• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

"here Playtonic guys, have this huge pile of cash and 100 additional developers, Tanabe will oversee you guys."

2D DK poofs out of thin air 1 year later

How fast do you think a new studio is ready to go to make a modern high budget title? This takes probably years of putting resources into unproven developers. They are based in the UK so good luck finding enough devs for a 2D platformer of all things.
Yes, it obviously would have taken some time. I don't see anyone arguing otherwise? I'm not sure why you're trying to strawman an admittedly highly hypothetical scenario to death.

I guess the crux of it is the question of whether the experience of the veterans at PlayTonic would be worth funding rather than starting something from scratch. That's not a question I can answer, having not played their good game. I've played a bit of their crappy one though, and I'm glad that wasn't on shelves for $60 with Donkey Kong in it.
Nintendo literally helped someone start up a studio who used it for his sex parties and then had to buy him out. They've thrown better money at worse.

Yes, it obviously would have taken some time. I don't see anyone arguing otherwise? I'm not sure why you're trying to strawman an admittedly highly hypothetical scenario to death.
You start questioning my rationality behind my opinion, so I question yours, easy as that. Its a forum.

Nintendo literally helped someone start up a studio who used it for his sex parties and then had to buy him out. They've thrown better money at worse.
for the uninformed, here Dardan is of course referring to Raccoon Enterprises, the venture I founded with the promise of annual Tomodachi games

four years on we're still working on 3

I'm not even advocating for Nintendo making Playtonic a 1st party studio lol

I think an external dev arrangement has potential. It doesn't need to be a big AAA DK, but having a smaller experience reminiscent of classic DKC1/2/3 I think would be a win for the fans with the team being afforded the guidance of NCL and a better budget. People wrote off MercurySteam and also wrote off Ubisoft making a Mario game, so I don't think it's reasonable to write off another western team and say they don't have the chops before they'd ever have that opportunity to prove themselves.

PlayTonic's DKC spoof is pretty highly regarded, right? If Nintendo wants to go that way I don't see how it could be construed as a bad option.

It definitely is part of the fork in the road for Nintendo. Do they continue to expand their external relations, leaving internal developers to work on only the most important projects, or do they try to expand internal resources enough to take on more projects even as development costs balloon? There isn't an obvious choice there, though I've generally aligned with the latter in the past.

I think it's fair to say that the future of 2D Metroid lies outside the company. Is Donkey Kong too good for a similar arrangement? Despite its historic significance I would say not.

PlayTonic's DKC spoof is pretty highly regarded, right? If Nintendo wants to go that way I don't see how it could be construed as a bad option.

It definitely is part of the fork in the road for Nintendo. Do they continue to expand their external relations, leaving internal developers to work on only the most important projects, or do they try to expand internal resources enough to take on more projects even as development costs balloon? There isn't an obvious choice there, though I've generally aligned with the latter in the past.

I think it's fair to say that the future of 2D Metroid lies outside the company. Is Donkey Kong too good for a similar arrangement? Despite its historic significance I would say not.

I think you could do both as well. Having an external team make essentially a "Donkey Kong Mania" type project shouldn't preclude Nintendo from going big with the IP either. Having a steady stream of games is ultimately better for rebuilding interest in the franchise than taking decade long naps.

By putting words into my mouth? Okay then, great talk!
You made it sound like Nintendo would be better off if they just gave Playtonic resources. Sorry for misinterpreting your comments then.

Don't wanna endlessly discuss this. I just didn't get the discussion in the first place because to me DK is one of the most important franchises. And I would love DK to be at a premier EPD studio if Retro has no resources to spare.

I didn't really say its too good, All I said was that Playtonic hasn't the resources and growing a company out of 6 ex-rare devs would be unrealistic.

it's worth noting that the last DK game came out an astounding eight and a half years ago. technically it's deader than Chibi-Robo!

I don't really say its too good, All I said was that Playtonic hasn't the resources.
yeah, I'm speaking more generally now

"too good" should be in scare quotes anyway

Mercury Steam has first of all Metroidvania experience and second of all already a staff of over 100 people.
Some people really want this fantasy of these small indie studios to work on these big Nintendo games. Nintendo won’t invest the money into it for good reasons. This is a business not a dream.

Donkey Kong is definitely deader than Pikmin, somehow

Tropical Freeze: 2014
Tropical Freeze port: 2018

Pikmin 3: 2013
Hey Pikmin: 2017
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2020
Pikmin Bloom (a mobile game!): 2021

I'm not even advocating for Nintendo making Playtonic a 1st party studio lol

I think an external dev arrangement has potential. It doesn't need to be a big AAA DK, but having a smaller experience reminiscent of classic DKC1/2/3 I think would be a win for the fans with the team being afforded the guidance of NCL and a better budget. People wrote off MercurySteam and also wrote off Ubisoft making a Mario game, so I don't think it's reasonable to write off another western team and say they don't have the chops before they'd ever have that opportunity to prove themselves.
A DKC in the style of Sonic Mania would be great, but I wouldn't want that as the future of the franchise if you get what I mean, didn't we discuss the future for the series?

Quote:"I still feel like PlayTonic could have become a good new home for Donkey Kong had Nintendo tried to court them early on but I guess (n)either was interested enough in it to make it happen and now it's probably too late."

oh yeah we did

I'd love for Nintendo to take a hybrid approach to both Donkey Kong and Zelda, having different companies taking care of the 2-D and 3-D installments of those series.

Nintendo would obviously handle the 3-D Zelda games, but the other three could be given to external partners. Retro has proved they can make an awesome 2-D Donkey Kong. Capcom has produced great 2-D Zelda games. And Rare did very well with Donkey Kong 64. So there is a bit of history in that regard, even if Rare is not an option anymore. But maybe that's where PlayTonic could come in handy.

But this is obviously crazy fantasy that will never happen. I refuse to get my hopes up. :p

I'd love for Nintendo to take a hybrid approach to both Donkey Kong and Zelda, having different companies taking care of the 2-D and 3-D installments of those series.

Nintendo would obviously handle the 3-D Zelda games, but the other three could be given to external partners. Retro has proved they can make an awesome 2-D Donkey Kong. Capcom has produced great 2-D Zelda games. And Rare did very well with Donkey Kong 64. So there is a bit of history in that regard, even if Rare is not an option anymore. But maybe that's where PlayTonic could come in handy.

But this is obviously crazy fantasy that will never happen. I refuse to get my hopes up. :p
Most of the guys inside Capcom that made Zelda games got poached by Nintendo already btw

It should be said Playtonic has grown exponentially since the Tencent investment. I don't think they are quite a 100 person team yet, but they definitely have more than 6 people.

And yeah, MonkEPD and a hypothetical Playtonic DK could coexist. Just because one is in development doesn't mean the other can't happen.

It should be said Playtonic has grown exponentially since the Tencent investment. I don't think they are quite a 100 person team yet, but they definitely have more than 6 people.

And yeah, MonkEPD and a hypothetical Playtonic DK could coexist. Just because one is in development doesn't mean the other can't happen.

26 according to their site.

Getting both Nintendo's Gameboy Donkey Kong and Rare's Donkey Kong Country in 1994 was actually pretty based.

Most of the guys inside Capcom that made Zelda games got poached by Nintendo already btw
Oh, I didn't know that. Well, I assumed many of them were not in Capcom anymore. It's been almost two decades since The Minish Cap, after all. But I didn't know they were eventually hired by Nintendo. If those guys are still inside Nintendo, I say get them together to form a team dedicated to 2D Zelda.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, I assumed many of them were not in Capcom anymore. It's been almost two decades since The Minish Cap, after all. But I didn't know they were eventually hired by Nintendo. If those guys are still inside Nintendo, I say get them together to form a team dedicated to 2D Zelda.
They are inside nintendo, is the same team that make BotW

For the record, because I feel like it's been lost in this back and forth, a new DK would absolutely have the potential sales/popularity to justify a take by an EPD team.

I was just thinking that given enough time and resources PlayTonic could have made a good if not great entry. Impossible Lair was really good despite being presumably made on a shoestring budget. So it stands to reason that Nintendo's guiding hand and deep pockets could have helped them reach even higher. I don't think I've ever implied that this should have absolutely happened or else! in any of my posts.

For the record, because I feel like it's been lost in this back and forth, a new DK would absolutely have the potential sales/popularity to justify a take by an EPD team.

I was just thinking that given enough time and resources PlayTonic could have made a good if not great entry. Impossible Lair was really good despite being presumably made on a shoestring budget. So it stands to reason that Nintendo's guiding hand and deep pockets could have helped them reach even higher. I don't think I've ever implied that this should have absolutely happened or else! in any of my posts.
I get your opinion on this. I really do. To explain my point of view again:

Tropical Freeze set a extremely high bar gameplay wise and presentation wise.
A smaller scale title would be possible by a new founded studio from Indy devs and maybe even amazing as Sonic Mania showed.
I just don't think it should be the future or the main thing for such a historical franchise.

It should be more of a "in-between the big thing"....ehh thing.

DK should have a bigger budget imo because good luck selling a first party game for 60 Dollars when it isn't in the same ballpark as Tropical Freeze.

EDIT:

2D Zelda is a pretty good example of this as mentioned by folks.

Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild's director was the director for all of Capcom's Zelda games

Donkey Kong is definitely deader than Pikmin, somehow

Tropical Freeze: 2014
Tropical Freeze port: 2018

Pikmin 3: 2013
Hey Pikmin: 2017
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2020
Pikmin Bloom (a mobile game!): 2021
looking at this Pikmin has to be Miyamotos favorite IP lol

Since we are talking about Impossible Lair, I'd like to take this opportunity to praise the absurdly clever overworld design that game had.

As far as 2-D platformers go, it's the biggest step forward in overworld design since Super Mario World. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves because the game that did it was relatively small.

Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild's director was the director for all of Capcom's Zelda games
You learn something new every day! It's no wonder I greatly love those games so much.

I don't like Skyward Sword as much as the other ones he directed, but they are all at least 9/10 in my book.

Last edited:
I get your opinion on this. I really do. To explain my point of view again:

Tropical Freeze set a extremely high bar gameplay wise and presentation wise.
A smaller scale title would be possible by a new founded stuio from Indy devs and maybe even amazing as Sonic Mania showed.
I just don't think it should be the future or the main thing for such a historical franchise.

It should be more of a "in-between the big thing"....ehh thing.

DK should have a bigger budget imo because good luck selling a first party game for 60 Dollars when it isn't in the same ballpark as Tropical Freeze.

EDIT:

2D Zelda is a pretty good example of this as mentioned by folks.
Oh yeah, they absolutely can't go back from what Tropical Freeze did and I don't think PlayTonic as they exist today would be a good fit to relatively quickly made a new DK game either. Thus that highly hypothetical scenario.

If Impossible Lair was a DKC game, I would rank it as my third favorite in the series with DKC2 and Tropical Freeze just above it. That's just how good that game is.

He is also the de facto successor of Aonuma after he retires as the head of the franchise
the dude is talented for sure. I wonder what the Zelda after TP could have looked like if they didn't have to reboot it after Nintendo showed them the Wii Motion Plus. Its no secret that Skyward Sword was rushed.

EDIT: maybe rushed is the wrong word. But it definietly had some developement problems as far as I remember.

the dude is talented for sure. I wonder what the Zelda after TP could have looked like if they didn't have to reboot it after Nintendo showed them the Wii Motion Plus. Its no secret that Skyward Sword was rushed.

EDIT: maybe rushed is the wrong word. But it definietly had some developement problems as far as I remember.
TP had a more problematic development, with the appointed director going nowhere with the project and Aonuma stepping in to save the ship. With SS, more than a problem with the game itself, I think they had problems with the direction the series was supposed to take.

TP was the best-selling Zelda game at the time (counting Wii + GC sales). Every other company would have made a TP - Part 2. But TP itself already was, for all the intent and purpose, OoT - Part 2 -- a very traditional Zelda game. But before and after the release, Miyamoto showed a slight dissatisfaction with it (before: "It's going to be the last Zelda as we know it"; after: "good but not amazing, something is missing").

So, the Zelda Team was in an awkward position -- they wanted to take the series in new directions, but at the same time the traditional game they just released was selling like gangbusters (especially outside of Japan). They were also wary not to betray "the essence of Zelda" -- which, on one hand, makes perfect sense; on the other, they focused too much on minutiae -- IIRC in the Iwata Ask of Spirit Tracks, someone defined the essence of Zelda as the jingle you can hear opening a chest (which, I mean, it is iconic, but...), and they were very, very afraid with the train idea. Compare this spirit with BotW "an alien invasion" concept -- they are day and night.

I assume there were a lot of prototypes and scrapped ideas behind the scene, which led to a 5-year gap between TP and SS -- a lot of time for an SD game sharing the engine with the previous instalment. The end result was their first attempt to leave the OoT formula behind, focussing more on the puzzles. ALBW and BoTW were a second attempt, made with a similar spirit but focusing on the openness of the world instead, and with a team less cautious not to betray the series' conventions.

Last edited:
TP had a more problematic development, with the appointed director going nowhere with the project and Aonuma stepping in to save the ship. With SS, more than a problem with the game itself, I think they had problems with the direction the series was supposed to take.

TP was the best-selling Zelda game at the time (counting Wii + GC sales). Every other company would have made a TP - Part 2. But TP itself already was, for all the intent and purpose, OoT - Part 2 -- a very traditional Zelda game. But before and after the release, Miyamoto showed a slight dissatisfaction with it (before: "It's going to be the last Zelda as we know it"; after: "good but not amazing, something is missing").

So, the Zelda Team was in an awkward position -- they wanted to take the series in new directions, but at the same time the traditional game they just released was selling like gangbusters (especially outside of Japan). They were also wary not to betray "the essence of Zelda" -- which, on one hand, makes perfect sense; on the other, they focused too much on minutiae -- IIRC in the Iwata Ask of Spirit Tracks, someone defined the essence of Zelda as the jingle you can hear opening a chest (which, I mean, it is iconic, but...), and they were very, very afraid with the train idea. Compare this spirit with BotW "an alien invasion" concept -- they are day and night.

I assume there were a lot of prototypes and scrapped ideas behind the scene, which led to a 5-year gap between TP and SS -- a lot of time for an SD game sharing the engine with the previous instalment. The end result was their first attempt to leave the OoT formula behind, focussing more on the puzzles. ALBW and BoTW were a second attempt, made with a similar spirit but focusing on the openness of the world instead, and with a team less cautious not to betray the series' conventions.
Do we know who TP original director was. I always assumed it was Aonuma didn’t know he took over during development

Nintendo don't have enough studios, incredible how two such prestigious IP such as DK and Metroid seemingly have to be on rotation.

Then you have Starfox and Pikmin in the chaos tier, you'll be lucky to get one every five years.

They need a banter studio to put AA-tier games in series such as 1080, WaveRace, PunchOut etc on rotation.

Nintendo are in the middle of expansion, so we'll have to see how things look in a few years i'd say.

The good thing about Star Fox and Pikmin in particular, though, is that they'll always find their way back eventually. Nothing to be concerned about with DK either honestly; he'll be back in a brand new game eventually with the theme park and film on the way.

Nintendo are in the middle of expansion, so we'll have to see how things look in a few years i'd say.

The good thing about Star Fox and Pikmin in particular, though, is that they'll always find their way back eventually. Nothing to be concerned about with DK either honestly; he'll be back in a brand new game eventually with the theme park and film on the way.

Starfox is in huge trouble post-Miyamoto. Nintendo have no idea what to do with it, and suggesting “giving it a good budget” will have you thrown out of the boardroom window in no time.

Starfox is in huge trouble post-Miyamoto. Nintendo have no idea what to do with it, and suggesting “giving it a good budget” will have you thrown out of the boardroom window in no time.
the obvious thing to do with it is stop trying to make rail shooters a thing with the money they throw at it

make furry mass effect instead

Take it back to strategy imo. Command was the best Starfox I've played, and 2 had some cool ideas too. Not to mention it's a genre almost entirely unrepresented by Nintendo.

Nintendo don't have enough studios, incredible how two such prestigious IP such as DK and Metroid seemingly have to be on rotation
Metroid still gets lucky because nintendo constantly pushes it in hopes they get a "on steroids version of metroid prime's success", perfect for the more hardcore market.
Then you have Starfox and Pikmin in the chaos tier, you'll be lucky to get one every five years.
Sadly none of these franchises have the prestige or... luck metroid (within nintendo) has had. Star fox has literally no vision and everything they do is a rehash of older games with miyamoto's newest bad idea.
They need a banter studio to put AA-tier games in series such as 1080, WaveRace, PunchOut etc on rotation.
That was NST decades ago but... yeah. I hope someone else fills the void.

I've been saying for a while that they need to distract Miyamoto with a VR Star Fox attraction while they toil away at a new console game in secret.

Back
Top Bottom