• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried Duck Dectective?
I haven't, but Jason Schreier was pretty into it on the last Triple Click episode. Sounds like it's a fun little mini-'Case of the Golden Idol' kind of game with sillier humor and a bit on the easier side. Also very short.

I really don't need to buy any more video games right now I've got a lot of games to play

But what if

I purchased Returnal
I've got one of those little Switch cartridge holders (in the shape of a Pokedex) that holds six games, and of them two I haven't played, one I'm going to restart eventually, and the other is Splatoon 3, and I still find myself going, man, hope they announce a ton of stuff next month during the Direct!

Oh no I forgot about this, I’m sure there will be a couple enticing drops 😢

Fuck a ringing endorsement and a Seinfeld GIF I am screwed 😭
My pitch for Returnal is:

• Yes it's a roguelike and can appeal to fans of those, but it's pretty heavy on the story and has much longer (but overall fewer) 'runs' than most rogulikes so if you're like me and sometimes don't click with roguelikes where you do a ton of short runs, it might be a good fit for you
  • The way that they integrate the whole respawning/roguelike mechanics into the story and the actual biomes and areas of the game is fantastic
  • It has one of the coolest twists and cutscenes I've ever seen in a game
  • It has one of the best uses of licensed music I've ever encountered in a game (but I won't say anything more than that)
  • In a lot of ways it can feel almost like a Metroid game, if they did a 3D Metroid that kept the idea of item pickups and abilities but shifted the structure into a roguelike
  • It's very, very pretty and the bosses are quite a spectacle

I love being able to enjoy games again and taking my sweet time with them. Dragon’s dogma 2 has been amazing so far, I plan to start TTYD after I finish.

36 hrs and counting.

I'm in that terrible middle ground between feeling like I'm burn out on games and also wanting to play games

I don't even play games that much wtf
seems like you need a small break.
Like same thing happened to me, until i took a long break from games and i started reading some manga.

Maybe find a hobby or something different than games, until you get a huge urge to play some games.

I really should work on my backlog.

Brain: yes but what about all those classics you like and haven't played in awhile

Me, to my dad:
So hey, you know how I've been keeping bread in the fridge because whole new loaves are getting moldy super quick if they aren't in the fridge during the summer? It's always seemed like overkill to me and I hear about other people leaving bread in boxes on the counter, so I've been wondering: when you were growing up and yall didn't have refrigerators and stuff, did you store the bread out on the counter? And did it store okay without molding?

My dad: When I was growing up?

Me: yeah

Dad: We didn't have bread. Too fancy.

Me: ah

Me, to my dad:
So hey, you know how I've been keeping bread in the fridge because whole new loaves are getting moldy super quick if they aren't in the fridge during the summer? It's always seemed like overkill to me and I hear about other people leaving bread in boxes on the counter, so I've been wondering: when you were growing up and yall didn't have refrigerators and stuff, did you store the bread out on the counter? And did it store okay without molding?

My dad: When I was growing up?

Me: yeah

Dad: We didn't have bread. Too fancy.

Me: ah
I'm your worst nightmare (bread in freezer gang)

I'm in that terrible middle ground between feeling like I'm burn out on games and also wanting to play games

I don't even play games that much wtf
TTYD is the first time I've seriously played a game (not just 20-30 minutes at a time) in months, I think. Personally I find it often hard to be motivated to play games after work, so I end up just watching TV instead. But it varies.

One thing playing TTYD has me realizing is... I still need to play Dream Team. It's been sitting there in my backlog, taunting me, for 11 years now.

I've never been as big into M&L as PM though so i'll have to calibrate expectations.

I like this here youtube comment

YvnclAY.png

We are gamers not just because we game, but because we err.
Gaming itself is erring

lol it's gonna be hitting almost 100° here next week
The weather in Southeast Asia has started encroaching on your countries, I see. My sincere sympathies

It's time to get into gardening!

Has anyone tried Duck Dectective?
I tore through it Friday night, only just saw this. Know that it's short; I finished it in 3 hours or so. But it's also only $10 if anyone's on the fence.

It's extremely charming. There's voice acting, which caught me off guard, and it really brings their specific brand of goofy noir to life. Gameplay is running around talking to characters, reminiscent of Ace Attorney, which gives you clues to fill in the blanks and solve the mystery (comparisons to Golden Idol are also appropriate). The art style has the same diorama appeal of Paper Mario, and there's little details that serve no other purpose than to make the game more fun. There's a dedicated "quack" button. You can knock over trash cans and just trash the environment.

After about 30 minutes, I was ready for a sequel. There's so much potential in Duck Detective, and I hope anyone that jumps in has as much fun as I did.

nintendo will like remake an old game about a door and then call it a month
Given that the door took a thousand years to make the first time, I'm surprised it only took twenty years to make the second time. I guess the first time's always the hardest?

Just realized we don't have a Dragon Quest franchise ST, I think I'll try to make one. Though I still have my other thread drafted, maybe I can get that one done tonight...

I tore through it Friday night, only just saw this. Know that it's short; I finished it in 3 hours or so. But it's also only $10 if anyone's on the fence.

It's extremely charming. There's voice acting, which caught me off guard, and it really brings their specific brand of goofy noir to life. Gameplay is running around talking to characters, reminiscent of Ace Attorney, which gives you clues to fill in the blanks and solve the mystery (comparisons to Golden Idol are also appropriate). The art style has the same diorama appeal of Paper Mario, and there's little details that serve no other purpose than to make the game more fun. There's a dedicated "quack" button. You can knock over trash cans and just trash the environment.

After about 30 minutes, I was ready for a sequel. There's so much potential in Duck Detective, and I hope anyone that jumps in has as much fun as I did.
Sold

thanks for the review!

Seeing people claim that 2K has secured the rights to use FIFA branding. Will they get the teams though, is the question.
Can't wait to grind or pay for VC to progress in the FIFA solo mode that requires me to stay connected at all times!

If that's true, I really really hope they won't get the teams and that the game will be a big commercial failure.

Sega really was ahead of its time with shameless sponsored DLC and limited FOMO events. The Dreamcast died so that live service could live.

Seeing people claim that 2K has secured the rights to use FIFA branding. Will they get the teams though, is the question.
I feel they delayed Lego 2K Goooal just for this and their intention is to use the license for the game. They'll get individual teams and player licenses as this is a kids game. But changing the title from 2K Goooal to Lego FIFA makes all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom