• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a random question for the Famimusicians, but does anyone know a good (free) VST library for chiptune stuff? I want some old school sounds for some music I'm making.

I promise I'll share it when it's done!

Speaking of boomer shooters, I'm playing through Prodeus at the moment, and it's a blast.
It's like one of those fake video games in movies that are meant to show how evil and bad for kids games are, everything from the violence to the soundtrack feels designed to parody the moral panic over games like Doom.
Technically it's very low res, but that kinda makes it feel more authentic as its meant to be emulating a game from the 90s.

I'm also super excited for Turbo Overkill, another game in the subgenre confirmed for Switch next year.

so famiboards, what would your ideal direct thread look like (in terms of format, maintenance, events, etc, not what happens in it)
my ideal Direct thread would look like one where it happens

edit: shit, I just realized what you said in the parenthes

Shouting into the void here as to not muck up the SV OT lol

The ~twitter discourse on Pokemon being dumb~ continues with this embarrassing thread... plus the whole Musk<>Trump thing probably means it's time for me to get off it finally I guess, old habits die hard lol.

I really hate seeing journalists punch down like this. I get that having such a large platform is overwhelming since there are endless trolls, but what does this kind of conversation do for anyone? The parent tweet is clear bait, probably being used to misdirect some other aggression in his life.

Imran kinda sucks lol. Such an easy unfollow for me a few months ago

Speaking of boomer shooters, I'm playing through Prodeus at the moment, and it's a blast.
It's like one of those fake video games in movies that are meant to show how evil and bad for kids games are, everything from the violence to the soundtrack feels designed to parody the moral panic over games like Doom.
Technically it's very low res, but that kinda makes it feel more authentic as its meant to be emulating a game from the 90s.

I'm also super excited for Turbo Overkill, another game in the subgenre confirmed for Switch next year.

The boomer shooter is peak video game design.

i got eshop credit today on sale (costco) so I can save it for fire emblem engage and persona 3 and 4 :)
also bought catherine full body on sale, despite beating it on ps4 a year ago, I want to replay it, and I mostly play handheld and have a lot of free time at work, so yeah!

so famiboards, what would your ideal direct thread look like (in terms of format, maintenance, events, etc, not what happens in it)
Plum’s Bingo card thread last time made me really appreciate that, so that’d be a fun event. Kind of happens nearer the end of the thread, though, unless we want to update it every… month or so? Hard to say how we could do it

Is anyone committed to doing next month’s ST? I might be up for it if no one else has claimed it.

I’d be willing to do another one again. Even got another theme idea that wouldn’t be horse related again.

I think it's better to get fresh blood unless there's no new volunteers

So I would say let @Red Monster go for it!

What are monthly ST’s?

Haha - just checked the date this thread was made. I get it now. I can get in-line to make one!
We REALLY need to make an “ST Dibs List.” Maybe it can go at the bottom of @Red Monster’s ST next month, and we can keep it updated with people who claim the different threads?

As it stands right now I suppose it’s

Dec 2022 - Red Monster
Jan 2023 - Legion of Primes
Feb 2023 - zhou

I finally got my copy of Pokemon Violet in the mail today so I'm excited to dive in! I had to call Best Buy yesterday and they said my first copy was officially considered lost in the mail, so they sent out a replacement. Going to enjoy juggling Violet and Metroid Prime 2 for the site challenge :)

So, a while back I said I wanted to start my own project of making my own fake game OST, for a game that only exists in my mind (and will likely not exist outside of it tbh).

Anyway, for anyone that cares to listen I uploaded my first track to my soundcloud:

If anyone cares to listen please shoot me with some feedback or whatevs. Hope you enjoy it! On the soundcloud link I put some story of where I imagine the track playing.

It's always a relief when I can remove a game from my ebay/amazon saved searches lists.

Today I removed three.

After doing 4 STs this year, I certainly won't be doing that many next year, that's for sure.
Unless they release 4 Pokemon games.
Gamefreak :

hobbit-tempt.gif

So, a while back I said I wanted to start my own project of making my own fake game OST, for a game that only exists in my mind (and will likely not exist outside of it tbh).

Anyway, for anyone that cares to listen I uploaded my first track to my soundcloud:

If anyone cares to listen please shoot me with some feedback or whatevs. Hope you enjoy it! On the soundcloud link I put some story of where I imagine the track playing.

That's really good! I'm not a music professional, but I know I like what I hear. I would totally play this non-existent game.

We REALLY need to make an “ST Dibs List.” Maybe it can go at the bottom of @Red Monster’s ST next month, and we can keep it updated with people who claim the different threads?

As it stands right now I suppose it’s

Dec 2022 - Red Monster
Jan 2023 - Legion of Primes
Feb 2023 - zhou
I think this is a good idea, but I think there needs to be a Pokémon-style priority system. It's a dibs system within your priority bracket, with the bracket being determined by how many times you've done it before

So if you've done it once before, you can call dibs but if someone who has never done one calls dibs, they jump ahead of you. If you've done it twice, you don't go again until all the one-timers who want a second shot go again, and of course they don't even get their second shot while there's still fresh blood. Etcetera.

ST's should be handed out on a pay to play system. People bid on making an ST and whoever gives Bellydrum the most amount of money gets to make it for the month. In return, you can post whatever you want in the ST and all Famiboard's staff will turn a blind eye. Someone pay to make the January ST be about how much they love Sportsmate and even though that would bring great suffering to some users here, it's allowed because they paid money to do it.

I think this is a good idea, but I think there needs to be a Pokémon-style priority system. It's a dibs system within your priority bracket, with the bracket being determined by how many times you've done it before

So if you've done it once before, you can call dibs but if someone who has never done one calls dibs, they jump ahead of you. If you've done it twice, you don't go again until all the one-timers who want a second shot go again, and of course they don't even get their second shot while there's still fresh blood. Etcetera.
I think that’s a good rule of thumb, but we have had it where two people want the same month and another backs out quickly which I don’t think is necessarily bad. Like if you aren’t too interested, better to find out then since it is a lot of work.

Or the same conversation leads someone to realize another month is fine too. I guess I’m just saying, things have been working out well so far mostly.

Nah I get it.

I’m a casual Tales fan I’d say; In terms of presentation the game is leagues above its predecessors. However the story is so farfetched it’s nearing Final Fantasy VIII levels and that’s saying something.

I do like the battle system and discovering the area.
I've never finished a Tales Of game thus far, and I've tried, like, four (?) times at this point (Zestiria, Berseria, Vespiria, Arise, iirc). Arise was/is the one I've liked the most so far, but even then I don't feel invested to the degree that I'll likely be finishing it. I don't really see a substantial reason to continue pushing through, the eventual pay off doesn't seem to be there for me, going by what I've read/heard about where the game is heading, in terms of narrative especially.
It's gotten to the point where I'll have to assume that the series on the whole simply isn't really for me, I guess. It should be on paper, but the execution has never done it for me up until now, so... seems like a fundamental problem with the entire franchise. At least as far as I am concerned.

I've never finished a Tales Of game thus far, and I've tried, like, four (?) times at this point (Zestiria, Berseria, Vespiria, Arise, iirc). Arise was/is the one I've liked the most so far, but even then I don't feel invested to the degree that I'll likely be finishing it. I don't really see a substantial reason to continue pushing through, the eventual pay off doesn't seem to be there for me, going by what I've read/heard about where the game is heading, in terms of narrative especially.
It's gotten to the point where I'll have to assume that the series on the whole simply isn't really for me, I guess. It should be on paper, but the execution has never done it for me up until now, so... seems like a fundamental problem with the entire franchise. At least as far as I am concerned.
Tales games have a certain flavor to them for sure, and they often lean into batshit anime nonsense territory (often in a good way, if you like that!). They do have that problem of “every character has a secret, and if the cast just sat down and had a conversation where they all shared what they know half the game’s problems would be solved instantly or never happen” a lot. Tales of the Abyss is especially egregious about it.

I liked Arise a decent bit, mostly for the combat, but the pacing was really off, somehow; some things are glossed over super quickly that needed more weight and attention, while others are dragged out way too long, etc. Especially with character development and motivation. The game had a nasty habit of having a big pivotal cutscene with characters doing something that you have next to no context for why they’re acting that way or why you should feel for them… and then explaining why, in a skit, directly afterward. Which is just bizarre, and makes a ton of cutscenes and events just not land or have emotional weight at all.

Vesperia is the only one I’ve played more than a couple hours of… and I finished it. I liked it a lot, and the story gets really interesting toward the end.

Ooh Tales talk. My first Tales game was Symphonia on GameCube which I loved a ton. I think I beat it three times on GameCube pretty close together. I grew up with JRPGs thanks to my brother, but as mostly a Nintendo player and due to being younger then I didn’t always know my gaming tastes fully yet or which games I should seek out more of. But a friend had Symphonia and I was hooked right away. I’m kind of, sort of finally doing my GameCube replay project long put off while tackling the Metroid site challenge so I definitely plan to finally replay Symphonia soon as part of that.

Aside from Symphonia, I’ve played Vesperia, Graces F, Xillia, and Xillia 2. I like all four of these games. Vesperia is probably the most even of the bunch, but Graces F is my favorite since the combat and character growth systems are so good. I fell off with Zesteria since other games were out then (booted it up and shut it off basically, virtually no opinion on it), but I do want to get back to it some day. I collected the two after that, but haven’t touched them either.

Tales games have a certain flavor to them for sure, and they often lean into batshit anime nonsense territory (often in a good way, if you like that!). They do have that problem of “every character has a secret, and if the cast just sat down and had a conversation where they all shared what they know half the game’s problems would be solved instantly or never happen” a lot. Tales of the Abyss is especially egregious about it.

I liked Arise a decent bit, mostly for the combat, but the pacing was really off, somehow; some things are glossed over super quickly that needed more weight and attention, while others are dragged out way too long, etc. Especially with character development and motivation. The game had a nasty habit of having a big pivotal cutscene with characters doing something that you have next to no context for why they’re acting that way or why you should feel for them… and then explaining why, in a skit, directly afterward. Which is just bizarre, and makes a ton of cutscenes and events just not land or have emotional weight at all.
I think the pacing and what you wrote about the "big moment, but contextualise/explain it afterwards only" are what threw me off the most. It simply feels off in a major way. It's taken me out of the experience every now and then, and that's usually not a good sign. If a game's mechanical or narrative design gets in the way of my immersion, I'm not all too likely to put up with that for too long, other than if certain other elements are just masterfully made. Which I don't really feel is the case with Arise, it's pretty good here and there (the combat and visuals, mostly), it's decent in most other aspects, but it's just not good enough overall to balance out the really weird parts for me.
Now, other Tales Of games are an even trickier case for me, haha.

Shouting into the void here as to not muck up the SV OT lol

The ~twitter discourse on Pokemon being dumb~ continues with this embarrassing thread... plus the whole Musk<>Trump thing probably means it's time for me to get off it finally I guess, old habits die hard lol.

I really hate seeing journalists punch down like this. I get that having such a large platform is overwhelming since there are endless trolls, but what does this kind of conversation do for anyone? The parent tweet is clear bait, probably being used to misdirect some other aggression in his life.

This is such a weird interaction. Imran does tend to get aggy far too quickly but I also don't see the point of the reply to his original tweet. Stop baiting people and also stop spreading misconceptions.

I'm about to leave for a trip overseas, so I started Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies as one of the games I'm gonna play on the flight. I gotta say, I thought the 3D would be a downgrade from the sprite work of the first 4 games, but the way they animated the characters is so maniacally polished to give the same feel of the original games. I'm loving just how expressive every character is!

I wish more games that switched from 2D to 3D tried to retain this same level of care.

Every week you hand your account over to a different member of EPD and we have to guess who it is based on the memes and shitposts they create.

This was one of my favourite thread catch ups. I haven't even got dressed yet and Sakurai has basically confirmed Kid Icarus for Switch, Raccoon is handing his account over to EPD, and the FamiBoards economy has crashed and immediately rebounded. Wow.

This was one of my favourite thread catch ups. I haven't even got dressed yet and Sakurai has basically confirmed Kid Icarus for Switch, Raccoon is handing his account over to EPD, and the FamiBoards economy has crashed and immediately rebounded. Wow.

Don't forget that i finally made ScarVio progress and beat the first Titan Pokemon!

I saw some microSD listings with the HP branding and was trying to find official info about it, I was worried they might not actually exist 😅

But turns out the manufacturer is actually called PNY and they do have an authorized HP-branded line, seems fine

I'm used to SanDisk but for my region I only found listings from random stores so it was kinda suspicious 🤔

I saw some microSD listings with the HP branding and was trying to find official info about it, I was worried they might not actually exist 😅

But turns out the manufacturer is actually called PNY and they do have an authorized HP-branded line, seems fine

I'm used to SanDisk but for my region I only found listings from random stores so it was kinda suspicious 🤔
😱

Anectdotally I’ve yet to meet anyone who has a good experience with PNY’s products. Be wary of them.

The Fiend's Cauldron is one of the best parts of Uprising so I'm glad Sakurai did a video on it. I really like how playing on higher difficulties gives you better weapons so that you can do better in said high difficulties. It almost feels like a simplified Monster Hunter-ish gameplay loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom