• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I used Hulu but I forgot ad placements were done by baboons. Put them between scenes where ad breaks were originally placed? Nah. Put them right in the middle of scenes? He'll yeah!

New sonic game any good?
Hell yes. Seriously my favorite 3D Sonic since 1999.

Better yet Sonic and cars
What sucks is Yuji Naka was a serious car fanatic and raced Lotuses for years. Woulda been a great connection if not for.. ya know.. 😅

and here all I wanna do is talk an unhealthy amount about a game I'm making and nobody else can currently play because I'm so excited about all of the ridiculously bad jokes I've put in it and I still get vocally giddy every time I make a new function that actually works
if ever there were a place to talk an unhealthy amount about something, it's apparently here. 👍

It's been a while since I used Hulu but I forgot ad placements were done by baboons. Put them between scenes where ad breaks were originally placed? Nah. Put them right in the middle of scenes? He'll yeah!
Hulu is bad.

Edit: but it’s on purpose…

• Digs my 3DS out of retirement for old times' sake
  • Wonders if I should pick up some games I missed for it
  • People seem to like Kid Icarus, let's check ebay and see how much it co-

d358scb-714410cd-2dfd-4fc1-9298-bc5882447cc7.jpg

@Suswave I dunno but I thought you might be amused to know that while youtube was autoplaying music for me tonight it slotted "Enjoy Choy" in between "Wir Fliegen" from Xenoblade X and "Horse" by Salvatore Ganacci.

@Suswave I dunno but I thought you might be amused to know that while youtube was autoplaying music for me tonight it slotted "Enjoy Choy" in between "Wir Fliegen" from Xenoblade X and "Horse" by Salvatore Ganacci.
perfection, thank you

I’ve been playing Metroid games the last couple weeks to finally get the badges (sorry @Aurc, I’m gonna be dropping a dozen of those on you at once) and have to say that it’s climbing my top series list rapidly. Just so well designed and fun to play. I’ve played almost all of these before, but they are even better on subsequent play through when your skill is at its peak.

I’ve been playing Metroid games the last couple weeks to finally get the badges (sorry @Aurc, I’m gonna be dropping a dozen of those on you at once) and have to say that it’s climbing my top series list rapidly. Just so well designed and fun to play. I’ve played almost all of these before, but they are even better on subsequent play through when your skill is at its peak.
I know what you mean. I've played Super Metroid enough times that it's like muscle memory kicks in and.. like you know that thing where you can slice a piece of wrapping paper with an open pair of scissors because you get into that groove where it just glides? That's what playing through SM feels like for me now.

Like a hot knife through brinstar.

It's amazing how things change with times. 15 years ago my mom would say that I spent way too much time on the computer downloading shows and music off Limewire. Nowadays, she has like 3 iPads which she uses to watch her shows for "free".

No need to be sorry! That's rad!!! I fully welcome it. 🥳 Yeah, in general, Metroid games are really fun to replay. I'm no speedrunner or anything, but sequence breaking for upgrades via Wall Jump, Bomb Jump, etc. feels satisfying.

It's really weird being an Undertale fan and listening to characters in His Dark Materials toss the name Asriel around like a fuckin potato

My girlfriend and I were talking about how game console design was kinda ugly, and I kinda wondered if I could use a quote she made to start a thread (just incendiary enough to get people to click in):

"The PS5 was designed without a single woman in the room", or; the clash of consoles against interior designers

Like, she does make some good arguments. I posited the PS5 is meant to be striking (good and bad), like it wants to be seen and have attention. She argues it's an incredible eye sore that does nothing to fit alongside other modern living room decor, and to her the curves look more inspired by someone who jumped and stomped on a cardboard box. This discussion continued when I mentioned how a friend of mine got into a lengthy beg-and-plead with his wife to keep his PS5 in the living room; she doesn't even mind he games and will join him occasionally, but she really thinks the console looks ugly and doesn't fit the overall living room design.

"But what about the Xbox Series X? It's just a mini fridge you can tuck away if you don't want it to be seen" That is exactly it's curse, a brick of plastic that looks like a monolith that is absolutely devoid of personality or shape and looks simply to look imposing and intimidating no matter where you hide it. There is nothing special about it, and any glance in its direction is a mistake.

"Then, how do you feel about your Switch?" Even the colours are chosen by boys. Bright and bold, primary school colour choices. The only good ones made were the pastel green and blue Animal Crossing joycons. It has potential for customization, but so many of the choices make it feel like a Fisher-Price toy (I told her she never held a Wii U tablet before she can start calling the Switch a toy, but I digress)

In short, I want to start a thread to discuss what makes a good console design; rather than relying on previous consoles (except for the woodgrain on the old Atari; you won't change my mind), I'm curious to know what designs people haven't seen in game consoles that they think would improve design. Can colours beyond white or black make a piece of tech fit in with living room decor? Is there a minimum/maximum size that depending on aesthetic will allow a console to be on display or hidden from view? Could existing hardware be theoretically modified to fit these ideas of what is "good hardware design" that is not so much gendered, but rather takes in design from all perspectives?

Still wanna work on some thoughts before I hit post (this is all stream of conscious, and I also want to do it when there's a little more traffic on site during the day haha), but do y'all think there's some discussion to be had?

My girlfriend and I were talking about how game console design was kinda ugly, and I kinda wondered if I could use a quote she made to start a thread (just incendiary enough to get people to click in):

"The PS5 was designed without a single woman in the room", or; the clash of consoles against interior designers

Like, she does make some good arguments. I posited the PS5 is meant to be striking (good and bad), like it wants to be seen and have attention. She argues it's an incredible eye sore that does nothing to fit alongside other modern living room decor, and to her the curves look more inspired by someone who jumped and stomped on a cardboard box. This discussion continued when I mentioned how a friend of mine got into a lengthy beg-and-plead with his wife to keep his PS5 in the living room; she doesn't even mind he games and will join him occasionally, but she really thinks the console looks ugly and doesn't fit the overall living room design.

"But what about the Xbox Series X? It's just a mini fridge you can tuck away if you don't want it to be seen" That is exactly it's curse, a brick of plastic that looks like a monolith that is absolutely devoid of personality or shape and looks simply to look imposing and intimidating no matter where you hide it. There is nothing special about it, and any glance in its direction is a mistake.

"Then, how do you feel about your Switch?" Even the colours are chosen by boys. Bright and bold, primary school colour choices. The only good ones made were the pastel green and blue Animal Crossing joycons. It has potential for customization, but so many of the choices make it feel like a Fisher-Price toy (I told her she never held a Wii U tablet before she can start calling the Switch a toy, but I digress)

In short, I want to start a thread to discuss what makes a good console design; rather than relying on previous consoles (except for the woodgrain on the old Atari; you won't change my mind), I'm curious to know what designs people haven't seen in game consoles that they think would improve design. Can colours beyond white or black make a piece of tech fit in with living room decor? Is there a minimum/maximum size that depending on aesthetic will allow a console to be on display or hidden from view? Could existing hardware be theoretically modified to fit these ideas of what is "good hardware design" that is not so much gendered, but rather takes in design from all perspectives?

Still wanna work on some thoughts before I hit post (this is all stream of conscious, and I also want to do it when there's a little more traffic on site during the day haha), but do y'all think there's some discussion to be had?
This is an extremely neat idea for a thread and I'll be in it as soon as I see it but the lead-in is hilarious to me because the PS5 and Series X are my favorite-looking console designs since the damn Dreamcast. 😅

This is an extremely neat idea for a thread and I'll be in it as soon as I see it but the lead-in is hilarious to me because the PS5 and Series X are my favorite-looking console designs since the damn Dreamcast. 😅
That's actually what I thought too, but, then again cismale here, I'm wondering how much of these designs are meant to appeal to us per se as opposed to anyone else.

Like, I'll laugh at the meme where the PS5 is Seto Kaiba's jacket, but outside of the fact it is offensively tall I kinda dig the overall design and shape of the console. XSX as well, sure you can have it on a table/TV stand or tucked away on the floor, but it's not exactly meant to be something eye catching like the PS5 is. Overengineered to not have the overheating issues like the 360, simple and sturdy, and at least short enough to fit inside an IKEA Kallax shelf

That's actually what I thought too, but, then again cismale here, I'm wondering how much of these designs are meant to appeal to us per se as opposed to anyone else.

Like, I'll laugh at the meme where the PS5 is Seto Kaiba's jacket, but outside of the fact it is offensively tall I kinda dig the overall design and shape of the console. XSX as well, sure you can have it on a table/TV stand or tucked away on the floor, but it's not exactly meant to be something eye catching like the PS5 is. Overengineered to not have the overheating issues like the 360, simple and sturdy, and at least short enough to fit inside an IKEA Kallax shelf
For me I just always thought every Playstation was visibly blah. I never even liked the way the controllers looked. The PS5 was like a jolt with the curves and the layering and the two-tone coloring. It doesn't fit in any sort of living room outside of maybe some post-modern interior design projects but on its own it's the first PS that doesn't just look like a government building painted black. And then the Series X, I just love the simplicity of it. It might go against the architecture-related shade I just threw at the PS2, 3, and 4 but the fact that it's the first one to actually visibly represent the Xbox's name: it's finally literally a box, just makes me do a big ole smile.

Though aside from the Atari 2600 I'm genuinely curious as to what a console that actually fits with living room decor would look like.

Can confirm that I would hide the PS5 too cause it clashes with my living room set up, it just seems to me some mock up that someone in the 2000s would think is cool. Plus it being so big is an annoyance, but I can understand that a bit more.

I disagree with the wacky colors for the handhelds though, I always like them to have that pop of color if possbile, but yes home system be as boring as possbile so it fits my living room.

Can confirm that I would hide the PS5 too cause it clashes with my living room set up, it just seems to me some mock up that someone in the 2000s would think is cool.
My brain is kinda stuck in the 2000s, so this actually tracks.

We are now accepting nominations for the best puzzle game and the best re-release from 2022.

"Then, how do you feel about your Switch?" Even the colours are chosen by boys
Not sure about boys, but I’m pretty sure the bright colors are meant to appeal to kids (and the young at heart). Most girls I know that got a Switch got the red and blue, unless they specifically shelled out for the Animal Crossing special edition.

We are now accepting nominations for the best puzzle game and the best re-release from 2022.

Currently playing Chrono Cross, which was my most hyped rerelease in years but hooooooo boy it does not qualify for "best" 😅

Edit: sorry @xghost777 I just now saw what you posted in the goty thread. 🤣 Coming at it from the Radical Dreamers angle though, I didn't think of that. I agree.

Last edited:
Not sure about boys, but I’m pretty sure the bright colors are meant to appeal to kids (and the young at heart). Most girls I know that got a Switch got the red and blue, unless they specifically shelled out for the Animal Crossing special edition.
I am literally the only person I know, regardless of age or gender, who got the dark grey.
I don't know what that says about me.

joy-con neon red is not a masculine color

it's like the color of an especially flamboyant salmon

I'll accept that it's infantile but the gendering of this deliberately androgynous hue is insulting

I am literally the only person I know, regardless of age or gender, who got the dark grey.
I don't know what that says about me.
I got the dark grey cause I didn't like how the blue and red looked in the video. In person the blue and red looked really nice to me, so was kicking myself for a bit. Eventually I got the splatoon 2 joycons and loved the hell out of them, but now I'm just using my white OLED ones. I think those looked the most sleek. I think they are kind of a boring choice, but they look so nice so I'll use them until they start drifting. lol

I still wish we got more wacky colors for the Switch itself and not just the joycons, give me an all purple Switch or something Nintendo. Like I really like the Lite's colors but it's a Lite. They expect me to play something that doesn't have the abililty to use HD rumble, they are sadly mistaken.

don't forget that black goes with everything
Ian Malcolm and Johnny Cash had it figured out the whole time.

also I'm laughing at the mental image of an especially flamboyant salmon
doin flips an shit while swimming upstream

I really don’t like the PS5 design. I’ve had mine since launch and it never grew on me. It’s so big it can’t fit under my TV (the pointy plastic is a menace) and how they put in the disc drive, vertically and especially horizontally, makes it look like a mistake even more so considering it requires a stand to lay horizontally. Also the two tone controller looks garish. I’m glad to an extent by necessity it has to live behind my TV even if it is less convenient to access. Give me the boring Xbox SX refrigerator every day for design over the PS5. I largely like the Switch design. It stands out, but doesn’t take up too much room. I like the basic Grey one and the OLED. Neon isn’t for me.

Picked up Chained Echoes and it’s pretty great so far. Colorful art, good music, battle system seems fun and has a unique twist. It has a lot of nods to Chrono Trigger and old JRPGs in general, but it already has a lot going on that seems like it’s going to be really interesting and I’m only two hours in or less.

But will I be able to finish it before Fire Emblem? … probably not

I largely like the Switch design. It stands out, but doesn’t take up too much room. I like the basic Grey one and the OLED. Neon isn’t for me.

I liked the neon/colored Joy Con with the OG switch, especially the Mario Odyssey Red ones were glued to my Switch. With the thin bezel of the OLED Switch I moved away from colors and stick to black and white, even replaced the handles on my Splatoon 3 Pro Controller with white ones. Now I only need the SN30 Pros in black or white…
UwKKRtg.jpg

And the PowerA Nano for my kid had to be all blacked out, however I also liked the grey one without the colors, maybe with the black dpad:

qKmkm9x.jpg

Last edited:
A game can be flawed, but still excellent.
I'd argue that the "best" games (of all time) fit this description. It's when they shine despite their flaws that they are as beloved as they end up being.
A game without any flaws (which, imo, is impossible in and of itself) would end up being sterile and probably be more of a "product" rather than a piece or art/entertainment, if that makes sense, haha.

I'd argue that the "best" games (of all time) fit this description
And expanding on that, there is no piece of art/media that is flawless. And in many cases, the flaws make it shine all the brighter.

Chained Echoes also features this band whose drummer is an ant. 10/10 game.

2UVOZJw.jpg
Dear god I’m about to be irresponsible and buy this game and not give it the time it deserves

But dear god everything about Chained Echoes is speaking to me

I don't know what that says about me
Probably means your life is colorful enough that you don’t need to get your fix from plastic toys

Also thank you @bellydrum for giving me the very first time I’ve ever gotten a “shiny”. It might be pee-colored snow, but it’s shiny, dammit.

"I've never payed so much money for something so ugly" is the first thing I've said to my wife when my PS5 arrived home. I stand by it more than two years later. This thing looks like a 12 years old idea of a luxury product : something big and obnoxious.

The only good ones made were the pastel green and blue Animal Crossing joycons.
Overall, the Switch design is not too bad (even though the first model without the Joy-Cons looks like an Archos tablet), but she is right about the colors. The white OLED is fine, but the Animal Crossing one is the most visually pleasing by a mile

I do quite like my Switch - either with the red Mario Odyssey Joycon or the all white OLED Joycon, but it can definitely look a little like a toy. It's cute! I like it! I don't really think about it too much when it's docked.

The PS5 is a neat console, but mine is currently behind the TV and despite that being a little tougher for charging, I don't find myself minding it in practice, lol.

Couldn't find a dedicated thread but I guess this one's fine.
On the European My Nintendo Store (not the site's eShop), if you buy a digital game you receive a code just like you do with purchases on other shops (Amazon etc), right?

Just snagged the Castlevania Collection on Switch for like 4 bucks. Question - I've never played III but as I understand it there are notable changes between the English and Japanese versions. Is the one on the Collection fine to play?

Just snagged the Castlevania Collection on Switch for like 4 bucks. Question - I've never played III but as I understand it there are notable changes between the English and Japanese versions. Is the one on the Collection fine to play?

You can google that, there's some pages that have listed every difference of the versions. (Gonna be a long read though!)

But the main difference is the damage system. Iirc, the US version deals damage based on the level you are and gets higher the more you progress through the game, while the japanese version has damage based on the enemy type. I think the JP version is considered easier due to that.

Though i hope i didn't mix that up. ^^ It's been years since i played them and i have yet to play them on the collection.

I bought my Switch 2.5 years ago and feel like I own too many Switch games. I purchased 11 physical Switch games and 11 digital Switch games so far, so 22 games in total. It might be worth saying that my Switch is my only console.

How many Switch games does everyone here have?
Well over a hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom