• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Nobody noticed this? He also has a tweet from February 8 where he advanced that there would be more Mario Kart DLC (and he was right).

8d1c6836328f6da92fa6bf37ab4a0176.png

@Irene On this last day of June, wanted to make sure to say thanks for making a great thread and being a good steward of it. Sorry you got usurped a little by the direct thread, but you provided us a great space to tell about stuff outside of that hype. Excited for @Plum new thread later today.

Do we have August OP decided yet?

What? Nobody noticed this? He also has a tweet from February 8 where he advanced that there would be more Mario Kart DLC (and he was right).

The thing is that all these were rumored/leaked before they posted this so Idk. We will see with Bayo 3 if they really know things or are just posting known leaks/rumors

Not to bring up that GameSpot article again, but I do love the concern trolling over backwards compatibility. "Sure, the Switch's successor will have BC, but what about after that?".

My democracy is failing and our world is burning. I'm assuming video games as a whole won't last that long. Or if they do the only video games allowed in America will be about Jesus and Call of Duty.

It would be an absolute dream to one day make enough money so I could
  • own a home
  • buy a car
  • pressure Nintendo into answering my questions
That asking questions hits hard. Imagine that one day I would not justy only see Miyamoto in person but I would also be able to ask him what's the deal with Pikmin 4.

Doom, Crysis, Bioshock

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, The world ends with you

Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, 13 Sentinels

Skyrim, Witcher, Hogwarts Legacy

Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Assassin's Creed

Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, MegaMan

X- Com, Divinity, Civilisation

Ori, Cuphead, Hollow Knight

GTA, Saints Row, Mortal Combat...

Switch really has quite some third party names, huh?

Doom, Crysis, Bioshock

Seriously. I'm much more happy with it as a third party machine then I've ever been with a console. Moreso than first party too.

Not to bring up that GameSpot article again, but I do love the concern trolling over backwards compatibility. "Sure, the Switch's successor will have BC, but what about after that?".

My democracy is failing and our world is burning. I'm assuming video games as a whole won't last that long. Or if they do the only video games allowed in America will be about Jesus and Call of Duty.
Funny how these "concerns" only ever seem to apply to Nintendo. Meanwhile, PS3...

Funny how these "concerns" only ever seem to apply to Nintendo. Meanwhile, PS3...

I don’t think Sony or Nintendo will drop the ball with BC again. Things have changed. If the PS6 comes out and can’t play PS5 games it’ll be nasty. Same with the Switch and Switch 2.

Isn't it easy to draft a tweet and post it after the fact, keeping the initial draft date? Not try to start shit but yea...

Folks ignore the context behind the Wii U / 3DS -> Switch transition and consider it an indicator that Nintendo has never done BC whatsoever. I've read "BC? Lol no it's Nintendo" too many times to count, and it's made no sense when you consider the GC/Wii/WiiU, GB/GBA, GBA/DS, DS/3DS lines. I would say that I wish VC purchases carried over as NSO downloadable titles or something, and that you could purchase individual games from NSO. But that's a different topic from native BC between generations.

Still - I'm certain the next Switch will be a cartridge-based hybrid console, Nintendo has said outright that they intend to preserve their account system and the services attached to that, and I'm also confident they want to continue selling their evergreen titles at full price years later.

Isn't it easy to draft a tweet and post it after the fact, keeping the initial draft date? Not try to start shit but yea...
Supposedly around then people noticed that they did not have any other tweets up.

I personally remember seeing this one around the 25th, may have been a day or two afterwards.

Girl gave me a flirty smile. Oh yeah. She's totally down to F-zero.
She puts her drink down, she gives you that knowing look. Your left eyebrow, completely outside of your own control, jumps upwards, letting her know her message was received loud and clear. She gets up from her table, without breaking eye contact, and struts across the floor in your direction. You finish your drink in one quick motion, not allowing the relatively expensive cocktail to linger in your mouth for any longer than it needs to. There was no time to enjoy the flavour, as more pressing matters have emerged.

She wordlessly grabs your hand, and gives your arm a tug. You haven’t even noticed that you’re now standing up. She pulls you towards the dance floor, just as the DJ transitions from one song to another. As if by magic, it’s your jam. Her facial expression lets you know, it’s hers too. Your arms, acting entirely of their own volition, are on her. Beads of sweat roll down your neck. You dance for hours, or seconds, you’re not entirely sure, as one song becomes another and time has lost all meaning. You don’t even know her name, as all the talking has so far been done with facial expressions and hand placements. The club starts clearing, the bar announces last call. Your cheeks hurt from smiling. This has been the best night of your life. She stares into your eyes. You‘re staring into hers. You’ve never been a religious person, but in this very moment you feel the desperate urge to thank a higher power for everything that has happened this evening. She pulls you in. You get close. She pulls you in even closer. Her lips, gently grazing your ear. Your breath intensifies. She whispers that one sentence you’ve been waiting for all night. She whispers:

Last edited:
Folks ignore the context behind the Wii U / 3DS -> Switch transition and consider it an indicator that Nintendo has never done BC whatsoever. I've read "BC? Lol no it's Nintendo" too many times to count, and it's made no sense when you consider the GC/Wii/WiiU, GB/GBA, GBA/DS, DS/3DS lines. I would say that I wish VC purchases carried over as NSO downloadable titles or something, and that you could purchase individual games from NSO. But that's a different topic from native BC between generations.

Still - I'm certain the next Switch will be a cartridge-based hybrid console, Nintendo has said outright that they intend to preserve their account system and the services attached to that, and I'm also confident they want to continue selling their evergreen titles at full price years later.

Nintendo's VC/NSO offerings is garbo, full-stop. They've got arguably the greatest back catalogue of games in history and they don't know what to do with them.

But I'm 100% sure that NSO and digital purchases will carry over to the next system and beyond. Again, you can't just make a clean break anymore. It would be devastating. And I know some people will say that Nintendo is going to want to sell "Breath of the Wild Deluxe Edition" or whatever for Switch 2 but Nintendo won't have to work that hard. If the thing is as strong as people suggest it's going to be FLOODED with PS4/X1 ports.

Nintendo's VC/NSO offerings is garbo, full-stop. They've got arguably the greatest back catalogue of games in history and they don't know what to do with them.
They know exactly what to do with them: offer them as a part of a subscription service. Genuinely do not understand this.

They know exactly what to do with them: offer them as a part of a subscription service. Genuinely do not understand this.

A subscription service is a great idea in theory, but Nintendo's gotta be Nintendo about it and drip-feed them. And it would be nice to see them fork out some money to get third-parties on board.

As June is winding down to a close, I just want to say that it's been a ton of fun having this thread, and participating in it, over this month. On the game side of things, June might not have turned out the way it did, with the absence of a general Direct and a Partner to take its place as late as last week, but we still got lots of fun memories, hype, and lots of other things. We still got awesome games to talk about, as well as life happenings and all that comes with it.

9 months on, I'm still having fun on this board. Y'all are awesome!

Personally I am 99% sure that BC will not be an issue going forward for Nintendo. I understand that there are those rare, one-offs that don't work for whatever reason but I expect 99.9% of the current Switch software to work on the next Nintendo system. I am super excited with how the NSO is set up so that ideally we won't start the next system with the same 30 NES games and then the slow drip feed.

All that being said, this is Nintendo so there is always that small chance they do something really stupid. I love them, but you can't rule it out.

As June is winding down to a close, I just want to say that it's been a ton of fun having this thread, and participating in it, over this month. On the game side of things, June might not have turned out the way it did, with the absence of a general Direct and a Partner to take its place as late as last week, but we still got lots of fun memories, hype, and lots of other things. We still got awesome games to talk about, as well as life happenings and all that comes with it.

Thanks for being a great OP Irene! This was a fun thread and I can hardly believe June is over already. We'll see what July brings.

You know which thread or threads I’m looking forward to? “Games getting patched for Switch Pro/2/4K support”

A subscription service is a great idea in theory, but Nintendo's gotta be Nintendo about it and drip-feed them. And it would be nice to see them fork out some money to get third-parties on board.
By dripfeeding the games out, they get semi-regular headlines about their subscription, reminding people that the service exists. If they had dumped them all at once, you’d have gotten headlines for a month and then the service would have been forgotten by everyone other than the hardcore enthusiast. That’s not “being Nintendo about it” that’s being marketing-savvy. Whether the headlines are good or not is besides the point. Press is press.

As for your second point: The NSO sub is $20 US Dollars a year. If you were, say, Capcom, what would you rather: get an infinitesimal cut of that $20 dollars to let Switch owners play every Mega Man game on NES, or fund some emulation efforts to put these games out in Legacy Collections for every console and charge the price of whatever those Legacy Collections sell for and get a way thicker profit? Clearly the latter, as they are pretty rapidly cranking out Mega Man Legacy Collections, with Battle Network just having been announced mere days ago to pretty universal applause. So if you’re Nintendo, are you really going to try to financially compete with “selling a Legacy Collection and getting 70% of the profit” with “come be on our $20 a year subscription service?” Makes next to no business sense for any company with a classic IP worth ANYTHING to be on there, which is why most of the games being added to NSO are things like “Jelly Boy” and whatever. Even Square Enix, who can’t even sell Super Mario RPG without Nintendo’s go-ahead, refuses to put that game on NSO even though I’m pretty sure the work required for that would be “get a lawyer to read and then sign a contract” because whatever Nintendo COULD pay them for it clearly is not enough to get them care at all. And that’s a MARIO game.

Also let’s consider this: We’ve been made aware (I believe this was from Emily Rogers?) that the reason NSO’s Expansion is so much more is because that’s how much they needed to charge to get Sega to care. It is, unsurprisingly, always about money.

Now let’s discuss the counter argument: For $20 a year??? Less than 2 dollars a month? You are getting a huge collection of absolutely classic games. For $20 you’re getting almost every first party NES/SNES game that matters. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Earthbound, all of it. Even without doing the small amount of effort required to download the Japanese apps, they’ve gone out of their way to let us play some otherwise inaccessible bangers like Panel De Pon and Mario’s Super Picross. If it’s a First Party NES/SNES game that matters, you can play it right now in incredibly good emulation. That’s another thing a lot of people don’t give Nintendo credit for: the NES/SNES emulation used on NSO is genuinely remarkable. Right down to nailing the dithering-interpolation-based transparency used in Kirby’s Dreamland 3, a touch they absolutely did not need to add to their online-play subscription’s value-add classics library but did. Say what you will about their N64 emulation (it’s actually alright barring some minor and not-so-minor issues) but their NES and SNES emulation are great.

If I had the time/energy I’d love to figure out, using Wii Virtual Console pricing, how much it would cost to buy every game available on NSO on the VC, and then work backwards to figure out how long you’d have to be subscribed in order for VC to be a better deal than NSO

edit i did the math and, not accounting for charging more for imports, at 5 bucks an NES game and 8 a SNES game, it’d cost you 460 to buy all the nes games and 552 to buy all the snes games, totalling 1012 bucks for the whole library, which means you’d have to subscribe for 51 years for NSO to be a worse deal than NSO

@Irene thanks for giving us not one but two threads to hide in when trying to escape from the frantic nature of Direct Speculation!

Doom, Crysis, Bioshock

"No interest in these, would rather play on SteamDeck"

"No interest in these, would rather play on SteamDeck"

I know you are meming but I have a Switch and a Steam Deck, and if the option exists many times (most) I'll choose Switch due to the OLED screen. The Steam Deck is good at many things, but the screen quality isn't exactly one of them.

The two immediate changes I'd want for NSO is border removal and the option to purchase individual games. I actually like the service as a way to drop into any retro game conveniently, including ones I'd never try. But I still prefer the continuity of having a game I can pick up years later, without a continuing subscription. I would also just prefer, from a UI/UX perspective, going to the Switch home menu and seeing LttP or Super Metroid alongisde my existing games and immediately booting into it.

I wonder what the reason is for not having both the ongoing subscription and selling the games by themselves. Maybe the concern is that people will batch purchase all the games they want and not subscribe again, but isn't PlayStation allowing individual purchases?

Share holder mentioned Wario Land in their question, so new Wario Land is basically confirmed thanks everyone!

I unironically think of the three titles mentioned, Wario Land is the most likely to return (and also the one thast would make me happier).

Nintendo not doing sequel for Ring Fit Adventure OR utilising the Ring-con in Switch Sports are the greatest development crimes committed by any company in the industry ever.

The two immediate changes I'd want for NSO is border removal and the option to purchase individual games. I actually like the service as a way to drop into any retro game conveniently, including ones I'd never try. But I still prefer the continuity of having a game I can pick up years later, without a continuing subscription. I would also just prefer, from a UI/UX perspective, going to the Switch home menu and seeing LttP or Super Metroid alongisde my existing games and immediately booting into it.

I wonder what the reason is for not having both the ongoing subscription and selling the games by themselves. Maybe the concern is that people will batch purchase all the games they want and not subscribe again, but isn't PlayStation allowing individual purchases?
The app setup means they can reuse old esrb ratings as long as they’re in the scope of the app I believe? So they don’t have to pay to get every single game rated for release? Getting that many games Re rated can be expensive

Also the borders are the NSO trademark for better or worse

I think getting and keeping users in the subscription, with the “well I can’t unsub, what if I wanna play Jelly Boy in a few months” mental trap, is the point. As much as I’d love the option to purchase individual games as a consumer choice, business-wise they’d rather trap you in a subscription than get 5 bucks off of you.

If I had the time/energy I’d love to figure out, using Wii Virtual Console pricing, how much it would cost to buy every game available on NSO on the VC, and then work backwards to figure out how long you’d have to be subscribed in order for VC to be a better deal than NSO

edit i did the math and, not accounting for charging more for imports, at 5 bucks an NES game and 8 a SNES game, it’d cost you 460 to buy all the nes games and 552 to buy all the snes games, totalling 1012 bucks for the whole library, which means you’d have to subscribe for 51 years for NSO to be a worse deal than NSO
I think the main issue, at least to a lot of people, is much less about price than it is availability. NSO is a great deal for what you get, honestly, that's not the problem. The problem is that many of the games that I would willingly pay for, even quite a bit for, simply aren't available. And when NSO is the only option instead of having virtual console or something that at least gives you the option to buy things solo, and that used to exist and have FAR more options, that's why it feels mediocre.

Not that Nintendo is the only company having this problem lately. Just look at the Playstation classic games service that has approximately 0.01% of the PS1/PS2 games that I'd actually want to play on it, and it costs a ton more than NSO to boot.

I think the main issue, at least to a lot of people, is much less about price than it is availability. NSO is a great deal for what you get, honestly, that's not the problem. The problem is that many of the games that I would willingly pay for, even quite a bit for, simply aren't available. And when NSO is the only option instead of having virtual console or something that at least gives you the option to buy things solo, and that used to exist and have FAR more options, that's why it feels mediocre.

Not that Nintendo is the only company having this problem lately. Just look at the Playstation classic games service that has approximately 0.01% of the PS1/PS2 games that I'd actually want to play on it, and it costs a ton more than NSO to boot.
That Sony classics stuff seems like a genuine trash fire. Say what you will about Nintendo and NSO but at least it isn’t that. They do let you individually buy (some but not all) games though, which is a plus. But wow, from selection, to organization, just a total mess.

I think the best solution that Nintendo should consider doing the work for is eShop-purchasable ROM injections. For example: if I buy the Mega Man Legacy Collection, I should have the option to just put the ROMs for Mega Mans 1-6 into the NSO NES app instead of having them be in a different thing. I’d buy WAY more classic collections on the eShop if I had the option of putting them in the NSO apps.

Thanks for the excellent OP Irene!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom