• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
You done? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
My thoughts are
a mishmash of metaphysics. 🤣
No joke, when I was done with the game I went out to Sonic The Burgerhog, ordered a Reeses Blast, and sat on the edge of the parking lot for an hour watching traffic go by and reading up on all the supplemental lore because I was equal parts enthralled and confused. Some of the stuff the Red Girls said had me thinking the androids were actually created by the machines and that everything was a ruse?? But I misunderstood, apparently the ruse was that the machines were deliberately prolonging the war by not wiping everyone out, so they could collect enough combat data to foster their own evolution (and the part about the humans being long dead and the androids being tricked about it for sake of "morale" was, in fact, done by the androids themselves). Even Pascal's village was an experiment by the machines to see what would happen if they were disconnected from the network and allowed to evolve on their own. The fact that what happened in the absence of the machines network (much like with the absence of humans for the androids) was eventual sentience and a desire for peace and tranquility, is an incredible theme to uphold. And the damage came from the hubris of the command on either side, androids and machines both. Because of the meddling of the entities moving the chess pieces, all my favorite secondary characters of both species died. Painfully. And that is not zesty.

And all of this, all of this taking place in the haunting setting of the city ruins, a place that really felt like an old world being reclaimed by the earth, really drives home that feeling that we're looking at an earth that lives and moves on past humans. Especially now that even the pods are becoming aware and ex[e]rcising choice, after a whole game spent slowly realizing the self-awareness of the machines, it gives this weird sort of hope that even the wake of so much death the very concept of life and consciousness will continue in many forms (Ian Malcolm would be proud). Even though we were gone, the things we created took on lives of their own, both figuratively and literally. Earth's primary native inhabitants are now androids, which won't seem so unnatural if you consider that we're also just really advanced machines of a different material. In time their societies will look at their circuitry and systems in the same way we look at our organs and nerves, as being naturally occurring, after the stories of then being "created" fall into mere legend. It's not like the stuff the androids were built from wasn't native to earth (as far as I know, anyway. I have yet to play Replicant), so they have every right to be considered "natural" life forms of the planet.

Also the flight units were rad as fuck

Man, you really hauled ass through that game (not that I blame you, it's so good).
Kinda..? I had a hard time for a while wrapping my head around a lot of the systems and navigation and stuff, and I was not super dextrous during fighting for a long while so I died a lot, so Route A probably took me about a month and a half or so to get through. I was also doing a lot of sidequests (once I got the hair bow from one I became very interested in doing quests, hoping for more accessories 😅), and taking my time exploring the land. But once that was done, Route B was a cinch (I wasn't concerned with exploring/quests, and most of the boss fights were removed) that I burned through in.. I think two days? And by then I was so comfortable with the combat that I was seeking fights for fun and ended up probably overleveled, because by the time I started Route C I was burning through enemies and bosses incredibly fast without hardly needing to take a healing consumable.

So ass was really only hauled for like, this week. 🤣 Which is nutty in contrast to how slowly I was moving through it last month.

This is one of those weird things that's only a hot take because there's a super vocal hatedom for the film. Like, it has an 84 on Metacritic and a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics, who could get past it being an unconventional Star Wars film that dared to shake things up with the series, almost universally loved the film. But Star Wars superfans couldn't, and because they're the ones who are still really loud about it online, they're doing their best to make it seem like it was something that basically everyone rejected, like The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones.

It also didn't help that the following film almost literally threw everything it tried to start under the bus, so there was no hope of the film making more sense in retrospect as part of a complete trilogy, as middle parts of trilogies often do.
The sequels honestly suffered from never being under a single creative vision. While I'm not a huge fan of JJ Abram's films, even just sticking the entire sequel trilogy under him could've probably led to a better received series (like, maybe he would've had time to explain his plot twists). Sticking everything under Rian could've led to a very interesting and potentially excellent take on the Star Wars IP, which is something Last Jedi hints at but is ultimately shackled by being the middle entry in a series the director had no control over. But having the mix of both is what probably doomed the trilogy to its current perception.

But in general my biggest criticism of modern Star Wars is that they're playing it way too safe, and Last Jedi and (to a lesser extent) the Mandalorian show that it excels most when it's doing the opposite. Hopefully whatever they're doing with the High Republic era switches things up because honestly this tiny section of Galactic History has basically been done to death (still somewhat excited for the Ahsoka show though, since that might also bring new things into the fold if it follows up on plot threads from Rebels and the Thrawn novels)

The end part of Pokemon Legends main story feels like a slog to me. These long cut scenes don't help.

The game has been... fine, I guess, but I'm not wildly enamored with it. The real time gameplay could make a big positive improvement to the main games though. I hope the next gen turns out well.
It's weird seeing you post in a different time zone now, haha

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine​

... What do you mean, it's not called Ovomaltine where you live ?

I prefer real chocolate, if at all.
Never got what someone liked about that stuff.
The maltiness really bring some good flavors, a bit of cereals and even honey. And since there's no added sugar, it's a bit healthier than the usual powdered hot cocoa. But it's definitely divisive, and I get why some don't like it.

imagine if NLG is forever stuck with Luigi's Mansion and Strikers
Fr that scares me.

Well im sure NLG will do more luigi's mansion and i enjoy that, luigi's mansion is cinematic, takes hold of the switch's power and etc. But i dont want them to become yet another mario spin off factory like camelot or ndcube.

They seem happy in doing just that tho sadly.

I do hope they manage to get a hold on a ip that (1) isnt mario 2 (has preferably beem ded) so an ice climbers reboot lul

Last edited:
Going to go see Multiverse of Madness today. I swear, if I get spoiled in these last three hours…
Yes, I really hope no one spoils you the fun of seeing Dr. Strange team up with the other doctors found in the multiverse. Seeing Dr. Mario in a Marvel movie really surprised me.

Fr that scares me.

Well im sure NLG will do more luigi's mansion and i enjoy that, luigi's mansion is cinematic, takes hold of the switch's power and etc. But i dont want them to become yet another mario spin off factory like camelot or ndcube.

They seem happy in doing just that tho sadly.

I do hope they manage to get a hold on a ip that (1) isnt mario 2 (has preferably beem ded) so an ice climbers reboot lul
...What is NLG?

I prefer Nesquik, tbh.
I used to drink that as a kid and loved it. Then I grew up and realized powdered chocolate milk is actually gross, and now when I want chocolate milk it’s Hershey’s syrup.

Mario Golf 64’s characters just being objectively better as they go is kind of lame.

Like there’s no reason to use any character but the one with the longest drive.

Looking at some Wii-era Nintendo games and... Barrel Blast gotta have the worst core mechanic in a Nintendo-published game, no?

Great fanservice for DK fans though; and for that, I'll put Paon in high regard amongst the studios that worked with the IP. I can endure Barrel Blast gameplay just because of how much love they injected in every tiny detail;

In fact, in some aspects I prefer their take on the series than Retro's

I think ill never forget that one person in nintendoeverything was angry that retro hired a swedish art director and that money would be better used for monolith and that retro was just using time and resources for nothing.

Great fanservice for DK fans though; and for that, I'll put Paon in high regard amongst the studios that worked with the IP. I can endure Barrel Blast gameplay just because of how much love they injected in every tiny detail;

In fact, in some aspects I prefer their take on the series than Retro's

I like King of Swing and Jungle Climber quite a bit but Barrel Blast is... rough. It could have been a pretty decent racer if they hadn't set out to make one with fake bongo controls but alas.

Barrel Blast's initial idea of merging a rhythm game with a racing game sounded really cool, it's a shame that the end product wasn't great and now nobody will ever try to revive the concept.

What do you tell a 4 year old when the only pet they've ever known who's been there since before she was born is getting to the end of his life?

Brought to you by Sad Thoughts Saturday.

Barrel Blast was.. just not fun. It's got to be one of the worst Nintendo games I've ever played. What worse is we got that instead of Rare's Diddy kong Racing followup.

Come think of it, it should rank pretty high on my list of worst Nintendo games ever list.

My list should look like this (excluding edutaintment/CDi games)
10. Hey Pikmin
9. Animal Crossing Amiibo Party
8. Mario Party Star Rush
7. Mario Sports Superstars
6. Chibi Robo Ziplash
5. Yoshi Topsy Turvy
4. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
3. FlingSmash
2. Urban Champion
1. Wii Music

Dishonorable mentions: Wario Master of Disguise, Yoshi Touch & Go, Mario Party Advance, Wii Play, LoZ Triforce Heroes, Pokémon Dash, Hey You Pikachu

Barrel Blast was.. just not fun. It's got to be one of the worst Nintendo games I've ever played. What worse is we got that instead of Rare's Diddy kong Racing followup.

Come think of it, it should rank pretty high on my list of worst Nintendo games ever list.

10. Hey Pikmin
8. Mario Party Star Rush
6. Chibi Robo Ziplash
5. Yoshi Topsy Turvy
3. FlingSmash
2. Urban Champion
1. Wii Music

Dishonorable mentions: Wario Master of Disguise, Yoshi Touch & Go, Mario Party Advance, Wii Play, LoZ Triforce Heroes, Pokémon Dash, Hey You Pikachu
Curious why Hey! Pikmin is on there. Playing through it now and I think it’s really good take on the formula and merging it with a 2D platformer.

Curious why Hey! Pikmin is on there. Playing through it now and I think it’s really good take on the formula and merging it with a 2D platformer.
It's pretty bland compared to all the other Nintendo 2D platformers and super short. Don't forget, these are the worst Nintendo games, they're still above actual bad games.

10. Hey Pikmin
8. Mario Party Star Rush
6. Chibi Robo Ziplash
5. Yoshi Topsy Turvy
3. FlingSmash
2. Urban Champion
1. Wii Music

Why do you play so many bad games?

For me, games are not just about the playing experience.. that certainly an important factor, but I can put through a bad gameplay if there are other fundamental aspects that pleases me;

And Barrel Blast for sure ticks many of those of my list. You can play as a Kopter for Xananab sake!

I took my wii out of its dusty box to play Pandora's Tower again and it was worth the sneeze

10. Hey Pikmin
8. Mario Party Star Rush
6. Chibi Robo Ziplash
5. Yoshi Topsy Turvy
3. FlingSmash
2. Urban Champion
1. Wii Music

Wii Music is good you old fart

10. Hey Pikmin
8. Mario Party Star Rush
6. Chibi Robo Ziplash
5. Yoshi Topsy Turvy
3. FlingSmash
2. Urban Champion
1. Wii Music

Flingash at least netted you a Wii Remote plus and Wii Plsy a Wii Remote. Can forgive them for being not the best. Triforce Heroes is legitimately good, especially if you ola it as a single player puzzle style game (or have actual competent partners which was a rarity online). But most of these weren’t great as you said.

Happy weekend everyone. It’s supposed to rain all week, so perfect time to sit inside and play some games. Will be doing Switch Sports for sure and probably trying to complete the rest of the Kirby challenges I can.

Wii Play was my "Wii Sports" experience with my family; -- I got my Wii with 3 games: Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii and Sonic and the Secret Rings; needless to say I've spent a lot of time with all of them.. (finished 100% Secret Rings...); They were my only games for months!

And my family liked to play the likes of Table Tennis and (my father especially) billiards in Wii Play; that was the only time I had my mom and dad playing video games with me; It's a special game for me because of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom