• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I don’t know
I kinda have been thinking it’s coming since like 2019
2019 is when we started hearing rumors of Mariko Switch, which launched later that year. With no spec increase despite a much more powerful chip.

My big pet peeve over the past few years is people conflating rumors. We have had two discrete rumors about two very different potential products, they are not the same thing.

fami, I need help. do I go release order or watch them chronologically?

d7SSzSBY0DBPglr2Fhfi5buXTFPCdRTzd6kS5ClZMdq7qBSoNwXCxgYMJkDmAW8FQp8_Hdbb7s1Ox7vDdQ
81ZUmYpq4pL._RI_.jpg
ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvdHZzZXJpZXMvNTlmOGIyM2ItMzRhMy00MjdkLThkNDYtZWJkZDI1ODMzNmI3LmpwZw==
Thursday-film-images-da4d765b-61bc-45b2-b9e8-3cfc8069026.jpg
69c9fa37-d4e7-44be-ab72-bea656ab4958.jpg
MV5BMTAzMDk1ODU3ODFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDA4MzE3MzE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BYzcxNDRiNzctODYzZi00NTc0LTg0NTEtN2I4Yzc0M2Y0NmEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg
Well you–

(do not reply to this if you're american)
oh

My big pet peeve over the past few years is people conflating rumors. We have had two discrete rumors about two very different potential products, they are not the same thing.
Yea, as a casual observer that might explain why to me the whole saga feels more like watching R&D movements, where things would be changing often, rather than a stabilized design that's on the way out the door to manufacturing

The Game Awards left me more confused as to whether or not we will get new hardware next year in time for Zelda... I don't know why.

I think I am just over Switch at this point and I am ready for the next shiny thing. Six years is a hell of a long time for one single Nintendo console cycle.

Bayonetta Origins checks that box of "handheld title gone Switch" that I hope Nintendo keeps finding more ways to pull off now that they can't rely on ports to fill gaps as much

Dread/WarioWare were of similar joy to me

Keep it coming! (cough rhythm heaven cough)

As an American, I actually prefer the order you posted. The order we use is dumb. Can I at least say that?
wait okay I get confused every time this comes up

the week is Monday — Sunday and that’s non-negotiable

I thought the calendar wrap-around was a stylistic choice — one I do in fact like, but one I never ever considered to imply that the week ran Sunday to Saturday

but you’re telling me American Canon is that, if asked the days of the week, y’all say Sunday through Saturday??

if this helps answer anything, I grew up in Canada and then lived in the US and now live in Canada again

so… what the fuck is all that about?

I thought the calendar wrap-around was a stylistic choice — one I do in fact like, but one I never ever considered to imply that the week ran Sunday to Saturday

but you’re telling me American Canon is that, if asked the days of the week, y’all say Sunday through Saturday??

if this helps answer anything, I grew up in Canada and then lived in the US and now live in Canada again

Oh it's worse, I can't think of a time I've heard people say "Monday through Sunday" when defining a week, it's always "Monday through Friday." Its like if you aren't in the capitalist meat-grinder then it doesn't count as an actual day.

Outside of that snide remark about american life, we actually do consider Monday the first day of the week, but lord fuckin knows why all the calendars show Sunday first. The only time I've asked and actually gotten an answer it was religious reasons (honoring "the day God rested" or something) which I can't believe is the case.

Myself, I actually ordered a Top Gear calendar years ago simply because it had nice cars on it and every week started with Monday and I loved it so much, it made so much more sense, that I actually dug into my phone's and computer's settings and found the way to switch them to starting on Monday. Confused the fuck out of my coworkers whenever they'd come by to check my calendar for something but anytime I can confuse coworkers is a win in my book.

Anyway I'm still a staunch follower of "week starts on Monday" and it's still set up that way on my devices a decade later. As a visual person it just makes so much more sense for my brain to see the start of the week be graphically represented that way.

"For most observant adherents of Christianity, Sunday is generally observed as a day of worship and rest, recognising it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection; in the United States, Canada, Japan, the Philippines as well as in most of South America, Sunday is the first day of the week.[1] According to the Hebrew calendar and traditional calendars (including Christian calendars) Sunday is the first day of the week; Quaker Christians call Sunday the "first day" in accordance with their testimony of simplicity.[2][3] The International Organization for Standardization ISO 8601, which is based in Switzerland, calls Sunday the seventh day of the week.[4]"

"For most observant adherents of Christianity, Sunday is generally observed as a day of worship and rest, recognising it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection; in the United States, Canada, Japan, the Philippines as well as in most of South America, Sunday is the first day of the week.[1] According to the Hebrew calendar and traditional calendars (including Christian calendars) Sunday is the first day of the week; Quaker Christians call Sunday the "first day" in accordance with their testimony of simplicity.[2][3] The International Organization for Standardization ISO 8601, which is based in Switzerland, calls Sunday the seventh day of the week.[4]"

Oh shit and I just got through saying I didn't believe that was the reason 🤣

I didn't realize "the week starts on Sunday" was an American thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Australia too. I always assumed it was just a silly thing done by pedants to make the rest of us sad but had no real consequences

Oh shit and I just got through saying I didn't believe that was the reason 🤣

The whole concept of the weekend is religious based. In Judaism and some Christian denominations, Saturday is the Sabbath and therefore the final day of the week. In the Bible, it says that Jesus was resurrected in the first day of the week. Well if Saturday is the last day of the week, then Sunday has to be the first. So whether you place Sunday first or last, it's all based around whether you want to start your week with God or end your week with God.

That was the second check! Only one to go!
Oh god one out of three was casually funny but now that there's only one left I feel pressure to figure out what it is 😳
and I can't believe my not drinking didn't negate a point

Oh god one out of three was casually funny but now that there's only one left I feel pressure to figure out what it is 😳
and I can't believe my not drinking didn't negate a point

You got time right.
You got distances/measurements right.
Only one big thing missing, i believe in you.

Also, you don't get you points reduced because of that, i don't drink myself! ;D

Okay I am gonna consciously refocus myself on the positives here; Nintendo reaffirmed the 12th of May date for TOTK, and since that's only 5 months out, reiterating such a specific date makes it less likely we'll see a further delay, meaning in just over 5 months' time we'll likely have the sequel to one of the best games ever made. :)
the sequel to THE best game ever made

@Bonejack I have owned a right-hand drive car before, is that a check?

I preferred Sega to Nintendo in the 90s

I don't like a lot of ice in my drinks, if any

I think healthcare and education should be provided by the government with private options being simply options

Jaguar > Cadillac

Derry Girls is one of the best shows I've seen in years

Richard Ayoade is a god

Graham Norton is my favorite chat show

Now I'm just thinking of British celebrities, fuck

I don't understand English food

As an American, I actually prefer the order you posted. The order we use is dumb. Can I at least say that?
People think Sunday is the first day of the week? Im American and didnt know that lol. Monday is the first day imo. Also, the thing about my opinion here is that im right...

@Bonejack I have owned a right-hand drive car before, is that a check?

I preferred Sega to Nintendo in the 90s

I don't like a lot of ice in my drinks, if any

I think healthcare and education should be provided by the government with private options being simply options

Jaguar > Cadillac

Derry Girls is one of the best shows I've seen in years

Richard Ayoade is a god

Graham Norton is my favorite chat show

Now I'm just thinking of British celebrities, fuck

I don't understand English food

Cold.

;]

Whether you think Sunday is the first or last day of the week, this conversation has made it clear that many Famiboards users have never even looked at a calendar before. How can someone be from the US (or Canada) and not know that Sunday is the first day of the week here? Your computer clock probably has a calendar on it that clearly shows it going from Sunday to Saturday. Your elementary school probably had a calendar hanging somewhere in the classroom.

Starting the week with Sunday does indeed create an unpleasant weekend split, shearing Sunday from Saturday and aligning it with Monday!

Then again, as others have stated, the segregation of the weekend from the week itself reifies for me capitalist time, with its strict division of productivity and leisure. For this reason even when I was younger I was made uncomfortable by the fetishization of Friday. If we are thanking God it’s Friday, then what kinds of things should we be telling him the rest of the week?

I always thought it would mean I’d ordered my life well if I didn’t especially look forward to the weekend!

If that’s the case then I haven’t succeeded…

So happy Friday everyone!

Time to play some video games! Now that I’m through the tutorial in skyward sword, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s below the clouds…

Historically Sunday has always been the first day of the week. I think it changed, perception-wise, sometime in the last 100-200 years when people generally started defining their week around their work schedule. Christians don't like to work on Sunday, so Monday became the de-facto first day of the work week.

In hebrew the word for Sunday is Yom Rishon, which literally translates to "the first day". Monday is Yom Shaeni = second day, Tuesday is Shlishi= third, etcetera.

Until you get to Saturday, which is the Sabbath. Sabbath is the english version of the hebrew word Shabbat, which has its root from the word Sheva, which means 7. So Saturday is the seventh day.

Between his attacks on Schreier, Geoff and pretty much everyone who didn’t share his Wumpa League video, and now him calling an antisemitic dude a “legend”, Liam Robertson’s Twitter account sure is taking a weird turn lately

Looks like the Tweet is unavailable

Between his attacks on Schreier, Geoff and pretty much everyone who didn’t share his Wumpa League video, and now him calling an antisemitic dude a “legend”, Liam Robertson’s Twitter account sure is taking a weird turn lately

Yeah, that's not a good look at all and I'm being fairly lenient with the wording.. not entirely surprising that the tweet is gone already.
I'm guessing he didn't realize that's what it was until someone told him so he deleted the tweet.
Now that also sounds perfectly plausible. Would always beware of throwing around labels around iffy topics like the one at hand, but yeah wouldn't doubt that at all. Still not the greatest of looks per se.

Last edited:

I'm guessing he didn't realize that's what it was until someone told him so he deleted the tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom