• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The virtual absence of EPD10 in the Switch Era is baffling. Their only original game was Mario Maker 2 which isn't the most ressource demanding game they have ever made. Pikmin 3 was porting by Eighting, Big Brain Academy was a collaborative work with Indieszero and EPD4.

I'm starting to think that between the story behind Pikmin 4 and the lack of a new original 2D Mario since 2012-2013, EPD10 struggles a lot.
in the WiiU/3DS era they were behind New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Mario Maker. All of that in the span of 3 years.

i don't even have hopes of them announcing anything next month.
Well, Pikmin is a low-priority series. They've probably been working on it with a skeleton crew. As for 2D Mario, after the cold reception of the latest NSMB entries, I guess they are trying to do something different (and as @MisterSpo said, we know they are working on something).

You should also factor in Covid, Super Mario Run release and updates (2017) and them cutting planned update contents from Mario Maker 2 (resulting for example in the Mario USA Mushroom instead of a real Mario USA mode).

Isn’t EPD quite small compared to their output? I remeber reading it has only around 900 employees even if of course it has a lot of help from other Nintendo companies and third parties

Some of this is going to be down to where Nintendo are allocating EPD's resources. However, EPD 10's next game has been in the works since late 2019, judging by a hiring call, so it may not be that far off from a reveal or even release.
Botw2 really is too big for their own good. I'm excited for the development to finish and for Nintendo to expand with the new building.

Am sure we will see their next take on 2D Mario sometime this generation, it would be a shame if we saw only MM2 from them on Switch. Same goes with EPD8, I thought that Odyssey sequel is a no brainer but in 2022 it seems like they are trying something new as Bowsers Fury showed. And in closing I would be really surprised if we will don't get another original game from EPD9 but maybe they are fully focused on Mario Kart for next gen, with some members remastering courses for Booster Course Pass.
I was hoping that the new 2D Mario would release this year with the movie, but now that it's been delayed I don't know how it's going to pan out.

Well, Pikmin is a low-priority series. They've probably been working on it with a skeleton crew. As for 2D Mario, after the cold reception of the latest NSMB entries, I guess they are trying to do something different (and as @MisterSpo said, we know they are working on something).

You should also factor in Covid, Super Mario Run release and updates (2017) and them cutting planned update contents from Mario Maker 2 (resulting for example in the Mario USA Mushroom instead of a real Mario USA mode).
oh, I didn't know about the cut contents from Mario Maker 2. And it's true that Super Mario Run was a thing and took some developers. Hopefully, we'll see their next project soon.

What was strange about it?
I came away from it thinking that John wasn’t really as impressed with it as he should’ve been. He says the difference isn’t really night and day when I’d argue otherwise. Other than that, it’s another one of those reviews where people hear the bottomed out resolution and then say that’s the average resolution when it’s not something you’ll be seeing very often.

But it's so hard, I bought Octo Expansion in February 2021 or something but I still haven't finished it. I have few hours in and i love it but some levels are just so frustrating to me and it's not like am some Splatoon noob, i put 160+ hours into Splatoon 2.

I felt the same. It's really frustrating and i dropped after a few levels. It's well-regarded but it's definitely not for me

I was hoping that the new 2D Mario would release this year with the movie, but now that it's been delayed I don't know how it's going to pan out.
I guess it could still be released this Holiday even when the movie is not releasing. Zelda was delayed, they have Pokemon for Holiday and am sure they will announce some more titles (1-2 Switch sequel eh), but if they had planned 2D Mario this year they will just release it without movie in my opinion, 2D Mario is a safe bet and it just sells and sells.

I feel so good and happy and great today! Just wanted to share my positive vibes here. I hope it rubs off on people here who don't do so well at the moment.

@Barely Able two questions on the thread game
  • If I will a game into existence in the Vapor Lounge, does it release this year?
  • If I have already played a title do I consider it in my plan, i.e. is it (a) required to purchase (b) considered already purchased (c) erased from my memory unless I purchase?

@Barely Able two questions on the thread game
  • If I will a game into existence in the Vapor Lounge, does it release this year?
  • If I have already played a title do I consider it in my plan, i.e. is it (a) required to purchase (b) considered already purchased (c) erased from my memory unless I purchase?
Assume it’s the beginning of 2022. So any game that didn’t release you haven’t played. And if you will a game into existence it will download to your switch ASAP.

Assume it’s the beginning of 2022. So any game that didn’t release you haven’t played. And if you will a game into existence it will download to your switch ASAP.
Ooh one more question, if I pass on Botw2 does that mean I can't play WW/TP even if I get the NSO Gamecube Tier?

Ooh one more question, if I pass on Botw2 does that mean I can't play WW/TP even if I get the NSO Gamecube Tier?
If you get the landscaping service you can play all the classic games on those systems. Still wouldn’t be able to play anything post GameCube if you don’t buy the newest game though (so if you didn’t select BOTW2, you couldn’t play the newer games but I guess you get access to the classics. This was sort of a built in loophole). Wii games digitally on Wii U weren’t classified as VC, so those wouldn’t count.

Nice, in that case

0k: Goodbye to My Memories in the...
  • Master Bath
    • Pokémon Legends Arceus @ 30k (adored it, but it's flawed enough to pass on at that price)
20k: Keeping my Memories in the...
  • Standard Bath
    • Kirby and the Forgotten Land @ 20k (This game was too dang good, I'll take a known 10/10)
30k: Looking Forward to my newly remodeled
  • Home Theatre
    • Sonic Frontiers @ 10k (I need to fucking know how this turns out even if it's sonic 06-2)
  • Lounge
    • Pikmin 4 @ 10k (duh.)
  • Landscaping Service
    • GB/GBC/GBA/GC @ 5k (what a steal, need to secure my access to series that I'd otherwise lose by leaving behind)
  • Home Gym
    • Mario Strikers Battle League @ 5k (this is far down the list but thanks to government subsidies on gym memberships seems I'm game)
  • Garage
    • Mineko’s Night Market @5k (actually, while I don't need any of the indie games listed I can't lock myself out from all other indies so I'm swapping the gym for this)

Total Spent: all 50k baby

Sad to be passing on
:
  • The Sequel to the Legend of Zelda BOTW @ 50k (I can't blow my whole budget on one title even if it's the most wanted, I'll settle for classic Zeldas via NSO thanks to my landscaping company)
  • EPD Donkey Kong (if this blew my socks off I'd swap Sonic Frontiers for it but we choose chaos in this household)
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope @ 20k (since Kirby is a known quantity I'm happy to say fuck Ubisoft here no matter how much I want it)
  • Pokemon Scarlet / Violet @ 30k (too risky for 30k, I can wait another Gen for the polished experience)
  • Splatoon 3 @ 30k (my memories of Splatoon 2 will service me well enough here)
  • Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime HD @ 10k (at least they're fairly known quantities)

Seems I avoided any of the major penalties outside of being blocked off from all Indie games, which sucks.

Last edited:
Anyone here play Lego The Incredibles? I really liked the first movie as a kid (haven’t seen the second one but I’m willing to watch it,) and I’m wondering if I should pick it up while it’s 85% off.

Anyone here play Lego The Incredibles? I really liked the first movie as a kid (haven’t seen the second one but I’m willing to watch it,) and I’m wondering if I should pick it up while it’s 85% off.
It's not the best LEGO game out there, but not the worst either. I'd say if you like the formula and the IP you should enjoy it

Thank you for this detailed response! I may have found at least a temporarily satisfactory solution (Total = Dmg/(1+(Armor/100))) but I'll still see if I can improve it at all.

So generally I want armor to be an initial blanket damage reduction that never mitigates all damage, and then that output damage is further reduced by resistances for each damage type. So the resistances are easy, basically DMG-DMGxRES/100, with a resistance value of 100 indeed granting immunity. The armor part is what I was struggling with, since I couldn't find a satisfactory formula that makes armor important both at very low values (AC of 1-5 for example) and also high values (AC of 200).

And yes, there are buffs like stoneskin which raises armor by a set value rather than a percentage, though I'm also thinking of adding a higher level buff that does do a percentage. I'm toying with the idea of debuffs, like acid damage doing some percent of temporary damage to armor, but as of now enemies won't have the same stats that the player characters do, since I'm trying to keep this relatively simple for my sanity (and in the hopes that I can actually release it) so I'm not worried about armor debuffs for enemies.

The formula I posted above seems to work decently for now, do you think that's something I should just stick with? It's apparently the formula League of Legends uses, or close to it.

(Also I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea what a max function was before your post but now I'm heavily considering that too!)

I tried that in various scenarios using Excel and it really didn't work all that well. But yeah that was more or less my first thought too.
Yea, I immediately recognized that as a moba/mmo looking formula lol. I've usually seen written as: Damage * (100 / (100 + Defense)). World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 use variations of this formula too.

The idea of the formula is that defense's effectiveness is scaled to how many hits a target should take. Every 10 points of defense allow you to take an extra hit. You can play with the constant modifier to get numbers you want, and also change the effectiveness of the defense. For example Damage * (10 / (100 + Defense)) will make the number of hits you can take increase by every one point of defense. As long as you know how the formula works and balance defense upgrades accordingly, this formula should work for you. The usefulness of stoneskin will change throughout the game, that may or may not be what you want.

Nothing wrong with asymmetry between player and enemy stats. You can even have different damage calculations between them. In Xenoblade 1, player characters have subtractive defense while enemies have flat percentage reductions. But, how debuffs affect enemy stats is still worth considering in terms of offering different strategies to the player. For example, in a game with divisive defense, reducing enemy defense by a certain amount will cause you to deal the same amount of damage more to all enemies. In a game with subtractive defense, defense debuffs are more effective against enemies with higher defense so the player will employ different strategies here. The first two Paper Marios are a great example of games designed around subtractive defense and thresholds that show off what I mean here. But the formula you're going with is divisive so you won't really have to worry about balancing out debuffs too much.

So is armor class and damage reduction the same thing in your game? That might confuse regular CRPG/DnD players.

thank you for this, it’s very helpful!

I mean for my game I’m mostly ripping off the pocket monsters but this does clarify some approaches

Glad I could help! Pokemon is all about divisive defense. You probably already know this, but Bulbapedia has a good article on the damage calculations in Pokemon.

Nintendo lawyers writing a cease and desist letter at the very moment.

(honestly it looks like it could be fun, especially if you thought WarioWare was lacking motion controls)

I see what you did there
7eecd4a60d86bb095b8968e75170d1bc4423b5c1.gif

Uhh did we suddenly get sound effects for notifications or am i missing a rogue tab that happens to be aligning with my notifications here lol

On a scale from Sonic to Sanic, how confident are you that Sonic Frontiers will actually be a good game that is technically competent?

I thought mineko's night market was in dev hell but the devs posted an update on their Twitter late last month. Game looks good.

Reality: Promoted by Nintendo Spain official youtube channel
I mean it got approved to make it to the Switch, has Nintendo ever sued against a title released in their own platforms?

I find it so sad and funny at the same time that you mentioned term "skeleton crew". Imagine like there is 5 other people with Miyamoto working on Pikmin over the weekends in his basement.
Nintendo sidelined Miyamoto after Star Fox Zero and forced him to work from his basement with the 6 least liked EPD employees.

Now seriously I wonder what his working at I wonder if it really is a new Pikmin game or just something new.

Reached Chapter 3 in XenoblaDE. Shame about what happens to that character, they were fun to play as.

Random question to people who played Xeno, did you change party lead often? I switched between the 3 available in Chapters 1/2 and found both Fiora and Shulk fun to play as, but Reyn a little weird. Monado mechanics make me think playing as Shulk is almost mandatory tho.

Now seriously I wonder what his working at I wonder if it really is a new Pikmin game or just something new.
I think he just stepped from games and works more like advisor nowadays, he is now in full work on Mario movie but I could see him doing some more Star Fox or IP in the future.

Speaking of Miyamoto, Kanye tried to show his game not only to Reggie but also to Miyamoto himself lol, i lost it!

excuse me while I speak my mind real quick

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I think he just stepped from games and works more like advisor nowadays, he is now in full work on Mario movie but I could see him doing some more Star Fox or IP in the future.

Speaking of Miyamoto, Kanye tried to show his game not only to Reggie but also to Miyamoto himself lol, i lost it!

I wanna see the timeline in which Nintendo would've accepted to make and publish the Kanye game. Maybe, in this timeline, he wouldn't have gone completely off the rails and we would've had the chance to listen to this album :

Jb-LPh2-tnyn-RWi89-Tr4x-Yuccw8k-G7-Grxm-G6-A8-OSx-ABc-jpg.webp

Reality: Promoted by Nintendo Spain official youtube channel
Great to see Nintendo taking it like that and promoting this hommage to WarioWare. I'm kinda looking forward to see how it plays.

Reached Chapter 3 in XenoblaDE. Shame about what happens to that character, they were fun to play as.

Random question to people who played Xeno, did you change party lead often? I switched between the 3 available in Chapters 1/2 and found both Fiora and Shulk fun to play as, but Reyn a little weird. Monado mechanics make me think playing as Shulk is almost mandatory tho.
I mostly played as Shulk my first time, but on replays it’s fun to switch things up. You’ll get some equipment/skills later on that can also counteract some of the stuff you’d normally need the Monado for.

Thank god he doesnt does anything anymore

As for the Sony and SE rumour, i hope it happens just because it would be a shitshow.

Thomas Games Docs has the scoop.

My first playthrough, not a whole lot. I was on Shulk maybe 75% of the time. But I think the game is a lot more fun if you're consistently switching it up. You also get a better feel for everybody's arts meaning you can make better choices regarding which arts to level up.

The vision mechanic does make the game feel like it's pushing you to stick with Shulk but don't let it. Figuring out how to deal with visions without Shulk can get pretty fun and hectic. Even if Shulk is still in your party, you can still warn him. In some ways that's better because warning will automatically fill the warned character's Talent Gauge. Without any sort of class system or similar character-building mechanics beyond skill links and gems, party composition is the main thing you can play around with, and there's no penalty to dying, so have fun with it!

It should be noted, the more characters battle together, they'll also get more affinity with each other. I don't know if you're far enough along to get gem crafting, but party affinity helps with gem crafting so spreading affinity around is helpful. There are two characters I would highly recommend getting max affinity with for gem crafting, Reyn is one of those, it'll be a bit longer before you get the other.

excuse me while I speak my mind real quick

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Not to doompost but industry consolidation seems to have become this unstoppable train and we're just here for the ride trying to find a handlebar to hold onto but some of us manage to find an uncomfortable seat squished between a window and a sweaty guy

FAMIFEED'S BACK ONLINE BABY

Took care of a major bug fix that I found after we released it, during which Famifeed was temporarily down

But it's back

Check out the announcement thread for live updates on bug fixes / feature updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom