• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a 2003 Volvo S60 from my grandpa after he passed away in 2011, it only had about 60,000KM on the odometer. That car had CD and cassette support, already got in an accident in 2007 that protected both my grandma and grandpa from the idiot driver who t-boned them, could get nearly 1000KM on the premium 91 octane for a single tank and lasted until it kicked the bucket proper after 210,000KM. I know that only amounts to ~127,000 miles, but a car that lasts as long as that, regardless of any weird niggling issues it has, you have some serious sentimental attachment too. Everytime I see that old man silver with the rubber grey accent strips and those curiously curved rear headlights, I get wistful. (Not to mention I'll ever afford a modern Volvo at today's prices Jesus Christ lmao)
good stuff.
I love the old Pontiac convertible I drive in the summer but man I wish Pontiac survived GMs restructuring in 2009. I feel like they at least would have kept some cool design elements to separate it from every other cookie cutter car manufacturer.
I wish Pontiac had survived because they were the USA's conduit for the vastly superior Australian imports. We got the Holden Monaro (Pontiac GTO) which was better than every other muscle car of the day, the Holden Commodore (Pontiac G8) which was the only competition the Dodge Charger ever really had, and they were on the way to importing the damn Holden Ute, with the GM CEO even being spotted test driving one, when the decision to ax Pontiac came down. There was also a 2-door coupe concept car built off the VE Commodore which was likely on its way to being the next GTO. So much potential lost.

And I'm convinced if we hadn't lost Pontiac, Holden wouldn't have stopped producing cars. The US market accounted for a pretty large percentage of Holdens sold in those years, and then GM was just like "oops, nevermind" and shut down the brand Holden was sold through here, then a few years later Holden closed its factories. I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

good stuff.

I wish Pontiac had survived because they were the USA's conduit for the vastly superior Australian imports. We got the Holden Monaro (Pontiac GTO) which was better than every other muscle car of the day, the Holden Commodore (Pontiac G8) which was the only competition the Dodge Charger ever really had, and they were on the way to importing the damn Holden Ute, with the GM CEO even being spotted test driving one, when the decision to ax Pontiac came down. There was also a 2-door coupe concept car built off the VE Commodore which was likely on its way to being the next GTO. So much potential lost.

And I'm convinced if we hadn't lost Pontiac, Holden wouldn't have stopped producing cars. The US market accounted for a pretty large percentage of Holdens sold in those years, and then GM was just like "oops, nevermind" and shut down the brand Holden was sold through here, then a few years later Holden closed its factories. I'm sure it's not a coincidence.
I felt so much pain reading about this history of Holden. Goddammit. DeLorean boutta make a comeback in a decade but meanwhile Pontiac/Holden rusts in the dirt.

It ain't fair

Seeing this made me think of getting on the train in the states; I got a ticket from the airport to NY (Pen Station) and I got on; and when they started checking tickets, I let them check mine and they took it.

My Dutch brain couldn’t handle this; “how can I prove that I paid for this train ride”

I mean yeah but look what DeLorean's coming back with 😩
screen-shot-2022-05-31-at-8.32.41-am-90976307d1d0c1408fd60a67e511f8e832db778c-s1100-c50.png

Ugh, yeah, credit where it's due, it's looking sleek and whenever it comes to market, if it's within my budget (lol) and the battery range is at least 600km, I'd seriously be looking into it while I can still get inside sedans/coupes

I strongly encourage everyone to watch this video and, if you're interested, the previous installments in the series

highlights include everyone already knowing driving is the worst in the early 50s and a New York city planner steering highways to raze predominantly black neighborhoods

screen-shot-2022-05-31-at-8.32.41-am-90976307d1d0c1408fd60a67e511f8e832db778c-s1100-c50.png

Ugh, yeah, credit where it's due, it's looking sleek and whenever it comes to market, if it's within my budget (lol) and the battery range is at least 600km, I'd seriously be looking into it while I can still get inside sedans/coupes
It's a weird feeling to me, as when I see the front or the rear I can get behind it being the successor to the DMC12, but then they turn to the side and it has the long wheelbase and roofline almost like a crossover because then when the long-ass door opens its a fullsize luxury four-seater. Like it's not bad, it just kinda breaks away from my expectation. And what sucks is in today's market, it makes sense to go with something that's more of a sedan/crossover equivalent than a short, small sport coupe. But I think that's what sorta disappointed me: DeLorean's back, and right out the gate they're playing it safe.

Oh and as far as what's "within the budget," did I mention I'm looking for a 45-year old Cressida these days? 🤣

Never seem to have game luck but did
have a fun random thrift store $5 find

IMG_6388.jpg

I've had the soundtrack stuck in my head for months now thanks to the remastered release and I was curious so I figured why not

It's a weird feeling to me, as when I see the front or the rear I can get behind it being the successor to the DMC12, but then they turn to the side and it has the long wheelbase and roofline almost like a crossover because then when the long-ass door opens its a fullsize luxury four-seater. Like it's not bad, it just kinda breaks away from my expectation. And what sucks is in today's market, it makes sense to go with something that's more of a sedan/crossover equivalent than a short, small sport coupe. But I think that's what sorta disappointed me: DeLorean's back, and right out the gate they're playing it safe.
Gotta love modern cars with all the sensibilities of an aircraft wing and a couple windows 🙃

Oh and as far as what's "within the budget," did I mention I'm looking for a 45-year old Cressida these days? 🤣
Oh, the price tag for a 1959 Cadillac El Dorado with the sharkfin taillights still doesn't deter me from dreaming 😅 $40K USD for a literal rusted into the ground, no engine, parts car? Yeah, I could fix 'er up. Not to mention the insurance is something like $800 monthly for it being in that ragged condition if godforbid it ever was roadworthy lol

Hm ok. I seem to be doing okay in fights. I haven't died yet and seem to understand the combat but I suspect I will need to grind a bit once I get further on. Thanks for the follow-up.
The most important thing in fights is making sure you pull off:

• Break > Topple > Launch > Smash or
  • Break > Topple > Daze > Burst
That will destroy your enemies.

Enjoy the game!! It is such a great game!!!!

I meant more the worldbuilding/lore, but yeah, you're right, but I think that was the idea. At the time, I was amazed by it as it really felt like I was playing a movie. It's one of those 'play through this linear section to be rewarded with more plot and cutscenes' kind of games. Which sounds bad, but I think that it works for FFX. Or at least it did back then, not sure it'll hold up nearly as well for a first-time playthrough today! I'd be interested to see how you're feeling as you go along.
To be honest. I very much dislike games in this style. Can’t stand games that make me feel on auto pilot. Only been a couple hours and I already want to drop it, this is a game best suited when I have time to binge. Just a couple sessions of my free time is not suitable for me.

I don’t mind lots of cutscene or long cutscene. But there needs to be a period of prolong gameplay as well. Turn base battles and linearity has always been a mismatch for me.

Is there a name for that thing some games do where something you need to do to get the "true" ending is a mundane task you could have done all along that the game didn't clearly explain the value?

I wish I would have known that planting life seeds was good for more than just replenishing my health...
ehh, I didn’t mind having to go back for it. gave me a reason to look around each area again and take it all in

I guess I don’t mind things like that much at all

I was hoping for like… a superboss and not just lore that doesn’t make sense unless you played their first game

but the post-game boss and extra content was all very charming (and heartbreaking) and I liked making the gardener happy even if it didn’t amount to a ton

ehh, I didn’t mind having to go back for it. gave me a reason to look around each area again and take it all in

I guess I don’t mind things like that much at all

I was hoping for like… a superboss and not just lore that doesn’t make sense unless you played their first game

but the post-game boss and extra content was all very charming (and heartbreaking) and I liked making the gardener happy even if it didn’t amount to a ton
I can't say that I mind it too terribly much. It just would have been nice to know! The areas are small enough that finding them isn't too hard, and I need to go through those areas again anyways to find all the shrines/shiny things that I missed along the way.

That game rules though.

it looks like a cartoon bat that is too heavy to fly but flits along regardless with tremendous effort

it looks like a cartoon bat that is too heavy to fly but flits along regardless with tremendous effort
I love this interpretation and want to love my monstrosity of a mechanical flying bat son even more

They probably eat some goofy shit like DeLorean Danishes and then go solve mysteries or something

Hello lovely people! Let me spice up the conversation with some cool '70's Arabic disco 😃

Hey, I'm on my Android phone everyone.

Turns out that I may have hyper-thyroidism as opposed to hypo-thyroidism.

So Super Nintendo world open here in universal Hollywood. Only for some guest. Not the official opening.

But I’ve seen some photos. No impressions tho. Looks about what I expected so far. The space was rather small when I went there last year. Still neat. Sucks ya gotta go to the bottom. Long walk 🥴

I had a feeling our mandatory meeting at work was bad news...

We're dissolving!
That's a supportive, hope-you-land-on-your feet Yeah! just fyi

That actually aligns with my complaints of it being way too big quite nicely. 😅

also how you feeling sus?

Joke that I thought of from the recent Antman trailer. Spoilers
I don't have to win, we both just have to lose. Last place sends a blue shell costing the person in first place to lose the race

If Nintendo knew what they were doing (if you ignore the record-breaking hardware and software sales) the Direct would have been announced by now.

That’s a very beautiful looking car, if you find one do you plan to keep it as it is or to give it a little boost ? (although I'm not sure that's the best thing to do considering the current gas prices)

That's a supportive, hope-you-land-on-your feet Yeah! just fyi

That actually aligns with my complaints of it being way too big quite nicely. 😅

also how you feeling sus?
ehhhhh still not great but maybe a little better?

worked a full (remote) day for the first time since getting COVID — since Tuesday went straight to hell and I had to bail

still taking it easy but a little less overwhelming dread

but I’m watching closely for rebound COVID, which can hit back harder if you take paxlovid. no plans on toasting to survival until at least a week from now, and even then who knows which of my pre-existing issues will get that nebulous post-COVID boost

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I feel pretty calm about the situation, but I'm probably disassociating.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
interesting about genetics

we have been extremely cautious in all other regards but our apartment is like… a single room. there’s no quarantining from each other. we’ve been together the whole time.

they’re also immunocompromised and chronically ill, so like… any exposure should pretty much give them COVID instantly

hence the utter bafflement

I know rapid tests are far from perfect, but mine were positive every day that theirs were negative. same technique.

we wondered at first if they had it before me, but that makes no sense since we had tested two days beforehand and two days before that

That’s a very beautiful looking car, if you find one do you plan to keep it as it is or to give it a little boost ? (although I'm not sure that's the best thing to do considering the current gas prices)
ehehehe, funny you should mention "boost" 😅

I've had a few old MKIII Supras which have the 7M engine (the Cressida has a much less efficient, older version of the same engine) and a couple of the MKIV Supras which have the 2JZ engines (themselves a further refinement of the M engines). And so I'm very much of the opinion that any M-engined car deserves to have a JZ dropped in, as they're practically the same dimensions, same inline-6 layout, run the same transmissions, but are so much smoother, so much stronger, and actually (since you mentioned gas prices) a bit more fuel efficient. Perks of going from a 1970s engine to a 1990s engine.

So IF I end up staying in California (where smog laws heavily restrict what you can do with an engine swap) I'd probably throw in a basic 2JZ out of a junkyard Lexus or something (older Lexuses are just rebadged luxury Toyotas so they run the same engines). But if I can manage to move out of state I'd love to have the smaller 1JZ turbo engine (which was Japan-only and thus not allowed in Cali), because it's smaller, would be even more fuel efficient, and since it's turbo it'd still make great peak power without even having to modify it or do any of those monster turbo builds that JZs are known for.

But we'll see. I literally have to figure out if I'm gonna be able to find a way to move before I even consider a project. I'm just fantasizing. 😅

Just played Elden Ring on my Steam Deck Dock so I could play it on my TV.

And Houston...

We are no longer maidenless.

interesting about genetics

we have been extremely cautious in all other regards but our apartment is like… a single room. there’s no quarantining from each other. we’ve been together the whole time.

they’re also immunocompromised and chronically ill, so like… any exposure should pretty much give them COVID instantly

hence the utter bafflement

I know rapid tests are far from perfect, but mine were positive every day that theirs were negative. same technique.
we wondered at first if they had it before me, but that makes no sense since we had tested two days beforehand and two days before that
Magic.

Either that or the å̵̛͕͉͝b̸̖̝͔̆̃̔̏͛y̴̛͔̠̜̘̍͋s̸͔̗͓̀͊̉͑͝s̴͓̗͕̘͗ has protective powers.

If I fucked up the thread by talking too much about cars I am sorry

Maybe I could talk a bunch about Sonic instead 😏
Better yet Sonic and cars

and here all I wanna do is talk an unhealthy amount about a game I'm making and nobody else can currently play because I'm so excited about all of the ridiculously bad jokes I've put in it and I still get vocally giddy every time I make a new function that actually works

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom