• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt like that thread was about the technical aspects of future Nintendo hardware, so I posted this here. Sorry ^^'

Oh it is, but there's also general discussions about release, launch game, possible gimmicks ... oh and a lot of my dad jokes.

I’ve only played a few songs, but Trombone Champ is excellent silly fun and a good rhythm game too! I’ll have an opportunity to play with friends soon and I imagine that’s going to be a hilarious and fun mess in practice.
Did you try the IR controls? Have a real morbid curiosity about this one. I think all of the joycon bells and whistles would make a Wii Music 2 actually work well. I’m sure the well is poisoned form the first game though to make a “Switch Music” DOA. Plus they would probably use Sportsmates and that’s bad.

Did you try the IR controls? Have a real morbid curiosity about this one. I think all of the joycon bells and whistles would make a Wii Music 2 actually work well. I’m sure the well is poisoned form the first game though to make a “Switch Music” DOA. Plus they would probably use Sportsmates and that’s bad.
Not yet! They didn’t advertise it in the Direct, but you can play with the Pro Controller if you want with motion controls so I didn’t feel like reaching for the Joy Cons. Definitely will give them and the IR controls a try next time I play!

Yeah uh.. pick this conversation back up once you're done with FR. 😅
and make sure you stay till after the credits
I bookmarked this post so I could come back to it once I'm done after finishing FR (holy shit that post-credit scene, what a long-term payoff??).

But I'm still confused about the hypothetical placement of FR if it had been part of the main game. Mind elaborating?

Enjoyable 45 minutes or so on F ZERO 99 raising my leaderboard position by THREE THOUSAND PLACES from like 7000 to 4000 but still...

Meanwhile my brain is weighing up two post-Direct realities.

Damn there’s a crapton of new demos. Wanted to try out Dave the Diver and also found Star Ocean and Dragon Quest Monsters

Heads up for those who want the Noah and Mio Amiibo, they are now available at the My Nintendo Stores.

Noah and Mio got that Xenoblade tax

40 bucks lol

Yeah it sucks. At least shipping is free this time.

Though, i'm part of the problem cause i rather pay the Nintendo tax than feeding some scalper ass even more money on eBay or similar shops.

-----

E:

Little PSA, at least for the german My Nintendo Store, if you're using a Gmail account, you might not get E-Mails from the shop right now.

I registered interest for when the Dorf and Zelda TotK Amiibo are available and never got the registration confirmation mail.
And just now after ordering the Noah and Mio ones, no order confirmation mail. But it shows up in my order history on the store.

me after finishing the Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy

thinking-sad.gif

Yeah it sucks. At least shipping is free this time.

Though, i'm part of the problem cause i rather pay the Nintendo tax than feeding some scalper ass even more money on eBay or similar shops.

-----

E:

Little PSA, at least for the german My Nintendo Store, if you're using a Gmail account, you might not get E-Mails from the shop right now.

I registered interest for when the Dorf and Zelda TotK Amiibo are available and never got the registration confirmation mail.
And just now after ordering the Noah and Mio ones, no order confirmation mail. But it shows up in my order history on the store.
I wasn't interested in the amiibo, but I have just got a delightful set of The Roost coasters using platinum points. Kudos!

I'm so glad next year is a transitional year for Nintendo. I know I'm kidding myself, but if there's a little bit of brake pumping going on due to the new hardware that gives me a change to theoretically work the backlog a little.

Narrator: That won't happen

What is the context behind all of the weird purple face avatars I'm seeing all over here? Some sort of avatar bet?
Halloween came early this year 😂

Tons of games in my backlog yet i'm considering replaying Super Mario Odyssey (Not played it since I beat it back in 2017 tbf)
If it's any consolation, I still haven't gotten all the moons in that. I think only the first 2-3 worlds are "100%" on my save.

I've been notoriously bad about 100%ing Nintendo games since the N64 era{/ispoiler]

Curious how people feel about the Baten Kaitos remaster. It's not terrible but I haven't been entirely happy with the performance. Maybe I need to get further into the game.

As an Android user, what is the appeal behind iPhone's Dynamic Island? Genuine question, because to me it just looks like Apple poaches Android hardware/software developers and pairs them with a marketing degree.

oH iT tElLs YoU hOw LoNg YoUr PhOnE cAlL hAs BeEn GoInG oN fOr, It HaS pRiVaCy FeAtUrEs WhEn YoUr mIc Or CaMeRa ArE bEiNg UsEd

The last upgrade my Pixel 3a had before I jumped to Pixel 7 enabled a green icon in the corner of my screen whenever I was about to make a story on Instagram, and I think the last time a phone shipped without telling you how long your call has been going on for was sometime in the early 1990s

If it's any consolation, I still haven't gotten all the moons in that. I think only the first 2-3 worlds are "100%" on my save.

I've been notoriously bad about 100%ing Nintendo games since the N64 era{/ispoiler]

I don’t 100% games either tbh, maybe I should load up my old save and pick up from where I left off with that instead.

How much is the Baten Kaitos Collection? I want to complain about the price of a game I was on the fence about buying like all the cool kids.

Hey guys, when do we start seeing TGS announcements?
Level 5’s stream is the 21st at 21 jst
How much is the Baten Kaitos Collection? I want to complain about the price of a game I was on the fence about buying like all the cool kids.
$50 and digital only in NA. I’m waiting on a sale since BN. Tho I could sell my gamecube copy of the original to cover it

I bookmarked this post so I could come back to it once I'm done after finishing FR (holy shit that post-credit scene, what a long-term payoff??).

But I'm still confused about the hypothetical placement of FR if it had been part of the main game. Mind elaborating?
First of all, WOOOOO 🙌

Second:
I don't feel so much that FR as it was released would've slotted into the main game (the way Torna was gonna), more that the big Xeno lore connections would've. I'll bullet-point it a bit so it's not just an impenetrable wall of text:

• Monolith said from the beginning that they wanted XB3 to be approachable by newcomers, and that having a ton of story from 1 and 2 could've confused them or put them off
  • The final chapters of 3, after the big character arcs are mostly at their peak and the story is just rolling towards the finale, don't have anything in the vein of the "late game rug-pull" twists that XB games are known for, which usually appear in the form of cinematic lore-dumps
  • Due to that, I felt that the final act of XB3 was missing "something," especially after the awkward Colony Omega part, where I (and others, going off the spoiler thread at the time) was waiting for the big XB1/2-style twist that never came.
  • On top of all that, many felt the main villain Z was poorly fleshed-out and barely utilized in the story (coming back to this later).

• Then FR comes along, with info dumps right smack in the middle of the story that flesh out a lot of stuff about how Origin was made and how the worlds came together and how the Trinity Processor factors into it, which was one of the big things that felt like it was missing from the final chapters of the main game. After finishing XB3, people (in the spoiler thread, and I assume other areas of the fandom) were asking "how the hell did these cultures have the tech to design and build something like Origin?" and the answer was "Alvis' core," but they wouldn't say that in the main game because they decided to keep XB1/2 lore out of it.
  • FR's main villain is also a full-circle moment for the series, with a pivotal character from 1 (who is part of 1's rug-pull moment and is slightly retconned into 2's backstory as well) being the baddie who pulls the strings to make a lot of the bad shit in 3 happen. It would have been a major reveal in the main game, and could have been part of why Z seemed almost superfluous if the Alvis connection was initially brainstormed as part of the main story.
  • So the Alvis part, the Alvis'-core-built-Origin part, the big lore dumps (and the "piano scene" ffs), are all things that not only could have been initially planned to be part of the main game, but even before FR came out this stuff felt missing from the main game, before we even knew what it was!

• And then, of course, the ending-ending: the credits sequence showing not just scenes from the DLC or its main game but scenes from the whole series, with images of all three Monados (yes I count the Aegis as a Monado) appearing in the background, the song being sung by Joanne Hogg, who was the singer of the themes for Goddamn Xenogears, and the little bit after the credits where they answer one other big question we had: what actually happened to the worlds post-Origin? All of those things made FR feel like a genuine end to the series, tying a bow on the whole trilogy, as you'd think the end of the third part in the trilogy would do. But instead the third part of the trilogy was made to stand alone, with an epilogue to do the heavy lore lifting and "finish" the series proper.
  • So it seems to me that early on a decision was made to "cut the Xeno out of Xenoblade 3" and remove these connective ideas they had so that the main game would stand on its own and all the lore and connections for longtime fans could be jammed into an optional fanservice-filled extra chapter.

And I realize now that all might sound like I'm being kinda negative and I really don't mean to be! I'm thrilled by FR and what it contains, and am genuinely glad they did it. If the choices were between having all of the above in a separate DLC chapter vs not having it at all, I'd take the DLC all day. I just can't help but feel that the hole I felt after finishing XB3 last year was initially meant to be filled by all this stuff and that it was removed to make it more digestible. Because FR fits the shape of that hole almost too well.

Last edited:

Really cool we can now identify this kind of easter egg due the high fidelity; The original was just a vague pixel sandwich

There was that earlier discovery that Booster's toybox had the F-1 car from Stunt Race FX and a Disk-Kun (the Famicom Disk System mascot) doll or plushie. Disk-Kun was probably of particular significance to Square given the FDS played a significant role with the company prior to Final Fantasy.

There was that earlier discovery that Booster's toybox had the F-1 car from Stunt Race FX and a Disk-Kun (the Famicom Disk System mascot) doll or plushie. Disk-Kun was probably of particular significance to Square given the FDS played a significant role with the company prior to Final Fantasy.

By the way, as much Nintendo is trying to hide it for some reason, this remake is totally being done internally by Square; Not only they're retaining their own references on it, the CG quality has that unmistakable Square touch

By the way, as much Nintendo is trying to hide it for some reason, this remake is totally being done internally by Square; Not only they're retaining their own references on it, the CG quality has that unmistakable Square touch
Don't think they're really intentionally hiding. They're just weird about usually not telling people who does their games beforehand :LOL:

That said, I'm still not convinced it's done by Square but with TTYD being apparently developed by IS, the most popular other guess seems out of the picture 🤔

Last night I finally finished Pikmin 4 (at 3AM 🙃 Kept having to rewind time because of mass Pikmin losses and realizing too late that Oatchi could also take care of the elemental hazards without having to sacrifice Pikmin and dodge those stupid electrical beams)

But also I played myself because I should have focused on curing the rest of the Leaflings and Olimar's side adventure instead of the final boss, so now the game recognized that I completed 98% minus the final treasure in the final area, seven leaflings to be cured and finished Olimar's thing in ~51 days.

Although I do wish Pikmin 4 DLC was announced at the Direct, I think the game was just long enough that it was close to wearing out its welcome. A perfect length of 45 hours spent in-game. By far my new favourite Pikmin game, even ahead of Pikmin 1. I'll probably go back and finish the last couple Dandori challenges after I jump into The Teal Mask in Pokemon, but for now I'm content to finally mark this off the backlog and move it to my completed games group on my Switch

Anyone planning on getting Infinity Strash?
I'd be considering it more seriously if there was a physical option tbh. If it reviews well and the Switch version is good, I might get it early in 2024 - at the moment I'm not sure if I'll be buying any of Nintendo's offerings after Christmas so I'm considering my other options.

Don't think they're really intentionally hiding. They're just weird about usually not telling people who does their games beforehand :LOL:

That said, I'm still not convinced it's done by Square but with TTYD being apparently developed by IS, the most popular other guess seems out of the picture 🤔
Could be Square Enix and TOSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom