• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the first quarter of 2023 looks like this for Switch:

January:
Risen
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Oddballers
Fire Emblem Engage
Spongebob Cosmic Shake

February:
Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
Octopath Traveler II
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Tales of Symphonia Remastered
Digimon Next Order
Labyrinth of Galleria
Atelier Ryza 3

March:
Bayonetta Origins
Fatal Frame Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
Legend of Heroes Trails into Azure
Oni Road to be the Mightiest Oni

Could be Q1: AEW Fight Forever, Trinity Trigger, Megaman Battle Network Collection, Bombderman R2, DNF Duel

It looks like stacked but damn this is a niche heavy list. No big western titles, no miracle ports, no interesting genres. More traditional RPG's. Switch, as a Nintendo handheld, went back its niche cave and waiting for t he Pro version or successor whatever called, to take it out.

Well I didn’t win one, so now I gotta mull over whether or not I want to just order a 256GB Steam Deck. That does seem like the one with the most value.

Bayonetta Origins is actually a full-priced retail release.

I was expecting a cute $15-20 eShop game from the demo in Bayo 3, but perhaps it’s way more expansive than I thought and Nintendo’s March game.

CybuEaUVIAAF_HV.jpg

When the organ you’re looking at give’s you Snes soundchip/90’s jrpgs vibes

I was gonna be a nerd and say "but isn't the Genesis the one with a Yamaha sound chip and I'm pretty sure most of Kondo's work used a Roland synth" but I know it's more complex than that, I just wanna sound knowledgeable 😅

It looks like stacked but damn this is a niche heavy list.
And that's the way
uh huh, uh huh
I like it
uh huh, uh huh

I had a crazy busy day so I just caught up on TGAs but:

ELDEN RING HELL YEAH

So glad it still pulled out the win. Easily my favorite game this year. Also definitely deserving of art direction, I’ve never been as stunned by so many locations in a game before, especially with its incredibly good framing and reveal moments to great views.

Overall though… kind of a medium show? Nothing too exciting premiered that wasn’t already known about (Hades 2 is cool but I’m not a huge fan), and it feels like GoW, Elden Ring, and Stray (for reasons I don’t get; come on people, play better indie games) won basically everything with very few surprises. Tunic in particular was robbed, and XC3 for music.

I was gonna be a nerd and say "but isn't the Genesis the one with a Yamaha sound chip and I'm pretty sure most of Kondo's work used a Roland synth" but I know it's more complex than that, I just wanna sound knowledgeable 😅

And that's the way
uh huh, uh huh
I like it
uh huh, uh huh
I did say vibes. Plus almost a decade older. And synth samples are deep reaching

welp that was the last bit of major Nintendo news were going to get for the rest of the year, see you guys in February

Honestly Nintendo (well, rather Switch games) won more awards than I thought they would

I mean, for a company that isn't entirely focused on putting out games specifically tailored to appeal to the crowd that votes for awards? Honestly? That's pretty impressive

Best Action Game, Most Anticipated Game, Best Family Game, Best Multiplayer Game, Best Sim/Strategy. I love that they are all gameplay-oriented awards.

So just a summary of the evening for those who may have not been following the TGA thread:

What we came for:
  • Tears of the Kingdom trailer
  • Silksong release date
  • Metroid Prime reveal
What we were given:
  • Reggie is a murderer
  • Doug saying "mouthful mode" live on camera
  • Josef's body hair all over the place

You have to admit it was a pretty good bit to follow Tears of the Kingdom winning most anticipated game with a Horizon DLC trailer.

You have to admit it was a pretty good bit to follow Tears of the Kingdom winning most anticipated game with a Horizon DLC trailer.
Wait a second, isn't the Horizon DLC coming out a few weeks before Zelda? The poor team can't catch a break lmao

Honestly Nintendo (well, rather Switch games) won more awards than I thought they would

I mean, for a company that isn't entirely focused on putting out games specifically tailored to appeal to the crowd that votes for awards? Honestly? That's pretty impressive

Best Action Game, Most Anticipated Game, Best Family Game, Best Multiplayer Game, Best Sim/Strategy. I love that they are all gameplay-oriented awards.
Yeah, Nintendo landing Best Action Game feels almost like more of a win than if they had gotten GotY or something. Granted it's really more Platinum's win imo but still.

Le sigh, I tried not to get my hopes up for anything at TGA, to the point where I didn't even watch it this year, but still, its disappointing that not a single thing came out of it that I can feel good about.
Even the teased Crash Bandicoot game was some online multiplayer only thing.
Now it's back to endless waiting for something to get excited for.

Life can be so exhausting that sometimes it's the little things that cheer us up, like our hobbies and passions, and when those things fall through, it kinda sucks.

Sorry folks, just having a little bit of a moment. I'll be alright.

Last edited:
Yeah, Nintendo landing Best Action Game feels almost like more of a win than if they had gotten GotY or something. Granted it's really more Platinum's win imo but still.
oh yeah definitely. I give some credit to Nintendo for funding and publishing it, but the glory belongs to Platinum

Le sigh, I tried not to get my hopes up for anything at TGA, to the point where I didn't even watch it this year, but still, it makes me feel miserable that not a single thing came out of it that I can feel good about.
Even the teased Crash Bandicoot game was some crappy online multiplayer only thing.

Fuck man, life can be so exhausting that sometimes it's the little things that keep us going, and when those things aren't there for us, it sucks. :(
Sorry to hear that, but there will be lots more to come soon! Nintendo has a lot to talk about especially with Zelda before long here, so it should be a fun start to 2023. I’m already excited to get the Direct thread going soonish (lord help me)

oh yeah definitely. I give some credit to Nintendo for funding and publishing it, but the glory belongs to Platinum
I also appreciate Doug giving credit not just for Platinum making good action games, but "over-the-top" action games. That's what I think of when I hear Platinum, not "oh they make good games," but rather "oh they make batshit crazy games" and I love that there are still teams with a calling card like that.

There’s a game coming out from three of my favorite Nintendo franchise every month next year.
It’s pretty incredible across all platforms for me, too, through the summer. The only month I can’t think of anything is April? Unless I’m just not remembering something that month.

It’s pretty incredible across all platforms for me, too, through the summer. The only month I can’t think of anything is April? Unless I’m just not remembering something that month.
I kinda think Nintendo will just focus on the Mario Movie that month. It's kinda sandwiched in between Bayonetta and the biggest game of the year.

I kinda think Nintendo will just focus on the Mario Movie that month. It's kinda sandwiched in between Bayonetta and the biggest game of the year.
Might be the perfect time to sneak Advance Wars Reboot Camp 😬.

Please 😭

I spent the past 5 hours timeboxing all my gaming in 2023 and I think I'm happy with the result:

[Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec]
=FE:E==========TLOZ: TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

I forgot about that already, lol. But I was meaning across all platforms; I really can’t think of anything coming out in April much, seems pretty open in general.

Kirby Return to Dreamland Remake, a new Fire Emblem with returning heroes, a Bayonetta spinoff with a completely different artstyle and gameplay direction, and Pikmin 4. 2023 is weird.

I can't get over how weird Bayo Origins is

Not necessarily the game itself, that's teased in Bayo 3 even though I was expecting it to be DLC or a part of the next mainline Bayonetta. But like, a full priced $60 game releasing 5 months from Bayo 3, published by Nintendo, with some sort of dual character control scheme (ok that one isn't that weird given it's basically Platinum's new shtick, but it seems to go even further this time)?

Like, I'm not sure I actually necessarily like what's shown so far, besides the very pretty art style, but man if it isn't intriguing as hell

They're really gonna make me buy dead cells with that dlc..... seems like it was a cool show, I'll watch SF and Tekken later, very excited for those

So 256GB Steam Deck is the one to get if I’m not really planning on taking it outside?
Only get the 64GB variant if you plan to upgrade it with an SSD yourself. Otherwise don't bother with that one.

The 256GB one is good, but don't expect to install more than ~4 bigger games on the thing. Definitely get a big mSD card, then -- 256GB or ideally even more, and try to go for the A2 versions (label on the mSD card's front).

I'm sorry but locking off the three house leaders as day 1 DLC is pretty lame.

But hey Nintendo did show up so we have to give them that at least.

I'm wondering if SEGA and Nintendo actually have a contract that makes Bayonetta basically "first party" or rather exclusive to them.
If you told me back in the days when Bayo 1 released on X360/PS3 that Nintendo will be the one to keep the IP alive and kicking, i'd have given you a weird look.

I had a crazy busy day so I just caught up on TGAs but:

ELDEN RING HELL YEAH

So glad it still pulled out the win. Easily my favorite game this year. Also definitely deserving of art direction, I’ve never been as stunned by so many locations in a game before, especially with its incredibly good framing and reveal moments to great views.

Overall though… kind of a medium show? Nothing too exciting premiered that wasn’t already known about (Hades 2 is cool but I’m not a huge fan), and it feels like GoW, Elden Ring, and Stray (for reasons I don’t get; come on people, play better indie games) won basically everything with very few surprises. Tunic in particular was robbed, and XC3 for music.

Looking back, it was the best choice. Easy to say now that it won, but it has been an evolution of the genre instead of "just" more of the same.

Which, ultimately, is what GoW Ragnarok was. More of the same. If you ask me, GoW 2018 being the evolution had a bigger "right" to claim such big GotY awards.

Ultimately, depending on how much evolution TotK brings over BotW, i could see that game losing TGA GotY, or rather most GotY awards, to another game with a big shakeup next year. If there is one.

Yeah, so that was kinda typical TGA for Nintendo. A random niche game nobody saw coming (in the tradition of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Bravely Default 2), and a DLC announcement.

Not sure how I feel about Bayonetta Origins; I didn't have time to get back to Bayonetta 3 after the credits hit, so I'm not sure how this style of gameplay works. That being said, it's a new Platinum and Nintendo collaboration, there wasn't anything on my radar for March, so it might be an option.

Fire Emblem Engage DLC is kinda... eh. I'll be getting the game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even if I might have quibbles with some aspects of it. But the season pass being there from before launch fits with what Emily said ages ago about the game being done and Intelligent Systems getting a head start on DLC preparation.

Hades 2 definitely my highlight of the evening, and then some. Might get back to the original at some point, but this weekend was meant to be for finishing XBC3 and having fun in Big Run.

While it was a shame to see XBC 3 miss out on awards, congrats to Sparks of Hope, Splatoon 3, Kirby, and Bayonetta 3. Says something about the quality and variety of the Switch line up this year that there are such quality games from different teams in different genres in different franchises getting this kind of acclaim.

Also another thought - Nintendo's TGA focus in terms of announcements was promotion for two of their Q1 titles and their movie, out in April. Even with Zelda in May, and Pikmin 4 finally coming, the rest of 2023 is something of a mystery.

On the one hand, a large part of my brain accepts that this is completely normal. By late February, we'll have likely had marketing presentations for Pokemon, perhaps Fire Emblem, and a general Direct, allowing Nintendo to fill in the blanks. Q1 is well and truly sorted, with 3 exclusives plus Octopath Traveler 2 as a notable release.

On the other hand, Nintendo's hesitancy to meaningfully promote Zelda or divulge more information about it is really interesting. We're 5 months from release, for a game that's been public for three and a half years, and we know next to nothing. Sure, the context is different versus Breath of the Wild, but I can't help but be suspicious the closer we get to release without any real information. Honestly, I can't think of any other Zelda title shrouded in this much mystery prior to release. There were a lot of unknowns about Breath of the Wild, but we'd seen the entire prologue of the game at gaming's highest profile event 9 months before release.

I don't think a delay is on the cards, given the game is content complete (thanks, game ratings agencies!). I am, however, increasingly suspicious.

If you're interested in my opinion, i think there's going to be at max. 2 more Zelda trailers before the game launches, depending on how the Drake announcement is and when it is maybe even just one.

There's certainly going to be an early 2023 (up to March/April) trailer similar to the story trailer for BotW that released at the Switch 2017 presentation.

I think that is going to be either the opener or closer of the first 2023 general Direct.

If Drake has it's own announcement event/stream and happens before TotK releases, that would likely also have some TotK stuff as it's a good candidate to show improvements over base Switch.

Now if Drake releases and is being announced after TotK, then we won't see more than just that story trailer before Zelda is available. Same if they actually announce Drake during the Direct, or shortly befoe via Press Release and the Direct will feature a segment on it.

My two thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom