• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 174 77.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
I'd also guess that Nintendo double up Stadium 2 and Party 3. Negative scenario is there's enough content here for them to ride it out, 1 game a month, until February and a roadmap in that Direct.

At this point, I am only expecting the four announced N64 games to come out the rest of this year. Anything else would be a welcomed surprise.

Puzzle League is made almost entirely of English anime content. All, at the time, 4Kids-produced stuff that I’m pretty sure then went entirely under TPC’s ownership once that relationship ended. I THINK (no quote me plz) the anime opening has some partial ownership between Nintendo, Creatures, and Game Freak, none of which are problems, but also TV Tokyo, ShoPro, and whoever Rica Matsumoto’s record label is (Columbia/Avex I think?)

Like it’s not the biggest hoop to jump through but there’s no way the record label is gonna let it slide without gettin‘ a li’l bit off the top and, especially with GB being in the base $20 a year tier, I can see Nintendo thinking ANY off-the-top payment to the label is just not worth it to them.

Japanese record labels do be like that. Thank JASRAC!
I see, didn't know the situation was different with the English and Japanese anime, I'm not much into that world. Thanks for telling, regardless the game will launch some day or not, it is a great information to know!

I'd also guess that Nintendo double up Stadium 2 and Party 3. Negative scenario is there's enough content here for them to ride it out, 1 game a month, until February and a roadmap in that Direct.
They could theoretically just do N64 for the rest of the year, and have a single month in between for one GBA and it would still work.

I think next year they'll start bringing out some big guns on NSO to hold over the Switch while the retail games go lighter in preperation for Switch 2.

I've been feeling that they've been holding out on Mainline Pokemon while they were preparing the big Backwards Compatibility update for Pokemon HOME. That probably opens a few really exciting possibilities now that it's out

They could theoretically just do N64 for the rest of the year, and have a single month in between for one GBA and it would still work.

I think next year they'll start bringing out some big guns on NSO to hold over the Switch while the retail games go lighter in preperation for Switch 2.

I've been feeling that they've been holding out on Mainline Pokemon while they were preparing the big Backwards Compatibility update for Pokemon HOME. That probably opens a few really exciting possibilities now that it's out

Home isn't going to have been the reason for Pokémon not showing up. If it was coming any time soon, they'd have waited on releasing Pokémon stadium until they and a way to make them cross compatible.

Pokemon Stadium 2 comes to the expansion pack today; Pokemon Trading Card game added to the base sub today too.

Finally got an N64 release, and it also means that, in terms of international releases, GB's February road map is now finished.

Edit - also means Nintendo could stick to 1 N64 game per month for the rest of the calendar year to finish out that set of announced titles, so long as Harvest Moon 64 gets an international release.

Last edited:
Pokemon Stadium 2 comes to the expansion pack today; Pokemon Trading Card game added to the base sub today too.

Finally got an N64 release, and it also means that, in terms of international releases, GB's February road map is now finished.

Edit - also means Nintendo could stick to 1 N64 game per month for the rest of the calendar year to finish out that set of announced titles, so long as Harvest Moon 64 gets an international release.

Uncharted waters for Game Boy releases now!

Inb4 we get a second 64 game this month

So here's our tallies.

GameBoy - 1 game for Japan left
GBA - 3 international games left
N64 - 3 international games and 2 games for Japan left

Hopefully they can get all of this out in 2023. Base tier is looking good but expansion pack has way too much left unless we get multiple N64/GBA games per month.

So here's our tallies.

Hopefully they can get all of this out in 2023. Base tier is looking good but expansion pack has way too much left unless we get multiple N64/GBA games per month.
I could see them announcing more N64/GBa games even if it’s not an exact roadmap but just the teaser vid again in Oct

So here's our tallies.

I think we get the three N64 games by the end of the year, but no more than that. Those games were announced for 2023 last year. Plans can change, but I think Nintendo pushes them out by the end of the year. Not sure what is the hold out for GB, but I'm sure that it will be out this year.

GBA seems to be going at a slower pace than its counterpart the GB/GBC Only three updates and one update was a slew of Mario Advance games in May. I want to believe that we will have all three by the end of the year, but Nintendo has yet to give us a GBA and N64 update in the same month. I feel like these games will bleed over into 2024.

I could see them announcing more N64/GBa games even if it’s not an exact roadmap but just the teaser vid again in Oct
Yup next direct or before year end we should have more games teased, since they like to teae them beforehand.

Nice to finally see Pokemon TCG added. Not that it's worth looking into much, but I don't think Pokemon Stadium 2 had the same notice that Pokemon Stadium 1 did about not having connectivity to the Pokemon Games, right?

I'm not sure if it's a gut feeling or just indigestion, but I almost wonder if they're saving RBYGSC for a November Pokemon Presents as they look back on the one year anniversary of Scarlet/Violet? Especially if The Teal Mask is coming out in September and Indigo Disk DLC is most likely set for December or January 2024

Given the announcement circumstances, I think Pokémon stadium 2 was last month's scheduled expansion pack game. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another N64 or GBA game later this month.

Nice to finally see Pokemon TCG added. Not that it's worth looking into much, but I don't think Pokemon Stadium 2 had the same notice that Pokemon Stadium 1 did about not having connectivity to the Pokemon Games, right?
Like Stadium 1, Stadium 2 has a disclaimer at the end of its in-app description that clarifies there's no connectivity with Game Boy games, though the wording differs very slightly between the two (Stadium 1 uses "cannot" where 2 uses "will not be able to"; also for some reason Game Boy only has a TM in Stadium 1's description)

Like Stadium 1, Stadium 2 has a disclaimer at the end of its in-app description that clarifies there's no connectivity with Game Boy games, though the wording differs very slightly between the two (Stadium 1 uses "cannot" where 2 uses "will not be able to"; also for some reason Game Boy only has a TM in Stadium 1's description)
Ahh, must have missed it, but thank you for the heads up. Not that I hold out hope either way, but I'm sure that if/when RBYGSC is added they'll reupload the Pokemon Stadium trailers saying "you can also connect to the Gameboy games!" just because they don't want to give it away now

Playing around with Stadium 2 and I just now learned it had the option for both Surround Sound and Dolby. I didnt even know the N64 could support surround sound in the first place! The Switch itself doesnt even support Dolby but does do Linear PCM 5.1

Anyone know how the NSO app outputs Surround?

I'm gonna play around with this

Playing around with Stadium 2 and I just now learned it had the option for both Surround Sound and Dolby. I didnt even know the N64 could support surround sound in the first place! The Switch itself doesnt even support Dolby but does do Linear PCM 5.1

Anyone know how the NSO app outputs Surround?

I'm gonna play around with this
I think it's Dobly Prologic, wich can create surround sound from a sterel Signal. Nintendo used that one up until the Wii.

It works surprisingly well. I don't know if it'll work through headphones without a signal decoding DAC

So do the trainers in the TCG start cheating the further you go in? Went for my 4th badge/medal and got paralysed off a coin flip 5 turns in a row 😅

So do the trainers in the TCG start cheating the further you go in? Went for my 4th badge/medal and got paralysed off a coin flip 5 turns in a row 😅
alot of video card games do, a good amount of early yu-gi-oh games are hard because the AI blatantly cheats

F3PyYFqa4AEz1jD

Well I eventually won... In the match after I unleashed all of my rage and pain from being paralysed onto this poor Victreebel

Last edited:
Finally playing Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade for the first time and it has really aged like fine wine in my eyes.

Pokemon TCG for gbc is fun. Wish they’d make a new one. Any idea why they stopped after the Japan-only sequel? Or is it like Snap where they’ll get around to it within a couple of decades or something? Also, hi, I’m new here.

Pokemon TCG for gbc is fun. Wish they’d make a new one. Any idea why they stopped after the Japan-only sequel? Or is it like Snap where they’ll get around to it within a couple of decades or something? Also, hi, I’m new here.
Game was developed by Hudsonsoft who got acquired by Konami who were in direct competition(Yugioh) and before that the director of the game got tied up in a 3 year long failed project. Then the card game collapsed in Japan for 2 decades

This Pokémon tcg keeps flipping to the same side even though I load the save over and over. I thought it would change if I reloaded the file, but it’s not.

This Pokémon tcg keeps flipping to the same side even though I load the save over and over. I thought it would change if I reloaded the file, but it’s not.
The coin is decided the moment the game decides it exists(battle is started or the ability is capable). Short of restarting the whole match there’s no way to spam it

To clarify, the moment a match is started the rng seed is set for all coin flips and other random actions. This does let you manipulate though by resetting/rewinding, so if you know the next coin flip is a tails, you can either play a card where the tails isn't an issue (eevee line) or let your opponent take the tails flip instead, ideally after you've hit them with confusion or sleep. You can also play the gb exclusive rng attacking cards, but I don't think they're worth it for the most part.

Fun fact: in the N64 Mario Party games, all dice rolls are also determined the moment a match begins.
That's just false. Mario Party 1 (and DS, btw) does define dice rolls for all 4 players at once every turn (no need to wait the result is always the same), but for Mario Party 2 & 3 they didn't do that and a frame of difference can change the dice roll as you wait until you hit it.

That's just false. Mario Party 1 (and DS, btw) does define dice rolls for all 4 players at once every turn (no need to wait the result is always the same), but for Mario Party 2 & 3 they didn't do that and a frame of difference can change the dice roll as you wait until you hit it.
Actually yeah, to corroborate this for some reason I was just reminded of a memory where I had rented Mario Party 3 from Blockbuster back in the day, and it was the final turn where I was playing against all CPU and I kept resetting the console so DK could roll a 4 or less so he didn't get the star and I could win the match 😂

You know what I still don't get, why Tetris Attack still isn't on the service when Nintendo has shown they'll edit title screens. Is it that much to change the title to say, "Yoshi Puzzle League" or "Yoshi Attack"?

You know what I still don't get, why Tetris Attack still isn't on the service when Nintendo has shown they'll edit title screens. Is it that much to change the title to say, "Yoshi Puzzle League" or "Yoshi Attack"?
in-game text and other in-game graphics also says "Tetris Attack" so they would have to also change these too

in-game text and other in-game graphics also says "Tetris Attack" so they would have to also change these too
Still I can't imagine it would be that much of an ask to edit out the few remaining references to Tetris. Though at the end of the day we have the Japanese Panel De Pon which is 99% the same anyway.

Still I can't imagine it would be that much of an ask to edit out the few remaining references to Tetris. Though at the end of the day we have the Japanese Panel De Pon which is 99% the same anyway.
For Nintendo, it is too much of an ask.
Also not 99% the same because the CPU actually works completely differently in Panel de Pon. One favors combos, the other favors chains, and I forgot which does which but I heard something like this before.
That said changes like this can require some changes either like editing the ROM for possibly compressed graphics and text, or you insert something that after the decompression is done then replaces the data or something (which is easier to manage imo but they don't seem to do this a lot).

Okay, I can't watch two hours of video, but does it back up what Leo said or is it different?
Absolutely not, Leo is completely wrong and I had watched the DKYG vid when I wrote this post:

It would be nice to just read the menus is all.

The dumb voice clips would be a cute bonus too.

Why would you say this. Where did you hear it

Yeah, sorry, I got it wrong. When MP1 came to NSO I was trying to save scum a dice roll and always got the same number, so I looked up how it worked and read in reddit somewhere that in the N64 games, the game generated a seed when the match started that determined a a series of subsequential dice rolls. That contradicts the DYKG and they're probably right, apparently the numbers are generated for everyone each turn. I edited my post.

Yeah, sorry, I got it wrong. When MP1 came to NSO I was trying to save scum a dice roll and always got the same number, so I looked up how it worked and read in reddit somewhere that in the N64 games, the game generated a seed when the match started that determined a a series of subsequential dice rolls. That contradicts the DYKG and they're probably right, apparently the numbers are generated for everyone each turn. I edited my post.
No prob thanks for the source on the info tho, either way that's p cool you kept getting the same number

Quoted by: Leo
No prob thanks for the source on the info tho, either way that's p cool you kept getting the same number

It's because I saved the state before my dice roll, according to DYKG it's decided before everyone's turn, so thats I believed what I read

Back
Top Bottom