• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m very pleasantly surprised Sony will honor past PS1/PSP purchases on PS5 where possible without a subscription. It’s a small start, but hopefully some cool stuff crosses over and we’ll eventually get PS2, PS3, and Vita games.

Nintendo needs to step up now and bring back our Virtual Console purchases. No excuses.

I’m very pleasantly surprised Sony will honor past PS1/PSP purchases on PS5 where possible without a subscription. It’s a small start, but hopefully some cool stuff crosses over and we’ll eventually get PS2, PS3, and Vita games.

Nintendo needs to step up now and bring back our Virtual Console purchases. No excuses.
I feel is a little too late for that implementation at this point... (even though I'm sure our Nintendo accounts are able to at very least keep track of our Wii U and 3DS VC purchases.. poor Wii got left behind in this talk).. But I have no fear that NSO will carry forward for the next system.

I’ve been waiting to replay Ape Escape for over a decade.

For some reason the PS3 won’t play the PAL version of the game so I was out of luck. I own a disk but have no way to play it.

I’m actually so damn pumped for this. Ape Escape is the best 3D platformer ever.

I feel is a little too late for that implementation at this point... (even though I'm sure our Nintendo accounts are able to at very least keep track of our Wii U and 3DS VC purchases.. poor Wii got left behind in this talk).. But I have no fear that NSO will carry forward for the next system.
Wii was left behind, but Wii U and 3DS shouldn’t be since the accounts can be linked. I’m not satisfied with locking classic games solely behind a subscription, there should always be a purchase option too.

It’s not too late at all. You can sub and get the whole collection, or buy outright which ones you want.

Just like Sony is doing now.

…and also just like Nintendo is doing now with the DLC in the Expansion tier.

Anybody else really wish that we got a HD remaster of Bonsai Barber on Switch? My husband's favourite game of all time, nothing compares apparently LOL

Everything seems pretty good about the PS+ news except the actual selection of initial classic games. Would’ve thought they’d make the initial games more noteworthy ones.

Also obligatory reminder that Jim Ryan is still a piece of shit.

Everything seems pretty good about the PS+ news except the actual selection of initial classic games. Would’ve thought they’d make the initial games more noteworthy ones.

Also obligatory reminder that Jim Ryan is still a piece of shit.
That’s just a selection, not the full list.

And Ape Escape is the best game on the system.

It’s not too late at all. You can sub and get the whole collection, or buy outright which ones you want.

Just like Sony is doing now.

…and also just like Nintendo is doing now with the DLC in the Expansion tier.
Wii was left behind, but Wii U and 3DS shouldn’t be since the accounts can be linked. I’m not satisfied with locking classic games solely behind a subscription, there should always be a purchase option too.
I meant that Nintendo won't look back on our Wii U and 3DS purchases now, especially with the eShop for those systems closing soon.. And besides, they'd need to get some kind of way to play the systems yet not represented on Switch (the Game Boy line is supposedly coming, but you'd still miss DS, Wii, TurboGrafx, MSX, Game Gear..). Ideally, some kind of upgrade path like this would be there from start.

But personally, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the future systems.. All things considered, the Wii to Wii U, and DS to 3DS migration wasn't too bad. Is just that we really got that chain broken with the Switch..

Can not remember if I ever bought any of the PS1 classics on PS3/Vita, but I think I have not? Maybe FF6? Idk.

If Sony want to make a convincing argument, they should let me play my PS3 games on PS5, so I can — among other things — play the original Demon's Souls in 4k/60 rather than the remake.

I meant that Nintendo won't look back on our Wii U and 3DS purchases now, especially with the eShop for those systems closing soon.. And besides, they'd need to get some kind of way to play the systems yet not represented on Switch (the Game Boy line is supposedly coming, but you'd still miss DS, Wii, TurboGrafx, MSX, Game Gear..). Ideally, some kind of upgrade path like this would be there from start.

But personally, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the future systems.. All things considered, the Wii to Wii U, and DS to 3DS migration wasn't too bad. Is just that we really got that chain broken with the Switch..
There’s still time to get it done since the Wii U and 3DS Nintendo accounts themselves will live on beyond the shop closures in March 2023 since they will still be open to let you redownload games just not purchase additional ones. It doesn’t have to be all at once either since Sony, like Microsoft BC before them, is doing a dripfeed of content.

This is one of the best times we’ll get to speak up about this.

I think the only PS1 games I ever plan on buying on PS3 are MGS1 and SotN. Pretty much everything else they have in the classics line I have physically.

There’s still time to get it done since the Wii U and 3DS Nintendo accounts themselves will live on beyond the shop closures in March 2023 since they will still be open to let you redownload games just not purchase additional ones. It doesn’t have to be all at once either since Sony, like Microsoft BC before them, is doing a dripfeed of content.

This is one of the best times we’ll get to speak up about this.

For Wii U and 3DS games, Nintendo would need to develop an emulator for each system or port every single game to the Switch natively. Neither option is an easy task. It's especially difficult because some 3DS and Wii U games really utilize the two screens. For Virtual Console games, Nintendo does have emulators for NES, SNES, N64, and probably the Gameboy systems. But from Nintendo's perspective, there are no purchases to transfer. You cannot transfer your purchase of Zelda 1 because Zelda 1 is not for sale on the Switch. It's only available through NSO.

Now you can make the argument that Nintendo should make individual VC games for sale. But I don't see that happening. The goal for these companies is for people to subscribe to their services. Individual classic games wasn't the money maker games assumed it would be.

Now you can make the argument that Nintendo should make individual VC games for sale. But I don't see that happening. The goal for these companies is for people to subscribe to their services. Individual classic games wasn't the money maker games assumed it would be.
There is one big exception we saw in 3DS VC, the Pokemon games. The classic Pokemon games were a huge success for Nintendo and were always in the top 10 of eShop and they even made DL cards so they could be sold at retail. Even if I believe Pokemon will end up on NSO, there is the chance they prefer to do it by eShop

Hello all. I’m playing the first Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time ever (Definitive Edition on Switch), and man oh man, I can’t believe I slept on this game for so long. I love the characters so far, the story has lots of intrigue and the music is just otherworldly. Super amazing stuff so far and I’m glad I finally picked it up in the wake of my hype for 3. (I loooved 2.)

There is one big exception we saw in 3DS VC, the Pokemon games. The classic Pokemon games were a huge success for Nintendo and were always in the top 10 of eShop and they even made DL cards so they could be sold at retail. Even if I believe Pokemon will end up on NSO, there is the chance they prefer to do it by eShop

By not being a huge money maker, I mean that there are only a few select games that people actually care about and are willing to drop a few bucks on. If companies offer up individual purchases for games, people will just spent a few bucks for the few games they want and not bother with the rest. Game companies figured this out which is why it's more lucrative to sell bundles of games as part of collections, mini consoles, or subscription services. Pokemon Red and Blue might sell very well on Switch if sold individually. But they can also be used to get a bunch of people to sign up to NSO as well.

Last edited:
For Wii U and 3DS games, Nintendo would need to develop an emulator for each system or port every single game to the Switch natively. Neither option is an easy task. It's especially difficult because some 3DS and Wii U games really utilize the two screens. For Virtual Console games, Nintendo does have emulators for NES, SNES, N64, and probably the Gameboy systems. But from Nintendo's perspective, there are no purchases to transfer. You cannot transfer your purchase of Zelda 1 because Zelda 1 is not for sale on the Switch. It's only available through NSO.

I’m mostly only interested in the classic virtual console games for this even though in a truly ideal world you’d get everything (I agree the unique dual screen/Wii U Game Pad hardware makes 3DS and Wii U first software too complicated). So currently that’s NES, SNES, and N64 games. I’m not sure what’s easier here or makes more sense, either separate releases that use the NSO emulators or if there’s a check in the NSO app that lets you play your old games inside the apps we already have when you don’t have an active subscription.

Sony’s plan is for new, individual wrappers for their classic games. It isn’t the same PS1 Classic file you downloaded in the past since they added rewind and save states. Sony stepped up their game here for this, that’s what I want from Nintendo. Whether we get it or not, it’s important to clearly and politely ask. Nothing ever changes if people don’t speak up.

Hello all. I’m playing the first Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time ever (Definitive Edition on Switch), and man oh man, I can’t believe I slept on this game for so long. I love the characters so far, the story has lots of intrigue and the music is just otherworldly. Super amazing stuff so far and I’m glad I finally picked it up in the wake of my hype for 3. (I loooved 2.)

Hey you did what I did! I also played 2 first and loved it. I really enjoyed 1, too. The story absolutely sucked me in. How far are you?

Discounting digital Wii U and 3DS games, and just going through legacy stuff, Switch still doesn't have a solution for many of them... (again, saying that we'll be for sure be getting GB, GBC and GBA soon);

Wii U had:
  • Nintendo DS
  • Wii digital games (often lumped with VC on the eShop)
  • TurboGrafx-16
  • MSX (Japan only)

and 3DS:
  • Game Gear;

.. if the Wii VC games through the Wii mode on Wii U were able to transfer over as well, you'd be missing:

• Master System;
  • Commodore 64 (long delisted, but you could still transfer your games to a Wii U);
  • Arcade (not sure how you'd even apply some kind of upgrade path for this one... unless they do something with the Arcade Archives lineup on Switch)
  • Neo Geo (same as above...)

... in an ideal world, everything could be still played on Switch, regardless of subscriptions, but as @HockeyBird said, you'd need to have tailor made emulators for those and the ability to get them individually somewhere natively on Switch to even make all that work.

New PS+ service retroactively gives you PS4/5 versions of PS1/PSP games you’d already bought on PS3/PSP/Vita without even needing a sub 🥲
This will be nice if I ever eventually buy a PS5 as I have a lot of PlayStation classics. Will be nice to not have to subscribe to get them again.

I had a dream that Metroid Prime 4 was given an official release date of 2027 and I just want to say that if that actually happens then I apologize to all of you.

I had a dream that Metroid Prime 4 was given an official release date of 2027 and I just want to say that if that actually happens then I apologize to all of you.
Please let your dreams be dreams

Hey you did what I did! I also played 2 first and loved it. I really enjoyed 1, too. The story absolutely sucked me in. How far are you?
Oh nice! Glad to see someone else did it in the same order haha. I just made it to Chapter 6, and am just absolutely loving it. I plan to play more today at some point for sure!

Oh nice! Glad to see someone else did it in the same order haha. I just made it to Chapter 6, and am just absolutely loving it. I plan to play more today at some point for sure!
Sweeeet. Let me know how it goes?
Have your gotten to Prison Island yet

Sony's PS+ classic line up makes the NSO Expansion Pak seem like an amazing deal. Big oooooooof on that one.
I don’t know. Everyone should’ve expected a small line-up with very few heavy hitters. But of the marketing for these things is a rollout and surprise announcements. I’m interested to see where their service will be by one year after it launches

Sony's PS+ classic line up makes the NSO Expansion Pak seem like an amazing deal. Big oooooooof on that one.

I don’t know. Everyone should’ve expected a small line-up with very few heavy hitters. But of the marketing for these things is a rollout and surprise announcements. I’m interested to see where their service will be by one year after it launches
It's not the full lineup, just a sample of it. AFAIK there should be about 700 games at launch; likely fewer, but similar to Game Pass numbers.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa

We can have emojis in our usernames???

I feel like it'd be trivially easy to just make the games in the NSO apps "DLC" that can be bought separately. But it's clearly something Nintendo never intended to implement.
You mean, like some sort of "console" that'd be "virtual" ? I think you're onto something but really, don't be silly, Nintendo would never do such a consumer-friendly thing

I did the same order as well. I didn't really enjoy the Wii version for some reason but after a slow start in XC2 I loved it. After that when DE came out and before that Torna I became Xenoblade fan :p

People discovering Xenoblade 1 for the first time, after having played X or 2 first, will never get old to me.

I feel like it'd be trivially easy to just make the games in the NSO apps "DLC" that can be bought separately. But it's clearly something Nintendo never intended to implement.
Yeah, I thought something like this could happen (on a technical level, not actually happen because Nintendo). The app checks if you're subscribed on a regular basis - couldn't it just check account data to see which games you have a license for, and then unlock those games? A subscription obviously would unlock all games.

Man, I got sucked back into Elden Ring.

I left off at the final boss after backing up a cloud save so I could get all the endings.

I fucked up and backed up a second time after locking myself into the Frenzied Flame ending, and now, in order to get my final trophy...... I need to run all the way back through NG+.

I need to stop reading Songs of Conquest impressions. I might have to do something stupid like playing an actual game and breaking my "no early access" rule.

I am frankly pretty baffled they don't offer a la carte purchases of their NSO games alongside the "all you can eat buffet" subscription. This is obviously an anecdotal situation, but I love the "All You Can Eat" Subscription because I'm the kind of person that would buy so many retro games that offering them as a subscription would save me money and provide a solid value. However, my girlfriend doesn't want to pay $65 a year to access the 2-3 N64 games she cares about, and would rather buy them a la carte and just have them on her console forever. So right now, while they're getting money out of me, they're getting zero dollars out of my girlfriend, where if they offered a la carte purchases of N64 games for, let's say $15 each, they could get a solid $45 bucks out of her right now for very little work. Forty Five Dollars is more than Zero Dollars, Nintendo! Money, Table, etc.

Before anyone says the words "family plan" to me: she's involved in a base tier family plan with her family that'd be somewhat complicated to get involved in

I am frankly pretty baffled they don't offer a la carte purchases of their NSO games alongside the "all you can eat buffet" subscription. This is obviously an anecdotal situation, but I love the "All You Can Eat" Subscription because I'm the kind of person that would buy so many retro games that offering them as a subscription would save me money and provide a solid value. However, my girlfriend doesn't want to pay $65 a year to access the 2-3 N64 games she cares about, and would rather buy them a la carte and just have them on her console forever. So right now, while they're getting money out of me, they're getting zero dollars out of my girlfriend, where if they offered a la carte purchases of N64 games for, let's say $15 each, they could get a solid $45 bucks out of her right now for very little work. Forty Five Dollars is more than Zero Dollars, Nintendo! Money, Table, etc.

Before anyone says the words "family plan" to me: she's involved in a base tier family plan with her family that'd be somewhat complicated to get involved in
I feel this so much. Why don't you just let me buy OoT, MM, and F-Zero X, Nintendo?

Personally I suspect Nintendo know this sort of scenario occurs, but for them right now the priority is building a subscription business and locking these games into their subscription business gives them leverage to gradually build up the number of subscribers, as well as the amount subscribers are paying.

Part of me thinks that, when Nintendo revamp the service in a few years, we may actually get the option to make stand-alone in-app purchases for retro games we want to keep. But I think Nintendo only do that when they're confident that tens of millions of people will stay subscribed, year-in, year-out; the retro games are there for now to sort of twist people's arms into subscribing by not giving them an alternative way of accessing that content. We can already see Nintendo experimenting with what content a subscription can offer; in a few years, it wouldn't surprise me if the price has gone up and 'budget' Nintendo games - download only things, for example, like Boxboy, Cadence of Hyrule - are available in the subscription and you get new Nindies titles in the sub too.

Once the subscription offers more reasons to stay subbed, and Nintendo are confident people will stay on, I think they might allow purchases of retro titles again. But I don't think we get to that point for a good 5 years or so. It was interesting that Nintendo wouldn't reveal NSO numbers when asked last week; "Since not all consumers renew their subscriptions after the expiration of their membership periods, we think it is important to continuously make the service more compelling through the addition of titles that utilize online gameplay and improvements to the service itself." So while new customers are joining, total subscription numbers are likely fluctuating because some people don't see the value in staying subscribed for the long-haul; so long as that's the case, I think retro content stays locked in there.

Personally I suspect Nintendo know this sort of scenario occurs, but for them right now the priority is building a subscription business and locking these games into their subscription business gives them leverage to gradually build up the number of subscribers, as well as the amount subscribers are paying.

Part of me thinks that, when Nintendo revamp the service in a few years, we may actually get the option to make stand-alone in-app purchases for retro games we want to keep. But I think Nintendo only do that when they're confident that tens of millions of people will stay subscribed, year-in, year-out; the retro games are there for now to sort of twist people's arms into subscribing by not giving them an alternative way of accessing that content. We can already see Nintendo experimenting with what content a subscription can offer; in a few years, it wouldn't surprise me if the price has gone up and 'budget' Nintendo games - download only things, for example, like Boxboy, Cadence of Hyrule - are available in the subscription and you get new Nindies titles in the sub too.

Once the subscription offers more reasons to stay subbed, and Nintendo are confident people will stay on, I think they might allow purchases of retro titles again. But I don't think we get to that point for a good 5 years or so. It was interesting that Nintendo wouldn't reveal NSO numbers when asked last week; "Since not all consumers renew their subscriptions after the expiration of their membership periods, we think it is important to continuously make the service more compelling through the addition of titles that utilize online gameplay and improvements to the service itself." So while new customers are joining, total subscription numbers are likely fluctuating because some people don't see the value in staying subscribed for the long-haul; so long as that's the case, I think retro content stays locked in there.
I think you're definitely onto something here, though I think the thing that kinda makes me raise an eyebrow is: if they want to get people into the subscription and stay there, I feel like they maybe would have also locked the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC behind the subscription? Maybe that'd be a little over the proverbial line for them.

But I think I agree with you: I think once they can lock-in more permanent subscribers and can feel confident in their subscription numbers staying strong, they'll open up individual purchases of classic games.

Or, what I think will happen SOMEWHERE in the world where Nintendo does business: some very progressive government body is going to enforce a law (I feel like somewhere in Europe would do this) that tells entertainment content publishers that, while they can offer a subscription if they like, they cannot lock their content behind a subscription, and NEED to offer an a la carte purchase option, and this is going to force Nintendo's hand.

The thing that really gets me about the subscription service is that now we will never know in advance which tier a newly introduced NSO system is going to be available for.

Like, will they decide on a case by case basis? Will any systems they add from now on be exclusive to the Expansion Pass by default? Because while I would be fine with, say, Gamecube or DS being Expansion Pass only, the same would be a very hard pill to swallow when it comes to GB(C) or GBA.

WB definitely got the budget for a good Marketing strategy for their new Smash like game.

They got a chance to make really good trailers. Just need to be snappier and mix Cg with actual gameplay. Already got the voice acting which will help

Game companies figured out that they can make more money by charging higher prices for bundles, collections, and subscriptions than letting people buy each game individually. Nintendo is looking at spending across millions of people. They are not looking at your individual girlfriend to see how much she is spending. If Nintendo can makes let's say $20 per Switch owner with a subscription service compared to $10 per person with individual game purchases via virtual console, they are going to pick the option that has the higher average user spending, even if that means a small subset of people will actually pay less than they otherwise would. From their perspective, you're essentially arguing "why make more money when you can make less?".

I've said it many times before, if retro games were as lucrative as gamers think that it is, game companies would still be pumping these out. But it's not. Nintendo got rid of the virtual console. Sony cut back on PS classics. Instead, they opted for subscriptions, collections, and mini consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom