• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo is the king of doing the thing that seems the least logical though. A June direct seems like it should be nailed on but I'm braced for disappointment, would rather be pleasantly surprised by it.
I mean, the fact that they are going to Gamescom makes me pretty confident in this. People are mentioning Twitter drops all the time but aside from obvious COVID mode or EPD4 games, they are not announcing other EPD games this way.

Imagine thinking there is no June Direct this year.

This year's situation is different than last year, it actually makes sense this year to be a full General. In July? No. That's Pikmin. In August? No, it would be too close to September one. I would argue that doing it in July would still be too close to September but this year's September Direct will be later in the month. It's gonna be June no matter what.
Could also be in May 🤷‍♂️ /s

I'll be honest - the fact that none of the insiders have heard anything yet when they apparently heard about the Partner Showcase from last year 2 months in advance definitely has me a bit more pessimistic on a Direct happening anytime soon... And yet I'm not really worried about Nintendo's output thanks to their attendance at Gamescom, since that pretty much confirms they'll have some games playable there, meaning that they will be announced beforehand, one way or another.

After Tears of the Kingdom, I've got a new hot take about the June Direct.

There won't be one, because Nintendo knows that by next month everyone will still be busy torturing Koroks. No one is going to stop to watch a marketing presentation.

Could also be in May 🤷‍♂️ /s

I'll be honest - the fact that none of the insiders have heard anything yet when they apparently heard about the Partner Showcase from last year 2 months in advance definitely has me a bit more pessimistic on a Direct happening anytime soon... And yet I'm not really worried about Nintendo's output thanks to their attendance at Gamescom, since that pretty much confirms they'll have some games playable there, meaning that they will be announced beforehand, one way or another.
My understanding is that anyone knew about Partner Showcase last year because it indeed was Partner Showcase, it's 3rd party focused. We had reports from people about it who are not really not into reporting this kind of stuff. General Direct is a whole different story imo.

I'm going to be pessimistic and say September. I think they'll give TOTK a lot of time to breathe, release Pikmin 4 over the summer and then give us a new Direct in September.

I'm going to be pessimistic and say September. I think they'll give TOTK a lot of time to breathe, release Pikmin 4 over the summer and then give us a new Direct in September.
I agree with this. The most we will get is a third party mini direct much like last year. They have TotK and Pikmin 4 carrying them through summer.

I can also see a Pikmin 4 Treehouse stream accompanying a 3rd party mini direct.

My understanding is that anyone knew about Partner Showcase last year because it indeed was Partner Showcase, it's 3rd party focused. We had reports from people about it who are not really not into reporting this kind of stuff. General Direct is a whole different story imo.
Yeah, from what I remember pretty much everyone knew that there was going to be something about Mario + Rabbids on that day, so it was probably Ubisoft leaking like usual. (Although if I recall correctly, some other announcements were teased by insiders as well)

The problem is... even general Directs have many 3rd party games so there should be some rumblings well in advance of the presentation, and yet there's nothing.

If there was no June show and Pikmin comes out a few weeks into July, there would suddenly be no dated first party games at all and third party games that pay and rely on promotion for Nintendo would be left hanging.

There will be a June show of some sort, the needs are too high.

The problem is... even general Directs have many 3rd party games so there should be some rumblings well in advance of the presentation, and yet there's nothing.
Well, not really. Some past examples, last year's September Direct Grubb said he heard of Direct on the 12th around the last day of August, so around 13 days in advance. For this year's February Direct he said around 6 days before official announcement that it's coming the week of 6th, so only around 7 days before. We still got plenty of time.

I think they can get away with no June show. ToTK holds them over until Pikmin in July. Then August is probably the Splatoon expansion. And we get a mid August show with a September game (probably a Wii U HD port) and an October 3rd party game, plus ToTK DLC and Pokemon DLC to round out the year. They definitely don't need to do anything crazy IMO.

Totally expecting twitter drops, maybe a summer partner Direct mini, but no full Direct until September. Without E3 to tie them down to June, two major Directs a year (spring and fall) works better for Nintendo's schedule.
That's what I'm expecting too, but it is weird that they didn't announce couple more second half games in their February Direct if they were going to wait all the way till September to announce another major title.

Kinda want it to be mid June so this can hopefully all be over... but also I need that time for Tears of the Kingdom sooo

Basically once the Xbox show is over, then we can see where things sit. I don't see anything happening before that.
So the main "hype season" schedule currently looks like:

Playstation: 5/25
Apple WWDC: 6/5 (keynote) - 6/9
SGF: 6/8
XBox: 6/11

(Sources: https://www.gematsu.com/events and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Developers_Conference)

I wouldn't rule out Nintendo going after XBox, but my gut is saying 6/1 or 6/6 or 6/7 feel like good dates if they want to do something in the first half of the June.

EDIT: Looks like I missed that there's some smaller events on the 1st and 6th but right now the 7th is wide open aside from WWDC and being on the eve of the Summer Geoff's

So the main "hype season" schedule currently looks like:

Playstation: 5/25
Apple WWDC: 6/5 (keynote) - 6/9
SGF: 6/8
XBox: 6/11

(Sources: https://www.gematsu.com/events and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Developers_Conference)

I wouldn't rule out Nintendo going after XBox, but my gut is saying 6/1 or 6/6 or 6/7 feel like good dates if they want to do something in the first half of the June.

EDIT: Looks like I missed that there's some smaller events on the 1st and 6th but right now the 7th is wide open aside from WWDC and being on the eve of the Summer Geoff's
14th/15th remains my bet. Outside of E3-mandated Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are Nintendo's preferred days in the Switch era for their general presentation. It also means a month has elapsed for the dust to settle from Zelda, there's a full month before Pikmin 4 to begin promotion, and it leaves decent sized marketing windows for any announced 2023 games.

14th/15th remains my bet. Outside of E3-mandated Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are Nintendo's preferred days in the Switch era for their general presentation. It also means a month has elapsed for the dust to settle from Zelda, there's a full month before Pikmin 4 to begin promotion, and it leaves decent sized marketing windows for any announced 2023 games.
This is my bet for weeks too now, not to mention that they will do it before Pikmin 4 promotions really starts the week after with a dedicated Direct. It makes much more sense to show trailer and announce Pikmin 4 Direct to air week after in a General presentation.

This is my bet for weeks too now, not to mention that they will do it before Pikmin 4 promotions really starts the week after with a dedicated Direct. It makes much more sense to show trailer and announce Pikmin 4 Direct to air week after in a General presentation.

Qdhy3Y6.png

I'm going in with the expectations of a mini (partner or otherwise) to carry us until September as well as a Pikmin Direct. But if we get more than that, that'd be great. Though I'm perfectly content with Zelda, Pikmin, and the hype of the other consoles carrying me until post-summer.

Lmao atm this thread is just an endless cycle of people coming in and saying that they believe Nintendo will show nothing or minimal things until September, then others point out the evidence for a June Direct to convince mostly themselves that it exists. Rince n repeat

One thing that people forget is that Nintendo likes at least two months of marketing before a game is released. Only shadow drops and one extreme case of COVID contradicts this rule. If Nintendo has something for August it will probably be announced in June one way or another.

Yea twitter drops and partner showcase seem realistic. Or maybe a mini.

Nintendo has so far only done that strategy at the height of COVID and in a year where all their major second half games were already announced. They specifically don't really announce new games outside of some very specific categories on Twitter outside of 2020. Twitter + Partner Showcase is not the realistic scenario for this year, it's heavily pessimistic.
Remember there are no more major games after TotK, we're gonna go 12-24 months with no games.
The source on this rumor is quite dubious and gives off some big sour grapes vibes.

Lmao atm this thread is just an endless cycle of people coming in and saying that they believe Nintendo will show nothing or minimal things until September, then others point out the evidence for a June Direct to convince mostly themselves that it exists. Rince n repeat
I mean… you just described every Direct thread in history, that’s how we roll

One thing that people forget is that Nintendo likes at least two months of marketing before a game is released. Only shadow drops and one extreme case of COVID contradicts this rule. If Nintendo has something for August it will probably be announced in June one way or another.
opinion: they might not have anything for August

just as they left June open to let Zelda occupy mindshare for a while, I suspect Pikmin 4 will be given as much space for its success as possible

furthermore, I expect the future of 2D Mario to arrive on September 15, 2023, so an August game could crowd it unnecessarily

Nintendo has published only one full price game in August over the Switch’s entire lifespan, and it fell on the very last day of the month. It’s not a priority month for them, for whatever reason.

Odds are, there is no August game.

Nintendo has published only one full price game in August over the Switch’s entire lifespan, and it fell on the very last day of the month. It’s not a priority month for them, for whatever reason.

Odds are, there is no August game.
I do think that releasing a game in August is a tough choice. Its after the "big blockbuster summer" season and before the start of "holiday shopping" season so marketing might see it as a waste of time and resources.

The two first party exceptions were M&R (published by Ubisoft launch year of the switch) and AC a new IP (that I think had no choice because 2019 was stacked with first party games)

Honestly I always see August as the border between H1 and H2. I know it doesn't make sense but it perfectly divides the first and second 'halves' because it's always empty.

With that in mind, 2023 is looking to be the best H1 of Switch for me. Quite bizarre so late into the console's lifespan, but there's been so much good stuff so far: TotK, Pikmin 4, Xeno 3 dlc, MK8 dlc, Prime Remastered that all interest me. Also plenty of other stuff like FE: Engage, Kirby remake, Octopath 2, Bayo origins, Advance Wars. And that doesn't even take into account the Mario Movie (I know it's not really a game, but still)

opinion: they might not have anything for August

just as they left June open to let Zelda occupy mindshare for a while, I suspect Pikmin 4 will be given as much space for its success as possible

furthermore, I expect the future of 2D Mario to arrive on September 15, 2023, so an August game could crowd it unnecessarily
I could actually see Side Order releasing in August, perfect slot.

2D Mario can arrive that soon without a problem. Maker 1 released on September 15th (but that was tied to anniversary) that is on September 13th and they got a huge campain for Mario 30th so that's not the case this year. Am not sure if around 3 months for marketing is enough for this, maybe late September early October? Depends of what else they got. Even Maker 2 had around 4 months. After I finish Zelda I plan to do a mega-post on this future 2D Mario with predictions.

They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games They need to announce games they need to announce games…

If they really make us wait for a Direct, even just past the middle of June, I could see no August OR September game (minus shadowdrops). Instead, we just get the October-November-December combo we got in 2018 again

They’ve gotta have something in the pipeline, even if it’s meant for Redacted and not Switch 1. That said, especially if most of their upcoming tentpole releases are targeting Redacted (and I’d be very skeptical of Nintendo’s judgement if they weren’t), no Direct until fall makes sense. On the other hand, their release schedule is completely empty post-Pikmin 4 besides DLC and I’m sure people are going to be asking Questions if that news drought drags on too long. I’m tentatively Team Fall for now, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they decided to hold a summer Direct anyway.

Listen up Masahiro Samurai. I know you're enjoying yourself with your Youtube channel. I'm sure development on Kid Icarus Uprising 2 is going well. You said Smash Ultimate is complete. But is it really? Does it feel complete to you? There has been so much since development ended. New Zelda. New Xenoblade. Even Pikmin is coming back. Doesn't Smash Ultimate feel less ultimate without these? There's a new Fire Emblem game that is just begging to be forced into a Smash game. Search your feelings. You know want to come back. Nothing is over until it's truly over. Even Mario Kart 8 is getting more DLC. It's time. It's time for you to announce the Smash Me Harder Booster Pack for Nintendo Switch Online.

Look, I'm not even asking for new fighters although Noa and Mio would be excellent additions. Maybe just new stages, skins, and items. We need hot Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf from Tears of the Kingdom. How about punished Shulk from Future Connected? Colony 4 would make for a good stage. Jubilife Village from Pokemon Legends is begging to be put into Smash Bros. There's some neat looking places in Metroid Dread.

What would Iwata want? Well, he was a close friend so he'd probably want you to be happy and to work on things you were truly passionate about. So scratch that. Consider what I, selfish Nintendo fan, wants. Don't you want me to be happy? The Nintendo fandom needs you. They say they were ready for the Smash hype to be done. But they're liars. They are addicted to the thrill of seeing more Smash content. They need the endless debate and speculation. Feed me I mean us Sakurai. Do it.

frame_0000.jpg

Do it.

"Twitter drop" "Twitter drop" "Twitter drop" they all scream

But what was the last first party retail twitter drop? Origami King...? Even Bayo Origins got a reveal, just not by Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom