• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST10 2022 July| ve A Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Black Panther 2 trailer made me really emotional. Easily the best MCU trailer since Endgame.

Barely in the intro

Even the first game by itself is pretty long, like ~25h. But the nice thing is that you can play it one case at a time. I thought it was great even though it didn't quite reach the heights of Trials & Tribulations for me. TGAA2 is supposed to be among the series' best, though, and directly builds upon the events of TGAA1.

I'd personally play TGAA first then play something else first before moving onto TGAA2 but I know that some people preferred playing everything in one go.

Even the first game by itself is pretty long, like ~25h. But the nice thing is that you can play it one case at a time. I thought it was great even though it didn't quite reach the heights of Trials & Tribulations for me. TGAA2 is supposed to be among the series' best, though, and directly builds upon the events of TGAA1.

I'd personally play TGAA first then play something else first before moving onto TGAA2 but I know that some people preferred playing everything in one go.
I just meant today as a pace breaker XD tho I’d probably do the full intro case

Meanwhile I'm here having just played recently played AA2. I'll get to the rest of them eventually!

Fun game though, if a definite step down from the first. I think my opinions on it differ pretty greatly from the norm. I actually liked Case 3, and thought Case 4 was...fine? It was a neat twist on earlier cases but I didn't think it did anything else particularly special.

Isn't the creator of Eternal Darkness supposed to be..... very problematic, to say the least? Or is that someone else on the team. That's probably why Nintendo doesn't want to bring the series back.

Isn't the creator of Eternal Darkness supposed to be..... very problematic, to say the least? Or is that someone else on the team. That's probably why Nintendo doesn't want to bring the series back.

Dyack is just a bit of a dumbass. McCulloch, the writer of ED, on the other hand...

I mean, Denis Dyack isn't exactly the most likable person, even when he disavowed GAF, attempted an AMA on Era and then wouldn't come clean on his g*merg*te stance, but yeah I recall reading in the news one of the other former higher ups at Silicon Knights was charged and jailed for possession of contraband.

I mean, it's not an original thought but give Eternal Darkness to Retro Studios; Western dev that is better suited to understanding the thought process of the game, known for making dreary and creepy atmospheric settings, solid gameplay mechanics and would give them an opportunity to stretch their creative wings after having who knows how many other projects shelved and moving beyond Metroid Prime

I’ve got a question for you RPG enjoyers as an invading casual making a creature-catching game

if additional moves (ie usable TMs) were aggressively customizable, would that be stressful or fun?

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I haven't even played Xenoblade Chronicles 3, but because I'm a speculative sicko, I'm wondering what's next for Takahashi's team. Given the positive critical reception, and assuming a strong commercial reception, continuing to grow Xenoblade would have to be a priority.

But I also wonder if Takahashi might want to change direction, or do something different. Maybe porting X over while making a new non-Xeno project would work? X keeps the series in the limelight, and gives a much bigger audience a chance to experience the game (it can also stand apart from the numbered entries, for obvious reasons).

I guess though, the first thing for Takahashi and Co is whatever the story dlc next year will be. If Torna is any indication, we're looking at a solid 15 to 30 hour experience.

Dyack is just a bit of a dumbass. McCulloch, the writer of ED, on the other hand...

That's who I was thinking of. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to deal with that legacy.

That's who I was thinking of. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't want to deal with that legacy.
The original developer team also doesn't exist anymore and they have little reason to give it to another developer even if they want a horror game when they could contract such a developer to make a new IP that fits better the developer style (which is what they tend to do) or fund some horror game series like Fatal Frame.

I’ve got a question for you RPG enjoyers as an invading casual making a creature-catching game

if additional moves (ie usable TMs) were aggressively customizable, would that be stressful or fun?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Ok back to Digimon for now. This afternoon tho I’m swapping to either FEWTH or TGAA. Thoughts?
I feel like VNs don’t make particularly good pace breakers from JRPGs so I’d go with FEWTH.

Sounds fun to me honestly.

I haven't even played Xenoblade Chronicles 3, but because I'm a speculative sicko, I'm wondering what's next for Takahashi's team. Given the positive critical reception, and assuming a strong commercial reception, continuing to grow Xenoblade would have to be a priority.

But I also wonder if Takahashi might want to change direction, or do something different. Maybe porting X over while making a new non-Xeno project would work? X keeps the series in the limelight, and gives a much bigger audience a chance to experience the game (it can also stand apart from the numbered entries, for obvious reasons).

I guess though, the first thing for Takahashi and Co is whatever the story dlc next year will be. If Torna is any indication, we're looking at a solid 15 to 30 hour experience.
xc6siaierhy61.jpg

It's time

Seriously though, I do think the 'Xenoblade Chronicles' series is finished after 3; even from the first trailer it was presented as a culmination of 1 and 2. I can see Monolith wanting to focus on creating a wholly unique showpiece for whatever hardware comes next for Nintendo.

Last edited:

I bought Xuan Yuan Sword 7 on Xbox and it's like this B-movie you rented over and over. Like, it's not top tier but it's fun as hell and the music is just absolutely stunning. This is the kind of games I sometimes just really REALLY need. Play it people if you have the chance!

oh, possibility isn’t the issue. I’m already in progress on it. It’ll be annoying and maybe make the game impossible to balance and full of chaos, but… that’s sort of what I’m going for

oh my god I didn’t even consider the DBZ angle, you’re so right

knowing that people like it being chaotic and goofy makes me very happy because that’s definitely my inclination

But I also wonder if Takahashi might want to change direction, or do something different. Maybe porting X over while making a new non-Xeno project would work?
Yeah, absolutely would love this. Especially since I want MonolithSoft to take on the Chrono series.
Yes, I know this is outrageously unrealistic.
No, I don't care.

Fuckin yes to THIS

oh my god I didn’t even consider the DBZ angle, you’re so right

knowing that people like it being chaotic and goofy makes me very happy because that’s definitely my inclination

Playing some more Xenoblade Definitive Edition and, damn, every game with party members - outside of Pokemon-styled 'monster collecting' games - should have generous XP share between everyone. It's so nice not having to worry about whether X party member is the right level before I experiment with them.

The game's also just kinda... chill? I don't know, but now that I've got the hang of things and am taking my time, the routine of exploring -> side-questing -> doing a bit of story -> moving to a new area is just... nice lol

Think I'm actually gonna play through the series. This'll be my "marathon series," for this year, as the Halo and Yakuza games were last year.
This is one of the biggest reasons why I love the Xenoblade series so much; it’s just really chill and isn’t a stressful experience, unlike most other RPG series out there—including Pokémon. The Xenoblade games, while being absolutely massive adventures that you can easily put hundreds of hours into, respect the players’ time and peace of mind in ways that the vast majority of other games of the genre just don’t. The first Xenoblade Chronicles is the worst in this regard, with it having some annoyances like missable quests and items, a somewhat complicated and time-consuming Gem Crafting system, etc. But even so, when it first released it was still so much nicer of an experience than most other RPGs, and Definitive Edition rounds out some of its edges and adds some much appreciated quality of life features as well.

Honestly, because of my general disinterest in most RPGs due to how stressful and time consuming they tend to be, I had no interest in Xenoblade Chronicles at all when it first released. I only got around to playing it on Wii when I did because I happened to luck out and find it for cheap, and there were rumors of Shulk being in Smash, so I figured I may as well try it out. And boy am I glad that I did, because once I got past the beginning of the game (which was admittedly a bit overwhelming for me initially and almost turned me off to the game) it began to grip me like no other game had before—an experience that has remained consistent for me with every Xenoblade game to date.

It’s because of all this that I can put hundreds of hours into a Xenoblade game and love pretty much every minute of it, while I struggle to complete (or even start) other RPGs and groan when I hear how long they’re supposed to take to beat. I wish more RPGs would take a cue from Xenoblade when it comes to this kind of stuff. Of course, Xenoblade also has its gripping story, expansive worlds, and engaging combat going for it, while most other RPGs don’t hit the same highs in all those areas to me, so even with Xenoblade’s conveniences they still wouldn’t be quite as appealing as Xenoblade is to me.

I’m convinced that their next projects are totally going to be Xenoblade Chronicles X for Switch followed by a sequel to X. I believe that’s the “next step” in the future that Takahashi spoke of moving on to after Xenoblade Chronicles 3 being a “summary” of the Xenoblade series so far—chronologically in-universe, that is, which is why X is left out. That’s what I think, at least.

Playing some more Xenoblade Definitive Edition and, damn, every game with party members - outside of Pokemon-styled 'monster collecting' games - should have generous XP share between everyone. It's so nice not having to worry about whether X party member is the right level before I experiment with them.

The game's also just kinda... chill? I don't know, but now that I've got the hang of things and am taking my time, the routine of exploring -> side-questing -> doing a bit of story -> moving to a new area is just... nice lol

Think I'm actually gonna play through the series. This'll be my "marathon series," for this year, as the Halo and Yakuza games were last year.
Honestly I'd argue that every RPG should have EXP share as long as it's balanced around it. I don't think mandatory EXP Share is the problem with modern Pokemon games, or at least not inherently. The problem is that modern Pokemon is not balanced around EXP Share, at least to preserve challenge. Like, I'll be real, in the era of non-party wide EXP share, leveling Pokemon was such a chore. I much prefer even the mandatory EXP share of SwSh to that, but I'd mostly prefer the games to be balanced better around EXP share.

I've also been playing through the beginning of P4G to pass time while waiting for XC3, and while a lot of the game is good to great, the fact that only the Persona you end a fight with gets XP (at least, to my knowledge) is just so annoying, at least for someone who's more used to how SMT does things (even though the EXP share isn't super generous there, it's still something, and you can also have 4 active demons as opposed to 1 Persona).

I posted about this game the other day but....

It's wild to me that someone basically made Zelda Maker and it practically flew under everyone's radar. Apple Arcade really is where games go to die.

And that’s chapter 14 of cyberslueth down, time to work on 15 then take a lunch break. Also up to famed Cyberslueth/rank 15

Yooo, that's sick! Glad to see it arrived pristine and quicker than expected!
I’ve never ordered from official pix before and they’ve been in the business for a long time and got the official seal of approval from Mark Hamill himself. Now if only he would do one one of these days

Came in nicely packaged.

I bought Xuan Yuan Sword 7 on Xbox and it's like this B-movie you rented over and over. Like, it's not top tier but it's fun as hell and the music is just absolutely stunning. This is the kind of games I sometimes just really REALLY need. Play it people if you have the chance!

steam?

you always hear the "its fun with friends" argument.......but the question is.....which games are actually worse with friends???
Overcooked

Hands up anyone who's shouted "You're in my WAY!" at least once playing multiplayer

Looks like Xenoblade 3 isn't the only game with 3 in the title getting good reviews this week.

Ok, there's like only 4 so far, but 3 of them are good marks!

I'm really in the mood to play something tonight.. but I am really having a hard time focusing on it knowing I will drop it ASAP XC3 arrives..
Got any rogue/rogue-likes, puzzle, or simulation games (ie. SimCity / The Sims)? I find those to be good "filler" games when between games,

you always hear the "its fun with friends" argument.......but the question is.....which games are actually worse with friends???

It's nice that Nintendo has their own prominent JRPG series with Xenoblade. I guess Pokemon counts too, but Xenoblade fits the "core" audience a bit more. Well... maybe fire emblem fits that mold as well? Semantics aside, I think my point still stands.

The funny thing is that while I've gotten into many JRPG series over the past few years, I couldn't stick with Xenoblade. But I'm still glad Nintendo/Monolith makes them! Having many genres covered on the switch is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom