• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a thing that's been a trend in blockbuster filmmaking for a while for some reason. Christopher Nolan's recent films have been catching complaints for having dialogue volume so low that the dialogue gets drowned out by the sound and music. People are starting to watch movies and tv with subtitles because of this stuff. Several theories and excuses as to why it's a thing, but it's definitely a thing.
people make their 5.1-7.1 mixes and then say β€œwhat. stereo?? fuck you”

abolish center channel dialogue supremacy

believe in true luddite stereo

really. this is what we’re starting the page with? and leaving my T-Square Paradise gag in the pit to rot?? abhorrent.

This is a thing that's been a trend in blockbuster filmmaking for a while for some reason. Christopher Nolan's recent films have been catching complaints for having dialogue volume so low that the dialogue gets drowned out by the sound and music. People are starting to watch movies and tv with subtitles because of this stuff. Several theories and excuses as to why it's a thing, but it's definitely a thing.
ngl, I think the sound thing and then also the thing where everyone just forgot how to shoot nighttime/low light scenes without just making everything look completely black are like 80% of the reason I've increasingly checked out of TV/movies over the last decade

If I had a complaint about the movie it would be audio, I am not an expert so correct me if there is an erroneous term, sound mixing was great with top notch music. But the dialogue was so low that if I turn the volume up to hear it when the music came in, my house sounded like a clubπŸ˜…

Reminds me of this video I watched... a while ago. It's... a bit of a complex answer. And a mixture of a lot of different reasons.

240308 - Unicorn Overlord
240423 - Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
240523 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
240614 - Monster Hunter Stories HD

Current RPG trajectory for me and my Switch leaves me with no time for mistakes if I am to be able to get all of this done in time for next game to release.

I watch all movies subbed so I can listen to a podcast at the same time

I should watch all movies subbed because I can't fucking hear what anyone is saying anymore. I'm watching Shogun and I can understand what the Japanese characters with subs are saying more than I can with the English character speaking English without subs.

To be honest a lot of movies are mixed for a surround sound setup you'd see in a movie theater, Nolan in particular. If you just use TV speakers or a stereo sound bar that 5.1 audio is having to be filtered through 2 small speakers. Most dialogue is put into the center channel so in a stereo setup it has to be copied into both left and right speakers so it gets drowned out.

I have a 3.0.2 setup and my audio experience has been greatly enhanced. Dialogue is front and center and I can boost the center channel if I want to make the sound from it louder if I want it.

Anyone else still occasionally thinking about Aonuma’s thief game?
you mean The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (2019) ?

apparently he confirmed in Edge that was literally what he meant, but… I still want what we could have had

To be honest a lot of movies are mixed for a surround sound setup you'd see in a movie theater, Nolan in particular. If you just use TV speakers or a stereo sound bar that 5.1 audio is having to be filtered through 2 small speakers. Most dialogue is put into the center channel so in a stereo setup it has to be copied into both left and right speakers so it gets drowned out.

I have a 3.0.2 setup and my audio experience has been greatly enhanced. Dialogue is front and center and I can boost the center channel if I want to make the sound from it louder if I want it.
Yeah but there are even issues in theaters. When Tenet was still in theaters people were saying they couldn't understand the dialogue because it was mixed so quietly relative to the sound and music. Nolan responded that he mixes his films for the theaters with the best audio systems possible, and if you can't understand the dialogue then your theater has a subpar audio system and you should find a better theater with.. what was it, Dolby Atmos or something? Which felt like a big middle finger to those of us who don't live near the big expensive theater chains.

Reminded me of the "just move to the city like a normal person!" response from that Microsoft rep in response to criticism about their always-online requirements (that they backtracked on).

Yeah but there are even issues in theaters. When Tenet was still in theaters people were saying they couldn't understand the dialogue because it was mixed so quietly relative to the sound and music. Nolan responded that he mixes his films for the theaters with the best audio systems possible, and if you can't understand the dialogue then your theater has a subpar audio system and you should find a better theater with.. what was it, Dolby Atmos or something? Which felt like a big middle finger to those of us who don't live near the big expensive theater chains.

Reminded me of the "just move to the city like a normal person!" response from that Microsoft rep in response to criticism about their always-online requirements (that they backtracked on).
smaller theaters don’t even necessarily have 5.1

or their screens are thick material and center is harder to hear

fuckin’ shitty, to be sure, your mix should work for everything

or, if you’re me, your mix should β€œsound okay on the shittiest speakers and headphones you can find and all the audiophiles can fucking deal with it”

fuckin’ shitty, to be sure, your mix should work for everything

or, if you’re me, your mix should β€œsound okay on the shittiest speakers and headphones you can find and all the audiophiles can fucking deal with it”
See I like your approach LOL

and not just because I was your guinea pig for "shittiest car speakers" while you were mixing A Taste of GrΓΆgol Bonanza, now available on music services that I can't remember

Meh. Movies are art, let artists decide the optimal way to experience their work.

I get Nolan's "I only mix for best equipped theaters" is a bit aloof but I don't think "be sure people watching it on their shitty phone on the toilet have the best experience" is a reasonable take either.

dc515c52-3d5a-40a1-8275-c943ac7fa547_text.gif

ngl, I think the sound thing and then also the thing where everyone just forgot how to shoot nighttime/low light scenes without just making everything look completely black are like 80% of the reason I've increasingly checked out of TV/movies over the last decade
game of thrones having two absolutely great actors conversing and this is what it looked like 😭
Screenshot-20240312-180050-Chrome.jpg

Dolby Atmos like Dts X is 3d audio. It's just like 5.1/7.1 surround but with overhead speakers for having sound coming from above you.

If you run Atmos through a system that doesn't support it, it unfolds down to a more traditional 7.1 mix.

Meh. Movies are art, let artists decide the optimal way to experience their work.

I get Nolan's "I only mix for best equipped theaters" is a bit aloof but I don't think "be sure people watching it on their shitty phone on the toilet have the best experience" is a reasonable take either.
there was a saying in my very serious highly prestigious music technology enclave…

β€œif you mix it for Griffins but not for Earbuds, you’ve missed your listeners by a mile”

I think there was a version with β€œtheater” vs. β€œGeo Prizm” too

point is every mix should be rounded to suit a wide swath of audiences β€” and you can have multiple mixes for different contexts

do I follow my own advice for GrΓΆgol Bonanza? …no. i mix on trash headphones because even my MDR7506s make my head hot and my ears have gone to shit anyways

but I try to make them all consistent with each other, or at least to the degree I can without burning myself out!

plus I take a listen in rental cars…

just like. it’s inherently fucked to not at least check your mix for the baseline listener

there was a saying in my very serious highly prestigious music technology enclave…

β€œif you mix it for Griffins but not for Earbuds, you’ve missed your listeners by a mile”

I think there was a version with β€œtheater” vs. β€œGeo Prizm” too

point is every mix should be rounded to suit a wide swath of audiences β€” and you can have multiple mixes for different contexts

do I follow my own advice for GrΓΆgol Bonanza? …no. i mix on trash headphones because even my MDR7506s make my head hot and my ears have gone to shit anyways

but I try to make them all consistent with each other, or at least to the degree I can without burning myself out!

plus I take a listen in rental cars…
Okay but there's a difference between mixing a soundtrack for a game or other music and a whole-ass movie

I saw Oppenheimer in theaters, the way it was meant to be experienced, and I still felt like every 20th or so line of dialogue was difficult to make out.

Okay but there's a difference between mixing a soundtrack for a game or other music and a whole-ass movie
i’ve mixed movies. movies were part of that field. the ethos applies to both! if you only mix for the highest-end system… that’s a shitty thing to do!

I should watch all movies subbed because I can't fucking hear what anyone is saying anymore. I'm watching Shogun and I can understand what the Japanese characters with subs are saying more than I can with the English character speaking English without subs.
I think HBO shows are the worst about this. I can't understand half the characters in Succession unless they are shouting. Thankfully, they usually are!

also for the record mixing a game is probably the trickiest out of all of them, tbh. films are great because they’re fuckin’ fixed in time. you weave on the timeline, you can duck and roll in a fixed state and roll out your clean masterpiece at the end. sure, you have lots of components and can do some wacky things with space… but you’re often given clean channels. you get a whole free lane of center for primary voice β€” which is why yeah, you really do have to carefully bring things back to stereo for home release.

I’d say film audio is highest-fidelity finished product, for sure. but I’d argue recording good film sound is harder than actually mixing it.

game audio has to be dynamic, especially depending on your layers. it’s usually vastly simplified, or focused on a specific trait, but there’s only so much you can do to convince the mix to operate in real time. that said β€” it opens itself to a lot of interesting opportunities.

for example… I wrote a script here that activates a low-pass sweep and speed shift on the music when you dash into something. I can’t control when a player does that, so I have to make sure it works well with everything, even with the relative simplicity of my game.

if the filter was set with a bit too much Q, there are certain sections of songs it would hit a nasty resonance on the way down. I can’t control when they do it, so I better make sure I’ve built the filter well and mixed my music relatively evenly.

hell, it happens in Hollow Knight β€” move between scenes at the wrong part of the song in the tram, where it has that old radio treatment on it, and it pops a bit

in fixed media like film, you can duck or β€œautomate” (nothing automatic about it, that’s what it’s called when you adjust parameters on the timeline) whatever needs adjusting

anyways long ramble

Ugh, nothing worse than getting logged out and not being able to remember the password. It's seems to be none of my usual passwords. And since I don't have access to the email that I used to register I can't reset the password I might have to just let it go.

Ugh, nothing worse than getting logged out and not being able to remember the password. It's seems to be none of my usual passwords. And since I don't have access to the email that I used to register I can't reset the password I might have to just let it go.
Are you talking about your Famiboards account? Submit a ticket to the admins, they might be able to help you out.

Well I'm glad to know that my increasing difficulty in understanding movies without subtitles is not purely due to my eardrums going bad
I'll get this way with font sizes and my eyes sometimes

Like I'll get a brand-new prescription and be face with the question of "oh dang do these need to be even stronger" or "was this game just made by people optimizing for PC monitors just inches away from their face who didn't really account for how it'd actually look on a TV or handheld screen a reasonable distance away"?

I can tell I’ve curated my Youtube and Twitter feeds well when I can encounter dozens and dozens of games media and general gaming folk telling the current β€œforced diversity controversy” babies to grow up and stop throwing tantrums, and I had to look up what they were even talking about because I had seen literally nothing from the other side or had any idea a controversy was even happening other than their responses

I can tell I’ve curated my Youtube and Twitter feeds well when I can encounter dozens and dozens of games media and general gaming folk telling the current β€œforced diversity controversy” babies to grow up and stop throwing tantrums, and I had to look up what they were even talking about because I had seen literally nothing from the other side or had any idea a controversy was even happening other than their responses
I don’t even know what this could be about, so my blocking and β€œdon’t show me” stuff skill must be at another level.

For reasons I can't explain, the music from the Nintendo trailer for Ace Combat 7 has been stuck in my head for weeks.

Seriously, weeks.

When I lived in apartments I got used to wearing earbuds for 90% of my waking hours. It works great for movies if you can sync audio and video, like with the Roku app. I never notice the dialogue issues that I hear about.

When I lived in apartments I got used to wearing earbuds for 90% of my waking hours. It works great for movies if you can sync audio and video, like with the Roku app. I never notice the dialogue issues that I hear about.

With all the noise at home, i should do that too. But i kinda have to hear when the kids go chaos again, and the yells of my wife when it's my turn to make sure they don't kill each other.

With all the noise at home, i should do that too. But i kinda have to hear when the kids go chaos again, and the yells of my wife when it's my turn to make sure they don't kill each other.
I was wearing noise cancelling headphones for a blissful 20 minutes the other day until I too realized this is how it needed to be.

I live in a condo, so I use earbuds/headphones most of the time. I wish my downstairs neighbor would...sounds like a club or something at times and I've had to go multiple times to ask them to turn it down to at least a reasonable level.

I live in a condo, so I use earbuds/headphones most of the time. I wish my downstairs neighbor would...sounds like a club or something at times and I've had to go multiple times to ask them to turn it down to at least a reasonable level.

No offense, but this post goes so well with your username. ^^

Choco you gotta understand something

I’m dumb as hell

Never post before you had your morning Subways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom