• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
PjBMVPb.jpg

ninke………….

pQ5wAyu.jpg

azUzJSf.jpg

Public service announcement for Picross fans.

Nonagrams Prophecy is NOT a game to get. There is a serious bug in the way the numbers are highlighted. The numbers that fade aren't necessarily related to what you've put on the board. This is confusing as hell in normal picross but outright unusable in colour picross because now colours you need to know are greyed out.

Not worth the 89p's worth of gold points I paid for it.
I am so sorry that yet another person got ripped off by Nonograms Prophecy. I got the game around the time it came out (launch discount) when I was between Picross S games and it was a massive disappointment. Most of the puzzles were extremely simple, relying way too much on simple lines and rectangles. Most of the color puzzles also rip off a bunch of famous characters, too, it felt really tacky.

And some of the puzzles are just broken. I don't mean "The highlights don't work" broken you just mentioned, I mean, "The cursor doesn't show up and you can't even fill in the goddamn puzzle" broken!

You literally cannot finish the game!! This game is so bad!! I fucking hate it!!

Haven’t finished it, played it a little on PC, bought again for my Switch to run start to finish. Short version is: it’s very good

Longer version: It looks like a Link to the Past clone but it’s got more going on than that. It’s combat is trickier than it looks, with lots of Minish Cap style dodging, a sort of Wind Waker setting, it’s got fun-but-manageable crafting, and it has so much side content that it’s ridiculous - I think the developer said there are more side dungeons and optional bosses than the main storyline.

It’s definitely more exploration based/non-linear than any 2D Zelda since the first one
I like that!

And I don't mind it being a "clone" of a Link to the Past, or in this case, what some call a "Zelda-like."

In fact, I want to explore more "Zelda-like" games. (y)

has anyone tried the Ezio Pepperoni Collection and is it decent on Ring Fit? I’ve never had an Assassin’s Creed for more than five minutes so I’m not picky, just want to confirm that it is at least serviceable and doesn’t somehow turn the Switch into bread

wow, not sure if I stroked out or what because that last post was half-intentionally nonsense and half-what-the-fuck-how-did-I-type-and-miss-that nonsense

has anyone tried the Ezio Pepperoni Collection and is it decent on Ring Fit? I’ve never had an Assassin’s Creed for more than five minutes so I’m not picky, just want to confirm that it is at least serviceable and doesn’t somehow turn the Switch into bread
... what?
I miss Gay Bowser
Hey yeah, what happened to Gay Bowser?

has anyone tried the Ezio Pepperoni Collection and is it decent on Ring Fit the Switch? I’ve never had played an Assassin’s Creed for more than five minutes so I’m not picky, just want to confirm that it is at least serviceable and doesn’t somehow turn the Switch into bread
I’m leaving the original to have a chronicle of my failure, but here are notes and corrections

strike and bold = I don’t know how that happened and this is what I actually meant

underlined = not a mistake, idk why exactly the fuck I typed those things but I stand by them and posted them by choice

Now I'm picturing AC2 but you move around the city via Ring Fit running and fight with fitness moves, and... I kinda want that?

I like that!

And I don't mind it being a "clone" of a Link to the Past, or in this case, what some call a "Zelda-like."

In fact, I want to explore more "Zelda-like" games. (y)
If you like the idea of a LttP clone, you should also check out Blossom Tales. I think it’s a little too faithful to LttP. Ocean’s Heart is very Zelda like but it’s taking inspiration from lots of Zelda games not just LttP

I’m leaving the original to have a chronicle of my failure, but here are notes and corrections

strike and bold = I don’t know how that happened and this is what I actually meant

underlined = not a mistake, idk why exactly the fuck I typed those things but I stand by them and posted them by choice
You barely changed anything but it does make a lot more sense now somehow
still active on Era, afaik never came over
They seem to have an account, just haven't been very active. (Although they did pop by for the Direct, it seems)

Come back, @Gay Bowser , we miss you!

Neat! I wonder what’s next after this. Come on F-Zero X!!!
"We are sorry to announce that the dumping of the F-Zero X ROM has been cancelled due to lack of interest. Please look forward to its replacement, Mickey's Speedway USA."

Hey everybody, I feel that it's been a while since I got personal with this community but I have something on my mind that I feel is applicable for discussion here.

Recently I started trying to sink my teeth into Splatoon 2, and while I was enamored by the game, I quickly found myself to be too cognitively incapable to have fun with it. This experience has me reflecting on my entire life experience with video games, and I've found myself facing a question: should I give up on video games entirely?

I have always suffered from immense frustration due to my own inadequacy, in all parts of life, and in video games it has taken its most visceral form. Within the past half year I've been trying to spend more time playing games instead of constantly reading and writing about them, but maybe I had this wrong. Despite numerous argumentative failures, I at least wield the basic abilities needed to post online. Meanwhile, my experience with video games is perhaps akin to one attempting to participate here without speaking English.

Unlike many of my most distressed moments early on in this community, I don't have any preconception as to what I want to be told or if I want to be assuaged. I am simply facing a challenging potential step and hoping to receive any commentary or perspective on it.

Hey everybody, I feel that it's been a while since I got personal with this community but I have something on my mind that I feel is applicable for discussion here.

Recently I started trying to sink my teeth into Splatoon 2, and while I was enamored by the game, I quickly found myself to be too cognitively incapable to have fun with it. This experience has me reflecting on my entire life experience with video games, and I've found myself facing a question: should I give up on video games entirely?

I have always suffered from immense frustration due to my own inadequacy, in all parts of life, and in video games it has taken its most visceral form. Within the past half year I've been trying to spend more time playing games instead of constantly reading and writing about them, but maybe I had this wrong. Despite numerous argumentative failures, I at least wield the basic abilities needed to post online. Meanwhile, my experience with video games is perhaps akin to one attempting to participate here without speaking English.

Unlike many of my most distressed moments early on in this community, I don't have any preconception as to what I want to be told or if I want to be assuaged. I am simply facing a challenging potential step and hoping to receive any commentary or perspective on it.
At the end of the day, unless you're working in video games, then playing and writing about video games is a hobby. If a hobby isn't bringing you joy, then there's no reason to force yourself to do it when there's so much else out there to enjoy.

If you're specifically focused on wanted to stay within the loop of games, then perhaps there are other ways you can enjoy the medium. Doesn't just have to be about skill and mastery. Think about what you enjoy about games and focus on that, and find games that give you that focus.

I’ll share something with you.

I rarely play games nowadays. Just never enough time and when I do have times, I’m not interested in learning a new game so I’ll replay something old that I know or just watch a film. I just enjoying providing commentary here and do keep up with what’s going on because it’s all fascinating to me.

Nowadays I just buy genres I know I’ll get into, but won’t beat them till weeks-months later.

I bought Pokémon Legends and dropped it after a few hours cause of life. But I’ll come back to it one day as Eventually my hobby of playing video games will resurface and I’ll binge on a game for a couple days. Just the way of my life now. Rarely play anything but there’s days that come where I somehow get into a game non-stop.

So it’s really just trying to find where you fully stand. Don’t try to force yourself to play games or post about gaming. I find I 99% of the time perfer to post here and talk games then actually play them.

If you're not having fun with a particular game, I recommend having a break or even dropping it entirely. Games are not worth getting frustrated over. But I feel like there's a little more here, namely finding yourself inadequate. I think this can be a function of hanging out with other gamers online since the kind of people who tend to hang out and talk about games online tend to be above average at games, and I've experienced this too. I'm generally pretty bad at games, and games that tend to require fast hand movements tend to cause me a fair bit of pain because I have arthritis in my hands (and let's face it, Joy Cons (I mostly play switch and primarily play handheld) are uncomfortable as fuck). Celeste is one of my favorite games, but I had to accept that I wouldn't be able to beat all of it because I lack the innate skill, and the effort required to overcome that would cause me enormous pain. But I try to remind myself it doesn't matter that others are better than me even at games I really like, because as long as I'm having fun, then my hobby is achieving its purpose.

Maybe you're just playing the wrong games?

I also struggle with balancing playing with reading/writing but I often have to remind myself that this is how it's always been for me. Even before the Internet and discovering message boards I was a voracious reader of Nintendo Power. To me reading about games is just part of the hobby, and honestly I think sometimes I'm more enthusiastic about the idea of games than actually playing them. And that's perfectly ok!

If you don't want games to be a source of frustration then don't let them be. Find the genres you like, play the games you want to play. If that means staying away from the zeitgeist or never playing online even though everyone is talking about THE NEW HOTNESS, then so go do it and don't let anyone give you shit for it.

It's your time and your hobby. Do what makes you happy, and that includes taking a break if you need it.

This is where I go “old man,” but when I was fresh out of college, I pretty much stopped playing video games for a couple of years. Mainly focused on work, developing new relationships in that setting, playing sports, etc. I mainly came back in with the DS, when DSi came out and sort of fell back in love with the classic style of gaming. I did get the home systems there after, but mostly played single player as I was never good enough in multiplayer FPS which was the rage at that time. Now I mostly play those old games still since I created a massive backlog and enjoy more gameplay focused things (though do partake in the new Nintendo stuff). It’s okay to drop things when you might have other passions or interests. Even recently, from 2019-2020 I beat a total of 12 games and some of those were were not long. Spent more time reading (and working unfortunately) and got my video game fix via YouTube chronology series and the like. I also strongly subscribe to playing on easy or cutting games off when they don’t click.

This is where I go “old man,” but when I was fresh out of college, I pretty much stopped playing video games for a couple of years. Mainly focused on work, developing new relationships in that setting, playing sports, etc. I mainly came back in with the DS, when DSi came out and sort of fell back in love with the classic style of gaming. I did get the home systems there after, but mostly played single player as I was never good enough in multiplayer FPS which was the rage at that time. Now I mostly play those old games still since I created a massive backlog and enjoy more gameplay focused things (though do partake in the new Nintendo stuff). It’s okay to drop things when you might have other passions or interests. Even recently, from 2019-2020 I beat a total of 12 games and some of those were were not long. Spent more time reading (and working unfortunately) and got my video game fix via YouTube chronology series and the like. I also strongly subscribe to playing on easy or cutting games off when they don’t click.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I ended up getting kinda personal too so I'm doing a hide:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I'm not going to start a whole new playthrough next week, but I plan on at least finding all five bombers and visiting the observatory for the 12,435th time
Hearing this when you go into the observatory gets me every time. I always just sit and listen before looking through the telescope (not for 10 hours like this video though).

my two abyss pepperonis:

all things come and go in waves

whether that’s talking about or playing

on a game-by-game basis, a hobby-by-hobby basis, and beyond

I have been there in countless ways

the thing I learn over and over again is that it is never too late, no cost is too sunk, and nothing is a monolith

life, and the things we fill it with, is about surfing

you listen to the waves and you don’t hold them against yourself. you let it nudge you in a direction while still steering a bit to where you want to go. but it’s no straight path and no solitary lighthouse. in all things.

if Splatoon 2 doesn’t feel right for you right now, don’t play it. None of it needs to be absolute, you don’t need to quit all video games even if the ones you’re playing now or used to enjoy aren’t hitting the spot right now. this is a wave. hold the silence to hear the wave, and then seek out “the self” or whatever the fuck to decide if you want to try going with it or against it.

life, and love, and joy, and hobbies are imbued with a lot of weird pressure that isn’t necessary. hear both yourself and the waves, try things, stop things, and try things again. it’s not an ultimatum, it’s just what you’re doing right now

I know it’s a dumb thing I keep saying but truly, it is not so serious

very rambling and I wrote this with several pauses in between so I hope it’s more coherent than my other posts today

two pepperonis for the price of sus

Since @hologram posted he was going for most posts, he has posted 9 times. @Skittzo has posted twice. If we extrapolate this out with the close to 5 hour duration since he quoted me saying he couldn’t do it and the roughly 269 hours left until March 1, that leaves 54ish more 5 hour blocks for this thread before closure. If the previous rate holds, then hologram can definitely outpace Skittzo and take the crown (assuming any of us in the top 10 have a similar low post total). Though I will say I’m a beer in to a 4 day weekend, so I might challenge you for the top spot.

Since @hologram posted he was going for most posts, he has posted 9 times. @Skittzo has posted twice. If we extrapolate this out with the close to 5 hour duration since he quoted me saying he couldn’t do it and the roughly 269 hours left until March 1, that leaves 54ish more 5 hour blocks for this thread before closure. If the previous rate holds, then hologram can definitely outpace Skittzo and take the crown (assuming any of us in the top 10 have a similar low post total). Though I will say I’m a beer in to a 4 day weekend, so I might challenge you for the top spot.
So you're saying there's a chance...

Don't ever feel bad about being bad at games because he's the truth, most people here, on Era, and in general, fucking suck at games. The only way to become really good at a game is to commit to it and I mean commit. The people who only play COD every year can probably say they are good at the game because that's all they play. Gaming enthusiast who play multiple games a year rarely ever have the dedication needed to be good at one.

I like Smash Bros but I always have a hard time keeping track of my character when the action gets busy. Whenever I see people online talk about how Melee's mechanics were their favorite, I think "You aint fooling anyone. You're probably the type that spam up B and forgets that there is even a shield button while playing. Tripping was put into Brawl to help people like you"

Many people here probably like Splatoon because they stink at other shooters. At least in Splatoon, you can actually contribute even if you miss your opponent because the paint will help cover the map. People like the challenge of F-Zero GX because they played it as a kid when they had too much time and no money. Everyone uses the rewind function in newer Fire Emblem games. It's ok to admit it. Everyone save scums. Many of us wouldn't be able to complete any NES or SNES game without the suspend points.

You all fucking suck at games and that's ok.

One step closer to the tweet that reveals GoldenEye on NSO!!! (while Xbox gets the remaster and bupkiss for Switch 🙃)

Not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, but it might be one of those things where a different hobby is needed to take over just long enough until you feel that urge to play games again comes naturally. Truth be told I feel the same way about Splatoon because I really don't have the rapid fire reflexes for it anymore (if I ever did), but I know I can rely on other games to scratch the itches I need. But also, I've been slacking on reading so much but I finally finished my first book of the year (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood novelization), and I'm kinda eager to start going through what else I have on my bookshelf that's in need of reading. Keep going through that until I remember I have to finish the Arceus post game, and maybe a few other backlogged titles on PS4

If it's not clicking with you right now, maybe it is time to take a break. Not as though you have to give up your gamer card forever and renounce yourself from this community, but taking the time to reset and find that natural urge to want to game can make a world of difference and help you rekindle what got you into gaming in the first place many, many moons ago

So you're saying there's a chance...
I wouldn't count on it, my 9 month old can't possibly get me up at 5am ever day... Can she?

Oh god what have I done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom