• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think June Direct will be:
OPENER: Super Mario 2D Next(holiday 2023)
Spotlights: TotK DLC, F-Zero GX HD, Splatoon 3 Side Order, a third party timed exclusive reveal(DQ III 2DHD?)
Headlines: Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door HD, Mortal Kombat 1, impossible port, MK8DX DLC, Raincode final trailer, Professor Layton, something Atlus(SMT IV/A ports?), Switch Sports DLC(I forgot there was even that left still), casual game/port/new entry on a series that nobodies expects, in the vein of Miitopia/Switch Sport's/Mario Strikers
CLOSER: Metroid Prime 4 (holiday 2023, spring 2024, 2024)
This list got me thinking - we are probably due for a new NDcube game; they are pretty good at releasing games in a timely fashion so unless COVID screwed them hard, we should see their next project this year
2018 - Super Mario Party
2020 - Clubhouse Games
2021 - Mario Party Superstars

Also, it's been a while since Good-Feel's last game as well, but I think they are working on more independent projects nowadays.

Catch me up: is there any specific evidence that Zelda will get DLC? With the nature of its development creatively and the absence of any purchase disclaimer on its shop listing I had hoped it wouldn't see any.
Don't quote me on this, but I think Nintendo pretty much always announces that they have DLC planned before a game is even out, so the fact that they didn't do it with Zelda makes me personally believe there won't be any. (But, there's also a part of me that thinks that maybe they didn't mention DLC because they wanted to keep everything about the game close to their chest...)

Don't quote me on this, but I think Nintendo pretty much always announces that they have DLC planned before a game is even out, so the fact that they didn't do it with Zelda makes me personally believe there won't be any. (But, there's also a part of me that thinks that maybe they didn't mention DLC because they wanted to keep everything about the game close to their chest...)
I think they couldn't really announce the DLC beforehand since it's most likely tied to something story related, so they'll wait a bit to announce it

This list got me thinking - we are probably due for a new NDcube game; they are pretty good at releasing games in a timely fashion so unless COVID screwed them hard, we should see their next project this year
2018 - Super Mario Party
2020 - Clubhouse Games
2021 - Mario Party Superstars

Also, it's been a while since Good-Feel's last game as well, but I think they are working on more independent projects nowadays.
The fact Superstars came and didn't receive any post launch support and a whole lot of people that worked on Super Mario Party and didn't come back in Superstars or Clubhouse gives me a lot of hope on us getting a new game by them this year.
What would that be tho?
Super Mario Party 2/Superstars 2?
A non-screwed Animal Crossing Party?
A new Animal Crossing spin off?
With the astronomical proportions that Animal Crossing went, Nintendo would be dumb to not invest in spin offs.
Mario Party And Friends featuring boards and characters from Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Metroid is my person dream. A killer app for a final holiday.

The fact Superstars came and didn't receive any post launch support and a whole lot of people that worked on Super Mario Party and didn't come back in Superstars or Clubhouse gives me a lot of hope on us getting a new game by them this year.
What would that be tho?
Super Mario Party 2/Superstars 2?
A non-screwed Animal Crossing Party?
A new Animal Crossing spin off?
With the astronomical proportions that Animal Crossing went, Nintendo would be dumb to not invest in spin offs.
Mario Party And Friends featuring boards and characters from Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Metroid is my person dream. A killer app for a final holiday.
Yeah, I'm also thinking something Animal Crossing related - I knew they made Amiibo Festival, but I only learned a few minutes ago (when I checked their Wikipedia page) that they also worked on Pocket Camp, so it seems like they are fairly involved with the franchise.
I have no idea how Amiibo Festival played other than the fact that you needed to use amiibo, but I could see something like Monopoly or Fortune/Itadaki Street style gameplay fitting well with Animal Crossing's aesthetics, mechanics, themes, etc.

Otherwise, I have no idea what else they could be making - if it's not AC then I hope it's a new IP, because another Mario Party would be the most boring option...

Otherwise, I have no idea what else they could be making - if it's not AC then I hope it's a new IP, because another Mario Party would be the most boring option...
I would KILL for a new Mario Party. It's my favourite Mario spin-off and I really really hope they have an as awesome online support of the game as they did with Superstars

I would KILL for a new Mario Party. It's my favourite Mario spin-off and I really really hope they have an as awesome online support of the game as they did with Superstars
Yeah, I agree that Mario Party is overall pretty good and wouldn't exactly oppose a new one - I just think that it's the most boring and safe choice between the options to make a new AC spin-off, a brand new IP, or a new Mario Party game.

Hopefully NDCube’s next project isn’t Animal Crossing related. Give us a party game from a new IP, preferably one that makes no sense whatsoever.

We haven’t had enough Fire Emblem games as of late, they should adapt Garreg Mach Monastery into a board game.

Superstars 2 which uses GC boards and brings back a version of MP5-7's capsule system feels like a really obvious thing to do.

My guess is Mario Party Superstars DLC to tide people over until a big new NDCube title launches for the successor (basically Mario Kart 8 Booster Pass but with more chaos).

Splatoon 3 had its DLC revealed 5 months after the game came out, tbh I can see somewhat of a similar pattern here, even tho I think the first teaser of TotK DLC in June, with release timing being similar. I can see it being 4 waves like FE and Xenoblade, with the last wave being the story expansion that works like a standalone game and releasing by late summer or fall 2024(tbh I hope that's the case, but Wave 1 this holiday and Wave 2 in spring 2024 being all we get is more likely).
i hope that's the case becouse while BOTW's DLC was fine for $20, paid DLC for most other major Nintendo games post BOTW blow it out of the water in quninty and quality. and despite not beating the game yet there's at least two major story beats not explained in TOTK that could work as stand-alone expansions

Last edited:
Catch me up: is there any specific evidence that Zelda will get DLC? With the nature of its development creatively and the absence of any purchase disclaimer on its shop listing I had hoped it wouldn't see any.
Why wouldn't you want totk dlc?

I have a other worry, they really are going to drop Pikmin 4 or F-Zero GX with a trailer on youtube and thats it?

Pikmin 4 NEEDS a full fledged direct trailer and also does F-Zero GX

Shadowdrops only work if you called Mario or Zelda

Splatoon 3 had its DLC revealed 5 months after the game came out,
This isn't technically correct

Splatoon 3 had it's paid dlc announced a month before the game launched. We only got the details of what the paid dlc would include in February 2023. TotK has had no dlc announced, and from memory only Animal Crossing New Horizons and Mario Kart Deluxe had paid dlc announced after the game launched. Every other paid dlc game Nintendo has done this gen was available to buy day 1.

My guess is Mario Party Superstars DLC to tide people over until a big new NDCube title launches for the successor (basically Mario Kart 8 Booster Pass but with more chaos).
While MK8D and AC:NH showed it's never too late for dlc, I stand by at this point I think a Superstars 2 is far more likely then Superstars DLC.

Mario Kart 8 is the obvious big counter to this, but Splatoon 3 for another recent example didn't have any paid DLC announced until February this year

Splatoon 3 had it's paid dlc announced a month before the game launched. We only got the details of what the paid dlc would include in February 2023. TotK has had no dlc announced, and from memory only Animal Crossing New Horizons and Mario Kart Deluxe had paid dlc announced after the game launched. Every other paid dlc game Nintendo has done this gen was available to buy day 1.

While MK8D and AC:NH showed it's never too late for dlc, I stand by at this point I think a Superstars 2 is far more likely then Superstars DLC.

Hmm, alright about Splatoon. But it's not the only example either; Pokemon recently, while a slightly different case was only announced on Pokemon day as well, obvious as it was. Luigi's mansion 3 DLC was only announced in December 2019 after releasing a few months before. It can go either way, and Nintendo played TOTK so close to their chest that it's very easy to imagine them announcing it later.

Last edited:
Mario Kart 8 is the obvious big counter to this, but Splatoon 3 for another recent example didn't have any paid DLC announced until February this year
Mario Kart 8 obviously didn't have DLC planned so I get that, but as @BassForever mentions above, the DLC for Splatoon 3 was announced a month before launch in the Direct.

Pikmin need at least an extended look at the very least

And F-Zero should at least in a direct to have any chance at all, twitter dropping dead franchise is not a good idea
Fair enough, but after Zelda I'd like to see less of games going forward. I'm already sold on Pikmin and would be content to see nothing else before launch

Fair enough, but after Zelda I'd like to see less of games going forward. I'm already sold on Pikmin and would be content to see nothing else before launch
Pikmin 4 just looks like a $60 expansion of Pikmin 3, what did they spend a decade working on?

/s

Nintendo has literally never had a direct in August that wasn't for a single specific game other than 2013 when they had directs every month of the year other than March though
Nintendo also never did Third party directs until 2020. Like it is not unreasonable to speculate about an August Direct, Mini or Twitter Drops. They will do the Marketing based on what they think is best for the platform and the games they have available. It dosen‘t make sense to have a big fancy direct in June when there aren‘t that many exciting games for the rest of the year. It would set the wrong expectations. That‘s why for example they hold their third party direct last year in July instead of June because they knew it would be compared with past showing or presentations of other publishers.

Nintendo also never did Third party directs until 2020.
logo.png

Good job for Nintendo attending Gamescom in August with Pikmin 4 (already month out by that time) and Prime 4 png logo.
You know I keep thinking about the fact Pikmin 4 and Prime 4 being the only games announced now, but on the other hand I also keep thinking about how Grubb, Nate and such haven't heard anything about a Direct which at this point, makes me believe there isn't one

You know I keep thinking about the fact Pikmin 4 and Prime 4 being the only games announced now, but on the other hand I also keep thinking about how Grubb, Nate and such haven't heard anything about a Direct which at this point, makes me believe there isn't one
We still got plenty of time left, chill.

They can reveal a few games for Gamescom without a Direct. I don't think it's especially likely but it's a possibility.

Similarly, a Direct could come in early August

They can reveal a few games for Gamescom without a Direct. I don't think it's especially likely but it's a possibility.

Similarly, a Direct could come in early August
if they decide to do a Direct in August, this means they'll more than likely deviate from their usual September plans which has been the most consistent spot for Nintendo Directs, which would be very interesting if that happens

if they decide to do a Direct in August, this means they'll more than likely deviate from their usual September plans which has been the most consistent spot for Nintendo Directs, which would be very interesting if that happens
I think a first party Direct in early August and a Partner Showcase in the TGS slot would be a great approach this year

I hope they bring F-Zero GX HD, if the remaster is this year, I think the Gamescom coverage would help the game

Especially in to looking at whatever Nintendo have done for the difficulty and controls

We're in here talking about a Nintendo Direct

Meanwhile I'm mostly wondering when Nintendo is finally adding Donkey Kong 64 to NSO

I think a first party Direct in early August and a Partner Showcase in the TGS slot would be a great approach this year
This would be interesting, but then Nintendo would probably need to use that August Direct to detail first party releases through to the end of the fiscal year. Maybe they genuinely don't have much, but I wonder if they'll want to pace announcements more than that.

It's not unprecedented to see 4 or 5 new announcements from Nintendo in a single Direct, though. And something like Pokemon Presents in June or July could also help by detailing Scarlet/Violet DLC and any spin offs (Detective Pikachu, Mystery Dungeon?) announced and out the way.

I think a first party titles only direct in 2023 would be an awful idea for Nintendo. Partner/indie showcases make sense because Nintendo wants to promote all the 3rd parties/indies still supporting the device despite the next generation of consoles being out and the power gap being enormous. Doing a first party only direct now would give off the impression/feed the narrative that only Nintendo is still seriously supporting the Switch anymore.

I think a first party titles only direct in 2023 would be an awful idea for Nintendo. Partner/indie showcases make sense because Nintendo wants to promote all the 3rd parties/indies still supporting the device despite the next generation of consoles being out and the power gap being enormous. Doing a first party only direct now would give off the impression/feed the narrative that only Nintendo is still seriously supporting the Switch anymore.
It's also kind of hard to market this type of presentation, 3rd party is 3rd party but what is first party? Are these just titles developed by Nintendo? Published by Nintendo? Not to mention it's name, something like "Nintendo Direct - Nintendo Showcase?". Even if the General would have something like only 30-35 minutes they would have something to full together General Direct.

It's also kind of hard to market this type of presentation, 3rd party is 3rd party but what is first party? Are these just titles developed by Nintendo? Published by Nintendo? Not to mention it's name, something like "Nintendo Direct - Nintendo Showcase?". Even if the General would have something like only 30-35 minutes they would have something to full together General Direct.
Nintendo Spotlight. Not fully 1st party exclusive but the closest we've gotten to one.

Nintendo Spotlight. Not fully 1st party exclusive but the closest we've gotten to one.
They know the Direct branding works the best though. I still don't think it's a good idea, as was said above, it would give the assumption that everyone moved from the Switch and only Nintendo is supporting their system.

There's just no reason to do that. If Nintendo has that many titles in the pipeline ready to show off and release in the next 6-12 months, they'd be better off splitting them between 2-3 normal directs. Even just in a vacuum of Nintendo only stuff, a direct that is literally this

New 2D Mario
New 3D Donkey Kong
New Rhythm Heaven
New 2D Zelda
F-Zero GX Remaster
Paper Mario TTYD Remaster
New Ever Oasis
New Mario Party
More DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
New Golden Sun
More DLC for Smash Ultimate
Metroid Prime 4 trailer and dated

The new Rhythm Heaven, Ever Oasis, and Golden Sun are just absolutely buried and lost in the shuffle.

I suspect that this new 2D Mario game is in development since 2018. You may ask, how? Mario Maker 2 shipped in June 2019. And that's right. But it needs to be say again that various past 2D Mario leads/designers are missing from Splatoon 3 credits, their last work being Octo Expansion in 2018. Maker 2 was released in June 2019, and these people who worked on Octo Expansion have not been just doing nothing the whole year and waiting until EPD10 is done with Maker 2.

They have been doing concepts/prototypes of this new 2D Mario game, once Maker 2 was released in June 2019 they begun working in full on this new 2D Mario, while Maker 2 was still getting content via 2 bigger updates (December 2019 and April 2020). Not to mention the hiring for this game which showed up in October 2019, which gives us a pretty good estimate on when things likely really started to go down.
The credits for Pikmin 4 are going to be very interesting. Because it's very possible that some of the people who didn't work on Splatoon 3 worked on Pikmin 4, although I imagine that following its work on the additional content on Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Eighting is also involved.

Nintendo is the king of doing the thing that seems the least logical though. A June direct seems like it should be nailed on but I'm braced for disappointment, would rather be pleasantly surprised by it.
I have no idea when the next Direct will be, but I have to admit that I've never been a fan of the "because Nintendo" rhetoric.

Direct Mini or whatever you like to name it with...

• Everybodys 1 2 Switch (June, shadowdropped)
  • F-Zero GX Remaster (September)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (November)
  • New 2D Mario (October)
  • DLC of current titles
  • Third party announcements

I imagine everyone should be more or less pleased with these.
I'm quite surprised that the remaster Bandai Namco is working on is not mentioned more often in this thread. I mean, it's something much more solid than a rumor, it's officially coming from Bamco, and it's explicitly mentioned as being commissioned by Nintendo. I don't know what it will be (Kid Icarus Uprising HD? Starfox Assault HD? It can even be the F-Zero remaster?) but if a remaster is going to be announced at the next Direct, this project is the one we're currently most certain of.

I have a other worry, they really are going to drop Pikmin 4 or F-Zero GX with a trailer on youtube and thats it?

Pikmin 4 NEEDS a full fledged direct trailer and also does F-Zero GX

Shadowdrops only work if you called Mario or Zelda
To be fair, Pikmin 4 has already received a lot of attention, between its surprise announcement and its first trailer during the last two Direct, so I think Nintendo will do what it takes to promote the game's release. For F-Zero, if this remaster exists, which I hope with all my heart even if the Next Level Games rumor leaves me quite perplexed, I imagine less good will to promote it. Maybe something similar to the Prime Remastered announcement.
Pikmin 4 just looks like a $60 expansion of Pikmin 3, what did they spend a decade working on?

/s
The marketing of Pikmin 4 is really bad.

There's a difference between ignoring them and pissing them off. Nintendo always has games dated for future release. The only game they have after Pikmin 4 is Metroid Prime 4 (TBA).
You really don't want to piss off the shareholders. They know so much about what they're talking about. I imagine they're still pissed about Nintendo's absurd decision to release a game system in 2017 instead of focusing entirely on Candy Crush clones and Mario on Playstation like they wanted. (sorry, I had to)

The idea that Nintendo wouldn't hold a Direct or similar presentation where they announce first party games until September is frankly absurd, given the current situation. There are plausible scenarios where it doesn't happen in June, specifically, but they need to announce multiple games soon, to replenish their almost exhausted upcoming games lineup, and Directs are their typical venue for that.
What I can't figure out with the whole "After TOTK, Nintendo will stop releasing games and become a dating app" narrative is that there is no reason for this to happen. No matter when the Switch 2 arrives, Nintendo, being a game publisher, is bound to keep releasing games. Even the dying and abandoned Wii U had Color Splash less than 6 months before the Switch's release, so I guess they still have plans for their 125 million selling hardware. They necessarily have things to showcase. They necessarily have content for a Nintendo Direct.

I think there is no way they would not at this point, but we will see next month how exactly it's gonna look. 2.5D like style ala 3D World theme is in the cards.
I'm very excited about how they're going to reinvent 2D Mario. I wonder how much Tezuka will be involved. And just like 2D Zelda, I think these are perfect games to let emerging talents express themselves and gain experience before going on to work on other projects. For example, TOTK's co-director Yuya Sato had one of his first experiences as a designer on New Super Mario Bros 2 before he joined the Breath Of The Wild team.

It's funny that you mention 3D World, because I think that format would be absolutely perfect for a reinvention of Donkey Kong. It would make even more sense if EPD Tokyo is actually working on a DK project. This would allow them to distinguish themselves from Country while using their know-how.

Yeah, I'm aware the game technically had announced they'd make paid DLC in the future, I said "revealed" as in had its content revealed and opened to buy(opposed to BotW and Xenoblade and FE already having their expansion passes getting trailers and being up for pre order before the games were out). But I'm sorry for not specifying what I meant.

I think Splatoon 2 tho didn't have any clue about paid DLC happening until Octo Expansion was announced in March, right?

Both Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3(also the Pokémon games) will end up having their story expansions releasing more than 10 months after the games were out(I think Splatoon 3 might even see Side Order slipping to 2024 tbh), Animal Crossing New Horizons had its paid DLC coming a year and a half after the base game.

I think it's a mix of them not wanting to have like a 100 US$ game + DLC bundle day 1, TotK being the first 70$ game and them wanting to avoid further backlash from announcing DLC before the game was out, the very tight to chest marketing that didn't want to spoil story(DLC would have story elements they wouldn't want to slip before the game was out) and maybe the expansion being bigger in content than that of BotW that it takes more time, so the final wave comes by summer or fall 2024, that led them to make it differently from what they did with BotW.
Pikmin need at least an extended look at the very least

And F-Zero should at least in a direct to have any chance at all, twitter dropping dead franchise is not a good idea
One could make an argument about Pikmin, since it already got gameplay revealed, that it would only need an overview trailer or that it's final trailer could be shadowdropped (like Bayonetta 3 release date trailer).

But yeah, it isn't 2020 for them to shadowdrop game announcements anymore. Let alone a remaster of a franchise that's been dormant for 20 years. It has to be announced in a Direct.
I don't think they'd do a first party Direct, but a Direct in early August could be interesting in terms of the amount of possible game announcements it would have. Would make September Direct games and June Direct games all be condensed into it.

Imagine a Direct that has 2D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 (I mean if it's in August even if it's holiday 2024 they'd reveal it, just look at Bayo 3), Fire Emblem remake, F-Zero remaster, DK(tho it could be February) and more all on it lol.

I think a June Direct that has 2D Mario, MP4, F-Zero, Pikmin 4 final trailer and handful of third party games, then a September Direct that has Fire Emblem and DK revealed for H1 2024 is more likely tho.

The credits for Pikmin 4 are going to be very interesting. Because it's very possible that some of the people who didn't work on Splatoon 3 worked on Pikmin 4, although I imagine that following its work on the additional content on Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Eighting is also involved.
Yes, I assume that EPD5 resources have been allocated to both 2D Mario and Pikmin 4, since a lot of Splatoon devs are former Pikmin/2D Mario staff anyway. But by the time Pikmin 4 is released (July 21st) the 2D Mario will be announced already so we would not have to lot at credits as some clues (ala Splatoon 3.)

it feels so complete and I'd much rather it stay that way
If that's the case you just shouldn't buy it. Since the game feels complete for you you won't have to.

but me and a lot of other people would love dlc for this game so Wishing against it is honestly cruddy.

I mean they'll have an indie showcase in August probably. They're pretty consistent with that I honestly I don't think that'll change.

We're going to get first part game announcements before gamescome. Don't know in what form. But I bet my life's savings on it

Each passing day, we are closer to seeing how they evolved 2D Mario. It's been 10 years, and soon will be 11 when the game releases. Maker 1 and 2 are still mainline 2D Mario games but they are still Maker games in the end (altough Maker 2 also has a singleplayer campain). With Pikmin 4 releasing in just 2 months, this is the year when both of these are coming after 11 and 10 year haitus respectively. To put that into perspective on how long it actually is - both NSBU and Pikmin 3 were shipped under EAD 4. They are now EPD10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom