• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

This isn't a good argument. Metroid's most marketable product during that time period was Prime, which sold about as much as both Golden Suns combined. This is a bit like saying that Paper Mario not outselling Zelda meant that Mario was less popular than Zelda in the pre-Switch days. It doesn't make sense.

Comparing sales of games on different consoles like that is what makes no sense. A full scale Golden sun on console at the time would also have sold more, because comparable software just did on GameCube.

Comparing sales of games on different consoles like that is what makes no sense. A full scale Golden sun on console at the time would also have sold more, because comparable software just did on GameCube.
Fair, but my point wasn't that Metroid was more popular, but that the comparison is flawed to begin with. I don't think either comparison makes much sense, all we have to compare is software sales at the time, and Golden Sun sold more on GBA, whereas Metroid sold more overall. The topic was about IP, not about software sales on a specific console.

Besides, even if we're just focusing on GBA vs GBA, the argument is pretty flimsy. GBA's first party software sales were horrible by 2004, it's also home to the lowest selling mainline Zelda game ever, a title that didn't even crack 2 million. I'm fairly sure Lost Age's almost 2 year head start in Japan and almost 1 year head start overseas over Zero Mission speaks to the GBA's first party strength at the time more than anything. It would have sold more either way of course, but the sales would be closer and I'm not convinced Golden Sun would have sold as well as Metroid on console (that gets into hypotheticals though).

Last edited:
With Shiro Mouri being confirmed as a Mario Wonder Director it's safe to assume that Amano is working on new IP, possibly with Sakaguchi again (ala Splatoon 1). We have not heard about Sakaguchi in a long time too. So either each of those are working as Directors or new IP's or are working together as in the past.

With Shiro Mouri being confirmed as a Mario Wonder Director it's safe to assume that Amano is working on new IP, possibly with Sakaguchi again (ala Splatoon 1). We have not heard about Sakaguchi in a long time too. So either each of those are working as Directors or new IP's or are working together as in the past.

Odds of them co-directing a game together are rather slim. They each are on an upward trajectory and are likely each heading up their own unique projects. Now, the thing you can't account for is if any of these project staggers or never gets off the ground. One example is Yoshikazu Yamashita, from Nintendo Switch Sports. Absent from any released works for a long time due to an unrelease prototype project and then Nintendo Switch Sports hitting delays.
Kyogoku is likely to be promoted to producer, and Nogami to... EPD manager (?), I suppose? So Animal Crossing will need a new director.

Same for Fujibayashi and Aonuma.

With production reaching larger scales, Nintendo has expanded roles they acknowledge so besides producer we've seen several consistent co-producer, production manager for personnel who probably hold manager and assistant manager roles in their respective production groups.

I would predict you see Nogami, Kyogoku as producer and Kazuyoshi Sensui as director for the next Aniimal Crossing.

Retro Studios should make a horror game Metroid spin-off after Prime 4
I just imagined an entire Metroid game that has the vibe of the G.F.S. Valhalla.

Yeah, I still think a Metroid game that leans into the horror elements and vibe could be incredible, and that's a standard game starring Samus, with her superior capabilities and all.

And I've also long thought horror just makes sense as the way to go if there's a spinoff. Something that wouldn't even register with Samus could devastate someone else.

Odds of them co-directing a game together are rather slim. They each are on an upward trajectory and are likely each heading up their own unique projects. Now, the thing you can't account for is if any of these project staggers or never gets off the ground. One example is Yoshikazu Yamashita, from Nintendo Switch Sports. Absent from any released works for a long time due to an unrelease prototype project and then Nintendo Switch Sports hitting delays.
Do you think it's still possible that Amano is co-director of Wonder? Personally I don't see that happening at all.

And speaking of people from EPD5, it looks like Toshiharu Izuno is a producer on whatever project he is doing at EPD5. Last being credited as a Producer on Mario & Luigi in 2018 and then just as a Special Thanks for both New Horizons and Splatoon 3.

Yeah, I still think a Metroid game that leans into the horror elements and vibe could be incredible, and that's a standard game starring Samus, with her superior capabilities and all.

And I've also long thought horror just makes sense as the way to go if there's a spinoff. Something that wouldn't even register with Samus could devastate someone else.
Metroid Fusion lean on the horror aspect

Retro Studios should make a new Donkey Kong Country game instead of another damn Metroid Prime
Retro Studios should make a new Donkey Kong Country game and another damn Metroid Prime game. And an original/different thing inbetween.

Retro Studios should be a two project studio so we wouldn't need to do this dance with every game they make once every half-to-full-decade.

Retro Studios should make a new Donkey Kong Country game and another damn Metroid Prime game. And an original/different thing inbetween.

Retro Studios should be a two project studio so we wouldn't need to do this dance with every game they make once every half-to-full-decade.
after Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezy, i expect Retro Studios to conclude the new Donkey Kong Country games and then a new Metroid Prime or IP, 9 years waiting just to do a Metroid Prime remaster, disapointing, or Metroid Prime 4 release, even if it take 6 years to do, or this will spell Retro Studios end

after Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezy, i expect Retro Studios to conclude the new Donkey Kong Country games and then a new Metroid Prime or IP, 9 years waiting just to do a Metroid Prime remaster, disapointing, or Metroid Prime 4 release, even if it take 6 years to do, or this will spell Retro Studios end
can you try to rephrase that second half because I also cannot follow what you're trying to say

can you try to rephrase that second half because I also cannot follow what you're trying to say
it baffle me that in 9 years, Retro Studios could have concluded the new Donkey Kong games, but no they spent years doing nothing, in all this time, time that could be used for a new Donkey Kong

it baffle me that in 9 years, Retro Studios could have concluded the new Donkey Kong games, but no they spent years doing nothing, in all this time, time that could be used for a new Donkey Kong
They didn’t spend 9 years doing nothing. Whatever their next project after TF got canned, and then they got saddled with picking up the slack after Bandai Namco fumbled the ball with Prime 4. Donkey Kong is merely an innocent bystander of that debacle.

They didn’t spend 9 years doing nothing. Whatever their next project after TF got canned, and then they got saddled with picking up the slack after Bandai Namco fumbled the ball with Prime 4. Donkey Kong is merely an innocent bystander of that debacle.
doing nothing in the term of releasing a game in this period, too much experimitation without results

You know they didn't literally do nothing. You're in this thread, I refuse to believe that you're not aware that they haven't been sitting around looking at the ceiling. They were working on projects that got canceled or put on ice and then created the remake demo that got them the MP4 gig after that project fell apart at Bamco. You cannot seriously believe they did nothing other than port their previous game to a new system. Games get canceled, pitches get rejected, priorities get shifted around so that prototypes get put on hold to possibly be returned to later. All of this is normal development stuff.

They just released another project that garnered massive praise and reinvigorated their reputation. They are in absolutely no danger at this moment.

doing nothing in the term of releasing a game in this period, too much experimitation without results
some of your recent posts truly make me think you're trying to think too much like an executive, this just baffles me.

Last edited:
I think the problem here is that they don’t appear to be a big enough studio to be working on multiple games at the same time aside from remasters/ports, so when shit happens the protracted development cycles of modern day video games make their output appear woefully inadequate.

They are lucky to be under Nintendo instead of someone like Activision, at least.

I think the problem here is that they don’t appear to be a big enough studio to be working on multiple games at the same time aside from remasters/ports, so when shit happens the protracted development cycles of modern day video games make their output appear woefully inadequate.

They are lucky to be under Nintendo instead of someone like Activision, at least.
true it would be nice if Retro Studios could do 2 project at ounce

According to DK Vine Nintendo sought to bring Donkey Kong back home, to Nintendo, after having being handled by many outside studios...
It's probably because Nintendo has bigger plans for DK and Retro was busy with other stuff after Tropical Freeze. I wouldn't be surprised if Retro was to make another DK if their project after Tropical Freeze panned out

Unless Prime 4 sells like 20m copies, there's no chance Retro is expanded to a two team studio after whatever happened from 2014 to 2019.
While I mostly agree. Tropical Freeze Switch port and MP remake have combined outsold Xenoblade 2, 3 and the 1 remake on Switch. Hard to say how much freedom and control they were allotted versus Nintendo being heavy handed. We do know that Nintendo has rejected a lot of Retro’s proposals and been rather heavy handed, at least prior to Tropical Freeze’s release. A number of their concepts and ideas sounded really appealing to the western audience. Their original idea for MP3 sounded excellent with a more open world approach and taking bounties for destructive bioweapons/creatures but Nintendo shot it down because ‘Samus wasn’t actually a bounty hunter like that’. Yet somehow projects like Federation Force were approved and released.

Monolithsoft certainly seems to have been granted a lot of freedom to develop their own original IPs. However, that may be due to the amount of resources and effort they dedicate to assisting with Zelda development. If the games and concepts Retro had produced were really broken or unusable that is one thing. However, based on things Nintendo has helped produce since the Wii days; I question how terrible the product might’ve been. Especially considering Retro’s history of developing such high caliber software. If there were some major creative differences and direction issues in that regard. I would’ve thought Nintendo would’ve dedicated more of Retro’s resources to supporting and assisting NLG or NCL with their titles in development or had NCL/NLG provide assistance to Retro for their projects. Between MP1-3, trilogy wiimake, MK7 assistance, and the two DKC titles there was clear and consistent high quality output from Retro. Post-TF, all we got was DKCR 3DS, TF Switch and a high quality remake of Prime.

According to DK Vine Nintendo sought to bring Donkey Kong back home, to Nintendo, after having being handled by many outside studios...
Nintendo plan to make Donkey Kong great again is to do a Mario vs Donkey Kong game? i expected at least a 2D Donkey Kong game or maybe another attemp at a 3D game, if Pyoro leaks about the new Donkey Kong is true, this dont sound like Nintendo want Donkey Kong to be huge game

Nintendo plan to make Donkey Kong great again is to do a Mario vs Donkey Kong game? i expected at least a 2D Donkey Kong game or maybe another attemp at a 3D game, if Pyoro leaks about the new Donkey Kong is true, this dont sound like Nintendo want Donkey Kong to be huge game

Mario vs. DK isn't a "standalone DK" title to begin with. Regardless, Nintendo has a long history of having multiple versions of certain IPs across the board from Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sports, to even the IP you are referring to (Donkey Kong). So the existence of one doesn't mean the other doesn't exist.

Monolithsoft eems to have been granted a lot of freedom to develop their own original IPs.

Not sure I follow. They basically have only been able to work on Xenoblade for the last 10 years, outside of support for Nintendo projects.

Nintendo plan to make Donkey Kong great again is to do
a Mario vs Donkey Kong game? i expected at least a 2D Donkey Kong game or maybe another attemp at a 3D game, if Pyoro leaks about the new Donkey Kong is true, this dont sound like Nintendo want Donkey Kong to be huge game
Please do not discuss Direct leaks in this thread. I'd be beyond pissed if I hadn't already seen someone else openly talk about it elsewhere. There's other threads for that stuff.

Not sure I follow. They basically have only been able to work on Xenoblade for the last 10 years, outside of support for Nintendo projects
Takahashi mentioned that expanding the Xenoblade franchise before doing anything else was something MonolithSoft and Nintendo both agreed on.

I'd like to imagine that Nintendo's plans to expand their development teams over the next decade isn't just limited to EPD, and will extend to growing the teams at Monolith Soft, Next Level Games, and Retro Studios as well.

On a tangential note, I'm not entirely convinced that Metroid Prime 4 is do-or-die for Retro unless they massively drop the ball. And even then, becoming a support studio for NLG and other Nintendo studios ala NST seems like a more likely fate than dissolution. You don't give the job of saving a game from development hell to a studio that just went through development hell for what became a cancelled project if you don't value and believe in that talent.

On a tangential note, I'm not entirely convinced that Metroid Prime 4 is do-or-die for Retro unless they massively drop the ball. And even then, becoming a support studio for NLG and other Nintendo studios ala NST seems like a more likely fate than dissolution. You don't give the job of saving a game from development hell to a studio that just went through development hell for what became a cancelled project if you don't value and believe in that talent.
Yeah, the idea that Nintendo would close down Retro Studios if Metroid Prime 4 sold poorly is weird, because Metroid as a series historically sells poorly anyways. Nintendo's expectations are almost certainly low, even if they think Prime is ambitious enough to break the ceiling of Metroid, they're not going to base their financial goals around Prime 4 massively exceeding its potential. The only way Metroid Prime 4 would be the end of Retro is if it sells poorly and is critically panned, and even then I think the scenarios you laid out are far more likely, along with a possible studio reforming.

I mean, yes, if Prime 4 sells poorly (<3m) but is really really good, then Nintendo will definitely keep them open and will just tell Tanabe to make a game in a popular genre.

The "Great game, but still doesn't sell great" scenario would not be great for 3D Metroid, of course.

You need to make a bad game that sells poorly to be demoted to a support studio (like Forspoken)

Yeah, the idea that Nintendo would close down Retro Studios if Metroid Prime 4 sold poorly is weird, because Metroid as a series historically sells poorly anyways. Nintendo's expectations are almost certainly low, even if they think Prime is ambitious enough to break the ceiling of Metroid, they're not going to base their financial goals around Prime 4 massively exceeding its potential. The only way Metroid Prime 4 would be the end of Retro is if it sells poorly and is critically panned, and even then I think the scenarios you laid out are far more likely, along with a possible studio reforming.
only the end of Retro Studios as a developer, if Metroid Prime 4 dont reach Nintendo sale expectation, downgraded to a suport estudio

only the end of Retro Studios as a developer, if Metroid Prime 4 dont reach Nintendo sale expectation, downgraded to a suport estudio
This literally makes no sense & should of happened already considering they didn’t put out a game in ages before getting MP4.

If MP4 fails to reach expectations then either the expectations were way too ambitious or Metroid needs to change to reach said expectations.

While I mostly agree. Tropical Freeze Switch port and MP remake have combined outsold Xenoblade 2, 3 and the 1 remake on Switch. Hard to say how much freedom and control they were allotted versus Nintendo being heavy handed. We do know that Nintendo has rejected a lot of Retro’s proposals and been rather heavy handed, at least prior to Tropical Freeze’s release. A number of their concepts and ideas sounded really appealing to the western audience. Their original idea for MP3 sounded excellent with a more open world approach and taking bounties for destructive bioweapons/creatures but Nintendo shot it down because ‘Samus wasn’t actually a bounty hunter like that’. Yet somehow projects like Federation Force were approved and released.
I mean Retro was a mess pre-Prime so it only figures that Nintendo would be heavy handed to both get the studio in shape + give them consistency. FF was approved & released because a well regarded studio + Tanabe wanted to do it.

Last edited:
why the hell are you in a thread about game development if you know absolutly nothing about game development, at least learn from what other people are saying.

retro can afford those 9 years becuase other nintendo studios are still devloping games, despite being different dev teams they don't act independently of one another.

Nintendo leadership: we decided to push Zelda back a year to polish it, 2D Mario didn't have any deadlines to start, we spent five years on Nintendo Switch Sports

Nintendo "connoisseur": too much experimentation without results

Nintendo leadership: we decided to push Zelda back a year to polish it, 2D Mario didn't have any deadlines to start, we spent five years on Nintendo Switch Sports

Nintendo "connoisseur": too much experimentation without results

How did they spend 5 years on Switch Sports though.

You would think they would prepare that with more post-release content if they spent so much time on it.

The way some people post you'd think they're just waiting for Nintendo to close studios. Make an account on electronicsartsboards dot com if you're so horny for layoffs.

Mario vs. DK isn't a "standalone DK" title to begin with. Regardless, Nintendo has a long history of having multiple versions of certain IPs across the board from Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sports, to even the IP you are referring to (Donkey Kong). So the existence of one doesn't mean the other doesn't exist.

Not sure I follow. They basically have only been able to work on Xenoblade for the last 10 years, outside of support for Nintendo projects.
Well Xenoblade is an original IP which is more than what retro has been allowed to do. I may be wrong but I also get the sense that Nintendo hasn’t been very heavy handed in regards to Xenoblade development and allowing creative freedom. I’d be very skeptical if much of anything regarding Xenoblade’s game, character, and art design came from Nintendo. I also get the impression that Xenoblade’s development is a mutual decision between monolith and Nintendo. Not to mention, I felt more marketing, attention and prominence has been shown in regards to Xenoblade than Retro’s projects. I haven’t seen Nintendo putting a lot of concerted effort into trying to make Retro titles a success in Japan as they have done for their IPs or Xenoblade and MH in the west.
I'd like to imagine that Nintendo's plans to expand their development teams over the next decade isn't just limited to EPD, and will extend to growing the teams at Monolith Soft, Next Level Games, and Retro Studios as well.

I’d like to see Nintendo continue to expand a bit more on the western game development front. I feel they have a stronghold on the Japanese gaming market, producing and partnering with 3rd party developers to more than provide enough appealing products to the Japanese gaming market. Western interpretations of Luigi’s Mansion, DK, and Metroid have resonated with the western audience. I’m sure other existing ips such as Star Fox, F-Zero, or Splatoon spin-off could appeal to broader or different audiences given the chance to be developed by a western studio. A Zelda title/spin-off could be interesting and at least be somewhat different than the Warriors titles. Or even a new IP equivalent to Xenoblade for the western gaming market.

Also, I don’t think Nintendo has ever shuttered one of its own first party studios. I don’t see them ever doing that to Retro, much like they haven’t done with NCL.
This literally makes no sense & should have happened already considering they didn’t put out a game in ages before getting MP4.

If MP4 fails to reach expectations then either the expectations were way too ambitious or Metroid needs to change to reach said expectations.

I mean Retro was a mess pre-Prime so it only figures that Nintendo would be heavy handed to both get the studio in shape + give them consistency. FF was approved & released because a well regarded studio + Tanabe wanted to do it.
I may be wrong but Retro wasn’t around for that long prior to Nintendo coming in. I also believe that Nintendo kinda cleaned up and took out the toxic employees that made it a mess pre and post Prime 1 development.

My point about FF is that the proposals and ideas they denied with Retro but then later approved for FF seemed conflicting. While I like NLG, their game’s quality has never come close to Retro’s. I’m unsure how someone could argue that Retro isn’t well regarded while saying that NLG is. NLG produces quality products ranging from 7-8.5/10. While all of Retro’s output has been 9-10/10’s. DKC:R has sold roughly on par with the Luigi’s Mansion titles that NLG is producing. Although TF releasing on the Wii U makes it a slightly harder comparison. Retro’s attention to art and game design in every game has been on par with the Zelda and 3D Mario development teams.

Last edited:
My point about FF is that the proposals and ideas they denied with Retro but then later approved for FF seemed conflicting.
I believe they were debating the point about Federation Force because that wasn't an internal pitch from NLG. While they had been working on-and-off with a Metroid multiplayer concept, it was Tanabe who came in and dictated that their next game should be Fed Force. Ironically, he did the same thing with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

I'd also argue, if only to play devil's advocate, that the situations feel conflicting because we may just know more about the random stuff Retro devs have pitched over the years thanks to people regularly asking and prodding at former Retro devs to share info, hence why we know everything from the big prototypes like the Sheikah game to pitch documents made by a handful of staff that didn't even get past Retro's own higher-ups like Metroid Tactics.

I don't see the same curiosity surrounding the inner workings of NLG -- likely because, as you note, they don't carry the same prestige -- so there's probably quite a few projects that they pitched to Nintendo that we just don't know about because no one is really asking. (Or maybe there just aren't as many ex-NLG staff wandering around to ask. Not sure what their retention rate is.)

Last edited:
I may be wrong but Retro wasn’t around for that long prior to Nintendo coming in. I also believe that Nintendo kinda cleaned up and took out the toxic employees that made it a mess pre and post Prime 1 development.

My point about FF is that the proposals and ideas they denied with Retro but then later approved for FF seemed conflicting. While I like NLG, their game’s quality has never come close to Retro’s. I’m unsure how someone could argue that Retro isn’t well regarded while saying that NLG is. NLG produces quality products ranging from 7-8.5/10. While all of Retro’s output has been 9-10/10’s. DKC:R has sold roughly on par with the Luigi’s Mansion titles that NLG is producing. Although TF releasing on the Wii U makes it a slightly harder comparison. Retro’s attention to art and game design in every game has been on par with the Zelda and 3D Mario development teams.
Retro was established in ‘98 & essentially worked solely for Nintendo systems due to the Spangenberg connection. They took ownership because of issues with Spangenberg & Retro’s issues with not completing games.

It really isn’t that conflicting when looking at the games in question or who produced/directed them. I’m honestly not sure what you’re trying to get with this weird comparison. Nintendo views NLG as a well regarded studio thus when Tanabe wanted to revisit FedForce, NLG was tapped & willing to develop it. It really is that simple.

Well Xenoblade is an original IP which is more than what retro has been allowed to do. I may be wrong but I also get the sense that Nintendo hasn’t been very heavy handed in regards to Xenoblade development and allowing creative freedom. I’d be very skeptical if much of anything regarding Xenoblade’s game, character, and art design came from Nintendo. I also get the impression that Xenoblade’s development is a mutual decision between monolith and Nintendo. Not to mention, I felt more marketing, attention and prominence has been shown in regards to Xenoblade than Retro’s projects. I haven’t seen Nintendo putting a lot of concerted effort into trying to make Retro titles a success in Japan as they have done for their IPs or Xenoblade and MH in the west.
Nintendo has put way more marketing muscle behind Retro's game than MS. Every Retro game has been given prominent promotions at events like E3, while Nintendo spent years trying to bury games like Soma Bringer and Disaster: Day of Crisis in the west. The big difference now is that Monolith actually ships games, while Retro has spent the last decade putting out remasters.

No. Again: Unless Metroid Prime 4 both sells poorly and is bad, Nintendo is not going to cap Retro as a studio. What would actually happen if it sold poorly is they'd just be put on a more relevant IP, which even the team itself would probably be happier with then continuing to make flops.

I'd also argue, if only to play devil's advocate, that the situations feel conflicting because we may just know more about the random stuff Retro devs have pitched over the years thanks to people regularly asking and prodding at former Retro devs to share info, hence why we know everything from the big prototypes like the Sheikah game to pitch documents made by a handful of staff that didn't even get past Retro's own higher-ups like Metroid Tactics.
EXTREMELY important to keep in mind that most of that stuff the devs are openly talking about in those interviews is just internal pitches/ideas that were kicking around and not anything in the realm of "canceled games" or as you point out with the Tactics example, games that even got to the stage of being actually pitched for a green light to go into production. That's why they even feel comfortable sharing this stuff because it's not tied to actual real pitches that would still fall under NDAs and stuff.

Retro Studios should make a new 2d Metroid and a new 3D Donkey Kong, just to flip things around and see what happens.

No. Again: Unless Metroid Prime 4 both sells poorly and is bad, Nintendo is not going to cap Retro as a studio. What would actually happen if it sold poorly is they'd just be put on a more relevant IP, which even the team itself would probably be happier with then continuing to make flops.
Stuck making Mario spin-offs until the end of time if this happens, like Camelot

Back
Top Bottom