• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 195 77.1%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 31 12.3%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Genesis updates are more infrequent than I would like but I would hope the updates are more substantial. I believe they tend to add 3 to 5 games per update to compensate for the irregular support.

Genesis updates are more infrequent than I would like but I would hope the updates are more substantial. I believe they tend to add 3 to 5 games per update to compensate for the irregular support.
I’m not confident they’re going to add more Genesis games ever again.

For the record, here are all the Genesis/MD drop dates and how long it was between drops:

October 25, 2021Start
December 16, 202151d
March 16, 202290d
April 21, 202235d
June 30, 202269d
September 15, 202275d
December 15, 202290d
April 18, 2023123d
June 27, 202369d
May 18, 2024 (today)321d

I doubt we'll see a roadmap this year since it looks to be the year of Rare when it comes to NSO in directs, which is fine since I doubt there would be any surprises in a roadmap anyway. Maybe F-Zero 99's next content/event will show up there too. Safe to assume a GBA game will be later this month.

Last edited:
I think they should do some big news in the June Direct for NSO especially if it's a slow year for big first party games. Outside of finally adding mainline Pokémon though I'm not sure what that could be.
I feel like it's about time for another platform this year - of which TurboGrafx/PC Engine feels like it has to be next now; given that it was on all 3 previous Virtual Console services. They could also look to add more DLC to the service, with Splatoon 3 Expansion Pass seeming like something that would be inevitable.

----
Here's an update to my timeline graphic:
1mtxNTO.png

Interestingly enough, the last two waves of GB/GBC titles are functionally the same in terms of number of titles as if they had just released the titles one at a time every month since Castlevania Legends was added - although only in Japan, as we'd be one game short in the western apps.

----
Onto my graphs, and I've got quite a few - here's the update to the "All NSO graph":
U33hkVT.png

The interesting thing about this one is GB/GBC pulling ahead of N64 launch aligned now. SNES/SFC is closing the gap with NES/FC now, and N64 still has nice growth. GBA is still the laggard of the bunch - even though eventually it will likely eclipse N64 with time just due to the sheer scale of the GBA library compared to N64, especially once they finally start getting third parties on board (Sonic Advance trilogy, Shining Force/Soul, Chu Chu Rocket, the Rare games).

Next, is that we're approaching an important milestone for SNES NSO (at least in PAL territories):
2387Qsv.png

Only 3 SNES titles on NSO away from overtaking Wii VC's SNES line-up at it's peak in Oceania, only two more for Europe. North American Wii VC is a bit of a further target - 10 more to go to beat the peak of Wii VC for that region. Given the resurgence in SNES titles coming to NSO (more fully new titles on NSO in the past three months than there were in the previous 20 months combined), it may not be too long until the PAL milestone is reached, and potentially even the NA one will be reached in the next year or so. Reaching the scale of Japan's SFC VC library (for both Wii and Wii U) is for the time being is entirely unattainable, without heavy support from Square, Konami and Capcom.

Further comparisons can be made with this graph - showing launch aligned the combined VC and NSO services:
BVeowKN.png

As you can see, NSO did actually start ahead of all three VCs, but fell behind all of them within it's first year - before briefly overtaking 3DS VC when SNES NSO was added. Since then it has lagged behind all the VC services - although this is understandable for a few reasons:
  • every VC service launched with multiple consoles. Wii VC launched with 5 platforms (NES/FC, SNES/SFC, N64, Genesis/MD and TurboGrafx/PCE), 3DS launched with "two" platforms (Game Boy and Game Boy Color), and Wii U launched properly with 2 platforms (NES/FC and SNES/SFC, although it had a soft launch with just a couple of NES titles in NA). In comparison, NSO launched with only 1 console, and wouldn't get its second one until a year later.
    • By the time (launch aligned) NSO+EP launched and pushed the service up to 4 consoles - Wii was on 9 (or 10 when combining all regions), 3DS was on 4 (5 in JP) with only SNES/SFC being yet to release and Wii U was on 6 (or 7 in Japan) plus digital Wii games that were sometimes considered under the VC umbrella.
    • Even now, NSO is only ahead of 3DS in terms of platforms (counting GB and GBC separately) - being tied with Wii U, and multiple behind Wii.
  • Virtual Console's method of distribution (purchasing individually rather than a subscription service) made VC far easier to sell to third parties as a quick way to leverage their older titles - as they'd get royalties on every single sale of their titles on VC. Thus it had far greater support from third parties - with Konami, Capcom and, of particular note, Square making heavy use of the services, something that cannot be said about NSO.
  • Related to the above, third parties are now far more willing to release compilations or remasters of their older titles themselves, and skip the middle man of Nintendo. The trio mentioned above have all done this with large swathes of their back catalogues, and this is likely why S-E in particular hasn't touched NSO at all.
  • Even with the parties that are involved, Nintendo has chosen a slower roll-out process due to foreseeing that this service will last far longer than any of the other services - crossing console generations in a way the others never did.
Despite all this, we are now approaching the point where Nintendo Switch Online's library (currently sitting at 273 titles) reaches the peak size of the combined libraries of 3DS Virtual Console (306). Likely within the year, NSO will finally pass 3DS definitively - and be setting its sights on eventually reaching Wii U VC (534 at EOS, 543 at peak).

I think NSO will eventually reach this target, although it will take probably another 4-5 years at best. I think the methods for reaching this are going to be the following:
  • Adding in the remaining feasible platforms from previous VCs - TurboGrafx/PC Engine, Master System/Mark III, Game Gear and Nintendo DS. Neo-Geo and Arcade titles are both covered by Hamster's Arcade Archives series already, and MSX will be covered by EGGCONSOLE (alongside other platforms like PC-8801, PC-9801, and likely eventually even FM-7, Sharp X1, X86000). Commodore 64 is a tricky one, and would require the legal quagmire around its trademarks to have been fully resolved - to avoid the situation Nintendo had where they had to pull the C64 selection off of Wii VC earlier than all their other Wii VC platforms.
    • Just the easier four platforms alone add a lot of potential growth avenues to the service - Sega has large libraries of first party MS/GG titles they could bring across, TG/PCE being one of the platforms would likely also vastly improve the offerings of Konami/Hudson Soft titles on the other consoles. Nintendo DS is likely to be saved for Switch 2, but provides a huge opportunity for growth, not just in general, but also in comparison to Wii U VC - as Wii U VC for NDS didn't have any third parties, and had a lot of first party exclusions too.
  • N64 NSO continuing to go boldly where no emulation service has gone before - being the only platform to have a better selection on NSO than on any VC. Depending on how deep they dig into N64, you could reach 50 or even 60 titles for this app.
  • GBA NSO - being the most lacklustre selection so far - has enormous potential for growth; Wii U VC had 114 titles on it, compared to the paltry 17 on NSO atm. Even discounting titles that are on Switch already (Battle Network, Ace Attorney) or titles from Square; there's still huge amounts of games that could be brought across.
  • Nintendo getting the trio mentioned before fully on board for NSO - Capcom and Konami have both dipped their toes in, while Square is fully absent. These three publishers easily have over a 100 titles between them not on NSO yet on the 6 pre-existing platforms. Bandai Namco also has several dozen titles they could add - and they've even been shown to be open to adding titles that are included in other collections on Switch.
  • Finally, the true wild card - brand new platforms for NSO that were never on VC:
    • The obvious thought is Gamecube, although this would definitely be saved for a later console due to power concerns and the sheer size of GCN titles - and only be brought once Nintendo feels the well of paid ports/remasters has run dry.
    • Wii and 3DS, for similar reasons to GCN, wouldn't happen for a long time, but are also possible.
    • Virtual Boy - while having a small library and being exceedingly niche - is another piece of Nintendo history that could eventually have an NSO app.
    • Saturn and Dreamcast are both tempting choices, if Sega continues to be on board with the project. They both have large hurdles in terms of getting their emulation to actually be good, and Dreamcast is also new enough that a lot of it's titles could also do well as ports/remasters.
    • Wonderswan could also be ripe for the picking, if Bamco are willing to play ball.
    • The real juggernaut pick-up, however, would be an arrangement with Atari - allowing the 2600, 5800, 7200, Lynx and Jaguar libraries to be explored.
    • There's also the meme-y pick of Nintendo and Microsoft deepening their partnership with original Xbox being added to NSO - which, while super unlikely, is probably still the most likely of any of the current extant "competitors" platforms coming over.

And finally, while the above graph shows that NSO by itself is a far cry from the scale of Wii VC - that isn't actually the entire picture. If we decided to also add in other parallel emulation services on each of Nintendo's platforms (this adds 3D Classics and the Ambassador Programme on 3DS; then Arcade Archives, Sega AGES and EGGCONSOLE on Switch) - we can see that Switch is actually very close to taking the crown:
aQQVLj5.png

As seen above, Switch is already ahead of where Wii finished (due to several waves of de-listings on Wii VC), but it is in fact - as of writing - only 1 title behind the Wii's peak (and way ahead if you counted collections, one off emulated ports, or S-Tribute which is set of titles I haven't yet added to my data). The next weekly Arcade Archives title will bring the two to a dead heat, and then by the middle of the week after next at the absolute latest (aka if no NSO updates or EGGCONSOLE titles release before the end of the month) - Switch will definitively have overtaken Wii.

Whew, that's a long post - but hopefully an enjoyable set of reads lol.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth: more people should! There’s some all time greats on that app!!
I know I grew up playing these games. I have been playing some this weekend just to get some playtime so they know someone is still interested in the app.

i've got, like, 190 hours on the app and about 3 or 4 games left before I've beaten them all

nintendo/sega/m2 are you just going to sit there and let me clear the whole catalog like this without even trying to release another game before i do

Please give us the Quintet games on NSO. The act raiser remake was a dud, so maybe square will be willing to release those since there will be no remakes coming at this point.

Until the CEO of Quintet can be found, you ain't getting anything else. SE was cleared to reissue Actraiser 1 and only Actraiser 1 back during the Wii VC days and that's why it is the only quintet game they've put out and even remade. They can't reissue the other games because Quintet kept the copyright and the CEO has been unreachable for years now. (Yuzo and the Wonder Boy creator both lost contact and it seems he went off the grid completely by choice)

Also Soulblazer/Gaia require extra parties to sign off (A music composer and an artist respectively), and with Ninty having tried to reissue IOG on VC via the info we know from the gigaleak it seems like if Nintendo couldn't pull that off, nothing would. Terranigma would be easier due to no external factors, but again, Quintet CEO is missing.

Same for Robotek/Actraiser 2.

So mark those in the same bin as Uniracers imo; a huge legal mess that is very, very unlikely to ever be resolved. Such is the nature of how Enix's weird copyright choices work... (Devs owned their own IP)
Obviously this means Sega CD games (including the working designs games that didn’t make the Wester Genesis mini 2). Lunar and Popful Mail incoming! Plus an M only NSO app like Japan has for N64 but exclusively for Snatcher.

I really really want SCD games on NSO. if that's the cause for the delay for that Genesis app, I'd be excited to play Sonic CD, Shining Force CD and the other gems. Absolutely no shot Victor's crap will end up on NSO though, considering the ludicrous fees he tried charging Sega, and the fact they had no issue going through all the legal hell for Captain Tsubasa, but didn't even want to bother satisfying Vic's demands.

Knowing how that man is, I do not blame SEGA for rejecting his offers. I'd definitely hope for Snatcher/Panic and other third party stuff though.

I don’t think they’d, for example, put FF1-6 on there because they’d rather sell the Pixel Remasters, but anything lower priority like Mystic Quest or Secret of Evermore could get released on NSO! It’s basically free profit in exchange for zero effort and budget. That’s 100% rate of return! What investor would hate that?

Considering this is the same company that put out a bunch of games on N3DS/Wii U VCs, they all bombed (and they didn't even bother putting any of em out in the west), and any sort of reissue they've done on switch since have no doubt outsold anything they ever dropped on a VC service... I'd not be shocked if they'd even hold back low tier stuff like mystic quest, king's knight, or even hanjuku hero for some sort of fancier reissue ala the Collection of Saga. I'd be gobsmacked if SE ever dropped their retro games on NSO, in any way, shape or form. Maybe the Taito games since Taito is more independent? but idk. Don't get your hopes up basically. Mischief Makers I'd be more inclined to bet on seeing in a multiplat remaster than NSO.

I really hope SE/Taito do a lufia compilation.

SE games would be great, especially the classic Dragon Quests.

It's bonkers to see them holding back on these OG released when otherwise they're extra niche. These are old turn based RPGs with huge balancing problems and glitches galore. I can't see how these compete in any way with your updated rereleases outside of old farts like me. If anything they're good advertising for how much better the balance is.

Hopefully the Sonic Advance titles come to the service. With Shadow being in Sonic Movie 3, Sega should be trying to pander to a very specific era of Sonic fan as much as they can. Sega seems to be allergic to that time period. The Adventure games still don't have ports to modern consoles and they're adding a Shadow expansion to Sonic Generations which is cool but they should also be rereleasing the games from Shadow's era.

Hopefully the Sonic Advance titles come to the service. With Shadow being in Sonic Movie 3, Sega should be trying to pander to a very specific era of Sonic fan as much as they can. Sega seems to be allergic to that time period. The Adventure games still don't have ports to modern consoles and they're adding a Shadow expansion to Sonic Generations which is cool but they should also be rereleasing the games from Shadow's era.
but... Shadow isn't in any of the Sonic Advance games... unless you mean Sonic Battle?

but... Shadow isn't in any of the Sonic Advance games... unless you mean Sonic Battle?

I didn't say that Shadow was in Sonic Advance, did I?

"....Sega should be trying to pander to a very specific era of Sonic fan as much as they can". Adventure 2 and Advance came out the same year so they are concurrent with each other. They're from the same era.

"....Sega should be trying to pander to a very specific era of Sonic fan as much as they can". Adventure 2 and Advance came out the same year so they are concurrent with each other. They're from the same era.
Fair enough, I guess, but even then, I'd say the Advance games were more a way to give Genesis kids something while the 3D games were doing their own thing on consoles. Not sure if they pander that much the "Adventure era" other than the designs.

By the way, I love Sonic Advance 1, I truly do; for a time before Mania, I looked at it as the true successor to Sonic 3. -- I like Advance 3 well enough, but not as much as the first one, and loathe Advance 2. Dx

Quoted by: Tye
The advance games would be great additions to NSO. Actually, SEGA has an incredible GBA catalogue that needs to be tapped into. Gunstar Heroes, Chu Chu Rocket, Monkey Ball, etc.

Honestly considering Advance 3 does connect to Battle (in a minor way, admittedly) I could see Nintendo putting Battle up at the same time as the Advance trilogy if we ever start getting Sega's GBA games.

Probably not gonna happen cause of the dripfeed approach Nintendo's sticking with, though.

I'm just gonna put my (slightly updated) blurb from Twitter because I still think it's an interesting point to say
-
It's still nonsense how the NES controller isn't supported on GBC NSO like it would be on NES NSO where you could still basically press Capture and Home with SL and SR, same deal with SNES controller for GB and GBA NSO too. It would be a lot cooler.

But honestly I have some sort of secret hope that NSO gets a real makeover soon because of next gen
Like if there's one thing I noticed is how they constantly maintain the UI code, and around last year they consolidated all UI code to be common between all NSO apps rather than each being treated differently (with some exceptions) but I'm also like... they're not adding anything at all.

The only reason why I think about a makeover is just the fact there are real simple features to add like what I just mentioned which I feel like could be fairly easily adapted from other apps, and the last major change that I've seen was in June 2023.
During early 2023 up to June 2023, they decided to do a massive cleanup of the user interface code and adapted everything from the GB/GBA apps to all the other apps, clearly in an attempt to do better maintenance for each of them at once.

But on every update since then, every change on the files were always adapted to their equivalent files on every single NSO app update, the same changes for each. There's still some variances to adapt to the needs of each app, but from what I notice it's either refactoring or probably bugfixes in pretty much the past year.

It really just feels like it would be easy to add features, especially those that actually exist in other versions of the app like the EU library management to NES and SNES NSO. There's also how they hide features if they're unused, they're absolutely on the lookout for people like me looking through every file lol

But then there's how next gen is happening, and you could very well decide not to do any improvements for stability reasons because of a potential NSO makeover where they are (hopefully) doing some changes we've been asking for...

EDIT: also yes this is just copium on me

The advance games would be great additions to NSO. Actually, SEGA has an incredible GBA catalogue that needs to be tapped into. Gunstar Heroes, Chu Chu Rocket, Monkey Ball, etc.
Super Monkey Ball Jr would be worth it just for Monkey Mini Golf. Hopefully we get Advance Guardian Heroes too, always wondered what that game was like, though I guess that's technically not a Sega release.

Speaking of adding new features to the NSO apps, I really hope they eventually add the ability to delete suspend points. It’s kind of ridiculous that you can’t, considering the NES and SNES Classic Edition systems allowed you to do that.

Fair enough, I guess, but even then, I'd say the Advance games were more a way to give Genesis kids something while the 3D games were doing their own thing on consoles. Not sure if they pander that much the "Adventure era" other than the designs.
The Advance games are absolutely closely associated to the Adventure games to me—plus they literally connected to each other for the Chao Garden stuff! I also love the Advance games despite not caring much at all for the Genesis games and Mania (hell, I even prefer Sonic 4 over those), and they never really felt similar to the Genesis games to me beyond being 2D.

But yeah, I’m really hoping we get those plus Sonic Battle eventually…

AFAIK THQ's GBA exclusivity agreement with sega was made right off the heels of them having financial issues, and some speculate the reason they all skipped the english Wii U VC is because THQ's rights still hold to the western versions: thus they'd never be able come west without having to get clearance from the owner of THQ's assets first

which... would be weird if sonic advance 1-3 came out yet again, but only on the JP service. I hope they get that resolved some day, Atlus in particular had some good gems like the shining force remake...

AFAIK THQ's GBA exclusivity agreement with sega was made right off the heels of them having financial issues, and some speculate the reason they all skipped the english Wii U VC is because THQ's rights still hold to the western versions: thus they'd never be able come west without having to get clearance from the owner of THQ's assets first

which... would be weird if sonic advance 1-3 came out yet again, but only on the JP service. I hope they get that resolved some day, Atlus in particular had some good gems like the shining force remake...
The same can apply on why the Rare GBA games weren't on Rare Replay.

Yeah but they've already licensed thq games though. Alone in the dark is credited to them. So they should be able to work out the sega and rare gba stuff.

Yeah but they've already licensed thq games though. Alone in the dark is credited to them. So they should be able to work out the sega and rare gba stuff.
and, as I mentioned before (about the Mortal Kombat games), we have plenty of situations of publishing changing hands for a rerelease on Virtual Console and NSO, even if logo and copyright mentions still remains in the ROMs.

Though I'm skeptical on SEGA bringing their GBA games in general, especially the Sonic titles... seems like something they're holding off for some kind of multiplat (and overpriced) collection at some point...

and, as I mentioned before (about the Mortal Kombat games), we have plenty of situations of publishing changing hands for a rerelease on Virtual Console and NSO, even if logo and copyright mentions still remains in the ROMs.

Though I'm skeptical on SEGA bringing their GBA games in general, especially the Sonic titles... seems like something they're holding off for some kind of multiplat (and overpriced) collection at some point...
Tbh, with Sega, they only seem to care about doing collections of 2d games if they are Genesis games.

For the record, here are all the Genesis/MD drop dates and how long it was between drops:

October 25, 2021Start
December 16, 202151d
March 16, 202290d
April 21, 202235d
June 30, 202269d
September 15, 202275d
December 15, 202290d
April 18, 2023123d
June 27, 202369d
May 18, 2024 (today)321d
This is what I've been thinking, too. It's a shame; I didn't grow up with any Sega systems and have been introduced to some pretty cool titles through the app. I was looking forward to more.

It's still nonsense how the NES controller isn't supported on GBC NSO like it would be on NES NSO where you could still basically press Capture and Home with SL and SR, same deal with SNES controller for GB and GBA NSO too. It would be a lot cooler.

THIS. I mean, they still work (at least the SNES one does) but you need to keep a joycon close at least to bring out the home menu.

A less known alternative is using the N64 controller, it works perfectly on GBA at least, and it has a pretty good D-Pad. Though it doesn't feel as natural as a SNES or NES controller.

October 25, 2021Start
December 16, 202151d
March 16, 202290d
April 21, 202235d
June 30, 202269d
September 15, 202275d
December 15, 202290d
April 18, 2023123d
June 27, 202369d
May 18, 2024 (today)321d
Sad to think but this is where we're at. It's frustrating with the Genesis app in particular as M2 has a bunch of stuff (Virtua Racing, Sega CD games) primed and ready in M2Engage that could be a great little relaunch in itself. Nintendo could even release the 6-button pad in the west timed with it.

I also still really want a similar Konami/PCE deal to manifest but things are feeling grim in general for 3rd party stuff. Thpugh maybe we'll see that on Hamster's Console/Consumer Archives instead some day.

I mean if sega doesnt want to work with em, then nothing will get done. Ninty may be fine but sega may think differently.

It also doesnt help that in recent years they heavily retracted on licensing out their catalog to anybody, even Sega Toys.
Tbh, with Sega, they only seem to care about doing collections of 2d games if they are Genesis games.
Because they’re the only things that sell. It irks me that people didnt buy the more interesting Sega Ages games like Thunder Force AC, but no, it was Sonic, puyo and outrun again that stayed high on the eShop charts.

I’d love a SMS set, but every prior attempt sega did eats shit in sales. They seem to be able to only get away with it by hiding them in games that actually sell well (Yakuza)

THQ didn't own the Shining games, Atlus handled those but they still skipped Wii U VC in the west. I'm not sure THQ is really the roadblock people were assuming.

Didn't even realise GBA had a Shining Force remake and, naturally, it looks very expensive on the second-hand market. Funny that THQ also handled Rare's releases on the GBA, namely Banjo-Pilot, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge and It's Mr. Pants. Be interesting to see if those, and Rare's self-published GBC games (Perfect Dark and Conker's Pocket Tales) make it to NSO. Sega and Rare on GBA would be good additions.

Please give us Zero Mission soon. Please give us Zero Mission. Please give us Zero Mission...

Just finished Persona 5, so I'm filling time until TTYD comes out with NSO. Played Mario Land last night - not sure if I finished it as a kid? It only took like...30-40 minutes, but it was still fun. I think it moved up over Lost Levels for me, so it's no longer my least favorite Mario game. At least they tried something a bit different, you know? It's a bit wonky but it's still interesting.

If Nintendo stick to mid-month base tier updates, June 14th 2024 is the 30th anniversary of the original release of Donkey Kong '94. Please be aware.

Also I emailed NERD and politely asked for Super GameBoy features and GB Color filters for standard GB games, because what else should I do when I'm unemployed?

edit - I also asked for the Japanese GBC ports of the Donkey Kong Land games to be made available internationally, because I'm a risk-taker and a dreamer.

Until the CEO of Quintet can be found, you ain't getting anything else. SE was cleared to reissue Actraiser 1 and only Actraiser 1 back during the Wii VC days and that's why it is the only quintet game they've put out and even remade. They can't reissue the other games because Quintet kept the copyright and the CEO has been unreachable for years now. (Yuzo and the Wonder Boy creator both lost contact and it seems he went off the grid completely by choice)

Also Soulblazer/Gaia require extra parties to sign off (A music composer and an artist respectively), and with Ninty having tried to reissue IOG on VC via the info we know from the gigaleak it seems like if Nintendo couldn't pull that off, nothing would. Terranigma would be easier due to no external factors, but again, Quintet CEO is missing.

Same for Robotek/Actraiser 2.

So mark those in the same bin as Uniracers imo; a huge legal mess that is very, very unlikely to ever be resolved. Such is the nature of how Enix's weird copyright choices work... (Devs owned their own IP)

I really really want SCD games on NSO. if that's the cause for the delay for that Genesis app, I'd be excited to play Sonic CD, Shining Force CD and the other gems. Absolutely no shot Victor's crap will end up on NSO though, considering the ludicrous fees he tried charging Sega, and the fact they had no issue going through all the legal hell for Captain Tsubasa, but didn't even want to bother satisfying Vic's demands.

Knowing how that man is, I do not blame SEGA for rejecting his offers. I'd definitely hope for Snatcher/Panic and other third party stuff though.

Considering this is the same company that put out a bunch of games on N3DS/Wii U VCs, they all bombed (and they didn't even bother putting any of em out in the west), and any sort of reissue they've done on switch since have no doubt outsold anything they ever dropped on a VC service... I'd not be shocked if they'd even hold back low tier stuff like mystic quest, king's knight, or even hanjuku hero for some sort of fancier reissue ala the Collection of Saga. I'd be gobsmacked if SE ever dropped their retro games on NSO, in any way, shape or form. Maybe the Taito games since Taito is more independent? but idk. Don't get your hopes up basically. Mischief Makers I'd be more inclined to bet on seeing in a multiplat remaster than NSO.

I really hope SE/Taito do a lufia compilation.
Yeah. No way any of these games actually come out but I can have unreasonable hope still ;)

THQ didn't own the Shining games, Atlus handled those but they still skipped Wii U VC in the west. I'm not sure THQ is really the roadblock people were assuming.

EU had the shining games under THQ (at least the dark dragon game). That still counts AFAIK.

Didn't even realise GBA had a Shining Force remake and, naturally, it looks very expensive on the second-hand market. Funny that THQ also handled Rare's releases on the GBA, namely Banjo-Pilot, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge and It's Mr. Pants. Be interesting to see if those, and Rare's self-published GBC games (Perfect Dark and Conker's Pocket Tales) make it to NSO. Sega and Rare on GBA would be good additions.
Conker pocket tales was my second ever GBC game

I really want it on NSO

but I know it's not good

but I wont play BFD because I still have memories of going to walmart with grandma as a kid, and both of us being really annoyed/confused when she went with me to get "Conker 64" and it was a game with a big fat M rating on the box

needless to say 3 year old me did not get Conker 64 and i'm still kinda disgusted by the tonal shift

edit - I also asked for the Japanese GBC ports of the Donkey Kong Land games to be made available internationally, because I'm a risk-taker and a dreamer.
You say ports plural but there was only 1 GBC port of a Donkey Kong Land game, that of DKL3 known as Donkey Kong GB: Dinky Kong and Dixie Kong.

I doubt that would come to western NSO, but it would likely be the version on JP NSO - as the original GB version of Donkey Kong Land 3 never launched in Japan (despite us knowing it did exist based on a leaked prototype). So, just having both the western and japanese apps installed would come in handy for that.

In the hopes of summoning a Genesis update I've been playing Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, and Alien Soldier.

Probably nothing tonight. Maybe a trailer, but that's it. We usually don't get updates two weeks in a row looking at recent events.

Like Josh said it's probably next week with an expansion pack update. Most like GBA since N64 was last time. Personally hoping for Metroid.

I’m curious if third party will ever put their games on NSO, with icky’s wrecking balls, being on N64, I would like to see maybe Sega and Square port their lesser known titles in these subscriptions, like Sonic boost on GBA, would be extremely cool to see.

Also hopefully we’ll get a trailer today or next week about Metroid

This week would be great timing for a 20th anniversary release of Metroid Zero Mission.

Watch Nintendo do Famicom Mini range 20th anniversary additions instead.

Back
Top Bottom