• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro Discovered GBA Quake port prototype by Randy Linden (SNES Doom developer)

Reinhard Schneider

Forgotten vampire hunter
Pronouns
He/Him

Believe it or not, a port of Quake was in the works for the GBA, albeit unofficial. The project comes from Randy Linden, the dev responsible for the SNES port of DOOM. If anyone is was going to be capable of squeezing Quake onto the GBA, it’s definitely going to be Linden.

Source: Gonintendo

As a fan of the so called impossible ports, this is pure hype, and completely crazy. Weapons are clearly sprites, but everything else is full textured polygons.

GBA is really the little console that could.

Incredible. I love these impossible ports.

There's more info on the Forest of Illusion website (https://forestillusion.com/). I hope they one day find the version with actual Quake assets, I'd love to see how that looks.

FPSs on GBA were prolific, all things considered (you'd think they'd have way fewer), and games with real-time 3D rendering backgrounds or anything at all too; And I love these games even if they end not being very good at all.

Quake on a system that's basically a handheld SNES could have been very impressive back then, I wish they had released;

Man I would have bought this in a heartbeat. I bought all those miracle FPS's for GBA: Duke Nukem, Ecks vs Sever, Nightfire, MoH Underground... All were truly magical.

Also John Carmack promised us Quake 3 Arena for DS back in the day but it never came out. Maybe it also has a prototype lying around somewhere?

That Tomb Raider port is still like, second to none for me. Closest we saw to not just a genuine big 3D game on it, but a PS1 downport to boot.

Such a shame that was never official. Legit masterful showpiece.

Yeah GBA was a 32-bit console with a blazing fast CPU, this port had it release would have been a marvel back then.
One more example of classic Nintendo actually significantly upgrading their devices.

That Tomb Raider port is still like, second to none for me. Closest we saw to not just a genuine big 3D game on it, but a PS1 downport to boot.
I'm with you, but there's an argument to be had about hot it's not a port of the game per se, but an insanely optimized port of OpenLara, wich is just the engine.

Kinda like how there is a port of prBoom that moves Doom on GBA with amazing fidelity, way better than the native versions.

Also, Quake is actually more heavy than Tomb Raider when it comes to its requirements, even the N64 version had some heavy cuts.

Back
Top Bottom