• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the TG-16. The platform that died at an awkward time resulting in its mascot platformer franchise gaining entries on both the NES and SNES.
I have such a love hate relationship with that series. Lovely visuals, the controls are tight… but wow, is it all over the place gameplay wise, where it just ends up becoming janky due to the level design and power up system.

PUT PC-ENGINE GAME ON NSO NINTENDO COME ON

KONAMI WOULD PROBABLY BE DOWN
I never understood why they release a mini console but don’t offer a stand alone game for those that don’t or couldn’t get the mini console. At least the NSO gives me most of the Nintendo games on those things.

I’d kill for a PC Engine mini digital edition.

Those Silent Hill games sound nice and all but you know what could have been much better? Castlevania DS Collection.

I kind of feel like the Castlevania DS collection is question of when, not if.
The only issue I see is they probably would have to change the interface for defeating bosses in Fawn of a sorrow since you had to draw out the runes to finish them off. Probably not a big deal breaker and the touch controls for the second two games were minimal and could be adjusted easily.

PS+ is going to give you PSP/PS3/Vita purchased games? That's great! ... if I had any (never really bought anything on those consoles).

But the classic games selection... huh. So for PS2 it's basically just the "PS2 on PS4" games that I already bought most of on PS4? Color me extremely unimpressed.

PUT PC-ENGINE GAME ON NSO NINTENDO COME ON

KONAMI WOULD PROBABLY BE DOWN
Can we also get them to release all those great shooter collections they had on PSP? A treasure trove of shmups that haven’t been rereleased since (lots are on ACA, but some were console specific so won’t be coming over).

The only issue I see is they probably would have to change the interface for defeating bosses in Fawn of a sorrow since you had to draw out the runes to finish them off. Probably not a big deal breaker and the touch controls for the second two games were minimal and could be adjusted easily.
Shouldn't be too tough to tweak that. And honestly if you fix the 'glyph drawing' to kill bosses thing, I think Dawn of Sorrow is even better than Aria (or at least very very close). A DS collection with that, Portrait, and Ecclesia would be absolutely fantastic.

Shouldn't be too tough to tweak that. And honestly if you fix the 'glyph drawing' to kill bosses thing, I think Dawn of Sorrow is even better than Aria (or at least very very close). A DS collection with that, Portrait, and Ecclesia would be absolutely fantastic.
It’s probably as easy as mapping to the right stick like Capcom did for the ZX games. Let’s hope this will become a reality.

I'm excited for GB/GBA NSO (though less so since I built up my GB/GBA purchases on 3DS), but otherwise, the only things that I can get really excited about are Sega's consoles, and for obvious reasons, we'll never get Saturn NSO.

Dreamcast NSO would be amazing, but you'd also have to get Capcom to release a bunch of their games on it because the Dreamcast lineup was great on Sega's part, but also heavily dependent upon how good Capcom was.

I think there's more money in just re-releasing/re-making those games for both companies. So for me, there's not much else they can add that will make the value proposition better.

Well, I mean, there is Virtual Boy NSO, but that will obviously never happen, either.

Sony's stance on abortion is awful. Good to hear their subsidiaries are giving 'em shit for it.

(RE: news about Insomniac)

I swear this is relevant to this particular conversation and I’m on my phone so I’m going to brief with this partial bomb throw:

The PS3 and PS2 era (and specifically those two consoles) have blood on their hands for what happened to Japanese games.
PS2 had a plethora of great games though

Now the PS3… I agree

This is relevant to this particular conversation and I’m on my phone so I’m going to brief with this partial bomb throw:

The PS3 and PS2 era (and specifically those two consoles) have blood on their hands for what happened to Japanese games.
I’d say the state of japanese economy affected more their output during the PS2 era than PS2 itself, PS3 though it was awful for most developers the console itself.

Built on the backs of the corpses of franchises that wouldn’t survive past that generation.
Wasn't that mostly due to the costs and scope of moving to HD development, though? I blame the PS3 for that, not PS2. PS2 has one of the single greatest gaming libraries of all time, Japanese games included. Especially Japanese games, I'd say.

Built on the backs of the corpses of franchises that wouldn’t survive past that generation.

That hurt some companies like Konami, Capcom, Square harder than others. But this is absolutely when the B-tier / AA market starts to contract hard.
The transition to HD killed so many devs/publishers/franchises that we loved.

no flippin idea what a "pee ess too" is, the only letters I need are

VALKYRIE GODDAMN PROFILE 2 SILMERIA HD ON NINTENDO FUCKING SWITCH BAYBEEE YEAH

A lot went to PSP/DS and still struggled so it’s not only HD development killed this franchises , a lot of the companies at that time had financial troubles due to the situation of Japan economy.

Wasn't that mostly due to the costs and scope of moving to HD development, though? I blame the PS3 for that, not PS2. PS2 has one of the single greatest gaming libraries of all time, Japanese games included. Especially Japanese games, I'd say.

I’m arguing that certain franchises weren’t on good standing during the PS2 era which is why they either went dormant or started to migrate to portables in the PS2 and PS3 era.

Maybe I’m cherry picking here a bit or putting more emphasis on certain legacy franchises than theyre actually owed. But the PS2 was the last stop for a number of things that had been largely in existence and staples of Japanese companies for nearly 2 decades at that point.

It’s just a sad era in my mind when I think about it. Especially when you think about how the PS1 was a continuation of the NES/SNES.

So let's update June with another game then..
June, plz

June
10 Demon Slayer
10 Mario Strikers: Battle League
17 Omori
21 Wreckfest
21 Fall Guys
23 Sonic Origins
24 Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
24 AI the Somnium Files: NirvanA Initiative
24 Capcom Fightin Collection
24 Pocky & Rocky Reshrined
30 Cuphead: Delicious Last Course
30 Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak

Last edited:
June, plz

June
10 Demon Slayer
21 Wreckfest
21 Fall Guys
23 Sonic Origins
June totally stole all of May's lunch money, smh.

June, plz

June
10 Demon Slayer
21 Wreckfest
21 Fall Guys
23 Sonic Origins
You're missing one. Omori is coming out on June 17th.

Mediatonic really seems to have made a great job with the Switch port! They took their sweet time but it seems it was worth it

A lot of western companies got crushed during the transition to HD. Remember Midway? Eidos? A lot of the IPs and studios got swallowed up by big corporations like EA and Activision so some of the studios and franchises still survive. But the transition to HD absolutely killed a lot of mid-tier budget game development.

That hurt some companies like Konami, Capcom, Square harder than others. But this is absolutely when the B-tier / AA market starts to contract hard.
Sort of agree yeah.

On the other hand, I mean I love Capcom for example, but their choices weren't great either. Code Veronica was the killer app for Dreamcast, You had like Devil May Cry which was a Resident Evil game at first, then they retooled a failed project into Devil May Cry 2, came back with a fantastic DMC 3, didn't know what to do with their Mega Man games, Resident Evil went Gamecube exclusive, Viewtiful Joe (2) were the greatest games nobody played, you had Maximo, Okami, they put money into Killer 7 (which I love dearly) and their fighting games left to be desired;

I always felt that the PS2/Cube/Xbox gen was the final gen where developers got to spend money on their passion projects and when they were hitting snags everyone was like "oh shit, there are consequences to our actions, like big money sinks when our games bomb". Especially in Japan you saw Japanese devs like Square and especially Konami hitting walls. Those walls become only harder when HD development came around and significantly upped budgets.

Especially the latter; their first tries on Castlevania 3D were horrendous and with Lord of Shadows they had a decent attempt... only to completely blow it with Lords of Shadows 2. The 2D DS games were made, but that's about it. Pro Evolution while good never could fight FIFA in a fair fight and Silent Hill... let's not talk about that. During the HD era they just massacred the series with Homecoming, Downpour, that one weird Vita game and they just let the game rot.

The only constant were the MGS games.

June, plz

June
10 Demon Slayer
17 Omori
21 Wreckfest
21 Fall Guys
23 Sonic Origins

Not Nintendo, but Sony's new PS+ services launch next month as well. June is one busy month.

To me, a huge Metal Gear fan, I did not find the releases after MGS 3 to be consistent at all.
Well with Kojima at Konami back then you knew something MGS would be coming along eventually, that was my point.

The same could not be said about Silent Hill or Castlevania

Hmmm.. no clip from Sonic 3, SEGA? If I didn't know any better, I'd think you're trying to hide something 🤧

Usually when famiboards or resetera say a series is niche is due to some warped vision where only 20+ million sellers are successful. But when i saw that the entire silent hill series only sold 8 million copies i really was shocked.

Its such a known horror series that i really was surprised to see how few copies it sold.

Usually when famiboards or resetera say a series is niche is due to some warped vision where only 20+ million sellers are successful. But when i saw that the entire silent hill series only sold 8 million copies i really was shocked.

Its such a known horror series that i really was surprised to see how few copies it sold.
Not niche = Xenoblade 2 sales + 1 , right now a game needs to sell 2170001 copies to be considered not niche

Aren't horror games in general fairly niche, Resident Evil aside?
Outlast franchise, RE and maybe the first dead space yeah. They re also always disliked by the media. The last time an horror game got a 90 on metacritic was with dead space 2 lol, and im not sure if it maintained the 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom