• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST17 Feb 2023| Octopath Traveling II Directland Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I don't know, like, all Canadians but I'm shocked that of the few I do know, none of them care for Timmie's. πŸ˜… Like how drastically different the stereotype is from my experience.
Timmie's is trash, that much is true, but it's our trash.

Yet people give me shit for the 30 chrome tabs open on my phone 🀣
Oh they give me shit for that, too. My reason I haven't sent in my Pixel 3a yet for the rebate from buying my Pixel 7 off Google is because I have some unholy 100+ tabs open in Chrome that I swear I'm going to get back to soon. (I already have 70 tabs on my Pixel 7 since setting it up this past November πŸ™ƒ)

Even now I have 18 tabs open on my work laptop as I write this (maybe six are actually work-related).

I do think there’s a generational divide stemming from Tim’s being all a lot of Canadians had for decades, especially in rural/less urban places. But the popularization of non-Tims coffee places around the country, plus… well I can’t statistically back this up or anything, but wow, Tim Horton’s coffee sure got real not-great over the years (iirc their prices did not rise in price along with inflation, meaning costs must have been cut somewhere along the line) means that sentiment around Tim Horton’s has, in my anecdotal experience, plummeted among a lot of younger Canadians. People want Starbucks, or Second Cup, or honestly even McDonald’s or A&W coffee over Tim Hortons nowadays.

I’m sure this illegal data-harvesting lawsuit did not help their public image.

Canadian A&W (which is an entirely different entity from American A&W, owned by a completely different group) is genuinely the best fast food up here. Better than Subway! I worked at one in high school and all it did was make me love it more.
No, it's true. I forget where I read it, but the original supplier of Tim Horton's arabica beans contract was due for renewal sometime in the 90s I think it was, and Tim Horton's decided coffee was where they were going to cut costs so they went with a cheaper, crappier brand. McDonald's however, saw an opportunity and snatched up that same supplier in a heartbeat. It was around then right when they first started doing breakfast stuff (or at least taking it more seriously). So the reason McDonald's coffee is so much better than Tim Horton's is because it originally was Tim Horton's lol

I mean if it weren't for all the various union busting bullshit, CEO profit hoarding, environmental damage and illegal labour practices, corporate pettiness is some of the funniest shit to watch unfold

No, it's true. I forget where I read it, but the original supplier of Tim Horton's arabica beans contract was due for renewal sometime in the 90s I think it was, and Tim Horton's decided coffee was where they were going to cut costs so they went with a cheaper, crappier brand. McDonald's however, saw an opportunity and snatched up that same supplier in a heartbeat. It was around then right when they first started doing breakfast stuff (or at least taking it more seriously). So the reason McDonald's coffee is so much better than Tim Horton's is because it originally was Tim Horton's lol

I mean if it weren't for all the various union busting bullshit, CEO profit hoarding, environmental damage and illegal labour practices, corporate pettiness is some of the funniest shit to watch unfold
honestly it makes me wonder what Tim’s even has going for them

like, it’s 2023: information is easier to get than ever before. Shitty business practices are going to come to light almost immediately and now, more than ever, people, especially young people, are in-tune with that and are making purchasing decisions based ON that information.

So what does Tim’s have? Shitty coffee, shitty public image… I guess they’ve got OK baked goods and I know some people swear by their Iced Capps, but I’m not convinced that’s gonna keep β€˜em going. Honestly, I wonder how much longer they’re going to be around at this rate.

Better than Subway!
wEdFJX3.png

got a switch oled as a present a few days ago, and i'm honestly pissed that your most played games (when you sort by playtime) don't transfer to the new switch. it's all reset to zero.

also had to spend like 20 minutes popping all my switch cards in so their icon would show up 😢

Hey all! The winners for the 2022 Game of the Year celebration are now announced.

I don’t even know what an A&W is. Apples and Waffles?

But then again I wouldn’t know any breakfast places because I usually skip breakfast.

The winners for the 2022 Game of the Year celebration are now announced
Now I wish I’d baked those cookies so I have something to munch on now

got a switch oled as a present a few days ago, and i'm honestly pissed that your most played games (when you sort by playtime) don't transfer to the new switch. it's all reset to zero.

also had to spend like 20 minutes popping all my switch cards in so their icon would show up 😢
That screen, though, hey?? It’s SO nice

honestly it makes me wonder what Tim’s even has going for them

like, it’s 2023: information is easier to get than ever before. Shitty business practices are going to come to light almost immediately and now, more than ever, people, especially young people, are in-tune with that and are making purchasing decisions based ON that information.

So what does Tim’s have? Shitty coffee, shitty public image… I guess they’ve got OK baked goods and I know some people swear by their Iced Capps, but I’m not convinced that’s gonna keep β€˜em going. Honestly, I wonder how much longer they’re going to be around at this rate.
I really and truly believe they are coasting on brand power given how eager they are to consistently sell themselves off to whatever American burger chain wants them to bolster their own breakfast experience. They had Wendy's for what, a good decade and a half before they ended up being bought up by Burger King?

They'll probably last a lot longer than anyone reasonably expects them to, and resultingly have plenty of time to steer their ship away from a VERY obvious iceberg off in the distance, but depending on who's asleep at the wheel will determine if we do see that empire crumble in our lifetime.

This notion Nintendo has that people don't care about their stats like that needs to die like, yesterday.

Also that seems like a tremendous oversight on their part requiring users to pop in all their game cards to retrieve the icons (and presumably all the updated patches)

That screen, though, hey?? It’s SO nice
it is, yeah. i did have to turn off vivid tho, it was too... vivid

This notion Nintendo has that people don't care about their stats like that needs to die like, yesterday.

Also that seems like a tremendous oversight on their part requiring users to pop in all their game cards to retrieve the icons (and presumably all the updated patches)
seriously. i do not understand at all why only your save files are transferred. it's a lot of effort to go to eshop, redownload everything there, then having to get all your physical games if you want them in your library, and then download 10s of GBs of updates on top of that. all the necessary files are on the old switch, just allow transferring them via wifi.

but depending on who's asleep at the wheel will determine if we do see that empire crumble in our lifetime.
This sounds like not just Tim Hortons but.. everything.

I'm very much not looking forward to this whenever I upgrade. I know it's coming and I just keep telling myself Nintendo will come to their senses and fix it before I do.

But I don't believe myself.

Freaking weird it's not tied to your account.

If you click the link for the Canadian site it doesn't works, but it shows up in the search bar for $132.99 CAD

About $7 cheaper than I anticipated, so depending on the eligible games maybe I will end up going for this and have it in my back pocket.

Tears of the Kingdom I'm fully intending to buy physical in case there's a special edition as grand as BOTW so I'm saving up for that

Last edited:
The game voucher expire after 1 year.
Still BS that it expires. Same for the gold coins, too.

Anyhow, I’m moderately tempted to get the vouchers and then buy Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Triangle Strategy. But as usual I still have a backlog to chew through, so I dunno. Maybe if Nintendo’s H2 really is as light as rumored, I’ll buy the vouchers.

oh fuck already late

Only drawback I have to the vouchers is that the games eligible on the list I want are the ones I already have minus Bayonetta Origins, so I'm hoping something in this Direct catches my eye that makes me want to pick it up asap

I wish the vouchers were able to be used on third party games as well. My next two game purchases once my backlog challenge is over are probably Persona 5 Royal and Tears of the Kingdom.

I haven't eaten at A&W much at all, but at least here in the states mostly what I remember is they have mediocre burgers and fries. Not bad, just nothing special for fast food. The real draw is they have A&W root beer on tap, and it's deliciously creamy and smooth. I rarely drink sweet soda anymore but I'll make an exception for that.

I don't need to buy anything considering that I have sealed games I should be cracking open, but I'll probably get some vouchers before ToTK and use one on that

Guess that explains why all the cuuso fanmade Zelda kits were declined, they already had an official partnership brewing

I haven't eaten at A&W much at all, but at least here in the states mostly what I remember is they have mediocre burgers and fries. Not bad, just nothing special for fast food. The real draw is they have A&W root beer on tap, and it's deliciously creamy and smooth. I rarely drink sweet soda anymore but I'll make an exception for that.
Yeah here in Canada they’re a wholly different corporate entity, with a different menu and everything. Highly recommend Canadian A&W if you’re ever here.

Massive game announcement today!
Not vidyagames but boardgames

Sequel to Scythe!

I wish the vouchers were able to be used on third party games as well. My next two game purchases once my backlog challenge is over are probably Persona 5 Royal and Tears of the Kingdom.

Ah right, remember that. How's that going?

Lego sets for Rivendell and Barad-dur have me shook. Disregard video games, make room for Legos.

I've had both, the Canadian version is way better than the version from down here. Like surprisingly so.

Great new thread @SammyJ9 and thanks for the last one @chocolate_supra. Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Not been feeling all that lately and I sprained my foot a couple of days ago. Direct hype it at an all time low with me

Hope all is good with you @Dragoncaine
You too buddy, and sorry to hear about the sprain. Sounds like the icing on top of the shit sandwich :(

I'll get back to your DMs soon, too. I'm constantly inundated with hundreds of emails a day that already give me anxiety, so anytime I see a backlog of messages outside of work, it's hard for me to sift through them. I'll get better with it.

Watched Return to Seoul at the theater tonight. A story about a girl looking for her identity, a story about the futility of this quest, a story about the stuff that we don't say. It was a beautiful movie, impeccably acted and edited, and I'd absolutely recommend it to you. But boy did it fuck me up emotionally.

Best thing about vouchers is that you can buy them with discounted EShop cardsπŸ‘
With discounted eShop cards and the 10% in gold points Nintendo offer(ed ?) to NSO members, it is an excellent deal. I've bought four of those, and now hoping that Nintendo will release some good games this year

Best thing about vouchers is that you can buy them with discounted EShop cardsπŸ‘
Discounted eshop cards and pouring your gold coins on them is just divine

Right now I can get a set for $80ish if I applied my gold coins, but I'm going to wait til there's another brand new game I wanted that's added. So I'm most likely waiting til Zelda gets added. Also waiting for my bonus gold coins from that promo that was running for Expansion pack users, with that added in it would bring the total to the high $60s.

I buy physical copies of first party games so vouchers have always been worthless to me

it's cool to see them return though
I'm the opposite, only digital. Vouchers are a great deal if I can find two games I want.

I was mostly physical when vouchers were first a thing in NA, but have since switched to almost all digital

Vouchers coming back is pretty nice, helps save quite a bit of money on first party stuff

I buy physical copies of first party games so vouchers have always been worthless to me

it's cool to see them return though
it’s cool to see you return though

BvqeLf0.jpg

the sequel to Raccoon is now in development

bruh the planets are literally aligned from my window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom