• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Please don't set me on fire, but having 100%ed Wonder last year, it left me a little underwhelmed and wanting more. I remember New Super Mario Bros. U being more engaging to me. Lo and behold, I pick up a copy of Deluxe from the library only the other day and it's EXACTLY what I wanted. It's tight, it's clean, it's deliciously varied.

I thought maybe my preference for New Super Mario Bros. was nostalgia, I certainly don't enjoy going back to the DS original all that much despite some excellent later levels, because the start is glacial.

But no, I just like the style more! Wonder by comparison felt... Incoherent, a little short, a little easy. New U has, by world four, presented me with levels that have racked up ten odd deaths, but kept me playing. Something like Badge Marathon in Wonder in difficulty, but so early in the game! And so coherent! It's not difficult from gameplay constantly changing, it's just plain precise!

I think in the context of its release, New U suffered from its own series' success, but in a vacuum, in the current year, it's a DAMN good platformer. I think it's probably in my top three 2D Mario games. Alongside 3 and Wii.
well see that’s because it’s good 😢

I was blissfully not burnt out on the New line when I played U Deluxe β€” the last one I had played was the first New title… so I still had a good time!

I didn’t necessarily love the stylization, sure. But I truly enjoyed the game!

There’s a ton to love about Wonder, and I really do, but the levels end up revolving around the Wonder sections quite a lot, and I definitely get wanting more.

I’m a sucker for specific bosses, too β€” like all the wild Yoshi’s Island bosses β€” so the Bowser Jr. bossfights left a bit to be desired for me

It’ll be exciting to see where it goes in the future!

Just got back home from the theaters. You know it rightfully gets bashed on for the plot a lot. But the ship, creature and droid design in Phantom menace is just excellent. Tons of variety, universe feels loved in, and there's not actually that many humans(like in the Jedi consul and outside of Naboo. Not to mention the super diverse pod racer lineup). Even for the chancellor vote at least one of the candidates was a non-human…. Albeit the one suspected of collusion. Also none of the ships are copies of OG trilogy. A few are obviously from the same family, distantly but not the same.

Was the only one there but eh 2:30 matinee on a Friday
what year is it

oh god I'm so confused
May 4th weekend special event for the 25th anniversary. Also it’s the 25th anniversary of Lego Star Wars. Too bad I’m done with Lego, the midi tanitive IV at Costco was tempting
I first read that as Dungeon Meshi and Spiceworld, and I thought, wow meatbag’s got some range.

I know this is kinda late to the party, but you can add me to the list of people who thought it was a solid package. I even bought it a second time as a gift for a buddy.

Hope you had a blast! I went and saw The Phantom Menace nine times in the theater during its original run. I was obsessed. πŸ˜…

It’s actually what got me into Star Wars. I had watched the original trilogy in the 90’s as a kid and thought they were good but they felt like β€œold” movies to me. Like they β€œweren’t mine.” Then, Episode I came out and I was in love. (Imagine my shock and sadness in the subsequent years when I realized I couldn’t talk about Star Wars with barely anyone because I had the nerve to enjoy the prequels. πŸ˜‚ Glad the sentiment around them has changed quite a bit since then.)

Anyway, your posts brought back some great memories of seeing the original as well as taking some friends to the 3D re-release in 2012, so thank you for that, and I hope you made some good memories today, as well!
It on vhs was my first, only other one I’ve seen in theaters was Clone wars which is some sweet memories since it was with my dad and grandpa at a theater that permanently closed during Covid.

I should play some Jedi starfighter tonight

Well there’s a storm coming in tomorrow and I’m just gonna chill and game, maybe some anime and kit building too

Add in a "3" to that title and I'll agree there. Recently settled on it being my favorite 2D platformer.
I think some of the cruft of 3 weighs down the excellence of Knuckles but I can agree to this. Eat it, Mario.

I first read that as Dungeon Meshi and Spiceworld, and I thought, wow meatbag’s got some range.
Senshi is the lost Spice Girl confirmed

I think some of the cruft of 3 weighs down the excellence of Knuckles but I can agree to this. Eat it, Mario.
Knuckles definitely has the better levels of the two, but for me they mix together so well as a complete package that I can't imagine them separate.

I first played the Genesis games on the GameCube Sonic collection. Learning you could actually play it locked on after playing 3/K 20 times each blew my mind.

Knuckles definitely has the better levels of the two, but for me they mix together so well as a complete package that I can't imagine them separate.

I first played the Genesis games on the GameCube Sonic collection. Learning you could actually play it locked on after playing 3/K 20 times each blew my mind.
Tell me about it. I only had 2 and S&K as a youngling, so in my mind the lock on feature was just to add Knuckles to 2. Seeing what it did with 3 was legitimately unbelievable.

In a world where Sandopolis Zone exists, I cannot accept it as the better half of S3K. That zone is always such a drag, especially if you gotta find Special Stage rings in it. Yes, more than Marble Garden, more than Carnival Night. I still love S3K, but it's one of many late game Sonic zones that's just a touch too annoying.

Incredible. We turned the last page into both "NSMB vs Wonder" and "Mario vs Sonic". I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.
do something in between that is truly both and neither

XQfrDCn.jpeg

or grab a human beverage and spectate super normally

In a world where Sandopolis Zone exists, I cannot accept it as the better half of S3K. That zone is always such a drag, especially if you gotta find Special Stage rings in it. Yes, more than Marble Garden, more than Carnival Night. I still love S3K, but it's one of many late game Sonic zones that's just a touch too annoying.
Counterpoint: I like the midboss.

Ugh. I walked past a woman who lives in my apartment building walking her dog. It came up to sniff me and I gave it some pets. I commented how I had a dog just like it when I was a kid. We exchanged pleasantries about dogs and walked away. After walking for a few seconds, she turned around to shout if I knew who Jesus was. I said yeah and she said "That's good. Open up that Bible". So awkward. I should have said I knew him from the Quran to see what her reaction would have been.

Ugh. I walked past a woman who lives in my apartment building walking her dog. It came up to sniff me and I gave it some pets. I commented how I had a dog just like it when I was a kid. We exchanged pleasantries about dogs and walked away. After walking for a few seconds, she turned around to shout if I knew who Jesus was. I said yeah and she said "That's good. Open up that Bible". So awkward. I should have said I knew him from the Quran to see what her reaction would have been.
I can think of some funnier responses to mess with her. Like β€œoh you mean in the apartment downstairs” β€œfrom Greek mythology?”(he fought Hades you know) β€œThe drag queen?”

Marble Garden as a kid kept me from progressing in Sonic 3 for about 4 years. It’s easily the worst zone in all of 3K, in my book.
is this Crocomire slander

I fucking love Crocomire
As we all should

Marble Garden as a kid kept me from progressing in Sonic 3 for about 4 years. It’s easily the worst zone in all of 3K, in my book.

As we all should
love to pop into this blast from the past and see that I’m second comment with a bold β€œCROCOMIRE RULES”

i’ve said it before. I’ll say it again.

CROCOMIRE RULES

I love Sonic 3K but it's very weird for me because I had 3 growing up but not &Knuckles. I rented it and played through it once so I have nostalgia for it but I have a hard time including its levels in with 3's because 3 was the game I played all the time so I see it as a complete package all on its own.

Even though logically I understand it was one game split in half and I do consider it one game now in hindsight, 3 felt complete to me when I was a kid and &Knuckles was "the sequel." And both were so damn good. Sandopolis is a drag but I loved every other level in both games dearly. Yes, even Marble Garden, and yes even Carnival Night.

Damn I love those games. Gonna be time for a replay soon.

Fami, I’ve read that apparently you need a certain set of Shines in Super Mario Sunshine before you can attempt the final boss? Anyone know what shines are compulsory?

Fami, I’ve read that apparently you need a certain set of Shines in Super Mario Sunshine before you can attempt the final boss? Anyone know what shines are compulsory?
It's the first 7 of each world as far as I remember

I love Sonic 3K but it's very weird for me because I had 3 growing up but not &Knuckles. I rented it and played through it once so I have nostalgia for it but I have a hard time including its levels in with 3's because 3 was the game I played all the time so I see it as a complete package all on its own.

Even though logically I understand it was one game split in half and I do consider it one game now in hindsight, 3 felt complete to me when I was a kid and &Knuckles was "the sequel." And both were so damn good. Sandopolis is a drag but I loved every other level in both games dearly. Yes, even Marble Garden, and yes even Carnival Night.

Damn I love those games. Gonna be time for a replay soon.
I also played 3 before Knuckles or 3K, so I'm kinda similar. The Knuckles levels feel very distinct to me. Maybe it's the lack of water in any of them.

It feels like an expansion pack which... I suppose it basically ended up being exactly that. There's this sort of slight lack of cohesion as a result between 3 and Knuckles. Enough to be noticeable, not enough to really hamper anything.

3K is still one of my favourite games of all time.

Yeah I played 3 first too, & Knuckles definitely has a different feel. Part of it comes from the music I think. What we know of the game's composer credits are extremely fractured, and it wouldn't surprise me if none of the Sonic 3 zones were by people who did Knuckles zones. The lack of Michael Jackson's team is already a big difference in style.

I think it helps the game's pacing a bit more with the hacks that put Flying Battery before Ice Cap as originally intended. Mushroom Hill still ends up feeling like a breather level squeezed between Launch Base and Sandopolis, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Great first General Discussion ST @Chie ! Rabbit Fire is one of the all-time great Looney Tunes shorts.

I ended up voting "Other Season" because Songs of Conquest comes out later this month and I'm probably pivoting to that since I grabbed it during Early Access, kicked the tires for a day and said "yup, this is what I want" and then put it back in the pile until it was ready.

Incredible. We turned the last page into both "NSMB vs Wonder" and "Mario vs Sonic". I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.
I'm kinda glad I missed this.

Is this a safe place to admit I’ve never been a fan of Mike Pollock’s Eggman voice

I think it helps the game's pacing a bit more with the hacks that put Flying Battery before Ice Cap as originally intended.
I honestly had hoped they'd do this in Sonic Origins. Since they went full-on in deciding to present 3 and Knuckles as one full game, I thought they might restore the initially planned level order and transition scenes too. Having the cannon in Carnival Night shoot you up into the air onto Flying Battery makes so much sense (as opposed to Flying Battery just awkwardly flying over the ground in Mushroom Hill), and then Sonic bursting out the door at the end of Flying Battery and using the door as a snowboard when landing on Ice Cap.. that's just too good.

Mushroom Hill still ends up feeling like a breather level squeezed between Launch Base and Sandopolis, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
It could stand to feel like a breather, especially since it's part of the reason 3K still feels like two games tacked together to me. Mushroom Hill feels too much like a beginning Sonic level (with the greenery and the rolling hills and loops) when it's actually more like Hill Top Zone, a very pretty but distinctly mid-game level.

Not saying moving Flying Battery around would solve it, but anything that makes it feel like a breather and not a beginning would help in my book. πŸ˜…

I picked up Sea of Stars last week, it’s pretty great! Glad I picked it up on the Switch over PS5 too, it’s been fun playing it on the OLED.

I know this is a vibe kill, but as a Nintendo fan, sometimes the toxic positivity here and the fanboyism does not make me want to come back.
I get why fanboyism can be grating and bad, and while there's definitely going to be some of that on a Nintendo-centric forum I feel like Fami does a pretty good job of downplaying and trying not to have too much of that. But I am always mystified whenever the term 'toxic positivity' comes out - what does that even mean? It's not a term I had ever heard until fairly recently and I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I get why fanboyism can be grating and bad, and while there's definitely going to be some of that on a Nintendo-centric forum I feel like Fami does a pretty good job of downplaying and trying not to have too much of that. But I am always mystified whenever the term 'toxic positivity' comes out - what does that even mean? It's not a term I had ever heard until fairly recently and I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around it.
"toxic positivity" is code for "why aren't you as miserable as me?".

I know this is a vibe kill, but as a Nintendo fan, sometimes the toxic positivity here and the fanboyism does not make me want to come back.
Maybe I just frequent all the wrong threads but I'm very curious about the supposed toxic positivity dilemma on Famiboards. I feel like we are as a whole healthily skeptical.

Honestly, I feel that the negativity on Fami is pretty manageable; apart from a comment here or there I’m not too bothered.

Special posts or out there posts are always going to appear.

Who is saying those people shouldn't?
idk what to tell you on that, I felt like jumping in at your message in particular because it read pretty disrespectful to just call AngryAlchemist miserable even if his frustration doesn't align with your experience here. Maybe I read the room wrong

Nah, it's more like "some things just suck, even if you don't think so let me acknowledge that some of that is ass please"
But why do I have to acknowledge that if I don't think so? To turn that around, if I think something is great then maybe I think other people should at least admit the good parts of things rather than focusing so much on the negative - especially if they want me to acknowledge some bad elements. It goes both ways.

I'm not saying that we should never complain or talk about things we don't like or why something is bad - I do that all the time! But I always feel like whenever 'toxic positivity' gets thrown out it seems like it's just someone who wants to wade into a topic in which most people are enjoying something and having a good time or being optimistic, and they want to go in and bring up a lot of negative elements and talk about why something actually sucks and is bad. Which to be clear, is totally fine and you're free to do that! But if you do that and people aren't very receptive to that point of view or push back on it and you don't get a whole lot of agreement, that's not 'toxic positivity'.

they drew a picture of y’all contemplating the jumpman

8oyigAo.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom