• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last two weeks have been a little ridiculous for work, so I feel like I've barely been here.
I feel ya, friend, work's been walloping my butt too.

I’m probably going to pick some short games to play since I’m a little burned out on big stuff
I'm in the opposite situation, I haven't started any big games. Well I guess I am about to finish Another Crab's Treasure, but that's like a 20+ hour game, don't think it really counts as big.

thrilled to announce that I've made a successful build of the Grögol Bonanza demo!!

still a few things I need to clean up and adjust, and god knows how many horrible bugs will appear once people with normal computers start playing... but it's very exciting for me!

gameplay includes three areas, one dungeon-to-ability pipeline, and zero combat (for now)

completing the first area + dungeon took me about 30 minutes, with the caveat that I knew where I was going and built the whole thing

exploring the third area took roughly 15 minutes. lots to look at, but nothing too intense

I use the term "dungeon" very loosely

with combat, I think these areas would probably stretch anywhere from two hours to however long you wanted

and the demo only includes minimal metroidvania shenanigans — not the whole suite

so yeah! things are looking good!

Phil probably drove over to Bellevue (or took the new light rail that just opened?) to ask Gabe if he can have a job when MS fires him within the year. Someone saw and the MS valve rumors started…

Microsoft buying Valve? I have also heard this anecdotally from many insiders and Family Boards members. Very concerning.
It’s the only logical thing to do if the rumor of MS wanting to basically give up on Xbox and release windows based ”consoles“ has any truth to it.

Steam dominates the PC space so it would be a bit pointless for MS to put a lot of effort into releasing consoles/handhelds with windows hoping that people would go through their store, because that just won’t happen in a scenario where you can just install steam… Like why spend money developing and producing steamdecks on valves behalf?…

…unless they also owned Steam and then just made all their money selling games that way... ahh fuck it’s gonna happen isn’t it

There is more chance of Sony buying a Japanese studio than MS buying Value.
3GGvXJ3.jpeg

and the demo only includes minimal metroidvania shenanigans — not the whole suite
Minimalvania

Minimaltroid..?

Valve has been privately owned since its inception and I really don't see a reason for Gabe to change that anytime. Especially not for the equivalent of pocket change money.
Also I feel like Phil's Redmond overlords won't let him burn even more money on acquisitions than he already did for the last couple years.

The world of Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney, is a silly one. You have parrots as witnesses, sometimes you need to defend orcas who wear pirate hats and much more.

But do you wanna know what's THE most unrealistic thing in this silly fantasy world?

The fact that Miss Ema Skye, police investigator and forensic scientist, is almost constantly stuffing her face with some choc-covered sweets called Snackoos without gaining ANY weight.

Where's my option to "OBJECTION" this unrealism?

A friend of mine recommended Remnant from the Ashes (1) to me, so I’ve given it a go today, having a day off and all.

It’s been pretty good, had quite a bit of fun so far, but I’m also growing a slightly tired already of its world design and general visual aesthetic just about 2h in. A tad too samey, with all the greys, browns and red-ish colours.

I suspect it’s not going to change too much later on, given the overall setting?!

A friend of mine recommended Remnant from the Ashes (1) to me, so I’ve given it a go today, having a day off and all.

It’s been pretty good, had quite a bit of fun so far, but I’m also growing a slightly tired already of its world design and general visual aesthetic just about 2h in. A tad too samey, with all the greys, browns and red-ish colours.

I suspect it’s not going to change too much later on, given the overall setting?!
Huh, so, I’ve come across a video showcasing different biomes / “worlds”(?). There’s some variety there, at least!
The talk about some insane and pretty unfair difficulty spikes, which can be hard to deal with if you’re playing solo like I am, has me somewhat skeptical about pushing on, though.

The talk about some insane and pretty unfair difficulty spikes, which can be hard to deal with if you’re playing solo like I am, has me somewhat skeptical about pushing on, though.

Can confirm, it's the reason why i dropped it after 5 hours. The biome you get first is random iirc, and i had bad luck with some alien/future/robot deserted planet shit which basically drowns you in enemies from all sides.

I have no idea how anyone playing solo could've enjoyed this game.

Ok, as long as you don't press the Half-Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 buttons. They told me "the skies will be swallowed by the deep maw of powers that be". Which sounds highly unprofitable!

The Valve in the Woods.

Ok, as long as you don't press the Half-Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 buttons. They told me "the skies will be swallowed by the deep maw of powers that be". Which sounds highly unprofitable!
No worries, I'm only intending to take a look, search for some couch money, press the "steam sale" button, let my cats play around a bit and give it back.

I am once again begging everyone to remember that generative AI horseshit burns through real resources on earth

and that the "cloud" was named to imply no physical footprint (for marketing) when it's all massive massive data centers, now turning into even more massive data centers

and that early, kind of conservative estimates are that generative AI right now burns through 33x the electricity of a purpose-built function

reminding you also that electricity is a physical resource and nearly all means of getting it cause a degree of pollution or carbon emissions — and the lower instances demand hazardous materials in high volume

(when I told y'all I loved that the Switch was "underpowered," I wasn't joking! but it sure is manufactured, so the footprint is far from negligible...)

AI also burns through freshwater resources — roughly 16oz per every 5 to 50 ChatGPT requests depending on region — with an estimated ten million ChatGPT requests per day right now in the early stage. that's 50,000 gallons a day.

that's just text requests! I don't have data on images, let alone videos, but you can bet your ass they're MASSIVE burns on electricity and water!

so I want you to look at the extreme rate of AI growth, take what we know about it all right now... and then frame that in our current world and climate

where we've had increasing power grid failures that quite literally kill people

where drought is increasing and shitheads are sticking pipelines through the great lakes, one of our biggest reserves of freshwater — while other shitheads are racing to buy control over water sources in the vile-as-fuck "Blue Gold" strategy

where extreme weather, hot and cold, require electric countermeasures and water supply to keep people alive

when we are practically out of time to stop corporations from pouring out greenhouse gasses if we want a future on earth — the planet is resilient, sure, but humanity is comparatively not

AI will fucking kill people. not in the boring-ass base sci-fi way, nah. this isn't "smart" shit. it's massively, massively inefficient code — for venture capital dickheads to run for nonsense cash in their little fiefdoms, and arrogant dweebs who won't just fucking draw something for once in their damn life to feel good about themselves — that burns through an unbelievable volume of crucial shit, worsens the climate crisis in a three-pronged attack, and literally kills people.

and you bet your ass poorer people who don't give a fuck about AI will be dying from this disproportionately, vs. all the rich assholes and armchair whiteboys who will profit from this bullshit.

so my hatred of AI is not just superficial, or limited to all the artists fucked over. it's well-rounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom