• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
and then everyone will realize they see the game with Rose colored glasses and realize it is now shit to control.
When Mario 3D All-Stars came out there were plenty of people who said Mario 64 still holds up, so I can only imagine that will be the case for Golden Eye too 😉

I like Smash Bros but I always have a hard time keeping track of my character when the action gets busy. Whenever I see people online talk about how Melee's mechanics were their favorite, I think "You aint fooling anyone. You're probably the type that spam up B and forgets that there is even a shield button while playing. Tripping was put into Brawl to help people like you"
This is totally me as well.

Also I totally game genie’d the hell out of games as a kid. I’ve gotten better since but I won’t touch a Souls game even with a ten-foot pole.

When Mario 3D All-Stars came out there were plenty of people who said Mario 64 still holds up, so I can only imagine that will be the case for Golden Eye too 😉
But Mario 64 still controls well. It’s just the wonky camera getting stuck. People will be in for a rude awakening going back to single stick controls for an FPS after 25 years of advancement on the console front with dual stick control.

This is totally me as well.

Also I totally game genie’d the hell out of games as a kid. I’ve gotten better since but I won’t touch a Souls game even with a ten-foot pole.
AAAAHHH!!!! GAME GENIE!!!
mqdefault.jpg

Seriously I never hear anyone else talk about it but Game Genie was my childhood.

I usually come out on top against family and friends when playing Smash Bros, but as soon as you throw me in an online match I am about as useful as Glass Joe.

But Mario 64 still controls well. It’s just the wonky camera getting stuck. People will be in for a rude awakening going back to single stick controls for an FPS after 25 years of advancement on the console front with dual stick control.
So I was mostly talking shit because I know people love Mario 64, but I do find the controls a little bit wonky. For instance, I think it's the first Bowser area where there's a red coin at the end of a narrow ledge - if you angle the camera so that the coin is directly in front of you, push forward to collect it, then push back to turn around, Mario will turn in a slight circle and end up falling off the ledge

I usually come out on top against family and friends when playing Smash Bros, but as soon as you throw me in an online match I am about as useful as Glass Joe.
So you’re saying when you get hit, croissants launch out of you? Because that actually would be a pretty cost effective way to get breakfast.

Now I'm picturing AC2 but you move around the city via Ring Fit running and fight with fitness moves, and... I kinda want that?
frankly ever since getting Ring Fit I’ve wanted Ring Fit integration with every single game

I’m not kidding

Can you imagine if other hobbies had you play against people from all over the world in inexplicably competitive matches

"Welcome to little league soccer! Just FYI, your daughter will be playing against people from all over the world. Most of them take this way too seriously, and some of them may even shout slurs at her"

Can you imagine if other hobbies had you play against people from all over the world in inexplicably competitive matches

"Welcome to little league soccer! Just FYI, your daughter will be playing against people from all over the world. Most of them take this way too seriously, and some of them may even shout slurs at her"
So not too different from the way parents are now attending club league soccer. When I officiated in high school, it got nasty. I only imagine it is worse nowadays with everyone become unhinged.

Sounds like most parents I have seen at children sporting events to be honest.

Seriously I never hear anyone else talk about it but Game Genie was my childhood.
Yasssss

I totally suck at competitive Smash Bros. Free for all items on all day every day baby.
Yassssss. With random stage selection only too!

frankly ever since getting Ring Fit I’ve wanted Ring Fit integration with every single game

I’m not kidding
Yassssss. Everytime I’m playing Octopath I just sit there thinking “I wish I could use the ring con to play this”. Like every turn based JRPG should have a ring con mode.

So not too different from the way parents are now attending club league soccer. When I officiated in high school, it got nasty. I only imagine it is worse nowadays with everyone become unhinged.
Sounds like most parents I have seen at children sporting events to be honest.
I was going for "humorously exaggerated" but apparently landed on "unfortunately accurate"

I was going for "humorously exaggerated" but apparently landed on "unfortunately accurate"
It’s bad right now. Almost every sport in the US has officiating shortages because the pay isn’t worth the abuse. Even around here where I live, a dad just knocked an official over and fractured his occipital bone for ejecting his kid. Never experienced that too much when I did it, but did get sworn at and had a coach run into the field to chew me out. Fun times. Actually was a good way to make tax free money in the summer if you did tournaments.

eyyyyyy this perfectly describes my experience being on a post-midnight drunk broomball team made up of chaotic queers & comrades who worked at the same unfortunate “humor magazine” as me in uni

most of the other teams were comprised of serious global hockey players with occasional lowkey rich dick / white supremacist vibes, and we were obliterated every time

look, I’m not saying we threatened to torch a PT Cruiser, but I am saying that if we had, it was the morally correct stance given the circumstances

Hey everybody, I feel that it's been a while since I got personal with this community but I have something on my mind that I feel is applicable for discussion here.

Recently I started trying to sink my teeth into Splatoon 2, and while I was enamored by the game, I quickly found myself to be too cognitively incapable to have fun with it. This experience has me reflecting on my entire life experience with video games, and I've found myself facing a question: should I give up on video games entirely?

I have always suffered from immense frustration due to my own inadequacy, in all parts of life, and in video games it has taken its most visceral form. Within the past half year I've been trying to spend more time playing games instead of constantly reading and writing about them, but maybe I had this wrong. Despite numerous argumentative failures, I at least wield the basic abilities needed to post online. Meanwhile, my experience with video games is perhaps akin to one attempting to participate here without speaking English.

Unlike many of my most distressed moments early on in this community, I don't have any preconception as to what I want to be told or if I want to be assuaged. I am simply facing a challenging potential step and hoping to receive any commentary or perspective on it.
I’m gonna say don’t treat games like a job. It’s not work. You don’t have to be good at them. You don’t need adequacy. They’re fun.

I can't decide if I want to play Banjo Kazooie or Pokemon Legends at my medical appointment tomorrow. Whichever one is more shameful, I'll play that. Most of the other patients are in their 40s or higher so I think I'm the only I know that actually plays games during the procedure. Everyone else usually just sleeps or browses on their phones/tablets.

One of the best parts about Breath of the Wild is that the camera is zoomed out and Link relatively small on screen. In the Xenoblade games, you can move the camera way the fuck out and it's awesome. The over the shoulder stuff was fine in Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War but God of War 2018's camera was zoomed in for its own good. The devs even knew this because they put an indicator to let the player know that an enemy is directly behind them. Just pull the camera out damn it.

chaos is key to casual sports, but I’d also recommend your team have a solid assortment of femmes, thems, and misc to be worthwhile

this is not me telling you to pick me for your broomball team or bowling league

it’s still a pandemic and my body is a bag of splinters

but the longing… the longing…

I don’t know who needs to hear this

but Olli Olli World is goooood

this is from somebody who never got the hang of the first two

Hey everybody, I feel that it's been a while since I got personal with this community but I have something on my mind that I feel is applicable for discussion here.

Recently I started trying to sink my teeth into Splatoon 2, and while I was enamored by the game, I quickly found myself to be too cognitively incapable to have fun with it. This experience has me reflecting on my entire life experience with video games, and I've found myself facing a question: should I give up on video games entirely?

I have always suffered from immense frustration due to my own inadequacy, in all parts of life, and in video games it has taken its most visceral form. Within the past half year I've been trying to spend more time playing games instead of constantly reading and writing about them, but maybe I had this wrong. Despite numerous argumentative failures, I at least wield the basic abilities needed to post online. Meanwhile, my experience with video games is perhaps akin to one attempting to participate here without speaking English.

Unlike many of my most distressed moments early on in this community, I don't have any preconception as to what I want to be told or if I want to be assuaged. I am simply facing a challenging potential step and hoping to receive any commentary or perspective on it.
Who cares how good you are at a game if you're having fun

One of the best parts about Breath of the Wild is that the camera is zoomed out and Link relatively small on screen. In the Xenoblade games, you can move the camera way the fuck out and it's awesome. The over the shoulder stuff was fine in Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War but God of War 2018's camera was zoomed in for its own good. The devs even knew this because they put an indicator to let the player know that an enemy is directly behind them. Just pull the camera out damn it.
This is legit one of the biggest reasons God of War didn't click with me, the camera and movement feel when it's SO zoomed in just drove me nuts.

you’re telling me people like baseball enough to buy a game with real-world advertisements in it just to emulate “human baseball” to the fullest extent of the law??

I know that’s not the takeaway here, but here I am… taking it away…
Welcome to real world sports games, lol. Best part of playing FIFA on Xbox is seeing ads in game for PS4/5 because Sony's an official sponsor of the Champions League. Or Formula One games where they're not allowed to display alcohol sponsors, so you just see the damn Pirelli logo plastered everywhere.

look, I’m not saying we threatened to torch a PT Cruiser, but I am saying that if we had, it was the morally correct stance given the circumstances
It’s always morally correct to torch a PT Cruiser, regardless of the circumstances.

I can't decide if I want to play Banjo Kazooie or Pokemon Legends at my medical appointment tomorrow. Whichever one is more shameful, I'll play that. Most of the other patients are in their 40s or higher so I think I'm the only I know that actually plays games during the procedure. Everyone else usually just sleeps or browses on their phones/tablets.
I watch tokusatsu on my laptop when I get my monthly infusions for Crohn's, you shouldn't have to worry about feeling shame for things like that lol

I finished my series replay of Mario Kart 1-7 tonight! What an awesome series. Looking forward to two years of the Booster Pass bringing some great courses forward :)

Some of you may remember a couple of posts earlier this week in which I was wrestling with my Switch in a desperate bid to get it working again after neglecting it for a few months.

Initial signs were not good - the battery couldn't hold a charge and drift was in full force - and I felt I was going to have to buy a new one.

Well, after a few days of tinkering, some regular playing sessions and some more charging, my Switch has returned from the brink - just in time for a packed year!

I've played a bit of XC2 (though after nearly 500 hours I have nothing to really do!) and Smash - but I've played MK8 more than anything. What a fantastic game that is, just fantastic.

After XC3, I'm looking forward to more MK8 tracks more than anything else this year. A classic no doubt.

Talking about PT Cruisers always makes me nostalgic for Gran Turismo 3, where the silly thing was, IIRC, the fastest unmodified starter car. And I have chosen as my starter car on at least one occasion, so I can't bash it too badly, lol. I should actually try to finish that game someday.

I'll let you in on a secret about Splatoon

WRUQO9A.png

So don't let it get you down.

Honestly, as I've gotten older, I've found that that online multiplayer with randos just isn't worth it a lot of the time. I'm just not interested in going into a Halo match (or any game, but Halo is the game I like to play but has the worst goddamn community regarding this), doing poorly, and then getting called slurs over VC by some asshole because I don't have enough time to "git gud" or whatever the fuck (I'm Plat 4, so I'd like to think I'm at least decent). I've found myself just playing bot matches in custom games, and while they're not the brightest bulbs in the box, they're more than enough to serve as compelling opponents for me, and that's enough for me to enjoy it. Even in games without VC I still kinda avoid matchmaking because it's an imperfect science: every good, balanced game is often contrasted with a lopsided smackdown. Multiplayer is best IMO when you're hanging around with people you know.

Pretty sure I've just convinced myself 2D Mario is this year and that 2D DK and 3D Mario are next year.
I’m still leaning towards 3D Mario this year and 2D the next. A new Mario platformer will come this year so it’s one way or the other!

Really the main issue with 3D this year is that they wouldn’t put 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in the same holiday period. Unless Zelda is delayed but I don’t see 3D Mario coming out before Zelda.

2D Mario this year is definitely a possibility, maybe in October directly in between Xenoblade and Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom