• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched that Dungeons & Dragons film and... it was genuinely really good. The fact that there wasn't anything surprising about it was, in and of itself, a surprise. It was just a genuinely fun comedy-action romp and nothing much more.

Now to counter-act that enjoyable experience I'm going to go and watch a depressing film about inevitable death and the suffering inherent to the human experience.
Yeah my wife and I watched it a few weeks ago and had a great time, it's a shame it bombed, I would have liked to see a sequel of some kind.

Just watched that Dungeons & Dragons film and... it was genuinely really good. The fact that there wasn't anything surprising about it was, in and of itself, a surprise. It was just a genuinely fun comedy-action romp and nothing much more.
I thought this video was a pretty good and Dungeons & Dragons was one of the first movies I thought of that fit right into it.

There's been a lot of movies I've loved in this past year that surprised me by the last of surprise, lack of feeling like they got to M. Night Shyamalan the plot into something in order for their movie to be interesting or meaningful. Barbie movie is also I think a perfect example of a Metamodern movie and why it hit with audiences so well. Hope we get more like it.

Nice that we’re talking about Barbenheimer because I finally got to watch both movies. Both were great but honestly it was Barbie that really stuck in my mind.

It’s incredibly similar to The Lego Movie, being meta comedies based on a popular children’s toy that examine the sociocultural impact of said toy, that also delve into surprisingly deep topics like gender equality and finding your purpose in life.

Also when Barbie said she can’t be a fascist because she had no control over railways? Never would have expected that kind of joke from Barbie, of all places.

Again, don’t get me wrong, Oppenheimer was also great, superbly directed, unreal how authentic it looked at times. But it wasn’t the one that gut punched me, leaving me thoughts to simmer in.
I had the reverse experience as far as which one stuck with me, but definitely liked or loved both!

I had the reverse experience as far as which one stuck with me, but definitely liked or loved both!
I think it was really a matter of expectations. Oppenheimer was a relatively known quantity in my mind, so I didn’t get particularly surprised by any of the developments in the story. Meanwhile I wasn’t expecting how far down the rabbit hole Barbie would go.

Could be interesting to rewatch both movies a few years down the line, see if it changes my feelings any.

Never heard of it before, but looking at its Steam page... Damn, I think I wanna play this now. :'D
If you like Vampire Survivors, you’ll probably like Holocure. I’m not into the Vtuber scene at all but I dig the combinatorial craziness of HoloCure. If you can fashion a goddess of destruction, the game lets you! And the devs just keep adding more and more stuff to the game. Their FREE game.

I think it was really a matter of expectations. Oppenheimer was a relatively known quantity in my mind, so I didn’t get particularly surprised by any of the developments in the story. Meanwhile I wasn’t expecting how far down the rabbit hole Barbie would go.

Could be interesting to rewatch both movies a few years down the line, see if it changes my feelings any.
I think this is where I'm at, too. Oppenheimer was fantastic, and exactly what I expected. Barbie, however, defied my expectations as though they were the patriarchy.

If you like Vampire Survivors, you’ll probably like Holocure. I’m not into the Vtuber scene at all but I dig the combinatorial craziness of HoloCure. If you can fashion a goddess of destruction, the game lets you! And the devs just keep adding more and more stuff to the game. Their FREE game.

I think this is where I'm at, too. Oppenheimer was fantastic, and exactly what I expected. Barbie, however, defied my expectations as though they were the patriarchy.
I get that! For me, I never expected Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach to turn in a script for Barbie that was conventional, just knowing their past work.

They were horses?
Ya know what 🤣
I wanted to make that reference but I didn't know how to fit it in. Thanks. 😁

I get that! For me, I never expected Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach to turn in a script for Barbie that was conventional, just knowing their past work.
True. I expected something interesting for sure (especially after that first teaser trailer, geez), but I didn't expect a studio to let them go that far with the plot. I lost count of the number of times my jaw just dropped instead of laughing.

Will honestly be heated if Ryan Gosling doesn’t win best supporting actor
So this made me think "I wonder who else would be in the running though" so I googled and wouldn't ya know it

YUcOvnV.png

It's his or RDJ's to lose at this point, though I'm hearing fantastic things about De Niro in Killers of the Flower Moon.
Those are the top three in the articles I read, yep. I'm hoping KotFM gets a theatrical release near me, I feel like it's been a decade since I had some Scorsese goodness.

I'm sorry to spam the thread with some self-promotion (haven't done so in a while!) but I just posted a long ass Chrono Trigger medley I wrote to YouTube:

If you listen I hope you enjoy it! It was a ton of work to make.

I'm sorry to spam the thread with some self-promotion (haven't done so in a while!) but I just posted a long ass Chrono Trigger medley I wrote to YouTube:

If you listen I hope you enjoy it! It was a ton of work to make.

Finally had a chance to sit and listen, this is good stuff!! I like how it wasn't just a blend of the songs, but also different interpretations of the melodies. And some of the bridging sections that connected them were so original that when the best and melody eventually slid into the song it was supposed to be it was like a genuine surprise.

If that makes sense. 😅

I've been listening to this OST for nearly 30 years, so yeah sometimes just the beat or a part of a melody is enough for me to go "omg that song!!"

Great finisher, too ❤️🐸

I don’t think I’m aware of Gerwig’s filmography as a director, so that might explain why haha.

I just posted a long ass Chrono Trigger medley I wrote to YouTube
Oh baby I’m jamming to this while I eat my (late) lunch

I'm a little behind on films; finally picked up Everything Everywhere All At Once and Top Fun Maverick on DVD/Blu Ray today.
EEAAO was my favourite film of 2022 and Top Gun was right up there as well.

I've been called old fashioned for still buying movies physically, but I kinda like being able to watch them any time I want instead of worrying about them disappearing from whatever streaming service has them.

There's one film this year though that is my top priority...
GodzillaMinusOne_TeaserArt_Localized_Thumbnail_v2.jpg

While I really like judgment I don't think that the battle system really clicked with me, I think I'll much prefer what they did with Yakuza 7.

So I've been thinking for a while to get back into streaming, mostly due to TotK, and this weekend, I took some stabs. It's such a livestream-friendly game, where the emergent and multiplicative gameplay can make for some really fun moments to catch on stream, and I have more than once caught myself commenting in my head as I do stuff in the game.

4 years ago, I was a Twitch affiliate, and streamed in the IRL section, pulling in an average of 10-15 viewers per stream. But I can't overstate how awful it was, as the IRL section is notorious for its relentless toxicity and oh dear did I experience it firsthand. I started to pivot more towards games, but my viewers would of course march over there as well. It did tremendous damage to my mental health and self-esteem, and I decided to quit.

So yesterday, I booted TotK up, dusted off the equipment, renamed my channel, and just went for it. Nothing happened during any of the streams, (I guess my old viewers are gone - thank heavens) but I still had a sickening feeling in my stomach just existing on the platform. This didn't improve as I visited other channels streaming TotK and encountering some awful comments in chats.

Today, I went to my channel and tried out YouTube Live for the very first time, as I've heard that it's got better algorithms, better usage of tags, etc. Nothing happened this time as well, but I felt more free somehow, and could relax more, and had really fun for myself as my bizarre Zonai waterwheel transit actually worked.

So open question, is YouTube Live generally considered to be less toxic than Twitch?

So open question, is YouTube Live generally considered to be less toxic than Twitch?
I think in terms of communities, they can be both kinda toxic, but for different reasons : Twitch is a gaming platform, so you have plenty of young gamergate/incels/etc people ; whereas the YouTube community is older, so it's more like boomer comments, conspiracy theories etc.

But YouTube have a bit of an edge in your situation : finding a live on it is quite hard if you don't follow the channel already, so the chances for some ill-intentioned people to randomly find your stream is lower. Twitch has a bit more moderation tools, but if your plan is just to stream for your pleasure and you don't really care about the numbers of viewers, I think that YouTube might offer you a more relaxed experience.

Chelsea vs Liverpool.

Winner gets Caicedo lol
Don't remind me. Went to bed on Friday night thinking Caicedo was a Red, woke up with the mess that followed afterward. By far the weirdest transfer saga in recent history.

The USB C hub I’m getting for my desk apparently works with Switch. I wonder if I should get a capture card or something and try streaming. I’ve never done it before and wouldn’t really know how to start though.

Ugh not that I wanna use my limited gaming budget on it but picross really helps me chill in the evenings so I should grab one while it’s on sale. Got Sega, overlord, and S1-6 all done other than the extra puzzles. So I guess S7 it is

The USB C hub I’m getting for my desk apparently works with Switch. I wonder if I should get a capture card or something and try streaming. I’ve never done it before and wouldn’t really know how to start though.
Maybe dabble with OBS and get a stream deck?

Last edited:
One of my favorite parts about getting into Pikmin the past 2 months is getting to learn how absolutely insane and hilarious the Pikmin fan community is. I think the years of content droughts (and slightly younger skew, since the series started on the Gamecube) has shaped a really fun absurdist humor in that community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom