• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST21 June 2023| Welcome to Famipark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For real, this case must be quite demoralizing for the people under the Activision Blizzard umbrella that don't work on Call of Duty. It's like "Wow, absolutely no one gives a flying fuck about our work, huh?"
“I wish people cared about our games. Everyone only cares about Call of Duty.”

Activision: “What’s that? You want to be a COD support studio? Permission granted!”

“Uhh that’s not what we meant.”

“I wish people cared about our games. Everyone only cares about Call of Duty.”

Activision: “What’s that? You want to be a COD support studio? Permission granted!”

“Uhh that’s not what we meant.”
Crash Bandicoot? Donkey Kong?! What are you talking about? Back into the acid mines Call of Duty content creation you go!

Let us dispel the false dichotomy that Final Fantasy must choose between being a niche indie game made for traditional fans and weebs and a big budget AAA game with more global appeal. There is literally nothing stopping them from making a game that does and satisfies both. Most arguments creating this weird schism seem to be completely based on false assumptions from focus group testing rather than them repeatedly failing when attempting to make a game that actually does that.

I'm not going to argue about what FFXVI is or isn't or how unfinal fantasy like or final fantasyish it is in practice but really going by the interviews, media hype I don't really know what to say other than that the developers at times gave off major "Jack Skellington wants to be Santa and king of Christmas town" vibes.

I'm not criticizing the game for what it does or what it actually is but it felt like Square went out of their way to suck the wind from the sails of traditional Final Fantasy fans from day one who might have wanted to go into this hoping "hey maybe I'll like this one actually", with a total "this ain't your Dad's Final Fantasy" energy. On one hand there is arguing why they think their new combat system is cool and the best one to go with and then theres " Old Final Fantasy sux bro. It's 2023 we can't have a game where you just like click on menus and stuff"

If we want to be that reductionist about those game's combat then new final fantasy is just mashing X to win. Obviously it's so much more than that but reducing classic Final Fantasy to "clicking on menus", says to me that they don't really even understand what made those games good, why they became a global phenomenon or how you would even go about making a game that bridges the gap between those games and modern conventions in a successful way that makes everyone happy.
Are you saying it’s…. “Final Fantasy Ja Nai”

Everyone, Nintendo already found a compromise between turned based combat and action combat for RPGs!

81V7L6auixL.jpg

More expensive yet more popular than Final Fantasy. The results speak for themselves.

Pikmin 4 is leaking like an mf thanks to datamines. Is anyone gonna make a non-spoiler spoiler thread? Just have one question I'd like to ask

Can you believe that it's been over 9 years since this?

This has basically been the main Link for 9 years. Two mainline games that are the biggest in the series. One Warriors spinoff. Lots of waiting but the highest highs the series has ever experienced.

Nevermind the fact he was Smash Ultimate’s representation of Link

Let us dispel the false dichotomy that Final Fantasy must choose between being a niche indie game made for traditional fans and weebs and a big budget AAA game with more global appeal. There is literally nothing stopping them from making a game that does and satisfies both. Most arguments creating this weird schism seem to be completely based on false assumptions from focus group testing rather than them repeatedly failing when attempting to make a game that actually does that.

I'm not going to argue about what FFXVI is or isn't or how unfinal fantasy like or final fantasyish it is in practice but really going by the interviews, media hype I don't really know what to say other than that the developers at times gave off major "Jack Skellington wants to be Santa and king of Christmas town" vibes.

I'm not criticizing the game for what it does or what it actually is but it felt like Square went out of their way to suck the wind from the sails of traditional Final Fantasy fans from day one who might have wanted to go into this hoping "hey maybe I'll like this one actually", with a total "this ain't your Dad's Final Fantasy" energy. On one hand there is arguing why they think their new combat system is cool and the best one to go with and then theres " Old Final Fantasy sux bro. It's 2023 we can't have a game where you just like click on menus and stuff"

If we want to be that reductionist about those game's combat then new final fantasy is just mashing X to win. Obviously it's so much more than that but reducing classic Final Fantasy to "clicking on menus", says to me that they don't really even understand what made those games good, why they became a global phenomenon or how you would even go about making a game that bridges the gap between those games and modern conventions in a successful way that makes everyone happy.
FF7R felt to me like a perfect compromise between old and new. The combat is real-time, but still based around a command menu, you can't just mash buttons, the game encourages you to wait for "your turn", while blocking and healing to keep your party alive, like in a turn-based game.

An original FF with that style of combat, and a more "Final Fantasy-y" tone than XVI would be my ideal FFXVII, but of course, I expect Square to try and reinvent the wheel again when we get to that point. I should just be glad we're getting two more games of FF7R combat.

Around the World (of Jazz) in 30 Days

Day 29: “Golden State” Yellowjackets

Our tour is almost over, so we head back to the states, specifically California. The Yellowjackets are one of the long time fusion bands and have managed to keep going for 40 plus years despite significant lineup changes. This is a more recent song. I particularly like the bass, drum, and key work playing behind what I think is bass clarinet that happens in between he solos (it also works great when the piano takes center stage). Almost has this eerie, Bowser’s castle vibe to it, and that melody continues to drive the through the solos, creating an ethereal quality in a lot of ways.

I got an email about the steam summer sale, and I saw that Scarlet Nexus was 14$, so I downloaded the demo to try it. I also saw SH2 at 24$ but no demo.

It be funny that if I like scarlet nexus and buy it, it will be announced for switch lol. It happened when I bought The Last Remnant and Stranger of Sword City.

Still low key losing my mind over that Blade Runner announcement. So many amazing possibilities for that IP in regards to a video game.

Been having fun with my second FEWTH route. Also got some FFVIII momentum going. Now am I starting AI the Somnium files as my evening game

Anyone have a link to that JP meme of "Final Fantasy is for old people" meme that was floating around about a week ago? GIS is failing me :(
The only thing I got is this one that I share often:
BXmpTt0.jpg

(I'm the grandma in this meme)

I'm really happy to see A Space for the Unbound on this list!
Same! I have some quibbles with it as far as it being an actual game goes and some of its pacing, but it's a truly special experience. I'm not honestly sure that I can think of a better last culminating 1-2 hours in a game... period. The way it comes together and just hits at the end is incredible.

I wonder what Nintendo is going to announce today so that people don't pay attention to Everybody 1-2 Switch? I'm thinking Tears of the Kingdom 2.

I got an email about the steam summer sale, and I saw that Scarlet Nexus was 14$, so I downloaded the demo to try it. I also saw SH2 at 24$ but no demo.

It be funny that if I like scarlet nexus and buy it, it will be announced for switch lol. It happened when I bought The Last Remnant and Stranger of Sword City.
This reminds me that I still haven't given SN a fair chance to impress me yet. Only ever played the opening hour or two and then dropped it.

Everyone, Nintendo already found a compromise between turned based combat and action combat for RPGs!

81V7L6auixL.jpg

More expensive yet more popular than Final Fantasy. The results speak for themselves.

Imagine you'd have to do the flashy moves in FF XVI or Bayonetta/DMC as actual training moves with the Ring-Con.

That fanbase would be the most fit group of people on this world.

Imagine you'd have to do the flashy moves in FF XVI or Bayonetta/DMC as actual training moves with the Ring-Con.

Pretty sure that happened before with Ring Fit.

I was disappointed to go on Metacritic and see zero Stinky Horse reviews. I guess Nintendo didn’t give anyone an early copy in anticipation of bad scores.

I was disappointed to go on Metacritic and see zero Stinky Horse reviews. I guess Nintendo didn’t give anyone an early copy in anticipation of bad scores.
Reviewers are so impressed with the game they've left this plane of existence and have ascended far beyond the need to ever write a review.

I mean…
IMG-9967.jpg

(Obviously there’s also the Blizzard part who is much more successful and often forgotten, I get your point)
Yeah, I was mostly thinking about things like Diablo IV when I wrote that: huge success, positive critical reception, part of an incredibly popular franchise... nobody cares in this trial. It's all CoD when it comes to the future of ActiBlizz.

Lowkey this was an awesome moment in gaming. Storywise, Sephiroth isn’t that deep of a villain, but he has to be the antagonist with the best presentation.

Pretty sure that happened before with Ring Fit.
Henry Cavill

Nintendo just shipped my copies.
Yo hold up here.

“Copies”?

I’ve been routinely disappointed that neither Atlus or Square have patched in Ring Con support into their turn based RPGs. Dead serious here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom