• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo history site "Forest of Illusion" shutting down after 6 years; closing is due to the lack of time and energy needed to keep the site running

So at the risk of turning in my Nintendo fan card: I've never heard of this site before. What exactly did they post?

I've never heard of them either, but just checking them out on internet archive right now. Looks like I'm going to be downloading a lot of things today

On the one hand I'm saddened, and the other hand grateful they made the site in the first place.

Thanks Forest of Illusion!

Ngl I thought it was a takedown for a sec, glad it's on own terms. Still end of an era

This sucks ☹️

So at the risk of turning in my Nintendo fan card: I've never heard of this site before. What exactly did they post?
I think they tended to deal with some of the stuff that The Cutting Room Floor deals with? Like cut content, etc.

This sucks. They've contributed a lot to gaming preservation. I'm at least glad the closure had nothing to do with any of their releases (because that'd been trouble for gaming preservation as a whole otherwise). But damn. Hope their legacy carries on.

utterly devastating news, they were a valuable resource for prototype and development releases. and i think it'll be a while before another group is able to take their place.

some notable things they've released (since a shockingly large amount of people here are unaware of them.)
  • the full source code for Wipeout (1995)
  • a localization proto of Super Mario World
  • a tech demo of Quake, ported to the Game Boy Advance.
  • an N64 build of Dinosaur Planet, which was later retooled into Star Fox Adventures.
  • protos of various 3DS casual games intended for young children, that happen to feature full debug menus.
  • a decent chunk of the custom N64 roms designed for the "Lodgenet" hotel service.

Welp, this sucks... good to hear it wasn't copyright-related at least, but still sucks to lose a site like this. Game history and cut content is really fascinating and an important thing to preserve

What a shame, they've done amazing work over the years, and it's a shame that it's ending. Seeing Dinosaur Planet actually see the light of day (sort of) was nothing short of mind-blowing.

Big loss. The Quake GBA tech demo was where I first encountered them, and they were doing good, important work. Best of luck to them in whatever they all do next.

I remember the utter shock I had when they released Dinosaur Planet. I was just thinking about the game and how it would be pretty much impossible to experience the original story & characters... and a few days later, BAM !

utterly devastating news, they were a valuable resource for prototype and development releases. and i think it'll be a while before another group is able to take their place.

some notable things they've released (since a shockingly large amount of people here are unaware of them.)
  • the full source code for Wipeout (1995)
  • a localization proto of Super Mario World
  • a tech demo of Quake, ported to the Game Boy Advance.
  • an N64 build of Dinosaur Planet, which was later retooled into Star Fox Adventures.
  • protos of various 3DS casual games intended for young children, that happen to feature full debug menus.
  • a decent chunk of the custom N64 roms designed for the "Lodgenet" hotel service.

yeeeeah, something being proto or in development doesn't mean it has no rights attached to it. you can't preserve art that someone does not want preserved.

i'm against the idea that everything should even be preserved, especially in development stuff that was never supposed to see the light of day. the past is the past, and it's OK to let things be lost to time.

Back
Top Bottom