• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
like I genuinely do not understand why anyone would make youtube videos and not turn comments off immediately

youtube comments are an insufferable cesspit
I agree, but i for one try to limit myself to videos that arent prone to having terrible comments 😏

NintendoExplained: "Why Nintendo doesn't make any more F-Zero games"

Script in short: "It's not financially viable to produce a game with a fanbase that consists of only 5 people".

Comments: "This is the year F-Zero will finally be announced!" - @Derachi

Script in short: "It's not financially viable to produce a game with a fanbase that consists of only 5 people".

kiryu-desk-slam-kiryu.gif

You only need to have a fanbase of one director/producer in Nintendo case to make a game, Nagoshi Nintendo producer let's goooo

People saying a new F-Zero would flop because there are only 5 fans when it's totally the number of units Famicom Detective Club sold, so there's a world when Mages is developing the next F-zero. Checkmate!

You only need to have a fanbase of one director/producer in Nintendo case to make a game, Nagoshi Nintendo producer let's goooo
Nagoshi made it clear he'd be down to make a new F-Zero, and dude has his own studio now, no longer shackled to Sega. I'm just saying. I'm just saying!!!!

I actively cant imagine a GOOD fzero flopping. That is, unless you think a racing game on switch has to surpass or reach MK8D. In that case, it would be A TREMENDOUS SUCCESS
I think a new F-Zero game selling like, ARMS numbers would be a massive success in Nintendo's eyes.

I think a new F-Zero game selling like, ARMS numbers would be a massive success in Nintendo's eyes.
Indeed. 2,5 million for what was a dead franchise? I think its totally reachable.

Famiboards still wouldnt consider it a success unless it sold like 12 million copies, kinda like its done with arms itself lol.

Last edited:
Does it work? Keep it. You'll figure out the problems with it later as other systems grow around it. It might be perfect for your game. It might be terrible depending on how enemies get tuned, what kind of equipment system you roll with. I highly recommend you read this blog by Dicey Dungeons/Super Hexagon/VVVVVV developer Terry Cavanagh

http://distractionware.com/blog/2020/01/vvvvvv-is-now-open-source/
Yeah, it works for now so I'll keep it. I can always mess around with adding constants to it too if it becomes weird at any point.

That link is way over my head too, I know nothing about coding, my game is fully programmed with UE4 blueprints. I get that it's the same concept as text based programming but to my brain the two concepts are nothing alike for some reason.

I felt an inexplicable itch to check on you lot for the last hour or so, and now I know why.

How dare you talk about F-Zero and not invite me to the party.

What's on the Friday Fami agenda, folks?

I might get a hair cut, then I've got a bunch of life errands and domestic tasks to take care of. And hopefully find the time to complete Pokemon Legends...

I think that with proper marketing and the Switch's userbase, an F-Zero game (remaster or new game, whatever) would easily beat the million mark.

I might get a hair cut, then I've got a bunch of life errands and domestic tasks to take care of. And hopefully find the time to complete Pokemon Legends...

I'm very flattened today by both full work week as well as my first ever gym session yesterday. I'll spend Friday in recovery mode, maybe try to properly get into TWEWY.

Yeah, it works for now so I'll keep it. I can always mess around with adding constants to it too if it becomes weird at any point.

That link is way over my head too, I know nothing about coding, my game is fully programmed with UE4 blueprints. I get that it's the same concept as text based programming but to my brain the two concepts are nothing alike for some reason.
The most important lesson is - dumb working ideas are better than great ideas that don't make it into a game because the game never finished. "Real" game development is ugly and gross and hacky and weird under the hood, so let yourself be the same thing

Trailer for the new GoT show came and went and I haven’t seen or heard much discussion about it.
People kind of forgot about the Game of Thrones.

No, seriously though, none of my friend group have shown any kind of interest in anything GoT after S08.

Lots of airports and plane time (going to be a LONG day), so hopefully some good airborn Switch time. Probably either more Chrono Cross, keep picking away at Murder by Numbers, or some Castlevania Advance Collection

People saying a new F-Zero would flop because there are only 5 fans when it's totally the number of units Famicom Detective Club sold, so there's a world when Mages is developing the next F-zero. Checkmate!
Famiboards insider Amadeus unveils the new F-Zero game : developed by Mages, the title will be named F;Zero

I’ve been thinking about how all three versions of the original Xenoblade are crazy-impressive tech showcases on all three of their respective platforms. Also been thinking about that really strange DF review of Definitive Edition. The comments on the Eurogamer article are something else.

I’ve always hated sitcoms but these came to me in a dream where I was trapped in a room watching the ye olde tv guide channel
  • Everybody Thinks Raymond Is A Piece of Shit
  • A•S•S•H•O•L•E•S
  • Wince & Grimace
  • Malcolm in the Middle of Burning Alive
  • Home Improven’t

I’ve always hated sitcoms but these came to me in a dream where I was trapped in a room watching the ye olde tv guide channel
  • A•S•S•H•O•L•E•S
  • Wince & Grimace
  • Home Improven’t
Married to Children

oh no

What formulas for damage have you been experimenting around with? Are you open to making defense divisive? You'll just need to make sure defense is never zero to avoid returning undefined unless you have some constant added to it in the damage calculation. If nothing else you could always put the resulting damage in a max function so it always deals at least whatever constant you put in the max function. If you're sticking with subtractive defense, you'll have to accept thresholds. Divisive defense will give you that gradual reduction. This will have other effects though as multi-hit attacks won't behave different from single hit attacks with divisive defense, so you have to carefully pick what you want.

Are there buffs and debuffs to your armor/attack power? How do want them to work? Should a move that reduces defense by 50% always make it so you deal 50% more damage to the debuffed enemy?

If you want, give me more details about what you desire from your systems and what you've been trying, then I can try to help you figure something out as someone who is a bit nutty about the numbers side of RPGs.

edit: Here's some very basic formulas to offer an idea
Divisive: Attack * 10 / (10 + Defense) --- Will never fully reach 0 (though can go below 1), can't return undefined even if defense is 0, damage will always be equal to attack power against enemies with no defense. Defense buffs/debuffs could get weird with the constant unless the buff/debuff percentage increase/decrease is applied to the constant as well, that'd have to be ironed out.

Subtractive: Max(1, (Attack - Defense)) --- Simple subtractive formula just wrapped in a max function so you always deal at least one point of damage. May be ideal for very low numbers. This is BotW's damage calculation by the way. One heart is 4HP, you'll always lose a quarter heart no matter your defense.
thank you for this, it’s very helpful!

I mean for my game I’m mostly ripping off the pocket monsters but this does clarify some approaches

• A•S•S•H•O•L•E•S
  • Wince & Grimace
  • Home Improven’t
Boos
The Stale Prince
Family Matters Not
Enemies
Empty House
Home and Boredom
I Hate Lucy
Jerry

My sickness has gone away.

I think that I may have a slight cough and some effects, but that will probably only last a few more hours at best, imho.

In general, if a franchise has a champion and a team, it has shot. Hopefully someone at EPD or other studios exist.

@Amadeus_ a MAGES adventure F-ZERO game going over Capt's younger years sounds neat. In genefral Nintendo should o more FamDec games....

Work took a real turn this week (not in a good way), but will probably be playing switch sports a lot. Also will be making Mrs Able a nice steak dinner.

@Raccoon has me wanting to finish the extra Octo Expansion levels I never completed. This is the best single player experience Nintendo has made on switch I think.
But it's so hard, I bought Octo Expansion in February 2021 or something but I still haven't finished it. I have few hours in and i love it but some levels are just so frustrating to me and it's not like am some Splatoon noob, i put 160+ hours into Splatoon 2.

The virtual absence of EPD10 in the Switch Era is baffling. Their only original game was Mario Maker 2 which isn't the most ressource demanding game they have ever made. Pikmin 3 was porting by Eighting, Big Brain Academy was a collaborative work with Indieszero and EPD4.

I'm starting to think that between the story behind Pikmin 4 and the lack of a new original 2D Mario since 2012-2013, EPD10 struggles a lot.
in the WiiU/3DS era they were behind New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Mario Maker. All of that in the span of 3 years.

i don't even have hopes of them announcing anything next month.

The virtual absence of EPD10 in the Switch Era is baffling. Their only original game was Mario Maker 2 which isn't the most ressource demanding game they have ever made. Pikmin 3 was porting by Eighting, Big Brain Academy was a collaborative work with Indieszero and EPD4.

I'm starting to think that between the story behind Pikmin 4 and the lack of a new original 2D Mario since 2012-2013, EPD10 struggles a lot.
in the WiiU/3DS era they were behind New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Mario Maker. All of that in the span of 3 years.

Some of this is going to be down to where Nintendo are allocating EPD's resources. However, EPD 10's next game has been in the works since late 2019, judging by a hiring call, so it may not be that far off from a reveal or even release.

Don't mind me. I'm just thinking about the fact MS now owns Crash Team Racing and 2/3s of Diddy Kong Racing, and how a racing cross over amongst Crash, Banjo, Spyro, Conker, Timber, and the rest of their respective casts could actually happen now. 👀

And who knows, maybe they can port it over to a Nintendo console and give us Diddy and Donkey Kong as guest characters.

Am sure we will see their next take on 2D Mario sometime this generation, it would be a shame if we saw only MM2 from them on Switch. Same goes with EPD8, I thought that Odyssey sequel is a no brainer but in 2022 it seems like they are trying something new as Bowsers Fury showed. And in closing I would be really surprised if we will don't get another original game from EPD9 but maybe they are fully focused on Mario Kart for next gen, with some members remastering courses for Booster Course Pass.

I’ve been thinking about how all three versions of the original Xenoblade are crazy-impressive tech showcases on all three of their respective platforms. Also been thinking about that really strange DF review of Definitive Edition. The comments on the Eurogamer article are something else.
What was strange about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom