• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

The source code for Wipeout (1995) has been found and released online

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

(Yes, there was a PC port. This was during a transitional period where Psygnosis still functioned as a 3rd-party dev despite being owned by Sony.)

Before someone asks the obvious question of if a modern port could be made using this, someone actually created something similar a few years ago.

While normally a spiritual successor, it does support loading ships from both the original game and 2097 if you grab the necessary files off the disks.

Last edited:
It seems like the release had nothing to do with the original developers, meaning that It may have been stolen.

Remember that the Wipeout IP belongs to Sony, so they may take legal action agains anything using this code.

Current progress on compiling the source

Looks like some interesting work is being done here, though there is also a pre-compiled executable included.
One thing i completely forgot about is that the PC port of the game was initially only on DOS, not Windows. So the fact this is a native Windows build is unusual.
In terms of branches, "WIN95" appears to be a build solely designed for ATI Rage GPUs. While "Wipeout 98" was designed for the GPU agnostic Direct3d API.

Edit: I dug around, and it looks like the ATI Rage version did receive an extremely limited print run in a few bundles. I suspect mainly for the GPU itself. But the closest evidence i could find was it being included in a series of Japanese PCs manufactured by a company known as "Apricot".
ms540.gif

The Direct3D build is still completely new, it looks like.

It seems like the release had nothing to do with the original developers, meaning that It may have been stolen.
Not really "stolen" specifically, the more likely explanation is that Forest of Illusion acquired a HDD or disk containing the source from a former Psygnosis dev.

Last edited:
Not really "stolen" specifically, the more likely explanation is that Forest of Illusion acquired a HDD or disk containing the source from a former Psygnosis dev
In that case they should just explain. The way they avoided the question on Twitter doesn't makes them any favours

Back
Top Bottom