• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was actually my favorite reaction:

Because it was followed by this:

imagine what it's like to have a reaction gif of yourself
also I fuckin love Simu Liu ❤️

Simu Liu isn’t entirely wrong but his criticism is completely misdirected. Accusing Scorcese of gatekeeping to defend Disney/Marvel is super gross considering his work with the World Cinema Project.

tarantino: multimedia franchise films are chiefly about long-standing characters and people come to see the IP, not the work itself

literal multimillionaire: fuck you gatekeeper shut the fuck up I have so much money you racist fuck you

Simu Liu isn’t entirely wrong but his criticism is completely misdirected. Accusing Scorcese of gatekeeping to defend Disney/Marvel is super gross considering his work with the World Cinema Project.
Even Tarantino did a lot of work to bring more asian movies and directors in the West, always praising their work etc. I still think that what he said was pretty dumb (or poorly worded), but it's even dumber how both sides are fighting on Twitter over what is simply a bad take.

seriously it's so disappointing to see headlines about movie directors ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING the mcu with FACTS and LOGIC and then it's just some guy on a podcast saying "y'know it's more about the characters than the actors"

I want someone famous to actually shit on the mcu for once god damn it

Hate to say it, but Tears of the Kingdom (i.e. the name) still hasn't really grown on me. Back when the Breath of the Wild title was announced I was in awe almost instantly. It just felt really good to say out loud. TotK I still find myself referring to as "the sequel" in my head.

okay sorry, damn
Look, I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm just saying that it was out of line for Simu Liu to drag Scorcese into this discussion. One could make an argument about Tarantino but as @Party Sklar has correctly pointed out, Tarantino himself has also championed non-US films and helped release a few through his now defunct label.

Bringing up Scorcese unprompted to me just comes off as uninformed at best and malicious at worst. Imagine using your fame and wealth and spending a large chunk of your life to restore literally hundreds of films that otherwise would have been lost and then being called a gatekeeper. Boggles the mind.

seriously it's so disappointing to see headlines about movie directors ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING the mcu with FACTS and LOGIC and then it's just some guy on a podcast saying "y'know it's more about the characters than the actors"

I want someone famous to actually shit on the mcu for once god damn it
I think the director of Godfather and Apocalypse Now calling them despicable should count.

My take on the Tarantino thing, aside from the silliness of this repetitive cycle, is that it's a lukewarm, mostly true thing to say about the MCU, but I don't really get it as a criticism. Like why does it matter that MCU stars aren't traditional movie stars? Why is that something to lament?

Also I think Simu's take was understandable, and I certainly agree that we don't want old white men lecturing us about something tangentially related to diversity, but I don't think his interpretation of what Tarantino said is necessarily what he actually said

Good lord I'm so sick of "popular thing bad" takes. Why can't people just realize "oh hey, this isn't for me but I'm glad people like it!" instead of accusing it of not being real cinema/games just because it doesn't fit into their interests? For example, I think we get too many JRPG's, but I don't want them to go away and I actually like some of them. It's that simple.

Even Tarantino did a lot of work to bring more asian movies and directors in the West, always praising their work etc. I still think that what he said was pretty dumb (or poorly worded), but it's even dumber how both sides are fighting on Twitter over what is simply a bad take.
That's kinda how Twitter and probably most online arguments happen now. Nobody even tries to address the substance of the argument.

Hate to say it, but Tears of the Kingdom (i.e. the name) still hasn't really grown on me. Back when the Breath of the Wild title was announced I was in awe almost instantly. It just felt really good to say.
Breath of the Wild never rolled off my tongue all that well, and it still sounds a bit awkward to me for some reason. Ya know like how some people have a reaction to the word "moist," I have a similar thing with "breath." I dunno.

However, for as weird as it feels for me to say "Breath of the Wild," I gotta agree "Tears of the Kingdom" isn't doing any better for me. It's weirdly cumbersome, for some reason? Hell, I typoed it three times just now.

Did you like it?
I did! It was gorgeous to look at, the performances were fantastic (I was really feeling Pádraic's pain and utter confusion, and I know what it's like to find solace in friendship with animals) and the slow descent into the darkly absurd was not what I was expecting. Absolute surprise. Weird as hell, palpable, and it had its logic and it stuck to it all the way to the end and I respect the hell outta that.

And since the theater was a good 45 miles away I listened to Anúna the whole way home, which sorta kept it all going. 😅

Look, I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm just saying that it was out of line for Simu Liu to drag Scorcese into this discussion. One could make an argument about Tarantino but as @Party Sklar has correctly pointed out, Tarantino himself has also championed non-US films and helped release a few through his now defunct label.

Bringing up Scorcese unprompted to me just comes off as uninformed at best and malicious at worst. Imagine using your fame and wealth and spending a large chunk of your life to restore literally hundreds of films that otherwise would have been lost and then being called a gatekeeper. Boggles the mind.
Pretty sure he was bringing up Scorcese because he was the first big director to vocalize the "Marvel movies aren't cinema" stance. Which I understand! I totally get that position, but that one statement of his a few years ago prompted like a month of toxic discussion on social media about "real" film fans vs "mainstream" pop culture followers, and that I think is the gatekeepy part. Simu could've worded it better, I agree, as I think he was more going after the toxic discussion that people try to prop up using Scorcese's (and now Tarantino's, probably) quotes, rather than the directors themselves or their work.

Either way, still sorry. I thought his sassiness with the gif was cute.

I thought this thread was going to be mostly Pokémon discussion or something, not MCU stuff lmao

Currently trying to decide what to play to celebrate my hand getting better while still sticking to around 45 minutes at a time. Maybe dead space or fallout new vegas?

I don't know if there are many Frogwares fans around here, but they just released a new trailer for their upcoming Sherlock Holmes game and I'm way more hyped about it than I thought I would be. It's a remake of the first game of theirs I ever played, so that probably helps.

The fact that they are able to do this while their country is torn apart by war is absolutely amazing too.

Anyone play The Long Dark? The devs just announced the first paid DLC for survival mode, alongside major free updates that overhaul the current experience.

A friend of mine is playing Violet and while talking about the music she brought up Toby Fox being involved but she didn't know his name so she called him "Mister Undertale" and I thought this thread would enjoy hearing that

Man I wanted to like Ghost Song so much, but I bounced off it hard.

some day I hope to enjoy a game again 😔

Quoted by: em
I have gotten an even greater appreciation for Christmas music by thinking about which songs would make great JRPG battle themes.
Don’t know about battle music, but Kenny G Christmas is definitely the closing credits music for any 90s Japanese game.

It's pretty wild with so many copies sold that post launch support for Animal Crossing isn't more significant for Nintendo. It would be such an easy win in the world of service games, even if it were just Booster Pass style low effort asset flips of new catalog items and such...

Can the damn mobile game and redirect those resources there Ninty, it's not too late!

It's pretty wild with so many copies sold that post launch support for Animal Crossing isn't more significant for Nintendo. It would be such an easy win in the world of service games, even if it were just Booster Pass style low effort asset flips of new catalog items and such...

Can the damn mobile game and redirect those resources there Ninty, it's not too late!
I think it's smart they haven't because New Horizons is beautiful, and that's a much bigger part of its appeal.

Nintendo is saving the Animal Crossing: Tears of the Tanookingdom expansion for the Switch Pro

Man I wanted to like Ghost Song so much, but I bounced off it hard.

some day I hope to enjoy a game again 😔

Ghost Song gets a lot easier and more enjoyable after the first segment, once you get a couple upgrades/weapons. But it never rises to greatness and ends with a whimper, so you're not missing much.

Welp, it's taken at least 30 minutes so far for UE4 to load up my world map level after a few weeks off.

Dear god I desperately need a better PC.

Woof. Just got asked to jump into some Warzone with a friend over break and I haven't played a call of duty since warzone came around so I did some digging.

Turns out with Warzone 2.0 that just came out, nothing from the 1.0 games is forward compatible to it in terms of guns, cosmetics, etc. WZ1.0 is staying online in a super limited way with no ongoing support and one map, and is the only place all of that can be used. That... is rough.

You know what, I changed my mind. @Red Monster shouldn't do the next ST. At least, not until he finishes God of War. I really wanna talk about the ending with him lol
I'm working on it! I got the (weapon spoiler) spear a couple nights ago, then did some more side content. Gonna start the next main story mission with Atreus and Thrud in Helheim tonight and see how far I get.

I know Bong Joon Ho also championed both filmmakers in his Parasite acceptance speech at the Oscars for helping international cinema become more world-renowned.
I got great news. Physical therapy is officially done. My hand has a clean bill of health
This is amazing, huge congratulations!! Looks like I finally popped back in on the right day haha
I watched The Banshees of Inisherin in an empty theater last night, does that count?
C I N E MA

I loved that odd little gem. Stellar performances across the board, perfect tonal balance. Such a hilarious film laced with deeply felt pathos. That one scene near the end involving Farrell's character that sets the stage for the rest of the third act was such a heartbreaker.
My take on the Tarantino thing, aside from the silliness of this repetitive cycle, is that it's a lukewarm, mostly true thing to say about the MCU, but I don't really get it as a criticism. Like why does it matter that MCU stars aren't traditional movie stars? Why is that something to lament?
I'm not sure if it was a lamentation so much as an observation (I'd have to listen to the full segment from the podcast), but I guess you could argue that IP drives butts to the theaters instead of performers nowadays, which can be a shame when you're a famous actor trying to prop up a brilliant indie for awareness/interest, and certainly when you're pitching scripts with talent attached that should have a huge influence on whether the movie is greenlit, but instead an exec tells you "Yeah but what if it was part of the Cloverfield universe instead?"

Can just be kinda exhausting when you're trying to make your voice heard in the biz or throw your well-earned weight around from acting, only to realize you're up against fandoms and brands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom