• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how successful LM3 was, there absolutely will be more entries in the future, though yes, we'll be left wondering how NLG would've handled other Nintendo franchises if they had the chance.

Now that Kirby is in 3D, Nintendo should ask NLG to make a 3D Yoshi. Maybe with a hand drawn artistic direction à la Yoshi’s Island. They’d be so good at it

Luigi’s mansion is too successful to ignore. They’re gonna be making those for a while. Wouldn’t be shocked if development on 4 has already started. It’s crazy how well 2 and 3 sold.

Luigi’s mansion is too successful to ignore. They’re gonna be making those for a while. Wouldn’t be shocked if development on 4 has already started. It’s crazy how well 2 and 3 sold.
The thing is that LM3 is an evergreen, there is no need to rush a sequel yet I think LM is going to be a one per generation type of game. Of course they may start pre-production of LM4 but will take a while

Yeah, it's probably going to be confusing for veterans. Maybe I won't call it armor class in the end, maybe just a general "armor".

I decided that in a first person game it's kinda silly to see an enemy standing right in front of you and not being able to hit it like 7 times out of 10, so AC wasn't going to relate to hit chance. I am still implementing a dodge skill which lets enemies and players dodge attacks depending on their skill level, so there will still be occasional misses. I'm hoping to be able to implement some kind of silly standardized animation showing the enemy dodging a hit so that you're not just getting a "whoosh" sound as your notification.

I'm working on a really, really comprehensive skill system that's actually way easier conceptually for me than simple damage reduction, funnily enough.

I've also decided to be confusing and backwards when it comes to MP, you don't have a full MP bar that depletes with use, instead you have an empty bar that increases with use and slowly depletes over time, and using an ability that costs more MP than your bar allows will subtract those points from HP instead of MP. Still haven't figure out how healing abilities will work with this though...
The naming of stats issue reminds me of Sonic Chronicles. The Sonic RPG made by Bioware, which is only half of what's interesting about it. The other half is that it was experienced crpg developers trying to make a jrpg. That stat for chance to hit was called Attack while the stat to avoid damage was Defense. That made more sense coming from crpgs as an evolution of THAC0 and Armor Class. Dragon Age was starting development around the same time and called these stats Attack Rating and Defense Rating. But most people who hopped on expecting a jrpg were confused that investing points into Attack didn't improve damage output. I definitely was lol! Sometimes going along with player expectations means you need fewer tutorials and explanations. I'd probably just call it armor.

I've no issue with stat based hitting and missing. If anything, I think it's fun when games let me build up an evasion stat as a viable form of defense. The idea of a dodge tank is just a fun concept. But I can see why you'd want to avoid the constant attack whiffing found in the early game of so many classic crpgs.

Cool idea for MP! Sounds like an overheat system. It could give the combat a good sense of rhythm. I don't see any inherent issue with healing in this system. Healing yourself will be pointless if you're close to overheating but that's just the consequence of poorly managing your resources. Healing others at the risk of your own health could work really well if there's some way to control who the enemy hits. Like back row characters having a smaller chance to be targeted. Or something as simple and elegant as Dragon Quest's system where each character's chance to be targeted is based on their position in the party from left to right. Putting a healer in the right-most slot and the risk of losing health to heal characters on the left becomes fairly attractive while still having some tension in case the enemy DOES select them.

Currently trying to decide whether to get Reggie's book or Tony Fadell's book. Or maybe I'll just end up buying another Terry Pratchett novel, idk

I wonder what kind of setting they’ll do for Luigi’s Mansion 4. 3 had so many ideas in it. They did the hotel setting instead of a mansion.

I think they should do a Bishock and go underwater city or an island or they can keep the mansion setting and let you explore outside areas more.

The funniest thing about Luigi’s Mansion 3 was that it had 3 as a working title.

Guess since it wasn’t in a mansion. They Maybe consider changing the name lol. But series is popular now to ever change. Well maybe it still can

I wonder what kind of setting they’ll do for Luigi’s Mansion 4. 3 had so many ideas in it. They did the hotel setting instead of a mansion.

I think they should do a Bishock and go underwater city or an island or they can keep the mansion setting and let you explore outside areas more.
Hoping for an amusement park setting for the next entry.

I should actually finish Pokemon Legends tonight, which leaves me with the exciting choice of what next:

1) 13 Sentinels
2) Triangle Strategy Golden Route
3) Metroid Dread second playthrough

3) is likeliest because it's the shortest. The way my fatigue is, not sure I can handle a text heavy adventure, especially not something that's completely new.

Annoyingly still no update on my missing parcel (with Xbox inside) so no Mass Effect yet.

2022 and we still don't have Crayon Shin Chan SWI localized :cry: , I understand that for some people it doesn't mean that much but I grew playing the Shin-Chan GBA/DS games and watching the series so playing a new great Shin Chan game is a dream to me.

It also looks amazing:

I should actually finish Pokemon Legends tonight, which leaves me with the exciting choice of what next:

1) 13 Sentinels
2) Triangle Strategy Golden Route
3) Metroid Dread second playthrough

3) is likeliest because it's the shortest. The way my fatigue is, not sure I can handle a text heavy adventure, especially not something that's completely new.

Annoyingly still no update on my missing parcel (with Xbox inside) so no Mass Effect yet.

13 Sentinels is the game i'm focusing on right now. Great story, great characters, though combat is underwhelming imo

2022 and we still don't have Crayon Shin Chan SWI localized :cry: , I understand that for some people it doesn't mean that much but I grew playing the Shin-Chan GBA/DS games and watching the series so playing a new great Shin Chan game is a dream to me.

It also looks amazing:

I know nothing about this but now I need it.

It also looks amazing:

I’d buy it at a high price

I know nothing about this but now I need it.
fun fact, this is essentially a branded version of a series they made for Sony. same premise and everything (young boy enjoying a nostalgic summer vacation in rural japan)

I posted this art before, but I never noticed this

note who the artist is

dreams do come real

Ayo, this FamiFeed is actually helping me read more news I'd otherwise miss:

Tough-talk from President Joe Biden’s antitrust enforcers is fueling investor fears that the deal could be blocked or subject to delays even if it prevails, said Matt Perault of New Street Research. Plus, the deal will also need approval by other governments including the European Union and China.
The deal will be reviewed by the Federal Trade Commission, which is led by Lina Khan, who has long advocated for a more forceful approach to reviewing deals, particularly by the biggest technology companies. Under her leadership, the agency has blocked Nvidia Corp.’s acquisition of Arm Ltd. as well as Lockheed Martin Corp.’s deal for Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings Inc. She also resurrected the FTC’s monopoly case against Meta Platforms Inc., which seeks to split off WhatsApp and Instagram.

Fears of a legal challenge are well-founded, based on Khan’s statements opposing growth via acquisitions by big tech platforms, said Jennifer Rie, an antitrust analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. Plus, it’s likely the FTC will have a Democratic majority by the time a decision has to be made, alleviating a stalemate that may have caused inaction on the Amazon-MGM merger, Rie said.
Not sure if threadworthy but if this puts the ABK acquisition on shaky ground when the Nvidia-ARM acquisition was torpedoed by the same person, then maybe this might put a damper on further industry consolidation. Might not stop it outright, but certainly make companies reconsider the viability.

The naming of stats issue reminds me of Sonic Chronicles. The Sonic RPG made by Bioware, which is only half of what's interesting about it. The other half is that it was experienced crpg developers trying to make a jrpg. That stat for chance to hit was called Attack while the stat to avoid damage was Defense. That made more sense coming from crpgs as an evolution of THAC0 and Armor Class. Dragon Age was starting development around the same time and called these stats Attack Rating and Defense Rating. But most people who hopped on expecting a jrpg were confused that investing points into Attack didn't improve damage output. I definitely was lol! Sometimes going along with player expectations means you need fewer tutorials and explanations. I'd probably just call it armor.

I've no issue with stat based hitting and missing. If anything, I think it's fun when games let me build up an evasion stat as a viable form of defense. The idea of a dodge tank is just a fun concept. But I can see why you'd want to avoid the constant attack whiffing found in the early game of so many classic crpgs.

Cool idea for MP! Sounds like an overheat system. It could give the combat a good sense of rhythm. I don't see any inherent issue with healing in this system. Healing yourself will be pointless if you're close to overheating but that's just the consequence of poorly managing your resources. Healing others at the risk of your own health could work really well if there's some way to control who the enemy hits. Like back row characters having a smaller chance to be targeted. Or something as simple and elegant as Dragon Quest's system where each character's chance to be targeted is based on their position in the party from left to right. Putting a healer in the right-most slot and the risk of losing health to heal characters on the left becomes fairly attractive while still having some tension in case the enemy DOES select them.
Interesting the things that developers need to think about. I have my sub stats named fairly self explanatory I think, melee damage = damage with your melee weapon, ranged damage = damage with your ranged weapon, armor class = blanket damage reduction and resistance= specific damage reduction.

Recovery rate probably needs a bit of explanation, I'm using a turn system that relies on each action having a "recovery time" cost and each character having a "recovery speed" that is applied each down-turn, so recovery rate will determine that speed of recovery. Might also get into modifiers for the recovery time cost but eh I'm trying to keep this relatively simple.

Right now for targeting it's purely random. The only thing which affects targeting is whether or not a character is dead or unconscious. I think I'll keep it that way but I'm not sure, once all the systems are set up properly I'll do plenty of experimentation.

While Reggie seems like a nice dude, this was one of the things that sucked during his watch. He did not believe in certain games getting localized due to profits.
The decision to not bring over Mother 3 wasn't Reggie's, it was NCL's. By all accounts, Reggie pushed for it as a "even if it doesn't make money, it'll make the fans happy/finally shut up", Iwata said it would happen if Earthbound/Beginnings sales met a threshold on the Virtual Console, and they didn't.

There is a reason operation rainfall happen. Like would some of the more nicher titles like FamDec been localized under him, I doubt it.
Operation Rainfall didn't convince NOA, it just gave NOA ammunition to NCL to convince them to bring it over. NOA doesn't decide what gets localized, and it was only under Reggie (though maybe not because of Reggie) that NOA even got a voice in the room.

It also looks amazing:

There's hope !

https://marketresearchtelecast.com/...w-months-there-will-be-very-good-news/174150/

"Is anything known about the arrival of the new video game in Spain?” Said the question asked in the chat, advanced by GamesDNA. “Yes, it is known, yes”, begins indicating Gratacós convinced. “What happens is that at the moment it is top secret; but there are very good prospects and I think possibly in a few months there will be very good news”, He underlined with a smile. “I just can’t say more things"

Currently trying to decide whether to get Reggie's book or Tony Fadell's book. Or maybe I'll just end up buying another Terry Pratchett novel, idk
Whatever you do, for the love of god don't buy a video game

Nate over here destroying my dreams of Nintendo saving Sega and Enix:

Possibilities for Luigi’s Mansion 4 if they want to go beyond just a mansion again:

Gameplay:

Departing significantly from the series' previous games, the gameplay focuses on action and shootouts with fewer survival horror elements or ghost busting. The camera is placed behind Luigi and zooms in for an over-the-shoulder view when aiming a weapon, or a first-person view when aiming with a vacuum.

Plot:

In 2004, Mushroom Kingdom agent Luigi Mario (Charles Martinet) is on a mission to rescue Mario Mario, the agent‘s brother who has been abducted by a mysterious cult. He travels to an unnamed rural village in Spain where he encounters a group of hostile villagers who pledge their lives to Los Iluminados, the cult that kidnapped Mario. The villagers were once simple farmers until becoming infected by a mind-controlling parasite known as Las Plagas.

While in the village, Luigi is captured by its chief, Bitores Kamek, and injected with Las Plagas. He finds himself held captive with Waluigi (Also Charles Martinet), a former police officer/Taco Stand owner in Madrid, and former Los Iluminados researcher. The two work together to escape, but soon go their separate ways. Luigi finds out Mario is being held in a church and rescues him. They both escape from the church after Lord Bowser (Jack Black) leader of Los Iluminados, reveals his plan to use the plaga they injected into Mario to manipulate him into injecting the Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom with a "sample" once he returns home, allowing Bowser to begin his conquest of the world.

After killing Kamek, Luigi and Mario try to take refuge in a castle but are attacked by more Iluminados under the command of Donkey Kong (Seth Rogan), another of Saddler's henchmen who owns the castle, and the two become separated by Bowsers traps. Meanwhile, Waluigi searches for pills that will slow Luigi and Mario infection, as well as a sample of Las Plagas. He brings the two items to Luigi but is killed by Bowser, who takes the sample, while the pills to suppress the infection remain in Luigi’s hands. While in the castle, Luigi briefly encounters Daisy (Felicia Day), a woman from his past who supports him during his mission. He battles his way through the castle before killing DK.

Afterward, Luigi travels to a nearby island research facility, where he continues the search for Mario. He discovers that one of his former training comrades, Chestnut King of the Waffle Kingdom , who was believed to have been killed in a helicopter crash two years prior, is responsible for her kidnapping. Daisy and the Chestnut King are working with Wario (Charles again), for whom both intend to secure a Plagas sample. Suspicious of the mercenary's intentions, Bowser orders the Chestnut King to kill Luigi believing that no matter which one dies, he will benefit. After the Chestnut King’s demise, Luigi rescues Mario and they remove the Plagas from their bodies using a specialized radiotherapeutic device. Luigi confronts Bowser, and with Daisy’s help, manages to kill him. However, Daisy takes the sample from Luigi at gunpoint before escaping in a helicopter, leaving Luigi and Mario to escape via her jet-ski as the island explodes.

Last edited:
I just reached at my phone to check my notifications on the board and accidentally bumped it and it fell off the armrest and landed squarely in my trash can.

It's a sign.

Whatever you do, for the love of god don't buy a video game
alfred-pennyworth-batman.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom