• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think 'No. 2' is right, but he's definitely up there I'd say. Without him, the industry-shattering changes that came from Half Life 1, Steam, the Source Engine, Counter Strike, and so on wouldn't have happened. We'd be looking at a totally different gaming landscape right now that I can't even begin to speculate about. Maybe it'd be better, maybe it'd be worse. But looking at how Epic Games has been trying to develop their own Steam, compared to the insanely consumer-friendly and pioneering approach Valve has taken with Steam itself (e.g. how they're still the only 'big player' to allow free, and complete controller customisation on an in-game basis), and I'd be more inclined to say worse.

However, creatively, he hasn't really been as big of a factor into the series he reigned over than Miyamoto did. Half Life 1 and 2 were revolutionary titles but I don't think they were as much 'Gabe Newell's' as, say, Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda were Miyamoto's. They were collaborative projects within Valve instead of ideas born from a single person. Then with games like Portal, Counter Strike, and so on he was more the person that helped propel those games to success, instead of the one who created them in the first place. Though all throughout it's clear that the games Valve makes wouldn't be as technically impressive without him; he clearly knows his stuff in that regard.

Any which way I don't think the dude should be seen as any less important in the industry than your Miyamotos and Kojimas simply because he's more tech and business-focused than creation-focused. Don't think he really deserves the meme 'GabeN is God' stuff (though it's often hard to tell how much people actually mean with that), but he definitely deserves to be considered as one of the 'big names' within the industry.
good points all around and agreed
having seen the notjustbikes on swiss trains made me want to go simply to experience such robust services

however I have never even left my time zone, let alone my country
you should never come to germany, it will make you believe you hate trains

having seen the notjustbikes on swiss trains made me want to go simply to experience such robust services

however I have never even left my time zone, let alone my country
That video actually has a funny mistake or rather inaccuracy when he compares Calgary and Zürich. He says that they both have a population of 1,3m yet Calgary has no intercity train whereas Zürich has 3000 trains per day. The city of Zürich has a population of less than 500k, it's the entire canton that has 1,3m people and a total of 130 rail stations.

I've heard similar sentiment in a few places but brother you have no idea how bad things are in the U.S. (and Canada from what I've heard)
I knoooow but the U.S. is obvious, y'all are fucked train wise lol

But Germany is central europe it should be the core of european railway with beautiful tracks and tight schedules that make you want to explore the continent. Instead I dread going to work because I know that my 15 mins of a train ride will turn into 10 minutes of standing at the station waiting for the late train to arrive and then sitting in the seemingly immovable object that is a German train anytime a leaf falls onto the track.

british people on british trains:
bloimey the national rail has been abolished by rishi sunak, I suppose I'll have to walk for a fortnight until the next prime minister is appointed

american people on british trains:
ooooh pretty old thing is pretty

48834469546_f28d1d8e97_b.jpg

That video actually has a funny mistake or rather inaccuracy when he compares Calgary and Zürich. He says that they both have a population of 1,3m yet Calgary has no intercity train whereas Zürich has 3000 trains per day. The city of Zürich has a population of less than 500k, it's the entire canton that has 1,3m people and a total of 130 rail stations.
I had to accept a while ago not to take these youtubers at face value when it comes to information about places I've never been

you should never come to germany, it will make you believe you hate trains
Lol a couple of trains I booked during my Europe trip were late and the only explanation offered to me by the station personnel was that they were German

bloimey the national rail has been abolished by rishi sunak, I suppose I'll have to walk for a fortnight until the next prime minister is appointed

Heritage railways are probably better than all consumer rail services outside London; especially the heritage rail services that take you to and from ale festivals.

I've been taking Amtrak every few months to go up to company HQ. It's been great. I can sleep or watch Youtube videos while on the train instead of driving. Ironically, I still need to drive from my house to the Amtrak station but the total amount of driving gets cut from 6 hours to just 1 by taking the train. The train has always been on time, even when they said they were going to be late one time, so I'm never late to anything.

My girlfriend was very amused when I was geeking out about getting to use the Shinkansen next year. But it will just always be my favourite way to travel.

I had to accept a while ago not to take these youtubers at face value when it comes to information about places I've never been

Oh, don't get me wrong, the video is largely correct. I just found it funny that the comparison is even more egregious. A city of 1,3m not having an intercity rail connection is unthinkable in Switzerland because there are no cities that big. I grew up in a small town with 9000 peeps that had trains to Zürich every 30 minutes.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the video is largely correct. I just found it funny that the comparison is even more egregious. A city of 1,3m not having an intercity rail connection is unthinkable in Switzerland because there are no cities that big. I grew up in a small town with 9000 peeps that had trains to Zürich every 30 minutes.
based country...

To be fair, none of the trains people actually use for regular travel look like that. They look like this at best:

6897256555_f15f9fb507_b.jpg

Or this at worst:

0_Pacer-Trains-on-Teesside-which-will-have-to-be-replaced-under-franchise-plans-announced-this-morning.jpg

(Btw the above two-carriage shite train is very often used for long-distance journeys between popular locations)

If they even turn up at all they do so late, and arrive at your destination just in time for you to miss your bus/train connection (I've lost probably 30 hours of my life to exactly this issue...). Then when you're riding on them it's a crap-shoot as to whether you get to sit down at all (ofc the 20% of the train dedicated to First Class is always empty). If you do, you're gambling as to whether you'll have a relatively quiet journey, or one filled with absolutely hammered dickheads on their way to a Stag Do/Hen Party/Footie Match singing Sweet Caroline and Rhinestone Cowboy at the top of their lungs at 5pm. If it's hot you feel like you could literally die at any moment, and if it's cold you feel like you're gonna end up like Jack Torrance at the end of The Shining. Either way, you're paying ridiculous amounts for the privilege (and even more if you're unlucky enough to not be eligible for a railcard), and doing so at relatively piss-poor speeds, as we're roughly 50 years behind in high-speed rail improvements.

It's definitely not the fantasy of sitting in your own booth on a luxurious Steam Train, reading Jane Eyre and looking wistfully at the Autumnal fields, before buying some scones and tea from the trolley lady, that you see in Hollywood movies that include UK trains.

Last edited:
I've been taking Amtrak every few months to go up to company HQ. It's been great. I can sleep or watch Youtube videos while on the train instead of driving. Ironically, I still need to drive from my house to the Amtrak station but the total amount of driving gets cut from 6 hours to just 1 by taking the train. The train has always been on time, even when they said they were going to be late one time, so I'm never late to anything.
that's the thing, amtrak blows but it's still trains

I can't even imagine how much more popular Nintendo Switch would be in the United States if most people used them daily

Two years ago my dad had a small stroke that left him partially blind on one eye which is why he hasn't used the car since. For an immigrant who came to Switzerland in the 80s and mostly used the car to travel it was a super difficult change... until he went on a weekend trip with my mom by train and they had breakfast in the dining car. It changed his whole perspective on it and he loves trains now.

Lol a couple of trains I booked during my Europe trip were late and the only explanation offered to me by the station personnel was that they were German
yuuup hours long delays are standard, and then you're stranded at the local central station from 1:30am-4:30am...

I think it goes to show just how bad english trains are that I didn't realise German trains were bad when I was there (I was only between Berlin and Dessau so that might have had something to do with it)

Contemplating selling off or donating some old games once again, whittling away at what's left of my collection. Definitely selling a handful of Switch games I no longer use and am unlikely to ever go back to, but for older systems it's a tough choice. I've got a handful of things which have either held their price really well or which are becoming quite valuable, including limited editions for stuff like Samus Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Majora's Mask 3D, and late 3DS titles like FE Echoes and Dragon Quest 7 and 8. Thing is, it'd mean selling games I really like, but which I'm also unlikely to be using again.

Probably I'll hang onto certain franchises (Zelda!) and the limited editions for now.

Contemplating selling off or donating some old games once again, whittling away at what's left of my collection. Definitely selling a handful of Switch games I no longer use and am unlikely to ever go back to, but for older systems it's a tough choice. I've got a handful of things which have either held their price really well or which are becoming quite valuable, including limited editions for stuff like Samus Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Majora's Mask 3D, and late 3DS titles like FE Echoes and Dragon Quest 7 and 8. Thing is, it'd mean selling games I really like, but which I'm also unlikely to be using again.

Probably I'll hang onto certain franchises (Zelda!) and the limited editions for now.
I like the Tim Rogers method of collecting physical games, which focuses on quality over quantity. Collecting a couple of favorites is vastly more appealing (to me) than collecting a hoard of favorites and also a copy of Adventure Island for the Gamecube.

again and again

Yesterday, Team17 shared that they parted ways with their CEO and had layoffs too.

They've been having issues including reports of a toxic work environment and trying to get into NFT's.

Done with the compendium!

I was thinking that maybe now going after side quests, wells, bubbul frogs and Koroks would be too exhausting but you know what? I am going to squeeze as much content out of this game as humanly possible.

Never mind. I looked at my quest log and to complete all of them, I will have to collect a total of 20 diamonds

They're like Pokemon; they say their own names, and in increasingly threatening tones as they gather in numbers and approach you in physical proximity

Your screen monitor is not a suitable barrier. They are coming. WOHOY is coming.
WOHOY
holy shit I think we might have it

@Concernt has been calling them “Taffyface” but Wohoy is incredible
big fan of the wohoys
Me making this thread: What a fun anniversary! My favorite number, Mario's coming out. Things are looking up!

The thread: wohoy
Oh, shit! I established spicy Famiboards lore by accident? Better react to this in a reasonable, subdued manner

Oh no thats worse than I feared
As a fellow European, you're welcome.

As someone commuting to work on a train as we speak, I highly approve of Train Discussion. So glad to be in walking distance of a train again. And to think that much of the rest of the world has it better! The trains in Osaka made me jealous.

Same.

Though I fuckin' hate British trains. That's not a train problem, though. That's a '13 years of Tory rule' problem.
Mate don't get me started on the trains up here. Northern Rail is an actual joke, we need HS3 yesterday.

I wish we could have a new prime minister in a fortnight

... actually no they'd probably be worse somehow

One of my favorite things about going to dead of Winter Cavaliers games was driving from here up to the Green Road RTA station, and riding it all the way into downtown Cleveland. Once you enter the train, you don't have to be outside again until you're leaving the train when it gets back to the same station at the end of the day.

Surprised there isn't more talk about this? President confirms there will be Switch games until March 2025. Most of us would assume there would be games passed the new hardware, but now we know for how long. And it's a shorter window than I anticipated.

I saw another article about new hardware but i can't find it now.

Surprised there isn't more talk about this? President confirms there will be Switch games until March 2025. Most of us would assume there would be games passed the new hardware, but now we know for how long. And it's a shorter window than I anticipated.

Nowhere does Furukawa say Switch support ends in March 2025. He just confirms what we already know, given that Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario TTYD Remake and Metroid Prime 4 aren't scheduled for this fiscal year.

I don't really find this super valuable because it matches with how Nintendo typically handles transitions from successful hardware. The Game Boy Advance was a third pillar, as was the DS. The Wii still got a handful of games after the Wii U came out. This is how they do business.

I still expect them to mostly cut and run when the new hardware is out, but there will be a handful of releases for the purposes of lip service.

Try checking the future hardware thread.

Yeah because they are going to work on Switch 2

Oh I shared the GoNintendo article about this, but also at 3AM 😅 I think what's interesting to take away from it though is that the February January Direct of 2024 will also be exclusively focused on Switch titles. Which, makes sense; one last holiday season of Switch means it'd annoy a lot of parents who're buying it now for their kids only to find the next console is being announced like eight weeks later, but also throws the timing speculation of announcement and release in a tizzy. Calendar Q1 2024 is now eliminated, so we really could see movement anywhere between April and September and that's just gonna split the H1 and H2 factions even harder and make hardware speculation even more insufferable

Not even giving severance pay is evil
I used to be a contract employee. You don't get shit when they cut you off, because you "aren't a real employee" and it's expected that you're essentially a freelancer who'll just pop right into another contract job somewhere else, like magic.

Fuck I love old stuff

I mean ooooh pretty old thing is pretty

by the way. Cocoon rips. all-time fucking great game so far. Easily muscled into my top 20, maybe 10.

it is profoundly rare that something feels like the gameplay is in some way actually new.

and don’t get me wrong. it’s puzzles. you have bosses with patterns. it’s maybe not reinventing the wheel…

but in presentation and execution it constantly FEELS like it’s reinventing the wheel. I fucking love it.

by the way. Cocoon rips. all-time fucking great game so far. Easily muscled into my top 20, maybe 10.

it is profoundly rare that something feels like the gameplay is in some way actually new.

and don’t get me wrong. it’s puzzles. you have bosses with patterns. it’s maybe not reinventing the wheel…

but in presentation and execution it constantly FEELS like it’s reinventing the wheel. I fucking love it.
Oh, nice. Switch, yeah? Is it in line with INSIDE vis a vis moment-to-moment gameplay, generally?

Oh, nice. Switch, yeah? Is it in line with INSIDE vis a vis moment-to-moment gameplay, generally?
No! it’s actually quite a departure. it’s almost more like a 2D Zelda… there’s combat, but much more sparsely and interesting

it weirdly scratches the same itch for me that Hyper Light Drifter does. but instead of being semi-powerful / dying, you’re very not powerful… but things shift around you

and yes, Switch!

Other day I was thinking about the Cloud games available on Switch...

Hypothetically, for the next hardware, if companies like Square, Ubisoft, Capcom, decided to sell actual native versions of the games they already have as Cloud options on our current Switch.. do you think they'd offer some kind of upgrade option? After all, the Cloud versions on Switch usually cost the same price as native versions elsewhere...

If you "own" Resident Evil 2 Remake Cloud on Switch, being able to just access a digital native version on the next system like backwards compatibility.
I know everybody was busy talking about purple creatures when I posted.

But I think it's better not hold my breath on that matter... in fact, I'd doubtful these companies would even double down on native ports now they already commited on the cloud versions. Otherwise, they'll be kinda "forced" to offer some solution for people that opted for the Cloud version and I don't feel they are willing to do such thing.

Anyone here played dynasty warriors 9 empires? I thought the demo was pretty cool but the opinions seem to very mixed, not sure what to think of it

I think it goes to show just how bad english trains are that I didn't realise German trains were bad when I was there (I was only between Berlin and Dessau so that might have had something to do with it)
German trains are hot garbage, especially in rural areas, and I praise every day I don't have to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom