bottom