• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Kensuke Tanabe's supervision, Next Level Games could easily make a game like DKC Tropical Freeze.

Nothing about Tropical Freeze makes me think: "Only Retro Studios would know how to make a game like this".
I actually think I would've like Tropical Freeze more if it came from NLG. Their games tend to be better balanced and they wouldn't have put these long-ass bosses fights that you have to restart from the beginning if you die, which kinda killed the game for me

Next Level Games is incredibly talented and diverse. I just hope Nintendo fully understands this and doesn't turn them into a Mario spin-off studio.

Nintendo should use their talents to make a Metroid spin off. I'm sure fans will fully support that. Wait a minute...

Next Level Games is incredibly talented and diverse. I just hope Nintendo fully understands this and doesn't turn them into a Mario spin-off studio.
Nah. They didn't buy them to put them on any kind of new IP or creative venture. It's going to be Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Strikers, Luigi's Mansion. Even well after we've moved past the mansion!

With NLG doing Strikers, I wonder if their next game is just Luigi's Mansion 4 for next-gen hardware. Series sold very well and that's great but it would be shame if this studio only becomes Luigi's Mansion machine and Mario spinoffs for each generation.

Last edited:
With NLG doing Strikers, I wonder if they next game is just Luigi's Mansion 4 for next-gen hardware. Series sold very well and that's great but it would be shame if this studio only becomes Luigi's Mansion machine and Mario spinoffs for each generation.
Given their experience in animation and lighting I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Nintendo would give them some kind of a more story-focused Mario game (like an RPG or something) if the movie is a success

With NLG doing Strikers, I wonder if they next game is just Luigi's Mansion 4 for next-gen hardware. Series sold very well and that's great but it would be shame if this studio only becomes Luigi's Mansion machine and Mario spinoffs for each generation.
I think LM4 is next from them (and maybe already being worked on), but I don’t think another strikers would come so soon after THAT. Hopefully they can squeeze something new in, and I’m also hoping they can continue growing and maybe do multiple projects at once

Luigi's Cruise Ship
1200px-Daisy_Cruiser.png

It could be more or less his if he'd just put a ring on that finger already.

I've had thoughts about Luigi's Mansion becoming a 3D Metroidvania going forward... what are your thoughts on a Metroidvania Luigi's Mansion?
Yeah I think that's the logical conclusion for the series myself. Would hopefully still retain some of it's RE influence (considering those are kind of Metroidvanias already).

All this talk of Nintendo's 'non-Nintendo' development teams/partners has me a bit sad that, outside of Xenoblade (which isn't exactly the most mainstream franchise out there), none of them are really not getting the chance to make new IPs and 'branch out' from the Nintendo mould. Monolith Soft is really the only exception but, whilst the Xenoblade games are great, they're not exactly placed as 'mainstream' titles in the way, say, new Sony or Microsoft IPs like Ghost of Tshushima or Sea of Thieves often are.

As such, here's a nuclear take: If given the choice, I'd have taken a new big-budget IP from Retro over Metroid Prime 4, and I'd say the same for NLG w/ Luigi's Mansion 3.

I dont want to see Luigi's Mansion going on decade long hiatuses. lol

LM4 in 2025/2026 would be pretty exciting to see.

I actually think I would've like Tropical Freeze more if it came from NLG. Their games tend to be better balanced and they wouldn't have put these long-ass bosses fights that you have to restart from the beginning if you die, which kinda killed the game for me
Yeah, those boss fights were easily the worst part of Tropical Freeze lol. Its been years since I've played it, but I remember having a LOT of trouble with the fourth boss (the pufferfish) in particular. It'd be interesting to see what a NLG-developed DK would look like for sure. Especially a 3d one.

I've had thoughts about Luigi's Mansion becoming a 3D Metroidvania going forward... what are your thoughts on a Metroidvania Luigi's Mansion?
I think LM4 can do a big shakeup. This may be controversial, but I don’t think Luigi’s Mansion NEEDS to center around the vacuum.

Honestly the thing that keeps me from finishing LM3 is that Luigi doesn’t feel super fun to control, don’t know if anyone else felt that too.

But yeah an overhaul of his abilities could be fun, and a Metroidvania where he’s constantly acquiring new traversal options could help with that

All this talk of Nintendo's 'non-Nintendo' development teams/partners has me a bit sad that, outside of Xenoblade (which isn't exactly the most mainstream franchise out there), none of them are really not getting the chance to make new IPs and 'branch out' from the Nintendo mould. Monolith Soft is really the only exception but, whilst the Xenoblade games are great, they're not exactly placed as 'mainstream' titles in the way, say, new Sony or Microsoft IPs like Ghost of Tshushima or Sea of Thieves often are.

As such, here's a nuclear take: If given the choice, I'd have taken a new big-budget IP from Retro over Metroid Prime 4, and I'd say the same for NLG w/ Luigi's Mansion 3.

I mean based on the rumors, Retro allegedly was given the chance to make a new IP after Tropical Freeze. (Wasn't it also rumored David Wise was composing it?) They just spectacularly failed at it causing years of work to go down the drain.

I can't see Nintendo ever letting them have another shot at that with the way the studio has been. Maybe NLG gets a shot sometime though?

My take on this is weird too, being that I would openly welcome new single player IPs from Nintendo’s studios, but I love their existing franchises so much so I ALSO want those to continue being iterated on. Feels like the only solution to that is nintendo massively expanding.

I also think their mindset is pretty different from Sony’s in particular. Sony will have a bunch of different IPs that fall under the same action adventure singe player genre. Aside from 2D platformers, I don’t think Nintendo likes to do that. I think in general if they do a new IP, it’s because it’s a genre one of their other franchises don’t cover. Splatoon, ARMS and Ring Fit are all examples of this.

They’re just at a different stage where their IPs are way more beloved and established than Sony’s so the question becomes “why pour money into an unproven new open world adventure when we can just make the next Zelda instead and it’ll likely do way way better?”

NLG is consistantly putting out Nintendo games at a good pace and outside of Federation Force - They've been very well received by both fans and critics.
LM4 is most certainly already in development but hopefully, with Nintendo acquiring them I hope they can expand a bit and be able to joggle 2 projects at once.

But if they're able to release a quality title every 3 years that's probably good enough =)

Hoping they bring back Punch Out

And NES-NSO save data is 65 MB? How the fuck? The NES cartridges weren't even a MB in size and there was only 2kB of RAM so save states can't amount to much. And I've only played about a half dozen games.
Save states that have rewind data are many multiple time the size of the existing RAM. 2k of RAM + CPU/PPU/Ricoh state every frame, means that uncompressed a save state is about a MB/second of rewind.

Anyone think of how it's nice we are getting some new 1st party sports IP back between Mario Strikers and Switch Sports?

I kinda hope that they've been digging into their back catalog and give us some new racing games while Mario Kart is on break.

God, I can't wait for BOTW2 to get a 2022 release date at E3 so people can stop constantly saying it's gonna be delayed for no apparent reason.
Folks will keep saying that until the game is running safely on their Switch :p . Can't blame Zelda fans after having dealt with delays so often but the endless pessimism is starting to grate on me a little.

Maybe it’s just me but I have a hard time getting over just how successful Luigi’s Mansion as a series has become

That quirky Gamecube Launch title most of us were sad wasnt a Mario platformer that could have easily died there, never got a sequel and probably wouldn’t have been all that shocking if it hadn’t is now a 11m+ sales juggernaut

Like imagine if Nintendo made a sequel to Chibi-Robo or something and it just randomly sold 15 million copies
Time has been good to a lot of the GameCube titles. People don’t complain about WW’s graphics these days. LM is a bona fide franchise now. Pikmin has a 4th game in the works supposedly. Hell even Sunshine has its defenders these days.

Chibi Robo absolutely could connect with an audience at this point given the right genre and developer.

Luigi's Cruise Ship
Too soon.

I mean based on the rumors, Retro allegedly was given the chance to make a new IP after Tropical Freeze. (Wasn't it also rumored David Wise was composing it?) They just spectacularly failed at it causing years of work to go down the drain.

I can't see Nintendo ever letting them have another shot at that with the way the studio has been. Maybe NLG gets a shot sometime though?
I do know those rumours but tbh I'm more willing to blame Nintendo for the failure of that game than Retro themselves - especially considering how controlling Nintendo tends to be with their developers.

I can't see how the people who revolutionised Metroid and arguably bested Rare in the 2D platformer space could seemingly fail so badly on their own that years of work had to go down the drain. I can see an otherwise talented developer finding themselves in a lose-lose situation where their pre-existing management problems mixed in with a lack of support from higher-ups and roadblocks caused by "not fitting with Nintendo's vision."

Like, when you put it into perspective; Nintendo has only put out two* new in-house, non-casual, major IPs in the past 20 years - ARMS and Splatoon**. It must have been an incredibly difficult task trying to make another one - especially when Retro was probably not wanting to make a game akin to ARMS and Splatoon (i.e. multiplayer-focused cartoon-styled titles with lots of franchise potential).

*Arguably Xenoblade as well, but I'm not classing a franchise that wasn't originally meant to even see a world-wide release as "major."
**I'd also add here that ARMs is probably a dead franchise, and Splatoon is only at 3 entries and is already in the "yeah this probably needs a bit of a shakeup," phase for me lol

My take on this is weird too, being that I would openly welcome new single player IPs from Nintendo’s studios, but I love their existing franchises so much so I ALSO want those to continue being iterated on. Feels like the only solution to that is nintendo massively expanding.

I also think their mindset is pretty different from Sony’s in particular. Sony will have a bunch of different IPs that fall under the same action adventure singe player genre. Aside from 2D platformers, I don’t think Nintendo likes to do that. I think in general if they do a new IP, it’s because it’s a genre one of their other franchises don’t cover. Splatoon, ARMS and Ring Fit are all examples of this.

They’re just at a different stage where their IPs are way more beloved and established than Sony’s so the question becomes “why pour money into an unproven new open world adventure when we can just make the next Zelda instead and it’ll likely do way way better?”
Eh, I think your take on Sony's IPs is kinda 'Nintendo fanboyish' lol, but I'll leave it there since you do have a point all around :p

Sony's IPs tend to be based on specific stories and, as such, they kind of have a 'shelf-life' Meanwhile all of Nintendo's IPs can potentially go on forever - and they, generally, have gameplay experiences that can't be found elsewhere.

However I do think that this represents a failure on Nintendo's part - whether it be a failure to create natural growth, or a failure in vision from higher-ups. For a company as large as them it shouldn't be an 'either or' whether an incredibly talented dev like NLG can make a creative, unique new IP or... Mario Strikers 3. There should be enough resources and support there to balance them out - especially since the individual titles very likely don't have the same budgets as a Last of Us or Horizon Zero Dawn does (this ain't a dig on those titles but, I mean, come on lol).

I don't know - I do want to see more titles released in Nintendo's franchises, but I don't want to see an overall lack of creativity where every generation is just an assorted selection of takes on the same small IP pool. They can do differently - as pretty much the entirety of their pre-Wii years shows - they're just... not doing that. It's working financially, for sure, but it's also not the most exciting thing in the world for me.

Last edited:
Next Level should make Walugi’s Motel or something. Basically steal that plot from that Toy Story special where the iguana takes the toys and the owner sells them on eBay. I think they could do some cool stuff as a stealth game.

I’m also dead serious about this.

Anyone think of how it's nice we are getting some new 1st party sports IP back between Mario Strikers and Switch Sports?

I kinda hope that they've been digging into their back catalog and give us some new racing games while Mario Kart is on break.

Both of those games are great to have for the system. Hopefully we get baseball.

As for racing, I'd love to get a Wave Race, Diddy Kong Racing, or 1080 game.

I distinctly remember an interview with Bryce Holliday where he said that he wants to work on Luigi's Mansion forever lol

The reason given for why Luigi's Mansion 3 received multiplayer DLC instead of a story expansion was that Next-Level just wanted to make multiplayer content again, both for pragmatic (development) and creative reasons. Wouldn't be surprising if Strikers is the result of the same drive.

You know what nintendo ip would fit perfectly with NLG? StarTropics.
I suggested StarTopics as the name for this forum (and then it got adopted as a name for OTs) precisely in order to remind Nintendo that the franchise exists.

Luigi's Mansion 3 had so many bizarre and imaginative themed areas for what was allegedly a hotel. Almost to the point where it felt like they had so many ideas that they were afraid they'd never get another shot at trying with a LM game, so they crammed them in there too.

Jokes on them I guess lol

I do know those rumours but tbh I'm more willing to blame Nintendo for the failure of that game than Retro themselves - especially considering how controlling Nintendo tends to be with their developers.

I can't see how the people who revolutionised Metroid and arguably bested Rare in the 2D platformer space could seemingly fail so badly on their own that years of work had to go down the drain. I can see an otherwise talented developer finding themselves in a lose-lose situation where their pre-existing management problems mixed in with a lack of support from higher-ups and roadblocks caused by "not fitting with Nintendo's vision."

Like, when you put it into perspective; Nintendo has only put out two* new in-house, non-casual, major IPs in the past 20 years - ARMS and Splatoon**. It must have been an incredibly difficult task trying to make another one - especially when Retro was probably not wanting to make a game akin to ARMS and Splatoon (i.e. multiplayer-focused cartoon-styled titles with lots of franchise potential).

*Arguably Xenoblade as well, but I'm not classing a franchise that wasn't originally meant to even see a world-wide release as "major."
**I'd also add here that ARMs is probably a dead franchise, and Splatoon is only at 3 entries and is already in the "yeah this probably needs a bit of a shakeup," phase for me lol

Eh, I think your take on Sony's IPs is kinda 'Nintendo fanboyish' lol, but I'll leave it there since you do have a point all around :p

Sony's IPs tend to be based on specific stories and, as such, they kind of have a 'shelf-life' Meanwhile all of Nintendo's IPs can potentially go on forever - and they, generally, have gameplay experiences that can't be found elsewhere.

However I do think that this represents a failure on Nintendo's part - whether it be a failure to create natural growth, or a failure in vision from higher-ups. For a company as large as them it shouldn't be an 'either or' whether an incredibly talented dev like NLG can make a creative, unique new IP or... Mario Strikers 3. There should be enough resources and support there to balance them out - especially since the individual titles very likely don't have the same budgets as a Last of Us or Horizon Zero Dawn does (this ain't a dig on those titles but, I mean, come on lol).

I don't know - I do want to see more titles released in Nintendo's franchises, but I don't want to see an overall lack of creativity where every generation is just an assorted selection of takes on the same small IP pool. They can do differently - as pretty much the entirety of their pre-Wii years shows - they're just... not doing that. It's working financially, for sure, but it's also not the most exciting thing in the world for me.
I mean it wasn’t intended to be fanboyish, it’s a fact. Like you said, they’re story focused. So Sony doesn’t mind having most of their biggest IPs be in the same genre gameplay-wise. I’m not calling Sony’s approach wrong, it’s just different from Nintendo’s, which is very “this IP covers this gameplay style for us”

I agree with everything else though, I think the solution is just that they need to expand. Not necessarily buying other studios, but expanding the ones they have to be able to take on multiple projects

Before I played Luigi's Mansion 3 I thought that Luigi's Mansion 4 could be Luigi's Museum, but then Next Level are like "lol pyramid and dinosaur go brrr in Luigi's Mansion 3 lol". They made my idea functionally irrelevant a whole game early.

I do quite like Nintendo's approach to IP (and much prefer it to Sony's). I think it's impressive how they're able to (more often than not) successfully adapt their existing franchises into new experiences. I wouldn't say no to new IPs of course (Splatoon was da bomb), but gameplay innovation is way more important to me.

Who knows what happened at Retro to even make such statements. The only thing we can glean is something happened to whatever game they made. Considering Nintendo can be pretty hands-off at times I don’t think this narrative of Nintendo being ultra controlling is true. Nor do I think they found a lack of support because it didn’t fit Nintendo’s vision, whatever that means, or speculating on management problems with no evidence is a good thing. See Project Hammer as a thing that absolutely should had the reigns taken over earlier or Spangenberg Retro. And, this sort of stuff happens all the time to developers: Bethesda, BioWare, Rare, Factor 5, etc.

Firs I’m really confused as to why the ultra specific distinction. It makes no sense to go that specific because it absolutely cuts out all the ip they have made over the years. I also don’t think it was some herculean task to get something like Arms or Splatoon made. Considering it seems to be in the devs/studios hands at the time as seen with the ever so infamous “Fuck DK” incident. Who even knows what Retro was doing all this time to even make such a statement on that, they could have been or not.
  1. Xenoblade Is very much is a new ip regardless of being released worldwide, which the only place it seemingly wasn’t was NOA; seemingly indicating NOA as the problem here
  2. Who knows if Arms is a dead franchise or not. Who even knows if Yabuki is gonna make another new ip. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets to make another though do to his passion and the game selling pretty well.
  3. What exactly would you do the shake up Splatoon. Outside of just making it a live service game forever as the only major shakeup that it could do

However I do think that this represents a failure on Nintendo's part - whether it be a failure to create natural growth, or a failure in vision from higher-ups. For a company as large as them it shouldn't be an 'either or' whether an incredibly talented dev like NLG can make a creative, unique new IP or... Mario Strikers 3. There should be enough resources there to balance them out - especially since the individual titles likely don't have the same budgets as a Last of Us or Horizon Zero Dawn does (this ain't a dig on those titles but, I mean, come on lol).

I don't know - I do want to see more titles released in Nintendo's franchises, but I don't want to see an overall lack of creativity where every generation is just an assorted selection of takes on the same small IP pool. They can do differently - as pretty much the entirety of their pre-Wii years shows - they're just... not.
I mean I can say the same for Sony in failing to diversify their output and hyper condensing their portfolio from the PS3 to a very specific market and specific budget point. Regardless it takes Sony years to do these things with not much in between outside of third party games. Every so often they’ll throw a Ratchet out there.

Here the problem though is that there is never enough resources. In order for Nintendo to do as you ask to both keep franchises alive, create ip, and create “in-house, non-casual, major ip”; they would have to be about double to triple their size now, at least. Not even getting into partnered studios that may not expand at the same rate or individuals/teams wanting to do certain franchises either in perpetuity or just because. I just think it weird to say that Nintendo is failing at this point when they have a wide range of software at various budget points for a wide range of audiences. I’m sure as time will go one some more of Nintendo’s older catalog will see some release on the Switch.

I've had 3 beers so I won't chip in but needless to say I find the whole thing ridiculous and where's the fourth beer

(I rarely drink much alcohol these days because of chronic illness and so I am a lightweight)

(I've used the phrase "Stinky Horse Game" so much my phone autocorrected "drink" to "Stinky")

I think the fact Nintendo went to Retro Studios for Prime 4 after they had to supposedly end development of their new IP might indicate that it wasn’t entirely a management failure. Sometimes ideas don’t pan out. Games are really difficult to get right, especially so when you aim for a high budget and are not building on a foundation set by legacy IP. Without concrete details I think its just best to assume whatever idea was had just didn’t pan out through no fault of anyone.

Thank you all for your thoughts on my current conundrum. They were all quite helpful; I'll definitely consider taking a break from playing for a while. Not until I try Nintendo Switch Sports this weekend, though.

Speaking of which, unpopular opinion: Ring Fit Adventure is as much a major internal new IP as ARMS is.

I think the fact Nintendo went to Retro Studios for Prime 4 after they had to supposedly end development of their new IP might indicate that it wasn’t entirely a management failure. Sometimes ideas don’t pan out. Games are really difficult to get right, especially so when you aim for a high budget and are not building on a foundation of set by a legacy IP. Without concrete details I think its just best to assume whatever idea was had just didn’t pan out through no fault of anyone.
Even when you use the foundation of a legacy IP it can still be hard.

It seems like whatever plan they had to make Prime 4 didn’t pan out, whether Retro contacted Nintendo or vice versa is anybodies guess. The only concrete things we know are that the original Prime 4 was canned and restarted; whatever Retro was working on prior to Prime 4 is also seemingly canned/shelved. We’ll just have to wait and see what Retro is doing with Prime 4, & rumored Prime Remaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom