• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro The Story of Super Mario World | Gaming Historian

• Thread starter Deleted member 1108
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1108

The hottest and latest from Norman Caruso, an almost 80 minute video from one of the GOAT games.

My first every home console video game. A timeless classic.

Looking back, it's definitely one of the more quirky mainline Mario games, but it'll always be the seminal 2D Mario game for me. Excited to watch this.

This game is my childhood nemesis.

It seems so enigmatic.
I never had it, a friend of mine did, and for (seemingly) years, him and his siblings combed the game for all the secrets. There seemed to be an endless supply of secrets.
I borrowed it, and got stuck in the Forbidden Forest. The game was too mysterious.

I should probably try and conquer it on the NSO.
I mean I did boot it up, but died to the first bullet bill. Turns out I can't platform anymore. I blamed the joycons.

My first game. Ever. My friend and I spent HOURS on this. Good to see it’s still being talked about all these years later.

Surprised to see some of the leaked Gigaleak sprites show up in that video. I figured he'd just stick to Magazine scans.

Though it should be noted that some of those sprites actually resurfaced years prior, as the SNES Test Program used for servicing broken systems has a decent chunk left over.

Finally watched this a few days ago. Incredible documentary, Gaming Historian has done a fantastic and thorough job here. From the development of the game to its release in multiple parts of the world, no stone was left unturned here.

Makes me wonder what a future 2D Mario game could hold. I think to the world map in particular, how they could push that even further to have an even more adventurous game. Or focus on having one big "level" that branches off to different paths, with the ultimate goal being reaching Bowser. Not quite Metroidvania, but kinda like stringing the existing levels together and having them flow into each other. I think there's still a lot of potential to make a fresh experience.

My favourite part was the switch palaces and how they opened up new routes. They’re what makes SMW stand out for me. I love the visuals too.

Or focus on having one big "level" that branches off to different paths, with the ultimate goal being reaching Bowser. Not quite Metroidvania, but kinda like stringing the existing levels together and having them flow into each other. I think there's still a lot of potential to make a fresh experience.
I've been having the same thought. Honestly, the world map in 2D Mario breaks the flow. It's essentially a level select menu, but it's so slow :p . Like Bowser's Fury, I'd be stoked if we can just keep on platforming deliciously, and make the "path selection" part of the levels.

It would be quite the shakeup for 2D Mario, and I think it could be blissful.

In these times we were waiting so long for localizations, and even the hardware itself took ages to reach Europe.
Between the first pictures I saw of super famicom games and the time I finally booted up Mario world maybe 3 years had passed. The wait was insufferable lol. But it was worth it, during the first months I got Mario world, castlevania 4 and Zelda link to the past. I will never feel so much hype ever again lol.

Great video.

Already had a NES and remember being super hyped for the SNES and especially Super Mario World.

I went to Boots here in the UK and they had a display unit playable with F-Zero. I was disappointed it wasn’t SMW I seem to recall.

I must have ended up getting my SNES at Christmas 93 (aged 9) as a joint present with my brother. We got SMW, Mega Man X and FIFA International Soccer. SMW remains one of my top 10 games of all time to this very day.

I still find SMW magical, my favourite ever launch game. I was still finding secrets years later.

This game is my childhood nemesis.

It seems so enigmatic.
I never had it, a friend of mine did, and for (seemingly) years, him and his siblings combed the game for all the secrets. There seemed to be an endless supply of secrets.
I borrowed it, and got stuck in the Forbidden Forest. The game was too mysterious.

I should probably try and conquer it on the NSO.
I mean I did boot it up, but died to the first bullet bill. Turns out I can't platform anymore. I blamed the joycons.
I hear you, but my decline is age. In college, I could beat Ghouls & Ghosts on the Genesis at will, which required playing every level twice. Now I can't get past the second level the first time. 😐

he's made a sequel video (of sorts)

about a recently dumped localization prototype of the game. (predates final by about 10 months, and the original japanese version by a few weeks.)
this really deserves it's own thread, but.... :rolleyes:

Probably my favorite Mario game. Such a unique location, great atmosphere. I hope they return to Dino Island in a future game, or at least a location with similar themes.

Back
Top Bottom