• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafé Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stopping by on this very busy Friday to say that my first Springsteen concert was basically a spiritual awakening, holy shit that man can still rock it at 74. Played for 3:15, 29 songs, band was on fire!
That sounds awesome! Glad you got to see The Boss. Still can't believe Larry David gave him Covid smh

My post caption on Instagram was going to directly reference that I'm grateful LD only gave him COVID on the show hahaha
5DaXdkx.jpeg

has anyone tried to learn japanese? if so, how difficult was it? what are some tips to get started? what would you do differently if you had to start from scratch again?

thank you for attending this interview in advance.

has anyone tried to learn japanese? if so, how difficult was it? what are some tips to get started? what would you do differently if you had to start from scratch again?

thank you for attending this interview in advance.
First thing you gotta think about is what your goals are. Conversational fluent speaking? Listening? Reading, writing? In my opinion a language should never be learned without being able to read it's writing system, but the focus depends on your goals. Writing could be pretty much unnecesseary to you.

One tip: Immersion. Learn the characters, learn the grammar, learn the vocabulary(!) but don't forget that it will be MUCH easier to remember and have the language become second nature, when you immerse yourself in it. That means watching japanese media, reading books, playing games etc. Obviously there needs to be some groundwork for that to be fruitful.

I assume you want to learn the language out of your own interest so another tip from me is to not worry about difficulty too much.

I have some.other stuff I can say, I'll come back to this when I get home 👍🏼

Just stopping by on this very busy Friday to say that my first Springsteen concert was basically a spiritual awakening, holy shit that man can still rock it at 74. Played for 3:15, 29 songs, band was on fire!
Sweet.

Can’t wait; he’ll be in the Netherlands two months from now and I have tickets see him in Nijmegen. Will be my first time seeing him live as well.

First thing you gotta think about is what your goals are. Conversational fluent speaking? Listening? Reading, writing? In my opinion a language should never be learned without being able to read it's writing system, but the focus depends on your goals. Writing could be pretty much unnecesseary to you.

One tip: Immersion. Learn the characters, learn the grammar, learn the vocabulary(!) but don't forget that it will be MUCH easier to remember and have the language become second nature, when you immerse yourself in it. That means watching japanese media, reading books, playing games etc. Obviously there needs to be some groundwork for that to be fruitful.

I assume you want to learn the language out of your own interest so another tip from me is to not worry about difficulty too much.

I have some.other stuff I can say, I'll come back to this when I get home 👍🏼
yeah completely out of my own interest, like i wanna be able to read, write and speak fluently. luckily, i consume a lot of japanese media so immersion shouldn’t be much of an issue, what would be awesome though is being able to talk to people and putting it into practice through conversation. i guess i can find some japanese restaurants or something in my local city and see where i get with that.

yeah completely out of my own interest, like i wanna be able to read, write and speak fluently. luckily, i consume a lot of japanese media so immersion shouldn’t be much of an issue, what would be awesome though is being able to talk to people and putting it into practice through conversation. i guess i can find some japanese restaurants or something in my local city and see where i get with that.
Are you at the very beginning of your study or do you have some experience already? Real world conversation is no small feat but also probably the most rewarding thing for any language learner! Exciting either way!

Are you at the very beginning of your study or do you have some experience already? Real world conversation is no small feat but also probably the most rewarding thing for any language learner! Exciting either way!
at the absolute beginning, like i don’t even know where to begin really! do you know of any good resources?

was out shopping today and while I was browsing someone came up right next to me and my sweet lord miyamoto I was hit with a delightful mix of BO and stale cigarettes, i swear i almost asked th em if they played smash or the yugioh tcg

was out shopping today and while I was browsing someone came up right next to me and my sweet lord miyamoto I was hit with a delightful mix of BO and stale cigarettes, i swear i almost asked th em if they played smash or the yugioh tcg
TIL stale cigarettes smell the same as doritos

slowly raises hand sorry, my wife called me out on it today too, i’ll try harder next time i go out in public

That's what I've been saying! Baptism by rock and roll!

But also looking up this setlist you saw yesterday and 👀 Darlington County? Atlantic City? GROWIN UP??? Mint selection, you got some good deepcuts in the concert list 😋 I'm so happy he's already changing up the setlist from what I saw in Buffalo and Newark; I'm so happy he played I'm On Fire, Johnny 99, Mary's Place, Candy's Room, Out In The Street...

I'm stupid enough I might try to hold a sign at Toronto if he'll play Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. It's early November, it's close enough to Christmas he might do it anyways haha

Although stupider would be to see if I could get tickets for the second show on November 5th as well... 🤔

Awesome!

One of the biggest frustrations of my musical life is that I only got into Springsteen a few months after he came to Brazil. Back then, I only knew a couple of songs by him (the usual suspects), but no more than a year after that I had gone through his whole discography and become a huge fan.

Now I'm pretty sure he ain't coming back around these parts, so I will have to go through the rest of my life knowing I won't see this ass-kicking man live. Dammit!
Never say never; he only toured Australia for the first time in 2017, and he's had roots in Brazil ever since the BitUSA/Amnesty International tour in '88. It may not be as frequent, but I'd still bet he includes South America again in future tours especially if you got big music fests coming up.

But also also, you and @Dragoncaine, keep an eye out on the Nugs.net site for the official Springsteen concert bootlegs. While I don't see the Sao Paolo shows from 2013, they did release the Cape Town, SA shows from 2013 and almost everything since 2014 has had a recording made for sale online. The older shows do get released periodically, so hopefully before long you'll see the show you attended for sale to relive the magic of that specific night knowing you were there

now I have to remember which of my ancient videos I used sandstorm in

probably like

four at least

that sounds more like france tbh

idk I have a worse reaction to overmasking scents. like a little balanced human stink tempered against frequent showers and fresh clothes daily is far less offending to me than allergy potpourri

oh god where is everyone

don’t leave me alone we’re hitting quadruple and quintuple posts over here

awesome! appreciate it, take your time
Sooo I'll just list some stuff that you can check out and see if you would like it.

Genki An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese is a classic textbook for Japanese and in my eyes still a good place to start. You'll learn Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji without it being too overwhelming. Textbooks can be too boring to care for some and for others the structure is exactly what they need. I say look around and you'll find some of it (or the whole book probably idk lol) as a pdf before maybe deciding to buy it. It is available digitally and physically. For me, having a textbook is nice in the beginning to learn the very basics of grammar and writing and then go a little more freely from there. Which leads me to...

Various online resources! Japanese is great for that. It's not easy to learn for an English native, but because of its popularity there are plenty of resources.
Stuff like NHK Web Easy is a news website in simple Japanese, helpful once you already have some foundation of vocabulary and grammar!
YouTube channels like Comprehensible Japanese (I've linked a complete beginner video) can be great for listening AND reading at the same time as there are subtitles through the YouTube CC feature. There are Complete Beginner, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced videos so there is a variety of levels for the language learning journey ahead.
Dictionaries are important! The most well known one is probably jisho. Just put in an English word or a Japanese word in romaji, meaning using the latin alphabet, and it'll spit out dictionary entries, including audio, how common the word is and example sentences.
That brings me to learning vocabulary. One tip: don't be content with words in a vacuum, learn with sentences! It'll make it easier to remember grammar and how to actually use any given word. Anki is a great flashcard program where you use spaced repition systems to learn new words. You can download decks other people have made for the beginning (including ones that are the Genki vocabulary list). After a while I recommend making your own flashcards.

Finally, I want to introduce a very helpful program that isn't quite as cheap because of the subscription model, but super helpful. Migaku lets you parse websites, including video on popular sites like YouTube and Netflix, and click on a word to have a pop up dictionary come up with definitions. Every word will be underlined in red for unknown, yellow for seen, and green for known, which you of course set yourself. It works with YouTube subtitles that use the websites CC feature, so no subtitles baked into the video. Then, you can turn any new vocabulary into flashcards that can even include the audio and a screenshot from e.g. the show you are watching on Netflix. Check the website I linked for more description and screenshots or ask me again for more details. I realize it's a bit much lol Also realize I kind of sound like I'm writing an ad for them right now, I am not affiliated, just like the program. This is how you do immersion as a learner!

Please let me know if you have any more questions or need clarification, or more resources that go into a different direction. If I don't know something I have plenty of people around me to ask. This post got pretty long so I hope it wasn't too daunting. Especially when you're at the very beginning I think the most important thing is to try different things but also be good about studying the fundamentals!

It's midnight here now so I hope this post even makes sense to read lmao

Sooo I'll just list some stuff that you can check out and see if you would like it.

Genki An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese is a classic textbook for Japanese and in my eyes still a good place to start. You'll learn Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji without it being too overwhelming. Textbooks can be too boring to care for some and for others the structure is exactly what they need. I say look around and you'll find some of it (or the whole book probably idk lol) as a pdf before maybe deciding to buy it. It is available digitally and physically. For me, having a textbook is nice in the beginning to learn the very basics of grammar and writing and then go a little more freely from there. Which leads me to...

Various online resources! Japanese is great for that. It's not easy to learn for an English native, but because of its popularity there are plenty of resources.
Stuff like NHK Web Easy is a news website in simple Japanese, helpful once you already have some foundation of vocabulary and grammar!
YouTube channels like Comprehensible Japanese (I've linked a complete beginner video) can be great for listening AND reading at the same time as there are subtitles through the YouTube CC feature. There are Complete Beginner, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced videos so there is a variety of levels for the language learning journey ahead.
Dictionaries are important! The most well known one is probably jisho. Just put in an English word or a Japanese word in romaji, meaning using the latin alphabet, and it'll spit out dictionary entries, including audio, how common the word is and example sentences.
That brings me to learning vocabulary. One tip: don't be content with words in a vacuum, learn with sentences! It'll make it easier to remember grammar and how to actually use any given word. Anki is a great flashcard program where you use spaced repition systems to learn new words. You can download decks other people have made for the beginning (including ones that are the Genki vocabulary list). After a while I recommend making your own flashcards.

Finally, I want to introduce a very helpful program that isn't quite as cheap because of the subscription model, but super helpful. Migaku lets you parse websites, including video on popular sites like YouTube and Netflix, and click on a word to have a pop up dictionary come up with definitions. Every word will be underlined in red for unknown, yellow for seen, and green for known, which you of course set yourself. It works with YouTube subtitles that use the websites CC feature, so no subtitles baked into the video. Then, you can turn any new vocabulary into flashcards that can even include the audio and a screenshot from e.g. the show you are watching on Netflix. Check the website I linked for more description and screenshots or ask me again for more details. I realize it's a bit much lol Also realize I kind of sound like I'm writing an ad for them right now, I am not affiliated, just like the program. This is how you do immersion as a learner!

Please let me know if you have any more questions or need clarification, or more resources that go into a different direction. If I don't know something I have plenty of people around me to ask. This post got pretty long so I hope it wasn't too daunting. Especially when you're at the very beginning I think the most important thing is to try different things but also be good about studying the fundamentals!

Oops, have one more thing to say: Nothing I mentioned here is really a deep cut or anything. Other people are very welcome to add onto this or even disagree with me on what they found useful! But I think a lot here is popular for students because it does the job.
Also combining Netflix Japan (through VPN) with Migaku is insane for anime fans who want to learn Japanese, it's just endless material

Omg no way they made a Darude Sandstorm trailer for Sandland hoooly

Holy shit I thought you were joking 😳

that sounds more like france tbh

idk I have a worse reaction to overmasking scents. like a little balanced human stink tempered against frequent showers and fresh clothes daily is far less offending to me than allergy potpourri
This is one of the reasons I have a hard time in and around LA. It's like every where I go, indoors or out, somehow manages to smell like multiple strong colognes/perfumes mixing together. The air smells like that. It doesn't smell natural somehow.

At least when I go to the central coast that place has the decency to smell like rotting kelp.

wii-sports-baseball.gif

this was a phenomenal post, i’ve bookmarked it and gonna start by finding a pdf of Genki tomorrow morning! thank you so much, this is more than i thought i’d get as a response, i hope other people will also be able to gain something from this super insightful post!

I dunno if it was listed in that wall of text, but this website...
is what I used when I was foolishly trying to learn the language. They give each katakana/hiragana an image for you to memorize, which is so easy, then test you on a website that gives instant results, it's so good.

season 2 episode 6 of the bear was hilarious, insane and so brilliantly acted and directed. the only other episode of tv that has left me that breathless is ozymandias

season 2 episode 6 of the bear was hilarious, insane and so brilliantly acted and directed. the only other episode of tv that has left me that breathless is ozymandias
oooooooooh shit that was a good one, yeah

I fully expect that episode to generate some Emmys this year. Won't say who so as to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but those of yall who have know who

I'd rather post 100 one liners about my favourite games being cool than 100 pages on why Ribbit King is cool. We both know I could do them both but we also know that no one would read the latter
...am I no one to you :(

I dunno if it was listed in that wall of text, but this website...
is what I used when I was foolishly trying to learn the language. They give each katakana/hiragana an image for you to memorize, which is so easy, then test you on a website that gives instant results, it's so good.
oh hell nah we are not calling four paragraphs with line breaks walls of text now

I refuse to abide

oh hell nah we are not calling four paragraphs with line breaks walls of text now

I refuse to abide
I Stand With Paragraphs

(as a chronic wall-of-text generator I was also deeply offended)

The local news is not only covering the Swift album release but are also doing a segment literally just showing the lyrics onscreen

Somebody help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom