• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actually understand how to upload files to GitHub. It's hecka confusing for someone who knows nothing about coding.
Get an account, download their Git client, connect it up to your account, make a repository, clone the repository onto your PC, copy the build output to the repository, mark the files for inclusion in the repository via the client, commit your files to the repository, then push your local repository state to GitHub via their client.

I think that’s the general gist of it

Get an account, download their Git client, connect it up to your account, make a repository, clone the repository onto your PC, copy the build output to the repository, mark the files for inclusion in the repository via the client, commit your files to the repository, then push your local repository state to GitHub via their client.

I think that’s the general gist of it
I understand most of those words. I have an account and made a repository but I'm not sure how to do the rest, I'll have to give it a closer look in the morning.

I don't actually understand how to upload files to GitHub. It's hecka confusing for someone who knows nothing about coding.
What kind of operating system do you use? Windows / MacOS / Linux? Do you know how to use the terminal?

Git is a command-line tool that works entirely from your computer inside your project folder, and you can utilize it fully without involving GitHub if you want.

GitHub is an "extension" of git, a remote hub where you can push and pull your code changes. GitHub is best for sharing and collaborating with others on your code.

The first thing I tell anyone picking up git is to understand that git doesn't track the state of your code, it tracks changes to your code. You can think of each commit as a "snapshot", but remember that it's not a snapshot of your entire project, it's a snapshot of only the changes since your previous snapshot.

Sorry for the overload, I've been using git for many years and it's the number one most powerful tool in my arsenal, by far.

I understand most of those words. I have an account and made a repository but I'm not sure how to do the rest, I'll have to give it a closer look in the morning.

I had mentioned using the command line version of git, but @shoptroll's recommendation of using the client is a better idea if you're unfamiliar with your command line.

@Skittzo you intend to just publish an executable right? If so you can use the "Create a new release" feature and it should have a space for uploading

If you intend to use the code tracking features of Git there's some setup and some studies to be made, but GitHub allows you to just to upload stuff too, directly from the website

To any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fans, was Super Mystery Dungeon a good game? I am deciding whether to buy it or not before the 3DS eshop goes down.

Imagine a Starfox game co-developed by Treasure and EPD.
The budget and polish of something like Metroid Dread, combined with the sheer glorious insanity of games like Sin & Punishment 1/2 or Ikaruga. I'd be there day freaking zero.
Also, possibly hot take; Sin & Punishment Star Successor was, for me at least, sort of the best Starfox game since 64, or at least what I'd love to see the IP evolve into. It really showed how much can be done with a 3D rail shooter given enough imagination, with no need for gimmicks or trying to turn the franchise into something it's not.

Actually, you know what else would be cool? Shinen doing their take on a Starfox game like they did for F-Zero with Fast Racing Neo/RMX. They've already made some really fun arcade shooters like Iridion 1/2 on the GBA, Nanostray 1/2 on DS, and the Nano Assault games on Wii U/3DS.
I reckon they could make an awesome totally-not-Starfox, and knowing them it would look gorgeous and run at a locked 60fps too.

I finished the main story of Xenoblade Chronicles DE today. I was not expecting the story to turn the way it did. I love the Xenoblade series, especially the world building. I hope they bring XCX to the switch some day.

still fascinating to me that a team who worked on a Nintendo exclusive game is releasing its next game on every platform but the switch.. and it's even more fascinating when the game is looking graphically on par with their previous work.... yeah I'm talking to you Atlus and Soul Hackers 2!!

@shoptroll @bellydrum @undefined well just realized the file size limit is 100MB which won't work for me since this demo is a bit under 2GB, so I'll have to find another way. I'll check out the git large file storage tomorrow I guess.
Hmm I think it's because the main area is usually just for source code or assets, so the limits are small there

I think what you're looking for is the "releases" feature, it's more suitable for executables, and it should allow up to 2gb per file

I don't work with games though so I dunno if there's some big source code files, and if so then you would need to setup Git LFS to track them

Last edited:
@shoptroll @bellydrum @undefined well just realized the file size limit is 100MB which won't work for me since this demo is a bit under 2GB, so I'll have to find another way. I'll check out the git large file storage tomorrow I guess.

Yeah, I'm guessing there are a bunch of boilerplate files you wouldn't need to commit and push to GitHub. I don't actually know the ideal way to "share" games in development.

To any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fans, was Super Mystery Dungeon a good game? I am deciding whether to buy it or not before the 3DS eshop goes down.
Jeremy Parish said it was the best of the series on the recent Retronauts episode about the eshop closure. I would trust his opinion on mystery dungeon games since he has a lot of experience covering the genre. Haven’t played the game myself though.

Yes. Best entry in the series as it really is a best of love letter to the series. It’s quite meaty as well.

And if you like the series, for sure get the Switch remake If the original. And don’t sleep on Shiren either.

Hmm I think it's because the main area is usually just for source code or assets, so the limits are small there

I think what you're looking for is the "releases" feature, it's more suitable for executables, and it should allow up to 2gb per file

I don't work with games though so I dunno if there's some big source code files, and if so then you would need to setup Git LFS to track them
UE4 which is what I'm using packages and "cooks" the source files into a compressed pak file from what I can tell, so in actuality the build only has like 60-70 individual files, most of which are various text files. The total folder for my build is 2gb so yeah this should be able to handle that easily, I just need to figure out how to actually upload it.

Thanks for finding this!

Alternatively I might look into putting it on itch.io

Jeremy Parish said it was the best of the series on the recent Retronauts episode about the eshop closure. I would trust his opinion on mystery dungeon games since he has a lot of experience covering the genre. Haven’t played the game myself though.
I completely forgot they did an episode on that. I will go and give that a listen when I can, I trust Jeremy’s opinion as well and if he says the game is good then I am sure it is. Thanks for the reply and for reminding me about the podcast episode.
Yes. Best entry in the series as it really is a best of love letter to the series. It’s quite meaty as well.
Thanks for the reply, I guess I better set aside some time to play and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I’m considering grabbing Darksiders 3 while it’s on sale. The performance looks mostly fine for the reviews around the release, but has it ever been patched?

And if you like the series, for sure get the Switch remake If the original. And don’t sleep on Shiren either.
Guess I might have to get this too then.

I think I’m going to resub to Crunchyroll. I haven’t watched really any anime since Kill la Kill.
Time to watch Birdie wing(one of the biggest surprises of the current season), Dress up Darling, Love after world domination, Miss Kuroitsu from monster development, life with an ordinary guy who reincarnated as a fantasy knockout, and Healer Girl. Then. Some recent show suggestions from me. Sadly Rumble Garanndoll hasn’t made it over yet

Edit: Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy is another fun one getting dubbed right now. I’ve been enjoying Trapped in a dating sim but part of the setup is the world is a really poorly written hyped up Otome game from a team that doesn’t do Otome games. Main character is a gleeful golden hearted but mildly vengeful type

Boys Meet World is my favorite anime

topanga-bensavage.gif

I was hoping to go watch Everything Everywhere All At Once tonight but I am definitely not well enough to do that.

Any other Fami folk seen it? And do any other Fami folk take themselves out for solo cinema trips?
Yes, one of the best movies I've seen in years

I’m personally looking forward to learning a little more about Pokémon SVU

I want Star Fox to come back so badly. It’s low key one of my favorite video game series, I love Cube-era StarFox the best (Adventures and Assault)
I stand by Adventures being one of my favourite Zelda games. Dinosaurs, voice acting, realistic graphics, collectibles, cohesive and well thought out dungeons isn't this what all true warriors strive for?

Chalk it up to another wish for the Gamecube NSO because seeing this game get remade is so far down the ladder we're gonna see a rerelease of Super Mario 3D All Stars for the 50th anniversary sooner
HOLY SHIT VANGELIS DIED AND NOBODY TOLD ME?????? WTF
Honestly I was surprised by the number of musicians I recognized having claimed he was a huge influence to their work. Gonna have to spin Chariots of Fire on my turntable tomorrow

I stand by Adventures being one of my favourite Zelda games. Dinosaurs, voice acting, realistic graphics, collectibles, cohesive and well thought out dungeons isn't this what all true warriors strive for?

Chalk it up to another wish for the Gamecube NSO because seeing this game get remade is so far down the ladder we're gonna see a rerelease of Super Mario 3D All Stars for the 50th anniversary sooner

Honestly I was surprised by the number of musicians I recognized having claimed he was a huge influence to their work. Gonna have to spin Chariots of Fire on my turntable tomorrow
Also blade runner

So… that TURN BASED One Piece Odyssey game is not coming to Switch…. Like c’mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom